Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

Stony Brook had a wide student body coming from a range of diff. backgrounds (everything from "long island kids" to international students from India). Students tend to be more left leaning with their political views and are generally informed about politics, even if its just on a local level. I guess most ppl who attend Stony don't come from super wealthy families, since it is a state school after all. However, there is a nice mix of laid back hippie kids, fashionable & trendy kids and those who really like to stand out. Student interactions outside of class vary from discussions about class & politics, to sports and fashion.

Stony Brook has a very diversified student body. Yes, a large majority of our students are Asian, but even within that group there are many variations. I think it would be hard to find a person who couldn't fit in at SB. As the stereo-types go we have "preps" and "gangsters" and "goths". Aside from the wide variety of social cliques, we have a very political group of students. There are a plethora of clubs dedicated to politics, religion and common interests. The majority of our campus is from the Long Island area, and a large amount of Overseas students.

really diverse campus, but not segregated. SOme students chill only with their racial group, but doubt they would exclude anyone. Don't think anyone would feel out of place once they settle in and get to know people. I guess in the first year you can, but then once you get to find your people, its cool. Students range from sweats in class to dressier outfits. Different people do interact. Very politically active from what I have seen, maybe a bit more left leaning, but that could just be me and my friends.

One of the best things about Stony Brook is its diversity of everything. No one is a minority at Stony Brook in my opinion. There are many races, religions, etc, and there is often a club or group associated with it. I think that everyone will find a group of friends in which they belong. Most people in Stony Brook are in middle class. Stony Brook is predominantly left in its political convictions. However, we still have a group for Republicans.

Stony Brook used to be known as a primarily Asian campus, and it still has many Asian students, but I have seen a greater diversity over my years here. I think students who expect quiet, close-knit campuses would be uncomfrtable here. Students wear anything to class from high fashion to comfortable casual to pajamas if a class is really early in the morning.

I feel that the kind of student who would feel out of place would definately be the slacker type, most students at SBU generally give a good effort in their studies. I have noticed many times including myself the interaction of all students all over the campus. One thing that i did notice was that a lot of SBU population were from one of the 5 bouroughs.

I feel like I fit in really well here. An upper class person who has a lot of money. Jeans. Yes- you have no choice if you want to make friends. One of them is full of athletes. Another is full of Asian students. Another is of white kids. Another is mixed. Long Island? Middle class I think. Very. Probably left. Not that I know of.

An American kid would feel out of place. Most students wear whatever they feel to class. Different types of students sometimes interact. 4 tables- asians-punks(thugs)-diversified group- athletes. Most stony brook students are from the island or NYC/Queens. Most kids are of wealthy backgrounds.

I think there is a pretty diverse student body here. Including a wide variety of races, political beliefs, religions, and economic situations. Most students are very involved in something. Most students are from New York.

I don't understand how so many stupid people get into Stony Brook. It's supposed to be a really "good" school, but yet it's filled with people who I'm shocked graduated high school. Be more selective, SBU!