Texas A & M University-College Station

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-College Station

My college experience fostered my strong personal and professional relationships, and reinforced my passion for community involvement and service orientated habits. I was supplied with a strong foundation of confidence and pride in my tactical skills neccessary to develop my professional goals and growth. Ambition coupled with action and dertimination is key to reaching one's fullest potential and needs to developed and strengthed upon continuously. My experience at Texas A&M University and my personal influences have instilled a valuable drive and a work ethic of a life-long learner that has contributed to successfully exceeding my professional goals.

“Get involved! Get involved!” surrounds fish camp, freshman tradition. You hear you’re on your own in college. Yes, that’s true but get involved and put yourself out there people will help you, get to know your professors even if it’s overwhelming to have 300 students in your class, your professor will never know you unless you make an effort to introduce yourself. College is about being on your own but there are people to guide you if ever needed, even at a big institution so get out there and ask for help because there’s help everywhere.

I wish I had known how humid it is and how much it rains. People often just carry around an umbrella in their backpacks even when rain isn't predicted. I also wish I had known that the MSC Bookstore is actually the most expensive place to get books, although because it's on campus it's also more convenient. However, all the other bookstores are near campus too. Traditions bookstore just started renting out books this semester. Another good place to get books from is Chegg.com, which rents out books, and plants a tree for each book rented.

I wish I had known that when it rains, it pours; that when you smile, someone always smiles back; that when you cheer, another Aggie cheers louder; that when you sleep, there's a blue moon; and when you work hard, there are always others working right along side you. All these things surprised me about A&M. Even after living here for almost a year, there are still days where I look around in shock, and think to myself: amidst all the stress of college applications a year ago, did I ever imagine being this happy with my decision?

Before I came to this school, I wish that I had known how important it was to give of myself to others. Texas A&M University has many clubs and events that plan activities around giving back to the community. The Big Event is just one of the events the student body partakes in where students go to various houses and clean yeards. After seeing what a difference one person can make in others' lives, I can honestly say that in high school I would have organized many events, such as the Big Event, to give back to the community.

Texas A&M was my last choice of Texas Universities that I applied to. I never planned on going to school here. I heard that it is a bunch of wealthy, stuck up white kids, that only go here because there parents went to school there in the past. I wish that someone would have told me that my assumption was wrong and that Texas A&M is actually a school with tons of school spirit and wonderful traditions. Not only that but there are lasting friendships and moments that take your breath away right when you walk onto campus.

Going into college, I anticipated the higher level of difficulty. What I did not know is that I was not alone in this “new world.” I was going to this school where I would be farther from my parents than I have ever been and with no friends. What I didn’t understand is that being an Aggie is being a part of a huge family where people are enthusiastic and eager to help their fellow Aggie in need. The School offers many different tutoring, counseling, and friendship opportunities to make sure that no Aggie is left behind

I wish I had listened to people when they said to make sure you alot enough time to studies. It is entirely possible to get good grades, but you do need to make an effort. That means you shouldn't wait until the night before to complete an assignment or to start studying for a test. Everybody manages eight hours of school before college, so you should be able to do so afterwards. Do make sure to have a social life though or else your time at college will be unbearable. Texas A&M makes it easy to balance both.

There are lots of great resources at Texas A&M, and the school does a good job of informing incoming students of the resources available to them. Looking back, I wish I'd taken better advantage of these resources. I made several changes to my major, and never really found what I wanted to do in life until graduate school. If I'd known how difficult it would be to find the right field for me, I would have sought help from the career services offered on campus to help me find a purpose for being at this school.

I wish that I had known that I would need to change my study habits when I came to this school. I assumed that the ways I had studied in high school would be just as successful in college and that was not the case. I would tell my past self to work on adapting quickly to the different way that college classes are taught and make sure to find a healthy balance amongst all the activities that I am involved in. I wish I had known that many changes would take place and they are necessary but also challenging.