Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

The worst thing about my school is that my campus could be more environmentally friendly. The computer sites and department offices, in general, use up so much paper from all the printing and copying that student and staff do. There could be more recycle bins for paper and cans/bottles around campus and in dormitory buildings to control garbage. Dining areas should change take-out packaging and utensil usage to be more environmentally safe. I always try to do what I can to be less wasteful and if these changers were to take place, hopefully more people would too.

The music department is not performanced-based and the art department doesn't really have any sub-genres it's just either 'studio art' or 'art history', really lacking! Many of your professors will be foreign in the sciences and some other classes. Classes/lectures can range from 20 to 200 and it takes 10 minutes to walk from any dorm to classes and the busses are a horrible way to get around and you can't have a car freshman year unless you commute. People aren't very sociable. Most social parties including drinking, smoking up and/or videogames.

The worst thing about school is when you enroll in a class that is required for your major, but the staff of that class are trying to reduce the number of students that pass. For example, my general chemistry and organic chemistry classes were so-called "weeding" classes because there are a lot of students taking those classes. When they tyr to "weed" me out, it reduces my motivation because I feel that no matter how hard I try, they're trying to fail me. During times times this, I focus extra hard to to continue with my studies.

The attitude of fellow students towards their academic careers. Stony Brook University has unfairly earned a reputation as a "party school", and thus, those who chose to attend here do so because they feel that they can be lax on their educational responsibilities and focus on their active social lives insead. They forget that Stony Brook is still one of the best research foundations in the country, and their half hearted attempts at their education not only hurt them, but the students around them that earnestly strive to learn.

SB is unique in that it is incredibly diverse (culturally, in interests, majors, background, religion, everything), yet so many of the students live in NYC. The first and second year students tend to go home to NYC on the weekends. They are used to the overstimulating environment of NYC so they think that there is "nothing to do" at SB on weekends. As students get older they realize there is plenty of fun (and work) to be had on the weekends, so they don't venture back to NYC. This is why some claim SB is dead on weekends.

I was an online distance program student and wish that I could have had a more integrated experience. I see all the people that identify with their college sports teams and I didn't have that urge because I felt so distant. I would have liked if the school kept their distance students just as connected as their students on campus. I could have also benefited from a shadow or mentor upon our visit to the campus, this may have brought us to feeling closer to the college life there.

The worst thing about being a student at SUNY Stony Brook is not knowing what I want to do with my life and not having any real guidance to help ease the pain. With a world of opportunities available to me, Stony Brook's counselors will only give me a positive reinforcement of anything which I might come up with and are programmed to say things which are first read to them anyway. They have no actual opinion and because of this, they can not actually answer my questions.

As a commuter, a lot of the system is against you. Where you have to park on campus and then the transportation to class is just a hassle, unless ur going to pay a ton of extra money. I live 20 minutes away from the school and I have to leave at least an hour before class to guarentee I'm there on time not even early because of the transportation. It is also hard to make a schedule this way you don't have long breaks on campus as a commuter.

Personally, I love Stony Brook because I love nature and there are a lot of trees and there is a pond which is absolutely fantastic. It is a big school with apprx. around 10,000 or probably more students. People at the campus are really friendly and helpful. So I'd strongly suggest everybody to be more open and not feel hesitant to ask questions. I can guarantee that they'd be more than happy to guide you to shaping your future.

Transfering into Stony Brook University in Spring 2013. Currently a student at Suffolk County Commuinty College; the worst is the idiotic drivers on campus. Even the best will become the worst; it only takes minutes. The most clear of heads will become the most chaotic of them all. It’s praised that safety is first, but in the mouths of the self-concerned students, they rage, “me, me, me!”