Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

Michelle

I think the size of Mary Wash is perfect - it's small enough that you can get to know people, and class sizes are great, but large enough that you can still walk down campus and see people that you don't know.

The student body at Mary Wash is not particularly diverse. However, there are few stereotypes on campus, and minority students generally fit right in. There are exceptions, of course.

Actually, there are tons of things to do on the weekends, and the majority of campus does stick around during weekends and holidays.

I have had nothing but great professors. They really take the time to get to know you, and genuinely care about each and every student in their class. Classes rarely have more than 20 students in them, and even when they do, the professors still make an effort to get to know everyone's names.

We don't have greek life, so any parties are house parties. They get busted fairly regularly, but the cops are all nice. People don't usually get in trouble. As far as extra curriculars go, we have pretty much everything, from an anime club, to cheerleading, to college republicans and young dems. Anything you want to be involved in, we have a club for it.

That we are a suitcase school and that people like to go home on the weekends.

Mallory

I think the best thing about UMW is the people. The students, professors, staff-- you name it, they're pretty amazing. I also think its size is perfect. I was constantly meeting new people, but yet I wasn't just a number in the classroom. With the size of the school, you can establish personal relationships with the professors, and I think that's how I learned as much as I did. They're absolutely brilliant and extremely helpful. There is a considerable amount of school pride at UMW-- but that doesn't necessarily always translate into sporting event attendance. I think well above the majority of students have pride that they go to UMW-- I judge that by the amount of UMW "stuff" people wear-- and it's a good amount. Fredericksburg isn't a college town in my estimation. I think it's a medium sized town that does love our school, though. It's a fun place, small enough to where it's not overwhelming but big enough that there are things to do. And, I'm going to steal an answer from one of my fellow classmates in what I'd change about UMW: it's a Pepsi school, and I'd much rather it be a Coke school. As for an experience I'd always remember, I just can't narrow it down to one. There were far too memorable moments, but I can list a few: Devil/Goat Day, Junior Ring Week, Basketball Games, Grad Ball...

So many different kinds of people at UMW. Like I mentioned before, diversity is increasing (racially speaking.) That's about the only thing that I wanted to see happen in terms of diversity. Religiously, socio-economically, etc.-- it's pretty diverse. There are tons of differently people with tons of different views, but they're all extremely accepting. I never felt as though I was going to be judged or persecuted due to my beliefs. I think that's an important aspect of a college. In terms of political activity, I'd say it's pretty politically active. It's not in your face, though. And there are definitely substantial amounts of people that support both sides. I wouldn't characterize it left, right, or center-- I'd say it's fairly equal. And even if it does lean, it never showed. For example in my political science classes the professors never disclosed their political beliefs. That's not true across all the disciplines, but it definitely was true within my department.

Hm... anything left out? Um... don't think so. All I can say is I'm very proud to say that I am an alumni of Mary Washington-- I learned more than I could've ever imagined, both personally and academically, and I made friendships that will last a lifetime. It was top notch, it really was. Everything has its imperfections, but for me, those imperfections were definitely trumped by the many positives the school has to offer.

I'd say they probably were somewhat accurate years ago, but that's definitely changing. Racial diversity is, thankfully, on the uptrend. And in terms of diversity of personalities, beliefs, etc., Mary Washington is extremely diverse.

I'm a huge nerd, but I loved the academics at UMW. Don't get me wrong, they're no walk in the park. At least within my major, you had to study. There was no way of getting around that. Sure, people skipped out on readings, but it generally showed in the classroom. The professors all knew my name, with the exception of a few random classes. But, within my department, my professors knew me. My favorite class was a political science/international relations class, but I have so many favorites. The faculty know that you can produce wonderful work, and they expect it from you. They push you to perform at the highest level. While that is difficult, I feel as though I've grown personally, academically, socially...all of the above due to my experiences at UMW. I'd say UMW students definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class. I mean, it's not all the time, but it definitely does happen a lot. I'm biased, but I thought my department was the best. The professors, beside being brilliant, were really cool people. I got the opportunity to spend some time with many of them outside of class, and that's pretty common for UMW. I think that's pretty amazing and a wonderful opportunity. They're also pretty hilarious. I'm an easy audience, but the majority of them cracked me up during class. The academic requirements, like I said, are tough at UMW. It's considerably difficult, but it's worth it. I have a job now, and I feel prepared. It's not just "learning for the sake of learning." My academic experience at UMW was challenging, fun, engaging, and overall-- awesome.

Most popular groups on campus? He..ck if I know. There are so many. I was involved with Cheerleading, and while it was time consuming it was well worth it. Student clubs are a lot of fun and they're very easy to get involved with-- you just have to make the effort! People in dorms definitely leave their doors open, especially in freshman dorms. You'll meet tons of people that way. I met my closest friends within my classes in my department, through clubs and activities, at sporting events, etc. People are very friendly at UMW, they honestly want to meet new people. Sporting events are somewhat popular, but could use more involvement. People have a lot of pride in their school at UMW but that doesn't always mean they take the time to attend sporting events. Uh, if I was awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I was studying. I doubt that's uniform across the board, but I'm a huge big nerd and studying was what I did during the week. The weekends, however, were different. If you want to party, there are parties within walking distance. If you don't, you don't have to. It's definitely not a party school, but there are certainly parties on the weekends that you can attend, and have a lot of fun. Downtown there are bars (if you're 21), and lots of other activities. Central Park has a lot of stuff to do as well, and if you don't have a car there is the Fred to get you there or you can use your upperclass friends. If drinking isn't your thing you will definitely find friends that feel the same way.

Well one common misconception is always that it is an all girls school. False! I suppose the only stereotype I can come up with is that we're all the same, not very diverse.

I personally think that the best thing about UMW is its size. I love the atmosphere created by a small school, and that is exactly what UMW has to offer. Every time you walk down campus you will see someone you know, whether it be a classmate or professor. A lot of people think that UMW is an all-girls school, but believe me, it's not! There are more girls on campus, which should be even more of an incentive for guys to come! If I could change one thing about UMW, it would be to offer minors. UMW is one of the few schools I know of that does not offer minors.

There is a variety of people at UMW, and for me (I'm from a small town) there are a lot more LGBT groups than I expected. Everyone interacts with everyone. I don't think any student would feel out of place here, because there are so many different types of people. At lunch there are a variety of students at every table. From my experience, there are a lot of people who are from middle class families, more so than any other socio-economic group. There are two very active political groups on campus, and everyone is very politically aware. There are always a variety of political speakers every year, and each speech is well-attended.

I don't think it's accurate at all. It may seem less diverse compared to other schools, but UMW is also smaller than some of the most diverse schools. There are so many clubs that promote diversity on campus, all you have to do is get involved!

If you are shy and don't like to talk too much in class, don't worry. Yes, the professors know you by name and they will know if you miss class, but they are also good about not calling you out. I'm a shy person and I love classes at UMW. There is a lot of participation in class, and in my classes I've found that it's mostly student driven, depending on the professor. UMW just changed/updated their requirements, and I agree with all of them. There are typical general education requirements like every school. Many of the students don't like the foreign language requirement, which requires students to reach an intermediate level in their language of choice, or four semesters of the language if you start at the beginning.

One of the most popular organizations is Students Helping Honduras. It was started to help children in Honduras and provide homes and schools to certain villages. They hold an annual walkathon each spring to raise money, and there's always a huge turn out. I've gotten involved in a political group on campus, and I'm also a tour guide and RA. I love showing the campus to prospective students because that's one of the main reasons people love UMW. Being an RA, I meet a lot of people, and you meet the most people in your dorm, at parties, and through other friends. If you like to party, there are a decent amount of parties every week. If you don't like to party, there are plenty of other things to do. There are movies (that have been in theaters, but are not out on dvd) shown every weekend for $1 each, there's historic downtown with lots of shops, there's Central Park (that has a mall and tons of shops and restaurants), and you're about an hour away from Richmond and D.C. There's bowling near school and they have a college night. There is tons of stuff to do at UMW if you get involved!!!

Many people say that UMW isn't diverse enough.

Melissa

best thing about umw: the community, and knowing people on campus giving the family feeling, but still meeting new people every day. one thing i'd change: the housing selection. the lottery SUCKS. size? just right. leaning towards the small side if youre used to living in a big city or large highschool. small little town seemingly unaffected by the outside world. biggest recent controversy: Bring our president back! lol Kegger at Frawley's! school pride? needs to be more. Anything unusual? A lot of buildings are old, so there are a lot of stories about certain buildings being haunted. one experience I'll always remember: its tradition to swim in the fountain, but campus police don't like that :) frequent student complaints: too small of a campus with nothing going on. (not true...if you know where to look, but a complaint nonetheless). complaint #2: odd smells around Seacobeck and the Nest...not to mention Seacobeck's food..although its getting better.

Very small diversity on campus. Some international students, some diversity. But primarily white middle class. Very casual attire to class.A lot of students are from Virginia, some from New Jersey. Four tables of students in dining hall: one table are the loud Rowing jocks, the other are the theatre kids who ALWAYS travel in packs, the other are odd RPG kids who wear black in the summer, and die their hair pink, along with adding random piercings, while making up the entire membership of the Renaissance Club. The fourth table are the people who can be nerdy, but also party whenever possible.

Avoid townies at all costs! Easy going Frosh dorms, very chill desk aides. Watch out for the squirrels.

All of the professors I have had know my name. Fav class had to do with computers...surprise because I hate computers...but the professor was AWESOME (Davies). Least favorite: Economics, because the teacher was horrible. AKA the "anti-christ" on ratemyprof.com. students are very smart and active, and I would say competitive, but not in the rutheless negative way. All departments have barbeques for their majors, and that's when a lot of students get to hang out with their professors outside of class. UMW's academic requirements change often, especially particular gen-ed's, which is always a pain.

Most popular: SSH- Students helping Hondoras ( started by a guy who used to go to UMW a couple years back), The Ecology club is the most active helping the environment. the ROwing team is like a cult. I think the other teams have just as much loyalty towards their sport as well. Only Frosh halls really have people leave their doors open. Once you're done with first year, the door stays shut. Athletic events are always the most popular. Guest speakers are more popular with townspeople rather than college kids. Theatre is popular, but needs to be more so. Dating scene: gotta work for it. Going to only a couple events won't allow you to meet a lot of people, but go to a few, and dating is easy. The community type environment, where you can see people more than once, facilitates it.

that it's closed off from the community. that nothing goes on at UMW.

Connie

Number one, the campus is absolutely beautiful. It is one of the main reasons I chose to go to Mary Wash. It's just the right size, you can walk to all your classes, it's very green, lots of really nice landscaping, big lawns, fountains, and a pretty campus walk running through the center of campus. Not only are the buildings very nice-looking with the red brick and white columns, but there is an architectural consistency which is very admirable when you compare to other schools that may have beautiful old buildings but when they build new ones they are boring and ugly and look nothing like the historic buildings around them. The dorms are nice and while they are built in the same style on the outside (all buildings on campus built in the same style, academic, adminstrative or dormitory), they vary a lot on the inside, which is fun when "dorm-shopping" for dorms for the next school year. The school also offers apartment housing for juniors and seniors, these are great, I lived there for one year and while you're still close to campus, it feels like you're living in a real off-campus apartment, which is cool. The size in my opinion is great, it's not a tiny school, but the class sizes are small, the professor knows who you are, you feel comfortable asking for help. People are often impressed when I tell them I go to UMW because most likely they are aware of its excellent academic standards, sometimes they've been to the campus and know of its beauty, or they appreciate the historic background of the town of Fredericksburg. Downtown is very picturesque, lots of fun, quirky stores, cool coffee shops, taverns, bars, it's also close to the Rappahanock river, where you can go swimming when it's warm. People sometimes complain that there are no chain food restaurants or eateries on campus and while that could be nice, if you own a car or know someone who does, it doesn't really matter too much. The food on campus is alright, depending on your tastes. The standard fast food cuisine is prominent, such as burgers, burritos, pizzas, there are also deli style sandwiches and a salad bar so there are actually a bunch of options. Seacobeck, the large three-roomed campus cafeteria with each room serving different cuisines is great value for your meal plan as it's all-you-can-eat buffet style. The Saturday and Sunday brunches are great.

People come from a lot of different backgrounds, I think Mary Wash is comprised of a friendly and open-minded student body.

I definitely think there is a lot to do on campus and in Fredericksburg on the weekends. The campus offers various activities, there are parties, there are great clubs, there's the dollar movie theatre on campus on weekends and there are a lot of great bars and restaurants in downtown Fredericksburg, which is very close to the campus. There are a lot of sports at the school, even without a football team there are plenty of sports events you can go to, the gym is excellent, there's a nice swimming pool and awesome tennis courts that are also open on the weekends.

I switched majors about three times at Mary Wash and still graduated on time, so if you are unsure of what you'd like to major in, don't worry, there's plenty of time to decide what department you find the most interesting. Class participation kind of depends on your department. I find it a lot of fun because in my experience the professors are great moderators, and people are polite, mature and respectful of each other's opinions and time to talk, making it a very comfortable atmosphere. Since the class sizes are quite small this also makes it less intimidating to speak in front of the class during presentations. A lot of students definitely care about their grades, however, I don't feel like there was a lot of competition, people are often supportive and if you have questions, you don't always have to ask the professor, you can ask students also. Some departments have a lot of group projects and most of the time I think that people have been helpful as they are used to being the ones who do a lot of work in high school group projects and therefore they care about getting the work done and so the work is evenly distributed. Professors are often very friendly outside class and a bit more laid-back than in the classroom. Their office hours are there so students can come talk to them if they have any questions about an assignment, and the professors I've had have been very helpful and nice.

Some stereotypes are that a lot of UMW students go home on the weekends because some say there is not much to do. People might also think that since there is no football team that the sports aren't that great at UMW.

Beth

Whenever I tell someone instate that I go to Mary Washington, they get it confused with Mary Baldwin. And anyone from out of state? William and Mary, which is very flattering and I hate to correct them. Mary Washington is just too small. I had never heard of the school, after living in VA, until I was looking for colleges. As a vegetarian, the food is lackluster. There's not enough choices! I love salad, but I cannot eat it every day for every meal! The campus is very beautiful, very very beautiful. However, I wish they'd spend more money on a better food plan or on a better working internet system than they do on the damn landscaping.

The community of students is very open and accepting. PRISM had a large prescence on campus, which is fantastic. All the students seem to come from the same economic background however, middle to upper middle class. Perhaps the school doesn't have enough financial resources to give those from working class families full scholarships to attend, which is really a shame. It's so aggravating to see even a lack of diversity among socio-economic classes.

While Mary Washington is a co-ed school, the ratio of female to male is probably 75-25, and to be honest, that is a very generous estimate on behalf of the male representation. As for the lack of diversity, it's true. Kudos to the multi-cultural center sponsoring events like "Taste of Asia", but I could count the non-white students in all my classes combined on one hand. I can understand the reasonings behind not going to Mary Washington. By going to a larger school, one encounters more diversity, and I can imagine it's not all that thrilling to be the only person of color in a intro class of 100 students.

Art Department Head and Ceramics professor Lorene Nickel is fantastic. But she expects alot out of all levels of her students and is a very tough grader. She takes her students on a trip to her house, every semester.

That the student body population is all-female; a stigma created from the former years of UMW being the women's school of UVA. Also, a large stereotype that all the students are white, with little to no diversity on campus.

Paige

At UMW honor is a huge deal. We live/work by our Honor Code, and everyone takes it seriously. I love it as you know that you can trust people and you don't have to worry as much as things such as cheating or theft. The campus is pretty small, but not too small. One of the things that made me choose UMW is the fact that the students and faculty are extremely friendly, trustworthy, and helpful. Literally everyone goes to UMW; every "stereotype" is represented. The campus is really diverse, but extremely accepting and open-minded.

It is pretty diverse, no one would really feel out of place. As a whole, the student body is friendly and trustworthy.

The boy to girl ratio is about 60-40, so it is just like most universities/colleges. Also, the campus is extremely diverse in every category; everyone is represented and everyone is welcome.

The workload is always a bit time-consuming, but I've never heard of it being unreasonable. The classes are small enough where your professor knows your name; in most cases students stay after class to chat with the professors, and hang out with them on campus.

There is no Greek Life, but there are clubs representing almost anything you can think of. There are performances, concerts, conferences, seminars, guest speakers, sports events, and much more to keep you entertained. There is no Greek Life, but it is a college. No matter where you go to school there will always be some amount of insanity. Also, in the dorms people usually have their doors open so it is really easy to meet people. We have a tradition called Devil-Goat day...you'll figure it out when you get here.

A lot of people think that UMW is still all girls or at least mostly girls. I guess that some people still believe that a lot of "preps" go to UMW.

I love the size of Mary Wash. It's perfect for me; I love that it is small enough to not get lost but large enough to not know EVERYONE (although there are people who do). There is a lot of school pride even though we don't have a football team.

I am very active in InterVarsity which is an on-campus Christian organization. We strive to let the campus know they are loved and to be an outlet for sharing the common ground of our faith. I have had many LGBT friends and value all of my friendships with them; I strongly feel that Mary Wash is a friendly environment no matter who you are or where you place your identity.

1. Definitely not. I've found Mary Wash to be a VERY welcoming and accepting environment. 2. Also definitely not. While there are more than a few Vera Bradley toting Ralph Lauren wearing students, there are also a lot of representation on the flipside.

My favorite class thus far has either been Stats for Psych with Dr. Kolar or Social Psych with Dr. Erchull. Every professor I've run across has been amazing, really striving for quality time. Many of my professors have taken pictures to help remember the students' names - our identity is of value to them. I still have professors from my first semester freshman year asking about my life even though I haven't taken a class with them since then!

Athletic events are very popular. The lack of a football team has led us to extreme support for the rugby, soccer, and basketball teams. Dorms are a friendly environment and I thoroughly enjoyed my two years living in them (However I am very glad to be living off campus now). Traditions include Devil Goat day which is always fun (just a day to hang out with each other) and homecoming.

1. UMW is one of the least diverse schools, and I think people draw conclusions based on that fact. 2. Everyone is preppy.

Stephan

UMW is definitely a medium sized school. Due to the status of being a Division III sports school there isn't the fervor over athletics that you would get a larger University, but the lack of fraternities creates a social atmosphere that is centered around the clubs and sports the school offers. There has been recent problems with selecting presidents but hopefully the new President will last a long time and put those issues to rest. Furthermore the faculty and board of visitors stepped up in a potentially volatile environment in order to keep the university on course. Overall Mary Washington is a medium sized extremely friendly and open atmosphere to go to college and no matter what type of person you are you will find a niche to fill because it is large enough to accommodate diversity while it may not be ethnically representative of the state as a whole.

For a state school with a limited budget I think UMW is hard to beat. The lack of Greek Life keeps the students more focused on academics and the course load is rigorous so that is important. As a male student the ratio of Female to Male students was a huge plus. Also the student body and faculty are very respective of everyone's individual viewpoints for the most part. It is not a party school although with some effort there is always something to do. Also GREAT LOCATION!

There is not a great deal of racial diversity in the student body, but even that is improving. The amount of interaction between groups is refreshing and the spectrum of political and religious beliefs is a large one. The general student body is very aware of current events because the campus is located halfway between Richmond VA and Washington DC. Also there are three different newspapers provided daily for the students. Oh yeah and the ration of females to males still hovers at or above 2-1.

The campus of mary washington is gorgeous. Currently there is a lot of construction going on but even so it is still one of the nicest in the country.

Somewhat however it really depends on which major you are in

Academic difficulty varies significantly by major and by Professors within each major. Most people going for an easy route choose Business Administration and stick to easier teachers, but there are definitely opportunities to challenge yourself within that major and every major for that matter. As a history major you definitely hear of teachers to steer clear of or that are easy. I always found that the most intellectually stimulating (... and yes demanding) courses were the ones taught by the "difficult" professors. Generally they have severe grading criteria but are usually exceptional lecturers or offer ample help in the subject they are teaching outside of the classroom. As far as difficult majors go any of the sciences are difficult. Political science has been a challenging major but with the recent turn over in faculty whether that remains the case is yet to be seen. The hardest majors are definitely the sciences, art history, history, economics, and historic preservation.

Mary Washington offers a wide variety of social offerings from $1 movies to concerts (Lupe Fiasco and Plain White T's were some of the more recent offerings) to Comedians (Nick Thune and Kevin Cease among others) to campaign rallies (former President Clinton came during the Spring 2008 semester). The environment is generally one of safety however there have been a couple thefts of laptops in recent years. I personally never bothered locking my dorm while I lived on campus and never had a problem.

Only downside right now is the constant construction but hopefully that will be completed soon. This University is growing more esteemed by the year and your degree will be worth more as an alumn with each passing year.

These stereotypes may be somewhat accurate at times but the people at UMW are mainly extremely welcoming. I think it is more of an institutional problem that keeps the student body from being more diverse.

Great class sizes and professors though demanding are there to help you if they see you are making an effort. Students are competitive. I recommend taking the harder teachers b/c although your GPA may take a hit you will learn information and skills that will prove invaluable.

Always something going on with one club or another I strongly suggest getting involved in the clubs there is something for everyone and it offers a great opportunity to make friends and gain valuable leadership and organizational experience. If you can not find a club you like MAKE one OSACS is really for the students and they will help you.

That the student body is mostly preppy and white

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.