Southern Oregon University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southern Oregon University

Eboni

Overall, Southern Oregon University is a great school with great people. The people here are very helpful and very approachable. So far my experience has been pretty good and smooth. Classes here are taught very well and the professors here are more than happy to help if needed.

Meredith

Awful school crawling with awful people. If you're a fan of never having intellectual discourse, eating terrible food, immature students who have needlessly and baselessly high opinions of themselves, classes that don't challenge you in the slightest, and the biggest source of entertainment being midday naps, this is the school for you! The Ashland-Medford area is quite possibly the most boring place this side of the Rockies. Oh, and sexual harassment isn't exactly uncommon, but don't worry: the school will make you go through a slew of bureaucratic red tape just to having a meeting with someone about it. The place is also filled with crazy SJWs who drive everyone crazy--and I'm a pure-blooded liberal who most people would consider pretty 'PC', so think about that.

Genevieve

Genevieve Shulka June 5, 2017 Scholarship Essay My overall Opinion of Southern Oregon University is positive. The class size is very nice; as a student, I feel that I need more of a one on one type of class room and at other universities the class sizes are rather large but at SOU there’s more of a personal feeling in a small class and I appreciate that very much. I also appreciate the Native American Studies program here; I have friends that understand the culture shock that I feel.

Laura

Southern Oregon University isn't for everyone. Certain programs are good. I would suggest that if you are coming to SOU for theatre you seriously consider what kind of theatre student you want to be before coming here. Other students looking at SOU I encourage you to heavily research it before hand and most definitely come for a visit. SOU isn't for everyone but I have found my place in the madness, I hope you can too!

I didn't intend on going to Southern Oregon University, but now I can't imagine myself anywhere else. Ashland is my home away from home now. I walk to and from class with the vast Rogue Valley surrounding me, and the snow on the peaks remind me what a beautiful place Oregon is. However, the city and scenery is only the cherry on top. The schools values are responsibility, academics, inclusivity, development, engagement, recognition and safety. All faculty and every student here exemplifies those characteristics. Small class sizes make professors accessible before or after class and during office hours. Professors are able to focus on the education of their students on an individual basis. The community and acceptance among peers is one like no other school I've witnessed. No matter what background or culture you come from, there's a place for them here, and I think that's what really sets SOU apart from any other school.

Rain

Southern Oregon University is my home. At SOU you are encouraged to learn and grow every day whether in the classroom or not. Here I have found friends, mentors, and an accepting place to develop my skills. Upon entering college I thought SOU would be a stepping stone to another school but after a year here there is no where I could better imagine continuing my education. SOU is a nurturing environment that encourages all of its attendees to grow.

Jodey

This school has become my home. I came here knowing almost no one, but it was so easy to make friends and feel welcome. Everyone is so helpful and everyone makes going here simple. If I have a question there is always someone to ask that can help me.

Beatriz

I think Southern Oregon University is an incredible university with an amazing location. The teachers are extremely helpful, the students are kind, the food is great. It's a shame that this school goes unnoticed and is instead hidden behind Oregon State University and University of Oregon.

Clair

Beautiful town and area lots of things to enjoy in the outdoors. The campus is beautiful is great and the town is safe. The classes are good sized and so far it has been a great school to go to. The counselors are nice but the financial aid office is off their game.

Kiley

I love Southern Oregon University. Everything about it makes it a great environment to learn in. We have small class sizes (25 - 1 student to faculty ratio), easily accessible professors, and many fun and exciting clubs. SOU has a beautiful campus, and just 10 minutes away there is the beautiful Lithia Park as well as downtown Ashland where the Oregon Shakespeare Festival takes place. SOU has many sports both Intermural and club sports in which students can participate. You'll never find a campus so homely and welcoming as SOU.

Allen Mae

Southern Oregon University can be a place to meet new and life long friendships. This school is also great especially if you are looking to be in the education program. Most professors are helpful and welcoming. The students that I have met and interacted so far were interesting and helpful individuals.

Brynne

I really like Southern Oregon University, I just hope that the school continues to grow. The school is lacking a few key majors for some people, but there are always clubs and groups to join. Ashland is a beautiful town, but it isn't very big, so there are not a ton of things to do after 8pm unless you are over 21.

Christy

Southern Oregon University is a small college in Ashland, Oregon. Ashland is very small so Southern Oregon University practically makes up Ashland. Theres a big range of students as far as differences. Which may bring diversity to a persons perspective. The professors are extremely nice and seem to want you to succeed. The campus is gorgeous as new building just finished being built and the rest in the process of being complete. Southern Oregon University feels like a high school but with the freedom of college.

Beatriz

Aside from the price and the fact that you have to live a whole year on campus as a freshman, SOU is a great school and I would recommend to anyone who is wanting to be a member of the health career. This school is in an incredible location for its art students.

Skyler

My overall opinion of Southern Oregon University is that it's an incredibly open and diverse school. There is never any discrimination towards anyone and both professors and other students make it known as much as possible that everyone is welcome. I always feel safe on campus because the officers that work at CPS are 1 phone call away - even if it's a drive back to the dorms from campus. There are plenty of places to explore, and there is an Outdoor Program that helps people find places to hike, bike, canoe, or climb. Overall, the school is a beautiful and great place for the adventurous.

Benjamin

As a student in the Environmental Science & Policy program, I have loved going to this school. It houses professors who truly care about what they are teaching. It is also very inclusive and welcoming of people from all backgrounds. I have heard mixed reviews from people in other majors, but overall, people tend to really like it here.

Jamie

Southern Oregon is not a terrible place, the price is just a little bit much for the actual accommodations. Not very many options for the freshman since there are so many rules for them. Its hard to succeed when money is a stressor. There's charges for childcare on my tuition, I don't even have a child...

Yasmine

As a current first-year at SOU, especially one that suddenly moved hundreds of miles away from home, I found staff and students alike to be very friendly and encouraging of the move I took, and future academics. I found my own group of friends within the first month of attending, and have enjoyed all of my professors thus far. My adviser is very easy to talk to and helps me make plans for my future academic terms. I suggest SOU to anyone who is looking for a small college or university. It truly is a hidden gem.

Jamie

They are constantly taking my money without the proper services. I often feel like it maybe was not the best school for me to choose based on how committed people are to academics, or more like how uncommitted they are. This university does not challenge you to expand your education, just to meet the bare minimum.

Marlene

I believe SOU is a small yet very diverse campus. Everyone is accepted for who they want to be. Students are all genuine and proud to be there. Faculty is very helpful and serve guidance. It is located near downtown Ashland, so there are many little mom and pop shops.

Ryan

It's a good school, the computer science program could be stronger

chance

Southern Oregon University is such a fantastic place. I truly think this school is the place for me. I've been here for four weeks and I already feel so connected in their community. The food, the town, and the nature is just fantastic. I can't wait to spend the next four years here.

Emma

Southern Oregon University is set in the beautiful Rouge Valley. Everywhere you can look, there are mountains, trees, and quite often, deer! You couldn't choose a more picturesque location. On top of that, the campus is not large, so class sizes rarely exceed 50 students. The professors are knowledgeable, accessible, and tend to know every person in their classes. There are many opportunities for work, volunteering, and just extra-curricular. There are student resource centers all over campus such as, the Women's Resource center and the Queer Resource center, that allow safe spaces for students to go and visit anytime. On a less important, but still nice note, the food is great too! Plenty of healthful options for carnivores and vegans alike. I couldn't choose a better school to go to.

Heather

I think that this school is both beautiful, warm, and enriching. The faculty is kind and willing to help students whit whatever they need. There are numerous opportunities to receive tutoring, receive job opportunities, and join various clubs and organizations. There are also many opportunities to study abroad, and even explore other majors, if you are unsure of which one is right for you. Each student has an academic advisor who is more than willing to help aid in the personal discovery needed to find the right educational and career path. I love this school!

Charissa

I truly enjoyed my time at SOU, the class sizes and accessibility to professors is something I greatly appreciated about my time at school. Football games were extremely fun and as far as campus food is concerned the Hawk is about as good as it gets. They have an extremely welcoming atmosphere and are accommodating to the LGBTQ+ community, which I really admire. Overall, SOU was a great school and Ashland is a cool little town.

Steven

Southern Oregon University is an amazing school. They have their campus in Ashland and partner with Rogue Community College in Medford to bring some classes closer to people ( my self included). Fantastic, articulate staff. Thumbs up! Very happy to be going to this college.

Iryna

Great place to be if you are coming in as a theater or business major. Most people come for the freshman year and then drop out, or they transfer in as juniors, unless they are theater majors and come for the excellent BFA program and career opportunities with OSF. Although I had to transfer out due to financial issues, I would come back in a heartbeat. Small town but beautiful art, culture, and nature around. Extremely LGBTQ friendly.

Jade

Southern Oregon University has the feel of a private university at the cost and affordability of a public school. The professors are incredible and they help to refine your strengths and foster community connections. The small class sizes and the vibrant campus community encourage professional, academic, and personal growth, all while fostering friendships and skills that will last a lifetime.

Champ

The college search was a long and difficult process. Once I really began to tour different campuses I found myself changing my original ideas of what college life looked like . After touring 20 plus college campuses I chose SOU. It was the place that felt most like home. I highly recommended any perspective college student visit the campus before making any decisions and ask questions. Even though life has thrown a couple of curve balls I have not regretted my decision!

Southern Oregon University has a very lively and welcoming school environment. There are plenty of clubs and organizations to get involved in. The school as a whole aims to have something for everyone and to make everyone feel like they fit in somewhere. The professors have been amazing and really dedicated to getting to know each of their students personally. Overall, I have enjoyed my experiences at SOU and would recommend it to anyone.

Cameron

While the school itself is strong academically, Ashland was not built to host a college. There are few jobs available and limited affordable resources for students. Freshman are forced into food contracts and on campus housing contracts that we were unaware of being with a third party.