Northwestern State University of Louisiana

« See more reviews of Northwestern State University of Louisiana

Stay true to yourself from start to finish. You can find schools that fit nearly all of your desires and needs. List your priorities, from financial aid to school size and location, available degrees, student:faculty ratio, housing availability and affordability, student life, religious affiliation, resource availability, extra-curricular activities, and anything else that comes to mind when considering schools, and make the most of your opportunities in finding the right school for you. Use all of your resources, such as the internet, library, family and friends, etc. to find the best match for you. Communicate with recruiters, current students, friends, people in the community, and faculty as in depth as possible to determine whether your personal needs can be met. Make some connections with people at your desired campus before you enroll by contacting faculty online or by phone and visiting campus. When you start school, meet your advisor as soon as possible and embrace opportunities on campus to make new friends. Your roommate should not be your best friend: people change, but room assignments do not. If an event, class, or organization interests you, go for it. Study and be organized! College is what you make of it.

The most important thing to look for in a college, in my opinion, is the level of social involvement at the college. How many options do you/does your child have while attending this college? If the college has a curriculum similar to other college in the area you are applying, but has no extracurricular/social options for you/your child to get involved in, then I'm sure you'll ultimately have a dissatisfied college experience. Getting involved with organizations and finding people who enjoy similar activities as yourself helps every aspect of your college life. Sitting in your room studying may always get you grades, but going outside and spending energy in other events, either physical, mental, or just social helps recharge your brain just as much, and help focus your studies as well. Fraternities and sororities aren't the only answer. Simply getting involved in student-run groups can be amazing experiences. From video gaming groups, to student government, intramural sports, music, and extracurricular groups within your major, all will help make your college experience amazing, and will also make that much of a difference on resumes and applications for post-bachelor education and jobs.

As a freshman, you might be required to attend an orientation .The advisor there will have a great deal of advice . You can ignore the boring bits, such as the college's history. However, there are some things you will need to know about college, such as what classes everyone should take, and, ultimately, what the best directions are for having a happy graduation and tailored-for-you education. One class everyone should take is an introduction to sociology class. You will understand how society works and where and how you want to be involved in it. Or, if you're the anarchist type, how best to not be involved in it. Psychology is great, too, but be prepared for family members and friends to be sick of your over-analyzing everything from their eating habits to their Myers-Briggs personality types. The real reason psychology is a great class to take is that, theoretically, the more aware of your flaws you are, the closer you are to correcting them..Among these are which classes you can't go wrong with taking, and, overall how to make the most out of a college education while avoiding some pretty bad pitfalls.

My #1 change would be I would not spend so much money applying to colleges. Instead I would have saved the money and just planned on going to junior college getting my general studies done, which is what I ended up doing. My parents spent a good $3,500 on applications and SAT preparation, which I didn't really need. I think everyone just gets caught up in applying to school and SAT scores, and in the end, it didn't really matter for me. You will still get into a good four-year school without SAT preparation or even the highest scores if you attend a junior college. I believe the application process is just a way for schools to make money when you consider the majority of the applicants do not get accepted. Also, instead of trying to be involved in everything in high school, I would concentrate on just one or two things. I was involved in everything ASB, AP classes, theater, cheer, choir, NCL and in the end it really didn't make a difference. So do what interests you without thinking this will look good on an application because it probably won't matter anyway.

To all of the parents out there, make sure that you encourage your children to really research what the school they want to attend. If you have decided on your feild of study, reasearch the requirements for that degree thoroughly. Also as part of the preparation for college, good study habits are essential. The student MUST usehis or her high school experience to develop good solid study habits. It doesn't matter if you are the smartest or the least intelligent person in your class, if you have good HABITS then the information in the classes you take will be easier to learn than if you had poor habits. You dont have to have life all figured out when you get to college. Part of the college experience is to have fun and to really explore yourself and to find out and establish who you really are and what your role is in society. be open minded and willing to learn from older students who are more experienced than you. In conclusion, i will let you in on the secret to graduating college: GO TO CLASS!!!!!! Thanks and good luck to all who may read this for advice!

One of the things that people tell you all the time is that college is a completely different creature from high school. That, at least, is certainly true, but what they don't tell you is exactly how. Your entire life will be thrown into the air - if you were the nerdy kid who was bullied in high school, no one else knows that. If you were the jock who everyone loved in high school, no one cares in college. You are who you make of yourself, so if you want to abuse your newfound freedom to do nothing but sit in the dorm and play video games, that's fine; people will treat you as the person you pretend to be. If you're friendly and talk to people, they'll happily talk back, especially because their lives are just as upended as yours. Finally, remember that your professors are people, just like you. While they might be tired of new freshmen, if you introduce yourself to them during their office hours, and if you are persistent with talking with them individually on a weekly basis, they will be far happier to help you than they would be otherwise.

I would warn myself to take college seriously, to do the absolute best that I could academically, and to hang in there because four years passes a lot faster than I could ever imagine. I would advise myself to take advantage of any scholarships possible and to have confidence in myself. I did the complete opposite when I entered college six years ago. I was not confident and did not realize the potential that I had. I dropped out of college and went to work full time. Along the way I had a son and quickly realized how essential an education would be in providing him with the life he deserves. I am a full time nursing student and have raised my grade point average significantly since the first time. I know that my college journey would have been much easier if I would have finished school the first time. I would not have to juggle school, work and a child but I do believe that my son is the motivation that I did not have back then. If I could do it all over again I would take school seriously and receive my degree before I had children.

Knowing what I know now, looking back there is much I wish I would have known. The most important thing I would look back and tell my self is to get out there and active. If you are undecided about a major take all your general education cources while taking one entro cource to each of the major you are interested in and see which one grabs you. School is number one and should always come first. I would highly suguest not worrying about money and getting a full time job because as soon as you start making money that becomes your prority not school. Reach out to all the department within the school. You will have to do all the leg work for information and knowleges of what you willl need to do to complete your degree. I will highly recomand taking a workshop on how to fund your schooling. School should be fun but not to much fun. School is much eariers if you keep to a schedule and do not put work off. Respect the oportunity of being able to go to college, even if you have to work harder for it. You will thank youself later.

If I could go back, I would tell myself to not rush my year away because the people I have with all of my life, I will most likely not see 90% of them again. Next, I would say that college is totally different than highschool in which the way one has to study. Study habits were one of the biggest changes because you do not go to the same classes everyday in college; certain classes are only on certain days. I would tell myself to learn how to make a planner. The biggest thing about not going to the same classes everyday is you may forget what you did on Monday because you did something totally different on Tuesday. I think for the most part a person has to get use to going without. I am fortunate to have what I have, but college is expensive and it really begins to hit home when you find out your parents are doing without so that you can have. Money is tight, so you have to spend wisely. You must prioritize your needs and wants and even your time. Have fun, make memories, and remember it all because time flies.

Always have an open mind when choosing a college. You will be more satisfied if you pick a college where you feel most at home and you know you will love it. You have to look at all aspects. The name of a college does not make the college, its the people, the atmosphere, the professors, the spirit, the activities, every little thing imaginable. It never fails to tour all of the prospective school during the school year to get a feel of campus life. Always go with your heart. To make the most of your experience at college, you really should get involved as much as possible. Going to class is not all there is to going to college, it is the best time of your life, if you make it that way. Joining organization, attending sporting events, theater productions, and etc. helps you to get out and have fun. You should also never be shy, especially in classes concerning your major. The people in those classes will most likely be with you throughout your college career, so make friends and have fun while getting a great education.