Texas A & M University-College Station

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-College Station

There are two things at Texas A&M University that needs improvement one is educational based and the other is social based. The educational based item is I am a Recreational, Parks and Tourism Science Major emphising in Event Coordinating/Planning which is based on the Tourism side of my major. However, there are more courses in Recreation Parks side of the major than Tourism , do not get me wrong there are excellent courses relating to tourism and event programming and implementing but not enough. The social based issue is more activities for Non-Traditional Students, students over 30.

There is an extreme lack of diversity amon the general student population. This applies to political views, race, and socioeconomic status. The overwhelming majority of students are white republican protestants from an upper middle class family in the suburbs. There are not even a lot of students from out of state. The only place where diversity exists is within the athletic department which is almost another school in and of itself. Fortunately I was a student athlete so I was exposed to students of different races, beliefs, and backgrounds.

There is a kind of overlying general conservative attitude at this school, which at times may make it seem to liberals that they cannot freely express their opinions publicly. There is also a lack of students of differing opinions that come to this school. There are VERY rare cases of disrespectful expressions of opinions on a certain issue that have at times been seen as offensive. But most of the time there is a general atmosphere of respect , and those who do not participate in it are discouraged from doing so by the other students.

Aggies can tend to be a bit narrow-minded. There is not a lot of diversity on campus. Students tend to be focused on getting good grades. There is less partying during the week because students are working on their school assignments. The financial aid department is not very helpful. I dedicated hours of my time trying to get financial aid. The counselors seem to look for an easy way out of helping students. The only advice they offer is to fill out scholarship applications. It would be nice to have them take more time to help.

I feel that the worst thing about my school is that there are so many opportunities for clubs, organizations, and extra curricular activites that it becomes difficult to find the right one for you or to find out about all of them. There are informationals and activities where the student body tries to publisize all the available opportunites, but it is still hard to decide and find out about all of them. I suggest talking to friends and students that have already been attending for at least one year to give you some guidance.

Being one of the finest schools in Texas. Texas A&M strives to push its students for academic excellence. This strong push often raises the bars towards obtaining this excellence in the classroom, often placing hardships on the student to perform well. Some students are not ready for the struggles and wear of the constant studying and preparation required to perform well at Texas A&M and weed out of their classes. The standards for students are so high, for some it may seem impossible to perform at a high academic level.

The worst thing about Texas A&M is living in College Station. While the campus is a beautiful place, the city itself is a very difficult place to be accustomed to. One thing in specific about living in College Station is that the water is absolutley terrible, in that a water filter pitcher is almost a neccesity for everyday life as a Texas A&M student. While the city and the fellow students are some of the most friendly people I have ever met, the living conditions in the city make it difficult to enjoy school at times.

The worst thing about Texas A&M was the overwhelming number of students. With a freshman class of over 14,000 students, one could definitely say he or she feels lost in the crowd. Sitting in a class of over 300 students, especially when one's entire high school consisted of only 200 students, can leave anyone with feelings of doubt. Doubt about how he or she could succeed surrounded by so many brilliant students, and doubt about how he or she as an individual could stand out and make a difference in a sea of faces.

It's hard to pick out the worst quality about Texas A&M, but I think students would agree that the only bad thing is that football is not a year round sport! Midnight Yell Practice and Game Day are huge traditions here at A&M. We love standing as the 12th man every fall weekend and losing our voices with the help of our Yell Leaders. We proudly adorn our maroon and white as we link arms and legs to sway left and right during The Aggie War Hymn. We only wish we could experience it all year!

The worst thing about Texas A&M is something that plagues every school, but is very pronounced at A&M. At any school which has a lot of school spirit, there are those who take it too far. A&M, unfortunately, has a plethora of students who will loudly and colorfully defend anything and everything about the school. Some get overly worked up and are apt to curse a blue streak at fans of other schools, start fights, and ignite flame wars on the internet. This is shameful to other Aggies.