Carbondale, IL
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

Anna

Our campus is very nice! I love the layout and organization of classes. My instructors are extremely helpful and patient, they are always available either through email, in office meetings, or some even allow an occasional text to be sent. We have a good amount of Greek life opportunities, extracurricular activity options, a beautiful recreational center, many outdoor exploring areas, close food businesses, and a lot of friendly faces to meet around campus. Yes, I may not yet be fully comfortable with being alone at Carbondale at night due to its reputation, but since being a student here, I have not seen anything done to put me in harms way. We have nice off-campus housing as well that is still close walking distance and some apartments even are pet friendly! We have a local mall with many well known stores as well as strip-malls on almost every main street corner. Local food buisnesses do at home deliveries during the day and some even until 4 a.m when hunger strikes! We have a good amount of night-life bars, local wineries, and places to go out and dance. So far so good with my opinion of SIUC!

Crystal

I'm only 4 weeks in, but I'm loving this school so far. College is a lot different (and better) than high school was. The people that come here actually care (for the most part). They're here for a reason, besides just to goof off. Everybody is genuinely interested and we're all engaging in discussion during class, for the most part.

Dakota

SIUC is a good school as long as you are one of the "preferred majors" such as aviation, psych, dental... ect. But any other major is usually tight on funds. Educationally it is a great school. I am an AG major and my professors are always available, personable, and usually know your name and major within the first week. However the school treats their students as never ending money supplies, and nickel and dime you for every dollar they can. The living arrangements are horrible, the on campus meals are terrible and make people sick, and the supplemental staff is unorganized and difficult to work with. Over all, if you are going to live off campus it's a great school. IF you plan on staying in the dorms for more than one year, look elsewhere.

A great experience

A great experience

An awesome school if you want to work hard and play hard! There is always something to do/join and a party is never far away! We take school seriously though too and if you can handle both, you can leave with a great education! The Greek system here is big enough where it is fun and worth it to join, but small enough where joining is not required for a good time or a good party. Getting a job on campus can be a little difficult seeing as everyone wants one, but if you have a car getting a nearby job off campus is pretty easy. The food on campus isn't horrible but after one semester you get pretty tired of it. As for the off campus food it is also alright, options are limited and if you're a broke college student you probably can't afford the off campus food. But some places off campus like Jimmy Johns and Taco Bell take debit dog, which is the card we use to do our laundry, and a card most students have their parents fill up! Overall this is a pretty great school, especially if you are on the more social side and love to party.

Jacinda
SIU Carbondale

SIU Carbondale

SIU is overall a great place to study. The food could be a little better, but it's better than some other places I've been to. The classes a great. The housing is pretty good. Overall, very happy with my decision to study here.

Rizky
SIU

Best for years of my life.

SIU

Best for years of my life.

Caleb

One thing that sets SIU apart from other prospective universities is the atmosphere of the university as a whole. The location of the campus does wonders in this regard, as trying to use words to decribe the vast spans of nature just wouldn't do it justice. To its credit, no other place gives the feeling of home quite like SIU--with the heart of a big time college in a relatively small town, each college, class, teacher, and student, feels like they are ready to prove that SIU is a special as it feels.

Simply put, committed; while it is true, there are occasionally a group of students who just aren't ready for college--I find that is the case for all universities--by far the ones who are ready to prove that they are true Salukis, are also truely special and gifted indivuduals who aren't so far above themselves as to treat everyone at the university as family.

Two things--two very important things that nobody but yourself can teach you. Firstly, be tenacious in everything you do, and make sure you do plenty. I believe that everyone is smart enough to chase that 4.0 GPA, especially you. But you have to want it--it will take long hours of studying (and maybe a few tears), not to mention a fair bit of luck. But if you ever feel like you need a second chance in life before you are even out of high school, you aren't working hard enough. So listen, just don't be lazy--trying is half the battle, and one battle that is the most likely to be lost. Secondly, no matter how well you do at the aformentioned, life will knock you down. Once again, you will probably never learn this in high school (some people don't learn it untill post-college). What is critically important is that you learn what to do after taht happens--and as quick as possible too. My best advice? Get back up and remember why you put one foot in front of the next.

allie

My classmates are very outgoing and accepting of everyone. They include everyone, never leaving out anyone.

If I could go back and give myslef advice about the future I would tell myself not to focus on material things. I would tell myslef that material things, although great at the time, will not help get me thorugh college. The most important thing in life is famiy. Our family can not be replaced. Families are there for us all the time and act as our "cheerleaders" when we are in college. They are the ones who tell us not to stress and celebrate with us when we do good on a test or quiz. Material thins are nice for the time but can not share the wisdom that out family has to offer. Life is too short and can be taken away from us at anytime. I feel it is important to stay connected with family in college and never lose touch.

When talking about my school I brag about my professors. I believe SIU offers the best professors that make sure you are getting the help you may need. These professors will take the time out of their schedules to stay after class and help anyone who may need it.

Alexander

If I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was in high school, the two things that I would tell myself is to learn how to study and to be more frugal with my money. I was a straight A student in high school, and it came effortlessly to me. But when I transitioned into college life, and especially now that I'm studying my major, there are concepts that I struggle to grasp. It was difficult to have to learn how to study in a way that works for me while I was having problems in a class. Another important thing that I would tell my high school self would be to save my money! Whenever I got paid, I couldn't wait to go out and spend it! But now that I have major bills to pay at school, I'm lucky to be able to go out for food and can't save much of my money. If I had saved better back then, I might be able to pay for some of my tuition out of pocket, or at least buy some of my books without having to take out a loan.

Before coming to SIUC, I wish that I had known a little bit more about the campus. I went to the campus orientation and came down an additional time before classes started, but the community college that I went to before transferring was nowhere near the size of SIU. It definitely took some time to figure out where everything was on campus.

I think that the worse thing about SIU is its reputation. SIU is known to be a really large party school, but even though that is true, there are many other things that the school excels at that isn't known quite as well. For example, SIU has excellent engineering and applied sciences programs, and many of the science programs are top tier, but not many people talk about how great the programs are.

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.