Texas A & M University-College Station Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Texas A & M University-College Station

Claire

I enjoy attending Texas A&M. It is nice to go to a school filled with other people who prioritize their learning and future career. The professors are, generally, accessible outside of class, and their classes are interesting. It's a good school to consider if you are ready for challenging and engaging classes.

Klaryssa

Texas A&M is a place that is known not only as a university, but as a home away from home. When experiencing all the tradition and love you forget what it was like not being a part of this amazing environment. I have been in love with Texas A&M since I was very young because something about the feeling you get when you're there is a feeling you want to feel for the rest of your life. Currently, I am still in high school but I cannot wait till I get to have the full experience of attending this university.

Marcela

Texas A&M University is by far one of the best public institutions in Texas for higher education. My family brought me up as an Aggie and I had known long before I started high school that this would be the university I would attend someday. Not only does Texas A&M hold high standards for academic excellence, but this university also prides itself on its long-standing traditions. Some of these traditions include Silver Taps, Aggie Bonfire, Elephant Walk, Maroon Out, Century Tree, Midnight Yell, and Aggie Muster. Aggie Muster and Silver Taps, for instance, are traditions that serve to give a final tribute to a current or former student who has passed away. Silver Taps is held, if necessary, the first Tuesday of every month at 10:30 pm, while Aggie Muster is held each year on April 21. These traditions encourage students to cultivate the Aggie Spirit, a sense of loyalty and respect for the school, and dictate many aspects of their lives including how to greet others, behave at sporting events, and participate in volunteer work. People will often hear Aggies say, “From the outside looking in, you can’t understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can’t explain it”, and it could not describe the university more accurately. In addition, maintaining academic integrity is also a very high standard set by the university for all its students because it is incorporated within the school’s core values of excellence, leadership, loyalty, respect, and selfless service. All in all, Texas A&M University is a great school not only because it provides its students with a high-quality education, but because it instills strong values and traditions that stay with the students for the rest of their lives.

Savanna

I love Texas A&M! The people, the culture, and campus are the best in Texas. I feel safe and supported. I have had countless opportunities to grow and stretch myself as a person. I have been amazed by the work ethic of my peers and professors. I have learned so many things that will stick with me for a lifetime because they have become a part of my worldview. Having a set of core values and the Corps of Cadets on campus makes our campus really unique in it's amount of patriotism and willingness to serve the state, nation, and world. There are so many amazing resources and research niches, from developing new, self driving forms of transportation to the digital humanities, and those research opportunities are extended to undergraduate and graduate students. We also have a solid startup culture. Texas A&M excels in a diverse array of fields, from the liberal arts to engineering. I transferred here from UT and I am certain I made the right choice. The flexibility of my degree plan has enabled me to cater my classes to my specific goals in life and my department has helped me learn about all my options after graduation. I have never lived on campus, but there are plenty of options for off campus housing, including many that fit a college budget. My advisors and professors have always been available when I've reached out to them. The financial aid office has always been helpful as well. We are also always growing and improving (for example, the Rec, the Zachry building, and Rellis campus). The energy on campus (and through the whole town) in the fall is incredible, and I don't even care about football; it's just great to be around! I also just love walking around campus every day because it's like walking around a gigantic park! There are so many gorgeous live oaks! I love that the traffic in this town isn't insane, like in Austin/Dallas/Houston. The traditions bring everyone together and create a more cohesive, united student body. Outside of class there are tons of opportunities to do whatever suits you--I've been to classical Indian concerts, hockey games, and poetry readings, among others. A&M gives you the opportunities, and it's up to you to make the most of it.

Luis

When I came into college I was beyond scared but excited for my future. Texas A&M and their culture have made me feel like I always at home. They broke the barrier and made me feel great about my college. I love Texas A&M and what we represent. There is no other college out there like this one.

Chrsitine

I am a part of the Aggie Family. This college is one big community where people are always friendly and welcoming. Texas A&M is my home and I couldn't see myself any where else. The college is excellent inside and outside the classroom, giving everyone a niche to call home.

Kriti

Texas A&M University was one of the best things that's ever happened to me, because of the doors that have been opened and the connections and relationships that I've made. I've always had a profound love for science, and Texas A&M has further served to facilitate this. Having come from a difficult high school, I was very subdued and reclusive, having low expectations for college. After having come to Texas A&M, I've become a more motivated, confident, and intelligent individual. Campus life facilitates a strong sense of togetherness and I've made many of my friends in my dormitory. The rigorous science courses have primed me so that I was finally able to come to a conclusion about what I wanted to be when I become over. Overall, Texas A&M University has provided me with connections, knowledge, and memories that will last for years to come.

Ryan

What College Station lacks in size, it makes up for with community. Texas A&M University is one of the most family oriented campuses in the United States. Everyone from the professors, students, and surrounding community genuinely care. This overall culture at A&M creates a very uplifting atmosphere that cultivates success.

victor

i want to be a vet for big animals

Adaline

I loved my experience, anybody interested in getting a well-rounded education and college experience will be very satisfied coming here. It is more science and research based however, and the art majors here have heavy focus on mathematics. But like I said, coming here, there were so many extracurricular activities to get involved with, and so many different kinds of people, and therefore schools of thought. I feel that I came out of Texas A&M a better person, who had been exposed to so much that I never would have otherwise. And of course, the classes were great too. Yes, some made me want to cry, but the professors were available to help, and I never felt like I couldn't get help. There were many resources beyond the professors too that provided help. Overall, very much worth coming to this school. Just be prepared to walk a lot, and possibly pay too much for parking. Parking can be the worst here.

Nichole

As a child and a young adult, I aspired to become an Aggie. I had my heart set on going to Texas A&M at College Station, and I made it happen! I started high school strong and finished my senior year in the top 10% of my graduating class. I knew that being the oldest child of three to my single mother with limited income, I would have to make my own dreams come true; paying for school out of pocket was not an option for me. When I finally received my acceptance letter, I excitedly went for a visit and was immediately inspired by the atmosphere and the people I met - I, unintelligibly, visited during the summer. Eager to move out on my own and start my college career, I moved to campus in hopes that I would make lifelong friends and learn as much as possible during my next 4 adventurous years. Sadly, I quickly learned that my classes were full of students uninterested in becoming friends, or starting study groups, and never made conversation. I spent most of my first few months alone, studying for classes that I would eventually drop. The academics were not the issue; my professors were uninterested in getting to know students, and were often easily frustrated with students that did not understand the work taught in class. Failing my first Chemistry exam, I realized that if I had any intention of passing, I would need to give tutoring a try. Unfortunately, after three attempts to be taught Calculus I and Chemistry I, I realized that I was set for failure - not completely my own fault, either. I sought counseling after three months to help with my worsening mental health, which was ultimately made worse by my failing of exams and failing to secure reliable tutoring. After four weeks of counseling, a personality assessment, and a career match assessment, I decided Texas A&M was extremely detrimental to my health. My counselor did her best to help with my issues, and helped guide me to what, surprisingly, was my best decision in college: I withdrew from Texas A&M. I returned to my hometown and applied at the junior college; I am now studying to be a psychologist (most likely because of the amazing impression the counselor at Texas A&M left on me) and am about to transfer to another university. The reason I gave Texas A&M a three-star review despite my awful experience is because I see A&M as a stepping stone for what became the best possible version of my life.

Jazmin

Big enough to find who you are.

Adelle May

Ever since I learned about Texas A&M University, I knew it was the school for me. Not only is it know to be one of the best Veterinary schools in the country, it is additionally a school like no other. The people at the University have been the nicest people I have ever met. Making friends is no problem and there is always someone to help you along the way. All in all, Texas A&M is a great university with nice people, an exceptional academic status.

Grace

It's home. I don't find myself on the party scene, but I still find my people and feel that A&M is a comfortable place to expand my horizons. Networking is a big deal and there are any opportunities to meet people in the industry. Remember to take advantage of the Aggie Network.

Kahla

I love Texas A&M University! I feel so privileged to be a part of the Aggie family. The environment of this place is unlike any other. A&M has blessed me with so many opportunities that have allowed me to form connections and make friends. The great thing about Aggieland is that the opportunities never end. They will be there from the day you become a student until the day you die. There are so many ways to be involved.

Micaela

Texas A&M is a great university with friendly people, great sports atmosphere and the best academics. During the fall attending a home football game is a must, especially the tailgating before the game when past, current and future Aggies from all around come to support our football team and have a good time hanging out with each other. The food in Texas is delicious. College Station is in a great location as its anywhere from 2-3 hours away from a major city if you are looking for a weekend getaway.

Desiree

As a student here I can say I have enjoyed my time well and learn much. Everyone here is really friendly and great to work with. I have met some of the greatest people here. Always something to do in the near by places. Definitely, come and check it out the Aggie network is great!

I love it! It is a great place and everyone is so nice. There is a place for everyone on this campus. Meaning no matter your, gender, race, sexuality, or political preference you will have a home here. The college is very lively and involved, Aggies support Aggies.

Though I was hesitant at first to choose Texas A&M, I am so thankful every day that I did. We have so much school spirit and pride that we are often deemed a "cult'. From the outside looking in, I can understand why many think this. But from the inside, its impossible to even put how great this university is into words. There are endless opportunities for involvement on campus, and i am forever indebted to one of them which allowed me to make lifelong friendships and grow exponentially as an individual and as a student. Most of the student services on campus have attendees readily available for help, which is very nice when trying to squeeze things in between classes, homework, sleep, organizations, and of course a social life. As amazing as the university is, it has it's flaws. The one that concerns me most is their lack of proper response to sexual assaults on campus -- a growing epidemic across universities nationwide. I have been extremely unhappy with the way some of these situations at A&M have been handled, and the punishments for those who commit the assaults. They seem to care more about academic dishonesty and parking tickets more than they do about properly handling cases of assault. I love this school more and more every day, but this flaw needs to be taken care of immediately.

Gabriela

Texas A&M University is the place to be if you are looking for people who have real character, tradition that stands for something greater than yourself, and outstanding academics. At Texas A&M, the tradition that surrounds and penetrates this campus truly sets this school apart from other universities. It also provides an Aggie Network that is like no other. Wherever you go after University, there will always be an Aggie to help you out.

Sima

I absolutely love it! Everyone is so nice and helpful and it’s got a very homey feel. A&M definitely lives up to its “Friendliest Campus” title. Even though it’s a massive school, it’s so easy to get to know people and make friends. Every time I go on campus, I see people I know!

Edgar

I do believe that our university is one of the best in the nation due to its rich traditions and school spirit. I admit that there is not a lot of diversity, and it is known as being very conservative. However, I have not encountered any discrimination based on my sexuality or ethnicity. There are plenty of ways for students to get involved on and off campus to make this campus with 60,000 students seem a lot smaller than it is. It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing university, but it is by far the most unique and I wouldn't choose any other to receive my education from.

Valerie

A&M offers a unique environment as many traditions exist on campus. The student body is diverse, and I have met people from many different cultures and backgrounds. Professors want to see students succeed, and I consistently feel motivated to study and work hard, but I do not feel pressured or overall stressed out. My favorite aspect of A&M is the loving and supportive community. Every student is willing and excited to make new friends and help out a fellow aggie. For me, the only downfall is the political culture. A&M students tend to talk down upon students who are politically active and want to make a difference. They have an apathetic attitude toward social activism, which is something I am incredibly passionate about. All in all, going to a liberal school would have solved this problem, but I do not totally hate being in an environment where people think differently than me.

Julia

Ah here we are. At the place most people from the outside cannot understand looking in. Some of us have been referenced as a "cult". Others have highlighted our over zealous attitude towards our furry friend and beloved mascot, Reveille. Sure we yell out questionable chants during overpriced football games and close every event with a War Hymn referencing a long-lost opponent UT, but can you blame us? We are "Redass" and embedded in tradition. I couldn't imagine myself attending anywhere else to be honest. I can now see why there are 5th generation Aggie's in my class. Our athletics you may ask? We're pretty good.Yes we may still be holding onto the glory days of Johnny Football but can you blame us? Plus our basketball team is on the come up so SEC beware. Academics is something I should touch on I guess. The teachers are pretty much spot on with what RateMyProfessor claims, and they all genuinely seem to care about their students and want us to succeed. From the first day I enrolled into the University I remember the first thing my professor told me. "In five years what do you call an Aggie? Boss." Now if that isn't some motivating Rocky running up stairs/eye of the tiger theme music playing in the background then I don't know what is. I think it is safe to say that I am grateful to call myself an Aggie.

I love the atmosphere here - it's like a community within the larger city of College Station. The overall feel is friendly and inviting. The academics are rigorous, the teachers (within major-specific classes at least) care about you and their field. Plenty of opportunities to get involved and chart your own path.

Scott

I graduated in 1985, and I have two sons (class of 2017 and class of 2020) currently attending. Although a lot has changed since I graduated, the feel of the school is the same. Facilities are outstanding, and there are many ways to become involved in campus life. The dorms are quite nice, and there is plenty of off campus housing available. The faculty and staff are interested in ensuring students succeed in the classroom and in the transition to college life in general.

Nicholas

Texas A&M is

Jose

Greatest establishment ever created. There really is a spirit can ne'er be told.

Clayton

Amazing school.

Jovanny

Texas A&M University may not be la creme de la creme in terms of schools, but it is certainly up there. Everyone there shares the goal of becoming a better person and making the world a better place, this being displayed by our profound sense of unity and family. Everyone is treated as if they were a best friend, and we all work hard to make sure no one in our class gets left behind. It is incredibly easy to get help from not only the professors, but the students around you, making sure there are multiple study groups, tutoring sessions, and exam reviews available nearly constantly throughout the year to make sure everyone has a chance at success. With six libraries, several computer labs, tutoring programs, clubs, and online forums, getting help couldn't be any easier, and once the studying is done, getting food is just as simple. Texas A&M has nearly forty dining locations spread through the campus to make sure you're never more than a few steps away from something delicious. Unfortunately, the dorms, though conveniently close to class, leave a bit to be desired. Standard dorm rooms, common across most universities, although at the very least they can be decorated and painted with few restrictions. There is a wide range of off-campus living from simple one rooms apartments to full scale homes ready to rent, meaning it's not too hard to find something within your budget. Overall, if I had to choose again, I'd stick with my decision. The people are friendly and open, the program is superb (at least engineering), and the curriculum diverse. For once, learning is actually enjoyable.

Alyssah

During my first year at Texas A&M, I have felt so loved and understood. There are so many organizations to join, the professors are so caring and understanding and the classes are very intriguing and challenging. Going to Texas A&M has helped me grow intellectually, socially and mentally!

Emma

My overall opinion of Texas A&M is great, I may be slightly biased though. Don't get me wrong, the academics are challenging, but that is what sets us apart. They have the best agriculture department in the country, lots of hands on experience, it is close to home, and they have the friendliest people.

Jourdan

I love this school and the people here. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else! There's a close nit group here that keeps me feeling safe, which also means there are friends to be made everywhere you go. It's great to be an Aggie. Live, learn, love and lots of good football!

When I was still visiting colleges in high school Texas A&M by far had the friendliest students and teachers! Historically it has been a more conservative university but everyone is very accepting of everyone. Academic programs are competitive which is why Texas A&M Aggies are some of the best qualified candidates for jobs after graduation.

Enrique

Overall, Aggieland is absolutely incredible and I fell in lvoe with the culture and scenery of the campus my senior year of high school. I knew that I needed to attend Texas A&M because of the huge Christian core and belief that we are all family and all Aggies, and that's what really make this campus better than any other school in this nation. We are the Aggies and the Aggies are we.

Lindsey

Texas A&M is a dream! I love this school so much and I am so proud to call myself a student! It is highly respected academically and as a nuclear engineering student I can tell you the curriculum is difficult, but everyone there is rooting for you to succeed. There are so many things to get involved in and there is no shortage of things to do, but most of all, if you're a part of Texas A&M, you've got a family for life. Aggies stick together and stand up for what is right. Our mission is to serve with integrity no matter where we are because that's what Aggies do. We don't lie, cheat, or steal nor tolerate those who do and those are words that the school takes very seriously. We've got each other's backs and we are always pushing for more. Coming to Texas A&M was the best decision of my life. I have found friends that have become family and I have a purpose that inspires me every day. Thanks and Gig 'Em.

This is overall one of the best colleges that you could attend because of the little cost that it takes for you to attend and because of all the people that attend this college. It has a great environment and is very friendly to the new incoming freshmen.

Allain

Even being from Dallas going a little south to A&M proved to be a big culture shock for me. It seems most of the students here grew up with Christian/conservative/military traditional values. This in itself is fine but over the years I've gotten the overwhelming impression that most of the students here aren't exactly the most open minded, tolerant, and cultured people. Of course not all students are like that here, but if you go against the AGGIE culture the more you will seriously feel a sense of not belonging. A&M academically is a fantastic school, but if you are not a super Conservative Christian Jesus Loving white male or female this may not be the place for you. Regardless of what anyone tries to say, A&M to an extent is racist and A&M to an extent is redneck, but if you can see past it and find your own friend groups it's not so bad. Hopefully more of you open minded people will come here and try to change the culture a little bit, because really, this is a fantastic school and it needs to go ahead with the times.

Abigail

This college is alright at best. I was drawn to it because they talked about the amount of diversity on campus but there is such little diversity here. Other than this the school itself is good but there is very little shops around here. Northgate is where everyone goes to party and the mall here is extremely small.

Raymond

So far, the overall experience at Texas A&M University has been great. The atmosphere on campus is very friendly, and it is easy to have a conversation with anyone, provided you aren't shy. Also, the professors do a great job of presenting and enforcing the curriculum while also making it easy to manage and understand, and provide multiple opportunities to help you succeed.

Katelyn

Texas A&M is the best university I have ever experienced. They do a great job of making every student feel like more than just a number. From great professors and academic programs to unimaginable clubs and extra-curricular activities, A&M has everything anyone looks for in a college.

Laura

The school is large, so you will need a bike or be ready to get fit. There is a student group or club for everything, and if there isn't it is easy to start one. I was in the Viz department, so I did not interact with many professors outside of the ARTS/ARCH/VIST/VIZA umbrella. Of those professors, they were enthusiastic but not all of them were effective teachers.

Marcel

When it comes to attending Texas A&M University in College Station, you will find that it a school full of interesting and unique distinctions. The campus is fully accessible in terms of being able to maneuver to and from each class without having to worry about being late, there are always amazing people to connect with and share your thoughts/ideas/concerns, and the food options are limitless, everything from Chick-fil-a to Panda Express. The biggest misconception regarding my school would mainly be the lack of diversity, but as a current student I will say this. Being an African-American student attending a Predominantly White Institution (PWI) can be, at times, challenging, and others may seem that the school was not the best choice. However, I couldn't be more proud of my university decision, because it has embraced me with open arms and allowed me to become more open-minded regarding alot of issues today in our lives. Overall, I'd recommend my university to anyone out there who is looking for great education, amazing food options and an 5-0 football team (WHOOP!)

Whitney

Even though TAMU is not usually the very best in sports, the fanbase is incredibly loyal and fun. CONGRATS TO TAMU FOR MAKING IT TO THE SWEET SIXTEEN IN MARCH MADNESS!! I had some large classes and some small classes, and I had the best on-campus job that I could imagine. My undergraduate job is one of the major factors that led me into the field of education. Winters were mild, summers were indescribably humid. TAMU was too rural for me and it was not exactly ideal to be an English major at a large engineering school.

Victoria

Texas A&M is a good school academically. There are a variety of majors and having a degree from Texas A&M in Texas really opens the doors for you. The Aggie Network is large and proud so you will always find someone willing to help. Culturally, the school could use some help. The administration is not quick to act on issues of diversity, sexual assault, or sexism. They need to do a better job of protecting all of their students.

Kaci

I absolutely love my University. I was apprehensive about coming to A&M, but it turned out to be the best decision I ever made. Not only does A&M have outstanding academics, there is also an incredibly positive atmosphere about the school, "a spirit that can ne'er be told."

Joshua

Love it. The people here are great, Fish Camp is amazing, and professors will help you out if asked.

Rudee

Howdy, Texas A&M is a unique exciting place like no other university. The campus is always full of friendly people who are actually excited to be there. Aggies are people from all walks of life that want to be a part of a big family. It is not uncommon to walk down the campus and have random strangers say "Howdy"and talk to you like you have been friends people here are always willing to try new things and meet new people.

Noah

Texas A&M overall has been a great school to me. I love it here because of the environment and how accepting everyone is. The Aggie family exists and I really feel connected to everyone here even though this is a large school. The sports are great, the academics are very good, and I have met my best friends and the love of my life here. Overall, Texas A&M is a great place to be.

Ritika

So. It's a super conservative, Christian/White campus. Like, you'll definitely find your people if you're none of the above (heaven knows I did) but like it takes time. There isn't a music department, it dissolved a couple years ago. There are some racist people here. On the bright side, if you're going in for engineering, you have it REALLY good. We have an entire department called "Professors of Practice", which is a department with professors who worked in an industry for at least 20 years and then became professors and they tell you how your class material applies to real life and they also tell you when you'll use certain principles AS THEY TEACH YOU. It's really legit. Also, each room in Zachry engineering complex has a touch screen built into every desk, and a TV attached to each group table (so about 42 TVs in each classroom, not including the 7 around the room people can use to present) and then you can present your laptop screen up on it. There's also 2 career fairs per year and the largest career fairs in the nation here. Also, the honor code here is strongly enforced and it's a REALLY safe campus, you can leave your laptop out in the open and no one would touch it even if you've left for like 1.2 hours (my personal experience).