New Haven, CT
Southern Connecticut State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Connecticut State University

Stevie

If I were to go back in time to provide my younger self a word of advice on college, I would emphasize the importance of time management. When in college, one typically juggles school, work, extra-curricular activities, volunteer work, and spending time with friends and family. It is vital one learns to proritize in order to be successful throughout college. Organization and a handy calandar are essential for doing well with time managment. During my time in high school, teachers would gladly grant students extentions on major projects or the ability to make-up missing assignments, however, college professors have zero tolerance nor care for missing and/or ill-prepared assignments. I would most definitely warn my senior self of the differences and expectations of a successful college student.

The size! I had no idea how big the student body was. I come from a small middle school and an even smaller high school. Enrolling into such a big-campused college was a little intimidating a first.

Those interested in entering education or nursing fields would love Southern Connecticut State University. The majority of the student body are aspiring teachers, professors, or nurses.

Jamila

It's like a school for people who don't have a lot of money. The food could be better, and there isn't always a lot of stuff to do on the weekends. Everyone is really mature, and doesn't act childish about things. Everyone helps each other out if they can, and you make friends very easily. There is a lot of school pride.

The school does a lot of community service. Every year we help clean the streets of New Haven, and around Christmas time elementary school kids around New Haven come to the school to receive Christmas gifts and take pictures with Santa, and do arts & crafts. None of it is mandatory, but almost everyone on campus takes part in the community service opportunities. All in all the holiday traditions are my favorite because I get to make things and take things back home with me, and you get a lot of free stuff, and it also means a vacation is coming up :)

Describe the dorms.

There are dorms and there are also suites. There are 3 bedroom dorms and 2 bedroom dorms. The 3 bedroom costs less, and is what every freshman receives, unless the 2 bedrooms aren't taken up. In a 3 bedroom there's a single bed and a bunkbed. In every room there are only 2 closets, and there are desks, and columns of drawers, so with a 3 bedroom, making space for yourself can get tricky. The dorms are called straightlines because they are where all freshman live on campus. Depending on your credits, and when you are a sophomore, you are able to live in a suite, which is like an apartment, and they cost more because that's when you have to provide your own dishes and you don't get a meal plan like you would in a dorm. In the dorms you have 5 floors. There are guys floors and girls floors, and two RA's live on each floor in case you have a problem, and they also plan activities inside the dorm for residents to attend, so that they can meet each other. Don't bring too much stuff because the rooms aren't big, especially with 3 people in a room. Also bring a fan, a lot of people buy the big square fans because it can get hot in the rooms. When you first walk into a dorm, there's a big lounge area and a desk where two RA's sit, so that they can sign your guests into the building. There's a basement with a pool table and ping pong table. You have to swipe your school ID to get into the building, and of course use your key to get into your room.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to this school because there are a lot of clubs and events that keep students entertained, and the campus isn't too big. There are also job opportunities there to apply for.

What are your classes like?

I'm a journalism major, and right now I'm taking two journalism classes. One is a writing class about print and broadcast writing, but you don't do too much writing. The other class is about the history of journalism, and it's also a speech class. We had to recite the first ammendment, and do other speeches about some of the stuff we learned in the book for the class. Math is a hard subject for me, and so I'm taking one of my math classes for the second time. The math teacher I had my freshman year was the best, he was very interactive with the students, and wanted us to always ask questions. My other math teachers are speedy and if you do ask for help, they help you, but with a yelling tone of voice, which just doesn't help me at all. There's a tutor center, but students are your tutor, and they sometimes have their own way of solving the problems, which isn't always helpful to me. I'm also in biology, which is ok, but there's also a bio lab once a week, which is kind of hard when the tests for the class come because you have to remember lots of terms, but it you study A LOT, you'll pass it. English classes are ok, you just have to type your essays the way the professor wants you to, and your papers usually have to be at least 3 pages or more.

Greek life is very big at this school. Also, the most popular organizations are Procon, and RHA. They both put on events for students, both on and off campus. Our girls soccer team, boys football, rugby, and basketball team are all popular. Their are intramural sports to join, as well as club sports. Students who live in the dorms are better able to attend campus events, than commuter students because a lot of the events are at night. It's also easier to meet friends if you live on campus, because you have the whole day and weekends to do stuff together. A lot of people go home on the weekends because there isn't always much to do. There are shuttle buses on the weekends that take you to the mall, and the plaza if you want to go shopping. There's also field trips or other campus events on the weekends sometimes.

There is a mix of students on campus of all races, religions and sexual orientations. I don't think anyone would feel out of place here. You'll find that the majority of the girls wear leggings, and northface. The boys kind of just wear jeans and a shirt, but they do wear nice basketball sneakers, or skate shoes. Some students work on campus, or somewhere else, as well as going to school.

The most popular major is nursing. Some professors are willing to help you a lot, and others will expect you to do some things for yourself. I always go to ratemyprofessor.com before picking my class schedule. My major is journalism, which entails a lot of writing, but you don't do too many papers for journalism. My least favorite class is math. This year i'm actually taking the same math class over for a second time.

There's not really a stereotype. All kinds of students attend my school.

Jamila

I would tell myself to set aside time everyday to apply for scholarships. I would tell myself to do as many extra credit assignments as I could possibly do, if it would raise my grade.

A person who likes meeting new people and having new experiences and is open minded.

The financial aid department. They don't always answer my questions to where I can understand what steps I'm supposed to take next.

Christina

If I could somehow go back in time and give my high school self some advice about college I would tell her that you shouldn’t focus on what other people think about you. This is the time in your life where you can pursue your own interests and craft the life that you want and deserve to have. It is the time in which a shy girl; who would normally not talk in class due worrying of looking stupid, can blossom and realize she has a strong and intelligent mind that she can share with the world. A person who might not have had the best grades in high school can be transformed to someone who is on the dean’s list every semester. This is the place where doors to wonderful possibilities can open if you are willing to study hard. College is where you will meet different people and have experiences that will help shape who it is you are meant to me in this life.

The type of person that should attend SCSU is someone who has a thirst for knowledge and a friendly disposition. If you have those two qualities you will do incredibly well here. This is a place where you can be who you are without being judged or persecuted for it. For the price of attending this school you are getting an amazing education. This school teaches both the wealthy and underprivileged but at the same time treats them like equals.

Honestly the only really frustrating thing is that there are 3 classes for my specific degree that are only offered at night. I might be in the minority in this, but i wish there were 6 am classes. There are a few 7 am ones but i think it would help out more people if they started an hour earlier.

Karissa

There is nothing about myself that I would really change. I have been through alot and it had only made me stronger and had comprised me into the person I am today. Because I am already a diligent, career-orientated student, I would've enforced the idea of doing more volunteer work than I had done. I feel as though that participating in volunteer work not only broadens my perceptions and social ethic, but invites new life lessons and educational experiences worth holding onto that will always redeem as rewarding in one way or another.

Most of the professors I've had take notice of individuality as well as strengths and weaknesses esp. in a smaller classroom setting.

The most frustrating thing about my school is being in a classroom setting where there are other student who show no interest in their education.

mayra

I would say try the best that you could and give education your all because in the long run it pays off. When I was younger, I made alot of mistakes. Ones that I can never take back and that will be part of my life forever. I dropped out of high school and started to use drugs. For many years, I was in and out of prison. But when I had my daughter, she changed my life around. Today, I am a single mother and a full time student recieving straight As. I believe that as long as you put your all into something you really want, you can achieve. I am living proof of how someone can really change their life around. So if I can turn back time, with the experiences I had in my life, I would definatley tell myself to stay in school, stay focused, and never give up on your dreams. I know that all my hard work is going to pay off in the future. I am majoring in Social Work, and want to reach out to the troubled youth out there. I want to make a difference in someones life one day.

Erika

The first thing I would tell myself is to think more deeply about my college decision and what I really want out of it. I hastily made the decision to go to the University of Arizona for my first semester, and it ended up really not being right for me. So, I returned home to Connecticut where I am currently a student at the local state college, Southern CT. But that is not where I want to be either. When I was a senior, I could never have imagined that my college experience would turn out the way it did. I now know what I want to study and the kind of school I want to be at. Part of me wishes I could go back in time to when I was younger, figure out what I wanted, and apply to different schools than the ones I did, particularly Northland College in Ashland, Wisconsin, where I will most likely be this upcoming fall. I didn't really know right away that I wanted to study environmental science when I was a senior, but it soon became apparent. If only I could have fiured it out a little sooner!

I consider the best thing about my school to be the fact that the quality of the education is high while the cost of attending is low. For me, this is important because I am putting my self through school entirely on my own from here on out. That is a tough burden to bear at my age. It is satisfying to not feel overly stressed about financing my education, because such a feeling truly takes away from what's really important about college: learning.

Sadly, from what I have observed, there is a real lack of school spirit and enthusiasm at my school. My fellow students don't seem to be as eager to learn as I am, and that is a little bit disheartening. I go to each class ready to learn and be inspired, and meanwhile, the kids around me are on their cell phones, dozing off, or engaging in various other distractions. I have not met a great deal of other motivated students, and to me, that is troubling. For this reason, among others, I am planning to transfer next fall.

Teresa

As a college student, I have gotten a lot out of my college experience. I have learned so much and was able to mature as a young adult. For instance, entering college as a freshman straight out of high school I thought college was going to be about having fun and partying but I was completely wrong. After ending my freshmen year in not such a good academic standing, it became a wakeup call to me. My college experience has made me the student I am today, now as a sophomore at Southern Connecticut State University, I do not strive for any grade less than a B-. As a college student, I learned that I have to work hard and have determination to be successful in college. Attending college is a very valuable experience for me because when I graduate with a degree I will be able to be successful in a career that I enjoy and love. Being able to say that I am a educated woman is a statement that I would love to proudly admit. Having a college education can take me a long ways. That’s why obtaining a degree will be very valuable in life.

As I’ve been attending Southern Connecticut State University, I have been surrounded by hard working prosperous and determined students including myself. Anyone can become capable of obtaining a college education at Southern Connecticut State University, but people who lack determination should not attend this school. Southern is a university that challenges students to work to the best of their ability. Students who lack determination to strive for good grades and completing very significant goals will not be able to succeed at Southern. Students entering Southern should be determined and ready to work and if not they should not attend.

As I’ve been enrolled in Southern Connecticut State University, I can honestly say there isn’t anything that frustrates me about my school. Ever since I been enrolled in Southern, I’ve been satisfied with the classes, students, and professors. My course load at Southern has been challenging but never frustrating; I am very much happy with the work and help that I receive in each class. My classmates are very nice and my professors are very helpful to me. I enjoy being enrolled at Southern, a college where I can say nothing really frustrates me.

William

This school is best known for giving off the feeling that it is a larger version of Highschool, chances are you will see at least half a dozen of your fellow highschool classmates at this school with you.

I have come to the conclusion that this school helped me to get an understanding about how not to act when I eventually get into the teaching field. I want to be the kind of professor that is there to help and to teach and actually help students understand, even if they are only taking a class because it is requried. It is the teachers job to be there for the students, they are being paid for this reason, I would be there for my students 24/7, and go out of my way to help them, with anything I could, and if I was not able I would find someone who could. This school has allowed me to understand how important it is to be effective at your job.

Southern Connecticut State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.