New Haven, CT
Southern Connecticut State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Connecticut State University

Joy

Choosing a college is like choosing a soul mate. You must follow your heart! Dont let outside factors influence your decision. You have specific standards when it comes to finding a mate and that is the same as finding a university. You have specific standards on what it is you are looking for a school to have so go for it. Never lower your standards because you will be cheating yourself out from what you really do deserve as a college students. Search intensely but choose wisely. Know that you have that support sysytem from not o nly your family and friends but from professors and the university itself.

The best thing about my school is the setting. The school is in the city making it fun to not just learn about your campus but also about the city of New Hven.

The worst thing about the school is the housing distribution. The waiting list for housing is constantly increasing each year.

It is resonably priced in comparison to the tution of other universities. The buildings and classrooms are newly remodeled, large, and comfortable. The teachers are always willing to help and the financial aid department is definitely full of helpful employees.

I speak from experience when I say, DO NOT LET YOUR EGO GET IN THE WAY OF YOUR COLLEGE DECISION! When applying to the different universities I knew that money was an issue. I applied to the state universities as well as Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart was my first choice and I ultimately chose to go there; I felt that I was better than SCSU and the other state universities. However, after completing my first year at Sacred Heart, I had no desire to go back. It was too small, too expensive, and lacked the diversity and carefree environment that I desired. After I transfered to SCSU I couldn't be happier. The campus was bigger, newer, full of diverse and friendly people, and the tuition/room and board was way less expensive than that of SHU. Don't let the name or price be the sole basis of your decision; allow yourself to look past that and more into what you will get out of each university.

The diversity among the students. My Freshmen year I attended Sacred Heart University and it was almost completely white. There were about four Asians and five African American students. The majority of the students were very wealthy and stuck up. However, at SCSU there are so many different ethnicities and down to earth people. I have really enjoyed my time there so far.

LaVera

I would advise parents or students to do lots of research on colleges. I think it is very important to know what you plan on majoring first to find out what schools have the best programs. The second thing I would have in my mind is location. Now that you have found out who has the best programs, where can you see yourself living. Making visits to collges lets you see what is going on, on campus and gives you a view of the surrounding area. It is also important to talk to students on that campus. Ask them about there experience at the school and access to other things outside of campus. Lastly before you make any final choices pick your top rated colleges by you, and ask to visit those school for a few days. This helps you feel as if you are really on campus and the way things run. Staying on campus for thoses few days, along with your visits to the campus, talking to students and faculty will really help you make your final choice.

Students who have made up their minds to major in education, engineering, nursing or computer science should really attend this school. SCSU offers the best programs and place you in you career very early.

I don't think there is a certain type of person who should not attend this school. There are many students here who have different lives but we all are here to recieve an education and that is the most important thing.

Neil

Nursing Program, and Teaching Program.

The biggest piece of advice that I would consider giving parents or students about finding a college would be to make sure your looking for yourself, or in a parents point let the student decide. You will know were and when you will want to go to school on your own. It took me a good year to find out on my own that I did want to attend college and were I wanted to go and my parents let me have as much time as I needed to make these dissisions. I made these dissisions on my own and now I attend School for me, and I learn for me. I don?t feel as thought I was being pushed into school at all, and I?m having more fun, and learning much more now than I would be if I were forced into going to college right out of High School. The transition from High School to college is not thought in High School and it takes a bit of self learning to figure these things out. As for making the most of your college experience, be yourself and never let anyone take that away from you.

Chaloise

My school is probably best known for the fact that people believe its a school where a lot of people go and drop out because they party too hard. There are a lot of slackers. But what I think is the positive part of this is that people originally think they can go to SCSU and not do any work to get a degree, but they are very wrong.

The advice I would give parents would be to leave your children alone! They can do it themselves - they're not babies. The advice I'd give the students is to get out and experience it all - don't wait for it to happen to you. Make it happen.

The best part about my school is that it is friendly and welcoming. I love meeting new people here because everyone is interested in making friends and having fun.

I would tell the parents and students to go out and see a lot of colleges before choosing which one you want to go to. I regret only going to see two schools. Do some research on the colleges find out what there is to do for fun. Students should get involved in something with the school. It helps you meet new and exciting people. And do not think its just for fun goind to college. You can have fun, just have to manage fun with your school work as well.

I wish I was informed of the different activities more. I was not informed of anything really before going in. I did not really make any friends the first year, but hoping this year since I know how this runs I will do a better job at being envolved.

I do not like how there is not much that goes on at our school. Nights are boring, unles you want to go out and spend 50 bucks going to a club.

Jeff

When looking for the right college you should apply to places where you want to go and where there is a lot of on campus activies and the college claims to have alot of social events and activities and to go with your gut instinct.

A lot of small tightly woven groups who aren't very outgoing... I came in as a transfer student and have had trouble being socially accepted. Also very few students live on campus... Alot of commuters and very little activity on the weekends.

Someone who doesn't get accepted anywhere else who isn't interested in college life.

Lisa

Everyone is very clicky.

Everyone is very clicky.

I would tell people, that when your a senior in high school most of the time everyone wants to get away from home. Everyone sees freedom and runs with it. I too did that, and attended a private college for 2 years. I transferred to southern ct because it was much cheaper. An education is an education, and one year at my old school could have been 4 years at Southern. The hype of college ends sophomore year and reality sinks in. Just keep it in mind because now I'll be paying back student loans for much longer than I could have had I went to southern all along.

Someone who wants to be close to home.

Katie

A very diverse school with many different activities.

A very diverse school with many different activities.

To look at colleges closely and make sure that thier child feels comfortable there. Make sure that the child is set with the way school is being paid for and how they will pay for the extras such as gas, food ect.

Colby

Talk to someone who has been through the process and visit the school before you apply to make sure it fits your personal nee...

Talk to someone who has been through the process and visit the school before you apply to make sure it fits your personal needs.

Southern Connecticut State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.