Stony Brook University Top Questions

There is of course truth to every rumor spread. Stony Brook is only a boring place if you don't get involved. College is all about what you make of it. And yes, there are students who use drugs, but not everyone who lives on campus does.

Jenny

It's just as true of our school as there is of any school. I haven't seen or heard more or less than the average of any other school. I think it just came about because of the name of our school.

Lee

yes. except the part about all the students being intellectual geniuses. i am amazed that some ppl who are there, got in at all.

KJ

Not at all. First of all, I know a lot of students in this school that are on financial aid, in fact I, myself am on financial aid that has covered the whole semester's tuition AND gave me money back. The school is not expensive. It is definitely worth it to attend this school because the professors are wonderful and I have found that EVERY professor will help, some even go out of their way. The area outside of Stonybrook, once you are on Nicoll's Road has so much stuff to do on it...in fact a mall is less than 2 miles away.

Cody

Most students are from Long Island and the rest of New York, but there is a bigger out of state student population than there seems.

Danny

Although weekends might seem dead at times, its really up to the student to make it worth it. Stony Brook does offer a range of activities over the weekends, when students do say they do nothing, its really because they stay in their room and are too lazy to go to the activities available. Also our weekends usually start on Thursday nights, instead of the usual Fridays at other Universities.

KC

depends

No!

Andy

As I will be a junior as of Fall 2008, I believe that my experinces on campus (as well as the reviews of my peers) will support my claims.

Adrienne

For the most part, yes. But the school isn't filled with minorities. But filled with smart people.

Ellen

Almost.

Ryan

Yes, this is experience talking.

Vincent

There are alot of foreigners. The campus is pretty boring. The science teachers I've had just pretty much put slides straight out of the book onto a projector and read them, had their TA's answer all the questions, and they didn't even know the right answers half the time. Business college is great.

Nelle

Yes, actually. Sometimes I wonder if some of the people living in my building can speak one word of English. No one stays on the weekends as far as I know.

Anne

Definitely the first one. I've never had a problem with understanding teachers, but I'm in the English department. The third one yes, for the most part.

Jesse

There is a large asian population

Jacquelyn

Oh yes. In one class I can count more Asians than any other ethnic group.

Alex

I HAVE NOT FOUND ANY STEREOTYPES WHAT-SO-EVER. EVERYONE HERE IS DOWN TO EARTH AND LIKE-MINDED.

sean

well its extremely boring and princeton review ranked stonybrook #1 in least happiest students.

These stereotypes are mostly accurate

Casey

About SBU - Sometimes accurate, I wish there was more stuff to do on campus, especially on the weekends. But at least they have the busses that take us to Wal-Mart and the mall on the weekends. They should have busses take us to other places too... About the students - I don;t think that's necessarily true, but then again, all the people I hang out with are open minded. However, I have noticed that some students are unfriendly in classes when I try to make conversation with them, but that may be because they don't want to be in the class lolz

Harper

Not at all. Stony Brook has over 200 clubs so you can always find one, and if not, you have the ability to create a new one yourself! Also, there are multiple intramural sports and actual teams that students can participate in. The idea that everyone goes home on weekends is false because I certainly don't. There are things to do every single day of the week, all students have to do is look. Put a little effort into it! Resident assistants work hard to maintain their bulletin boards and keep it current with the latest events, take a look! Also, every building has flyers up for symposiums, talks by world famous individuals, and a plethora of other things. Those who say there's never anything to do need to leave their rooms and actually grasp what Stony Brook has to offer. There's plenty out there. You just have to be willing to see it. As for the majors, we offer tons of them! Not everyone is a science research but most people do take the opportunity to do research in the field they are in, whatever it is.

Parker

Yes. Stony Brook is an excellent school, but I strongly advise that if you have half a brain and are NOT from Long Island, that you live off campus. Long Islanders, for the most part, are really awful people. It's every man for himself out here.

Toby

Once again I'm not sure about the stereotypes.

Christine

Yes, except many decide to change their minds after they realize how challenging the course requirements are.

Brett

For me, I don't believe all of it.

Tristan

No, these stereotypes are not entirely accurate. While there are a number of people who do go home on the weekends, a majority of the residents choose to remain on campus. Just because some students stay in their rooms all day doesn't mean that others aren't out there around the campus actually doing something! Also, the campus has a diverse student population. Take advantage of this fact.

Rory

Not at all...Stony Brook is probably one of the most Boring campus' in the country.

Mel

Partially accurate.

Theodore

Everything mentioned is accurate.

Jordan

I find them to be accurate in characterizing a group, but not individuals.

TJ

Pretty much not.

Bevan

Stereotypes are never accurate, this is why they are called stereotypes.

KJ

sometimes

Brett

I have to say there is a very big asian population. The whole drug thing is not that bad I would say it is on par with any other college. Now the whole weekends thing can be true depending on where you live or who your friends are, I always had a good time on the weekends.

Will

Precisely

Kelly

- The campus is not as bas as people say. Its started to look better over the years. - Granted on the weekends people go home. However during the week the campus is full of life with plenty of parties and events. There are also alot of people around on

TJ

In my opinion as a result from my experience at Stony Brook I definitely find this stereotype to be true!

Emmerson

yes

Tommy

110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} accurate

Carolyn

these are somewhat accurate

Stephen

for the most part yes

Andy

No, I don't feel this is accurate since I am quite content to dorm at Stony Brook, though I do wish it was more populated on the weekends.

Sasha

For the most part both are right.

Morgan

yes

Dale

Kinda, not quite.

Catherine

I would say that many people do leave on the weekends. I would say more so than at any other school. I do not feel that all Stony Brook students are unhappy, I would just say that maybe the students demonstrate a lack of school spirit.

Deb

To some extent. Most SBU students are commuters, or partial commuters (they leave most weekends). School spirit is centralized in athletes and perhaps in sororities and fraternities. The administration is, like any large college's administration, lacking in many areas. Since SUNY SB is a research college, many of the professors are hired to do research, not to teach. But there are good and bad professors in each department. It is luck of the draw.

Connie

Everything is true. We don't have real professors Grad students teach our classes. This school sucks don't come here PLEASE!

Vick

They are pretty accurate compared to other colleges.