Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

Diverse.

Loners.

Quiet

N/A

Once again the student body is very diverse and so I have had experiences with numerous religions, ethnicities and various groups. All of them have been positive with me usually coming out knowing more than I did going in. It's a public school so there are no economic elite who are at college because it's what is expected of them. These students want to go to college, many of them being the first generation in their families to do so. I can't imagine any student feeling out of place at Stony Brook. There is a niche for just about anyone. I have found that this allows for a very productive learning experience. The typical dress ranges anywhere from sweatshirts and pajama pants to business casual. Most students just wear jeans and t-shirts though. Student interaction is fairly common. There are cliques but nothing drastic. If you were to walk into the dining hall and there are four tables one would probably be full of athletes stuffing three meals down at once. Another table would look normal enough, but the students would be speaking another language, one of several commonly heard on campus. There would be another table of students simultaneously eating and reading at the same time, all the while not spilling or blinking once. And let's just say the last table is the miscellaneous table, it could be anything. Most Stony Brook students are from New York and specifically from Long Island and New York City. It is a state school, so tuition is less for state residents. There is a significant amount of foreign exchange and international students though. I would say most students come from middle class and upper lower class homes. The campus does posses a fair amount of political awareness. Stony Brook has a history of being very politically active and once was dubbed "Berkeley of the East." It's tough to gauge the overall political preference of the campus but I would say it leans to the left. As with almost any college kid, students are concerned with what they will earn today, especially with how expensive New York City is and the ever-increasing cost of living on Long Island, where most are from.

Stony Brook is a very diverse campus, people from all backgrounds come here. I've noticed that although SBU is very diverse, people from certain ethnic groups tend to gravitate towards one another. What I think is nice is that there are clubs for people of every background. You can certainly find your nitch at Stony Brook, I don't think there is any student who would feel out of place. It is hard to interact with others at times on campus because people tend to keep to themselves in class. Let's see, four tables of students in the dining hall. I'd say one table would belong to a fraternity, one to students of the same ethnic background, one table for the non-traditional students, and then there is a table where one person is sitting alone, although there are 5 empty seats surrounding them I think most SBU students are from Long Island or one of the 5 burroughs. However, there are some international students, and a sprinkling of students from across the country. At least that's my perception. Financial backgrounds, well it is Long Island, so there are certainly people who come from upper-middle class to upper class background. I think there are a lot of students who are middle class, and who couldn't afford to go to a private school, and heard SBU has an excellent reputation anyway. Students are politically aware, we have NYPIRG, who campaigns to ensure every student is registered to vote. I think Stony Brook is overall a very liberal campus, you can tell by the way the classes are. I don't think any professor I've encountered would be considered conservative so far. I don't hear much talk about how much students will earn one day.

There are strong presences from the three major religions on campus. There are also many cultural clubs and groups and an active LGBT association. Most student wear variations on jeans and tshirt to class. some wear pajamas, some sweats, but really low-key. Stony Brook is a great place where people of different cultures, religions and backgrounds interact and become friends. I am not sure about dining hall information, I don't eat in them. Most SBU students are from Long Island and New York City. Most students are from lower to middle middle class. Stony Brook has a group of politically passionate and active students, but most students are apathetic. There are left and right wing activists on campus, but students are more towards the left. A lot of the engineering students (of which there are many) are very job focused.

I am part of Catholic Campus Ministry and I feel that it does not make others feel ot of place. We hold multi- cultural events and plan events with other religious groups. I would say that Stony Brook is very diverse and many different types of students interact. I can't say that the four tables would have designated groups. Students of all different groups seem to interact. Most Stonybrook students are from Long Island and NYC. I am not sure, but it is widely said that a majority of STony Brook is asian. I don't know if the statistics correlate, but I would ahve to agree. I would say that a majority of people I have interacted with in my classes and outside are left, but I don't know the exact statistics. I haven't really heard anyone discuss their future pay.

One of the things I love most about Stony Brook is that everyone feels welcome in Stony Brook. I've never not seen anyone accepted among the student body. Although there are alot of people, by the end of your college career, you'll know so many people because there are so many activities. In fact for about 2 months, StonyBrook has a type of Spirit Month and it's just amazing because all the events that go on will help you get to know people. One of the things I'm looking forward to is Midnight Breakfast. It is an opportunity for students to mingle with their professors late at night after studying for the finals. From what I have heard, a lot of people attend this event.

There are all types of people in SBU. I tell people that when you come to SBU, you will most likely find your own niche. I believe there is someone for everyone.... I think this just helps make SBU more colorful and more interesting. Instead of making fun of people who are differnt or don't fit the mold, let them be and appreciate them for who they are. And you'll find that they have friends too... :) There are those who are politically active, those who are more interested in finding out about the best parties, those who want to make a differnce for people who are "different". Again, I think the student population spans all areas.