Carbondale, IL
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

Caleb

Simply put, committed; while it is true, there are occasionally a group of students who just aren't ready for college--I find that is the case for all universities--by far the ones who are ready to prove that they are true Salukis, are also truely special and gifted indivuduals who aren't so far above themselves as to treat everyone at the university as family.

One thing that sets SIU apart from other prospective universities is the atmosphere of the university as a whole. The location of the campus does wonders in this regard, as trying to use words to decribe the vast spans of nature just wouldn't do it justice. To its credit, no other place gives the feeling of home quite like SIU--with the heart of a big time college in a relatively small town, each college, class, teacher, and student, feels like they are ready to prove that SIU is a special as it feels.

Two things--two very important things that nobody but yourself can teach you. Firstly, be tenacious in everything you do, and make sure you do plenty. I believe that everyone is smart enough to chase that 4.0 GPA, especially you. But you have to want it--it will take long hours of studying (and maybe a few tears), not to mention a fair bit of luck. But if you ever feel like you need a second chance in life before you are even out of high school, you aren't working hard enough. So listen, just don't be lazy--trying is half the battle, and one battle that is the most likely to be lost. Secondly, no matter how well you do at the aformentioned, life will knock you down. Once again, you will probably never learn this in high school (some people don't learn it untill post-college). What is critically important is that you learn what to do after taht happens--and as quick as possible too. My best advice? Get back up and remember why you put one foot in front of the next.

allie

My classmates are very outgoing and accepting of everyone. They include everyone, never leaving out anyone.

If I could go back and give myslef advice about the future I would tell myself not to focus on material things. I would tell myslef that material things, although great at the time, will not help get me thorugh college. The most important thing in life is famiy. Our family can not be replaced. Families are there for us all the time and act as our "cheerleaders" when we are in college. They are the ones who tell us not to stress and celebrate with us when we do good on a test or quiz. Material thins are nice for the time but can not share the wisdom that out family has to offer. Life is too short and can be taken away from us at anytime. I feel it is important to stay connected with family in college and never lose touch.

When talking about my school I brag about my professors. I believe SIU offers the best professors that make sure you are getting the help you may need. These professors will take the time out of their schedules to stay after class and help anyone who may need it.

Alexander

If I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was in high school, the two things that I would tell myself is to learn how to study and to be more frugal with my money. I was a straight A student in high school, and it came effortlessly to me. But when I transitioned into college life, and especially now that I'm studying my major, there are concepts that I struggle to grasp. It was difficult to have to learn how to study in a way that works for me while I was having problems in a class. Another important thing that I would tell my high school self would be to save my money! Whenever I got paid, I couldn't wait to go out and spend it! But now that I have major bills to pay at school, I'm lucky to be able to go out for food and can't save much of my money. If I had saved better back then, I might be able to pay for some of my tuition out of pocket, or at least buy some of my books without having to take out a loan.

Before coming to SIUC, I wish that I had known a little bit more about the campus. I went to the campus orientation and came down an additional time before classes started, but the community college that I went to before transferring was nowhere near the size of SIU. It definitely took some time to figure out where everything was on campus.

I think that the worse thing about SIU is its reputation. SIU is known to be a really large party school, but even though that is true, there are many other things that the school excels at that isn't known quite as well. For example, SIU has excellent engineering and applied sciences programs, and many of the science programs are top tier, but not many people talk about how great the programs are.

When people hear SIU, they immediately think: party. Although the school gets its reputation from out-of-control events that happened years ago, many people do not realize the school's great successes in academics. There is so much offered to students here, like essay help, fitness activities, tutors, even outdoor endeavors. The amount of help and stress-relieving activities offered here make it hard for students to fail. Yes, maybe we do have the good party now and then, but I hope others can recognize SIU the way I do: A helpful hand pulling you up to success.

Looking back at my high school self, I realize I was way too stressed out. As I juggled four Advanced Placement classes, varsity soccer, figure skating, and a job, I also constantly worried that college was going to be even more difficult. I was spending all my time trying to get ahead so I could have summers off of school to see my family. If I could go back and give myself a chat, I would plead myself to take it slower, enjoy my last year at home, and to focus on my current happiness. I would knock it into my head that college goes at a pace comfortable with you, and there is plenty of help if you get caught underway. My past self should know that yes, the AP credits do help out, but the bittersweet memories of your most glorious year out of "the best four years of your life" help out too, not with academics, but with the other part of college: the living independently part. I tried to grow up and take on the world too quickly, like many mistakenly do, and if I could go back, I would enjoy being a kid.

The best thing about my school is the diversity. You meet so many new people here and learn a great amount about who they are, where they came from, and what they're like. There is a place for everybody here at SIU. It really is a great opportunity to learn more about the world we live in, especially for someone born and raised in a small town like myself. The campus here is full of not only different races, but also different cultures, interests, classes, and opinions, and nobody is left out of the fun.

LaTasha

If I could go back in time and tell my high school self something I would say stay focused. During my senior year I was on the ball with everything keeping up with scholarships and financial aid. I would tell myself to stay focused because when I came to college I was very unmotivated and I did not stay looking at the bigger picture. I would have also told myself that I made the right decision to follow my friends. I know that some people advise students to go off and their own thing and they do not need their friends. I am the type of person who gets anxious about being alone in public or making big decisions alone. Another thing is I would tell myself to calm down and take a deep breath because college is not as big of a headache as everyone makes it out to be.

How friendly everyone is. I also like to brag abput the fact that we have a very beautiful campus

The most frustraiting thing is how slow the wirless internet is inside of the towers. I also dislike how the student jobs center serves no purpose to the sudents.

Courtney

This school is a very well rounded school. They are very student involved, but also have a fantastic research program.

Fantastic! There is a huge library, so if you can't find what you need online, the book is going to be at the 7 floor library. If it isnt there, they will order it for you to make sure you have the best of the best.

Courtney

If i could go back to high school, I would tell myself that I need to start thinking about college really early like everyone was telling me. I would tell myself to stop putting it off because it is going to add so much stress to your life once the time finally comes and your ready for the big first day. I would also tell myself to fill out scholarships! They reallt are important! My teachers were not kidding! They really did know what they were talking about. All that time my class thought they kept repeating themself because they didn't have anything else to say in that moment. The last thing I would do is take more trips to the college to find my classes before the semester starts so I wouldnt be a nervous wreck the first day of classes. College can be crazy, but if you listen to those people that just keep repeating themself, life wouldn't be so rough that first month of classes.

The worst thing about my school to me is the class size. It will be somthing I spend time getting used to because all my life I have went to small schools. I have never been to a school as big as SIU.

The kind of person that would be a perfect mathch for SIU is someone that is very focused on their education. Also someone that is willing to do a lot of reasearch, because SIU is a very big reasearch school. This person also should be good at going out and meeting new friends because this campus always has something going on. It is never dead, not even on the weekends.

Stacy

A great Online MBA program, to give the opportunity to the working person to go back to school.

Do your absolute best. The harder you work now, the simpler you can make it for yourself in the future. No one can take your education from you.

Ciara Nixon

So far, the crime is a little scary, but I don't come from a crime free town, so I am used to it. Other than that, I love the school. I love all the activities there are to do around and on campus. The professors are absolutely amazing, so far, I am only a first year, but I have heard from upper class-men that they only get better! (:

I have met some awesome, unique, and intelligent students! I absolutely love being surrounded by the environment that is brought by the student body.

My academics are great! I took a few advances courses in high school so I was definitely prepared for the difficulty.

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.