Carbondale, IL
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

When people hear SIU, they immediately think: party. Although the school gets its reputation from out-of-control events that happened years ago, many people do not realize the school's great successes in academics. There is so much offered to students here, like essay help, fitness activities, tutors, even outdoor endeavors. The amount of help and stress-relieving activities offered here make it hard for students to fail. Yes, maybe we do have the good party now and then, but I hope others can recognize SIU the way I do: A helpful hand pulling you up to success.

Looking back at my high school self, I realize I was way too stressed out. As I juggled four Advanced Placement classes, varsity soccer, figure skating, and a job, I also constantly worried that college was going to be even more difficult. I was spending all my time trying to get ahead so I could have summers off of school to see my family. If I could go back and give myself a chat, I would plead myself to take it slower, enjoy my last year at home, and to focus on my current happiness. I would knock it into my head that college goes at a pace comfortable with you, and there is plenty of help if you get caught underway. My past self should know that yes, the AP credits do help out, but the bittersweet memories of your most glorious year out of "the best four years of your life" help out too, not with academics, but with the other part of college: the living independently part. I tried to grow up and take on the world too quickly, like many mistakenly do, and if I could go back, I would enjoy being a kid.

The best thing about my school is the diversity. You meet so many new people here and learn a great amount about who they are, where they came from, and what they're like. There is a place for everybody here at SIU. It really is a great opportunity to learn more about the world we live in, especially for someone born and raised in a small town like myself. The campus here is full of not only different races, but also different cultures, interests, classes, and opinions, and nobody is left out of the fun.

LaTasha

If I could go back in time and tell my high school self something I would say stay focused. During my senior year I was on the ball with everything keeping up with scholarships and financial aid. I would tell myself to stay focused because when I came to college I was very unmotivated and I did not stay looking at the bigger picture. I would have also told myself that I made the right decision to follow my friends. I know that some people advise students to go off and their own thing and they do not need their friends. I am the type of person who gets anxious about being alone in public or making big decisions alone. Another thing is I would tell myself to calm down and take a deep breath because college is not as big of a headache as everyone makes it out to be.

How friendly everyone is. I also like to brag abput the fact that we have a very beautiful campus

The most frustraiting thing is how slow the wirless internet is inside of the towers. I also dislike how the student jobs center serves no purpose to the sudents.

Courtney

This school is a very well rounded school. They are very student involved, but also have a fantastic research program.

Fantastic! There is a huge library, so if you can't find what you need online, the book is going to be at the 7 floor library. If it isnt there, they will order it for you to make sure you have the best of the best.

Courtney

If i could go back to high school, I would tell myself that I need to start thinking about college really early like everyone was telling me. I would tell myself to stop putting it off because it is going to add so much stress to your life once the time finally comes and your ready for the big first day. I would also tell myself to fill out scholarships! They reallt are important! My teachers were not kidding! They really did know what they were talking about. All that time my class thought they kept repeating themself because they didn't have anything else to say in that moment. The last thing I would do is take more trips to the college to find my classes before the semester starts so I wouldnt be a nervous wreck the first day of classes. College can be crazy, but if you listen to those people that just keep repeating themself, life wouldn't be so rough that first month of classes.

The worst thing about my school to me is the class size. It will be somthing I spend time getting used to because all my life I have went to small schools. I have never been to a school as big as SIU.

The kind of person that would be a perfect mathch for SIU is someone that is very focused on their education. Also someone that is willing to do a lot of reasearch, because SIU is a very big reasearch school. This person also should be good at going out and meeting new friends because this campus always has something going on. It is never dead, not even on the weekends.

Stacy

A great Online MBA program, to give the opportunity to the working person to go back to school.

Do your absolute best. The harder you work now, the simpler you can make it for yourself in the future. No one can take your education from you.

Ciara Nixon

So far, the crime is a little scary, but I don't come from a crime free town, so I am used to it. Other than that, I love the school. I love all the activities there are to do around and on campus. The professors are absolutely amazing, so far, I am only a first year, but I have heard from upper class-men that they only get better! (:

I have met some awesome, unique, and intelligent students! I absolutely love being surrounded by the environment that is brought by the student body.

My academics are great! I took a few advances courses in high school so I was definitely prepared for the difficulty.

Demeri

Southern Illinois University of Carbondale is a college with more than I could have ever imagined. It is filled with kind hearts, unlimited resources, outstanding professors, and a beautiful campus.

If given the opportunity to advise myself as a senior, I would take full advantage of the situation and start by saying that college is truly the best and the worst of times. I would remind myself that even though it does not seem like a fun idea at the time, it is better to go to a community college first. It is likely that the major you start with will not be the one you finish with, so save the cash on a big university by attending a community college for the first year, until you know for sure what you want to do with your life and can find the perfect university for that major. But putting the financial stress aside, college will be a moment in life to find out who you truly are as a person and it is important you take full advantage of that learning experience. College opens you to opportunities that you never even thought of or had been presented with before. So do your work, and when that is done, go have fun. You deserve the time to find friends, love, and most importantly, finding yourself.

The most frustrating thing about Southern Illinois University Carbondale is the reputation it holds as a result of its past. The reputation does not hold true today, yet people still tend to think poorly of the institution, which is frustrating since people look down upon the college I attend.

Alyssia

I really don't enjoy being at Carbondale because theirs nothing to do when you don't have any homework or just because you feel the need to get out of your dorm to go somewhere just to hangout.

The students here are like any other student in every school. They seem very open and outgoing.

The academics are very good here.

Joseph

This school has a good amount of natural areas and wineries within a close proximity. In the negative, it is unique for a mixed drinking/partying university. Administrators claim the history is past, and even orientation guides attempted to get the group to respond with "Where are the best places to drink?" as a suggestion for transfers to ask. It is unique for the beauty of the natural areas around it though.

FIrst, I would suggest these few things. Be more outgoing and do not give up. There are people to help you, so do not be shy and speak up if you have a question. Also, talk to people. Small talk can start real conversation and develop friendship. It is okay to still be deciding where you want life to go, but understand that this decision cannot be delayed too long. Get out and broaden your horizons. Go to sporting events, volunteer, have fun, but make good decisions. Ending up in a paper for trouble is not good for you, friends, classmates, or family. College is in the "real world", not the general 8-3 routine. It is your life to live, so be yourself. Make your own choices, but make them for your benefit. Lastly, there are a lot of people. As potential competitors, every student seems like an enemy. There are people who try to put you down. Cut loose from their grip and keep your head up. Professors and faculty remember the ones who smile and show kindness better than any other student. So: be positive, press on, get some rest, and never give up on your dreams!

The faculty are willing to help the students if the students are willing to ask. The school in general is research and academically focused, and internships are competitive, but speaking to the right people can set a student up for success. This is the best aspect about the school besides the environment.

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.