Troy University

« See more reviews of Troy University

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would talk about money. As a senior, I knew that money spending was going to be a work in progress. I would tell myself that I did not need to buy a parking decal because walking to school is cheaper and better for the environment. Also, the time spent looking for a parking spot, you could have already walked to campus and be in class. Also, not to worry about trying to hang out with my friends all the time. In order to succeed, you should put your all into whatever you because there is always someone working harder, but do not lose sight of who your friends are.

Both the student AND the parents should be comfortable in the decision on which college to attend. Whether at home or far away, when all feel good about the decision, things will be much smoother. Don't forget to discuss how often the student will be on campus and at home. Keep a good balance on everything. Parents, don't focus only on academics and students don't focus only on extracurricular activites. Make time for studying but also make time for yourself to relax and rejuvenate. This will make you college experienc much more enjoyable. Also don't sweat the small stuff. You are allowed to have fun, just don't overdo it.

First of all, I would have told myself to apply for more scholarships. Before you enter college, you know it is expensive and scholarships are vital. Even though I may have thought I had enough money to pay, I still had to pay plenty of money to cover my costs. Hidden fees and costs high school seniors are not aware of, later cause most freshmen to pay extra money. Secondly, I would have told my past self to be more social when I came to college. I was rather shy in high school and I wanted to change that when I went to college. I would have reminded my self of that fact if I could go back and speak to my former self.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I'd tell myself to have a plan. When I came to college four years ago, I really did not know what I was getting myself into. From the age 4-17, I attended the same Private Christian school so moving three hours away to attend a Public Secular university would be a culture shock. Had I known then what I know how I would've been active on campus. Of course socializing in a place where I know no one is a challenge. I would have told myself to do more research on my major so that I'd have a life after undergrad plan. After getting a Bachelors, life gets real.

I would go back and really focus on my GPA, the courses that I take, and pay more attention. I would have traveled and visited colleges to expand my options of school choice and made necessary arraignments to complete all the paper work to be accepted before my graduation as senior. When college recruitors would come in to the high school I would be more attentive and ask many questions. I can also say I would do more to research how I could pay for college since I am the first one in my family to attend college. I would not have to take out student loans because I would have a scholarship.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to take as many college classes during the summer as I could before I graduated high school. It makes college less stressful. Also I would tell myself to get involved in any group or organizations that you think you would enjoy. It makes it easier to meet people, and you have a more diverse group of friends. The most important thing I would tell myself is to really get to know your professors. By doing this, they are more willing to help you out in tough situations if you have interacted with them.

If I could go back to my senior days in high school, I would have took the chance to look at more scholarships and not get any loans. I would have gotten more serious about my senior year so that I would have known how to study for college. They way I studied for high school and the way I studied for college was way different I would never have graduated and would have given up if I would never have seeked the support of student support services. I would have taken more harder classes in high school all the way through so that I could actually been some what ready for college life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to get prepared the best that I possibly could and to keep my chin up. Starting at a new school, especially college isn't easy and it is quite the transition. See, when I was a senior I didn't really have anyone there to support me in my decision to go to college. I was scared, nervous, and disappointed, wishing I could have did better than I did. But honestly? I wouldn't change a thing, because I made it. I'm doing my best and making a life for myself. That's all that really matters.

A word of advice I would give myself as a highschool senior about to attend college would be to get involved and be open minded. The best way to meet new people is by getting involved in a club or organization that coincides with your hobbies and interests. Another word of advice I would offer is be open minded. You meet a variety of people in college from all different backgrounds. Many will differ greatly from you, but by being open minded, you can learn so much from another person. By getting involved and being open minded, my highschool self will be successful in college.

What college gave me? The experience of a life time. I learned how to study, socialize, give back to the community, and manage my time. I found out that I could do what I thought was impossible - to get a degree. This gave me confidence in myself, the knowledge needed to get a job, and the ablity to reach out to others and make a difference. Was the studying and not going out all the time worth it. You better believe it. I have continued to grow in my profession and am now going back to school. Come on board and join me. Where there is a will, you will find a way!