Shenandoah University

« See more reviews of Shenandoah University

Chooising the right college is honestly less important than how you spend your time while in college. Most people have an obsession with finding the "perfect school." The perfect school doesn't exist; you just have to make the best decision based on the reputation of the school, your financial situation, and the "feel" of the school during your visit. You'll have to make compromises with any school, so don't stress so much about making the "right" decision. There are successful people from colleges you've never heard of, and homeless people from Harvard. The important part is when you are in school. Take advantage of all of the resources the school has to offer: the libraries (you'll miss it once you're gone), the fine arts department (fantastic, professional-quality performances for free or really cheap), clubs/fraternities/sororities (you'll make some of your best friends), and, most importantly, the professors (expert advice available during office hours - people would pay hundreds of dollars for this service). The potential to learn and grow at college is limited only by how much you are willing to give. Be sure to give all you can, wherever you go.

For the past two months I have wished that I could turn back the hands of time, because of what I am learning now as an adult learner. I would have forced myself to study more than to just settle for average. I would have also never taken advantage of time and most of all the resources that funded my education. Since, earning my first degree and working on my second degree in nursing, it is now time for me to purse what I believe I have been placed on earth to do and that is to help underserved individuals get access to healthcare, so that they can also have the best quality of life. So, when I begin to reminisce about my past and feel like it was not meaningfully, I say to myself “everything happens for a reason” and this is what I needed to push myself to the limit to realize that I am much stronger than I thought. I was not mentally ready during my first four years of undergraduate and now I am even more determined to achieve my degree by next fall, praying that the financial issues will not deter my plans. Thank You

I would advise parents, that want to ensure the best environment for their child to receive as well as the best education and college experience, to travel and tour universities with their child first. Do some research prior to the visitations to make sure the curriculum of the specific major validates the needs of the child and then make the decision based on the size of the campus and the activities that are offered as well as the community of the location that surrounds the school. Some students tend to base their decisions on the biggest school and a school with a good visual impression before taking a look at their courses and the size of the classroom, so parents would be a significant help for finding a school that best suits the child. Students should take at least a semester to just focus on their studies to get the feel of the atmosphere of the college experiece before diving into activities, as well as asking students about activities and how to be involved, especially within their major to meet peers of the same interest and have fun outside of class.

Advice to parents is be supportive, ask questions, give advice but let the student make decisions on their own. Advoid giving lectures to the student and be willing to listen to student. Keep in touch with the student without smothering them. Be willing to let them grow and learn and most of all tell them you love them and you are proud of them often. Advice to students is take advantage of the time when you don't have major responsibilities of life and take as many classes as you can handle. Learn to schedule your time wisely and be responsible. Do your best in all things. If you say you will do something then follow through and do it. Give back to the community by helping others. Say thank you to your teachers and parents for there help and support. Call your parents to let them know how you are doing and tell them you love them. Also get a part time job and help earn some money to help with the expense of your education. Realize the sacrifice your parents have made so you are able to go to school. Balance is key when in college.

Julian, Never - ever! - settle for less than 100%. Your career and future are in your hands, and the only person stopping you, is you. Aim high, follow your dreams, and never lose sight of your goals. I know you aren't even sure on what you really want to do with your life, but if what music is what gets you up in the morning, have confidence and know you are on the right path. To be honest, you won't even really know what you want to do with yourself when you reach 23, but I can tell you that your love for music doesn't dwindle, but grows significantly with each new day. All this said, remember to have fun! If I regret anything about college it's getting too worked up and stressed with all the work and deadlines. Remember that you need to maintain a proper balance of work and play in your life, and forgetting either will drag you down. Go exploring - hang out downtown with friends or take advantage of the beautiful Shenandoah Mountains and leave the schoolwork back home. You can do this - you have your whole life ahead of you! Sincerely, Me

All high school teachers said, college professors are not going to hold your hand will not care if you need help. In a certain extent that maybe true, but you are given a syllabus on first day, outlining everything you will be doing and the times everything is due; therefor, there is no excuses. It is responsibility, as an adult, every college student needs to learn. Every professor I had provided their e-mail, phone number, and office hours to talk to them outside of class. You must learn time management and do class work at any free time. And yes, college is expensive. Financial Aid will not pay for your college. There is plethora of scholarships and grants and have to apply as early as possible and take advantage. I told myself I will never attend community college, but I could not afford an university. I had small classes with amazing professors. They are attentive and make themselves available. Remember, it does not matter where you start from, so start somewhere. What matters is where you graduate from.

When graduating high school you have to make a pretty important decision about what your going to do with your future; if your going to continue your education, what feild you would persue, where you would go, and how you're going to pay for it? It's a lot of questions but take them one at a time and think rationally. Remember everything works out in the end, you just need to put in the time and effort. Ask for advice and use the resources around you but keep in mind the decision are yours, no one knows better than you. It's your life. Go to school with an open mind and egerness to learn and explore the world; make connections and have your mind blown. Be willing to grow and change as a person. You are going to find new things that interest you and learn the most important life lessons. College is a great atmosphere away from the stress of living with family. You will learn how to balance everything and continue to have fun. College is the best time of our lives and there is no reason why you can not succeed.

I would tell myself that you don't have to be super smart and know everything to go to college. You are there to learn not to show how smart you are. If you get degrees in college your chances of making more money are much greater than if you don't. You don't need money to go to school. Finiancian aid can assist you in books, tuition, and even pay you money through out the semister so don't think you are not good enough, smart enough, or rich enough. College campuses have many resourses and many ppl to help you to succeed but you have to look and ask for it. If you want to do well and get good grades, than hold off on the partying until spring break, winter break or summer. You need to stay focused and apply yourself in all areas: Do your homework, study, get a tutor, use the labs, ask for help, eat right, get some exercize and most of all, get some sleep. If you fall behind on your rest, use the weekend to catch up, it matters. Last of all have fun. It's the journey not the destination.

I really needed to know everything I know now about college and the transition from high school to college. The most important thing I would tell my high school senior self would be to work on as many scholarships as possible and to work very hard on the essays. The second thing I would advise is that being involved in extracuricular activties , if only for one year, is so vital to finding out what major you are looking towards. I would advise myself to get involved in my passion for acting with a whole heart and put my all into it. If I could go back in time I would tell myself to charish every second of highschool and to focus on school work and not all of the drama that comes with high school. But, scholarships are very important and not just for college but to help youself out in the future so you can work for a living and not work just to pay off loans. The last thing I would tell myself would be to really think about what I'm good and at and where I can go career wise with my talents.

The most important things in finding the right college is DON'T STRESS OUT and DON'T BE AFRAID. It is very scary to think that you will soon be leaving your home and friends and going to a place that is foreign to you. What makes it even scarier is that there will always be a level of uncertainty when choosing a school, because you won't completely know for sure if it's right for you until you experience it. My advice to you is TAKE RISKS...do not hesitate to shoot for your top choice, even if you think it is way beyond you. One of the worst things you can do is underestimate yourself. DO YOUR RESEARCH, as much as it reminds you of how hard the next step in your life is going to be, it'll be worth it when you find the place you believe to be right for you. Lastly...BE TRUE TO YOURSELF. Remember, where you go to college is YOUR choice, and by striving to be real and to know yourself, that choice will benefit you for years to come. And don't forget to HAVE FUN and BE SAFE!