Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

Hope

Someone who is very concerned and passionate about social justice issues, such as LGBT rights, sexual education, and sex positivity. There is a strong presence of activists on campus, and someone who is very passionate about such issues would excell at Mary Washington. In addition, someone who is very interested in a science-based major would fit in very well at Mary Washington. The science programs are very strong, and there is a definite niche for those who are passionate about natural sciences.

Students who are concerned with a heavily sports influenced college experience should not attend Mary Washington. The school does not have a football team, and while there are varsity sports available, there is not very much school pride at Mary Washington. In addition, there are limitted student organizations to join, and the majority of social interactions revolve around the small amount of parties on weekends, or dorm drinking.

Jazmin

My classmates at University of Mary Washington are helpful and understanding if I ever need assistance.

Well this school is great but has one little annoyance I am a woman of color and I saw that University of Mary Washington had advertise a lot of diversity that went to the school, for example on their website and almost all of their pamphlets so I assumed that Mary Washington had like twenty percent of diversity. Once i got to the school it was more like five percent, I was very annoyed but not enough to leave the school.

Let me just tell you some advice now before you go on to college, some things that I have learned that you will find useful. First of all develop a good study habit and stick to it because if you do not do your work even if it was not assigned reading the book is so helpful. There is so many distractions and your friends will try and make you not study and do your assignments. Secondly a good thing to do is get a lot of volunteer down under your belt so you can build your resume up. Your resume is very important in college it is how your future employers will see you and the first thing they will see. And most important is to go to a college that you will enjoy because if you do not it does not matter if you are taking easy classes or hard classes you will not do well. College life is very different from high school do not treat it the same.

Alexis

I would remind myself to take more AP classes and assure myself that I should just get through them and do well on the exams for credit. It is not hard to pass the exam and it makes the best use of 4 required years in school. I would have more credits toward my general ed requirements and minimize some of the more tedious classes that I will have to take.

We are not particularly wheelchair accessable. While we have paths that claim to be so, however, Mary Wash is situated on a slope that yields steep paths and the way they were built is to be very narrow.

I can't think of anything I've struggled with.

Tracy

First thing I would say is Do Not Quit. My biggest mistake was quiting before I completed college the first time. I would also tell my high school senior self to join as many organizations and societies as possible. I realize now if I had surrounded myself with common minded people I would not have quit in the first place. I would tell my self that when going away to college that is several hours away from home, I should surround myself with a second family. That second family will help me not be so homesick, and would give me the support I needed to complete college.

Alejandra

If I was in High School once again, I would advice my self many things. One of them would be to get A+ in all my classes since my freshman year. If I would've done this I would've become a part of the Top %10 of my class or even a Top 10 student or even better a Valedictorian. A+ grades in all my classes would've gotten me many scholarships and I wouldn't have to worry about the money. I would also adivce myself to be in many extracurricular activities, these would've been very helpful to me and would help me get many shcolarships as well. And last but not least I would advice myself to save money for college because it is very expensive and the more you are prepared you are for it the the more succesful you will be; money plays an important part in college life, not only for tuition and fees but also for food, textbooks and many extra thing that come out every now an then. Conclusion is, good grades, getting involved and being economically safe is the importantest thing so we don't struggle when going to college.

Cynthia

I don't know, because we have a lot of different types of people. I can however tell you who shouldn't apply to this school: anyone looking for a Mrs. degree (we have a pretty big majority of women on campus) or anyone for whom Greek life is a priority. UMW is most definitely NOT a party school, not that there aren't any parties, but if you plan to spend your entire college career drunk, this is not the place for you.

Be more outgoing: talk to your professors and your fellow students more. Ask and answer questions more often and better. Make conversation with strangers and always remember that everyone else feels awkward too. Be yourself and assert your feelings because you never know who will love the weirdo that you are, and if you don't ask for something the answer will always be "no." Don't be too afraid to make mistakes that you don't do anything; you WILL regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did. Speaking of which, study more. A lot more. I know you have motivation problems, but it will pay off in the long run and it's not like you have anything better to do anyways! Also, save even more of your money than you already are, and this applies to Sophomore year too because you'll have some problems with the IRS and your financial aid will get screwed up Junior year and you will need it desperately. Other than that, don't stop being awesome. You're great. I may regret your actions, but I love you. Sincerely, your future self.

The community. We're a smaller school, and sometimes it can feel like everyone knows everyone, but we're not THAT small. We are, however, a close-knit community, often like a family--not only in the warmth, support, and love that that implies but also the drama.

Amy

I have really enjoyed my time at UMW and it has been a great college experience. I enjoyed living in Fredericksburg for the past few years, and I will miss the strong sense of community at this school. I hope in the future that UMW maintains its small size to preserve the 'small campus' feel. I would encourage any student coming here to get involved in the community. Volunteering is something that can bring you closer to the town you live in, show you a world outside of the 'college bubble', and it can help you meet other like-minded service oriented people. Really, in my experience, all the students at UMW are kind, helpful people. You will never find a person lost on campus who can't find ten different people willing to give them directions or even go the extra step and walk them to their destination. Even though, like all colleges, there are groups of people that tend to stick together, most people have at least one friend in all these different groups. People in the same major tend to be friends, but many of my closest friends are not in my major and have nothing to do with my field of study. I would hope to see some more school pride in the future, and maybe one day even a football team. Basically, the college experience is what you make of it but University of Mary Washington can help you make it great.

The academics here are pretty challenging. I don't believe the school gets enough credit for its academics. The courses can be difficult but the professors are wonderful and genuinely care about each of their students. They challenge their students to think critically and participate frequently. I have really enjoyed most of my courses here at UMW and I have never found a professor that I really disliked. Everyone is helpful in class as well. Students help each other study and generally, they come to class because they want to be there and they find value in the work they are doing. I have heard countless alumni say that UMW prepared them very well for their career and the work force and that having an education here is a great asset.

The stereotype of the school is that there are very few men here, that everyone goes home on the weekends, that there is little diversity, and that there is very little social life. In my time here, I have found the stereotypes to be very untrue. As far as not having many men, or other diversity in general, I have seen an increase in both over my last three and a half years here. Every year, the diversity improves, and I believe UMW is committed to encouraging diversity and fostering an appreciation for it on campus. As far as the lack of 'social life' and everyone going home on the weekends, I have also not found this to be the case. There are so many campus activities and clubs to get involved in that you basically have to avoid campus to not get involved in something. Downtown Fredericksburg can be a great place to walk around during the day, and a fun place to go have dinner or hang out at night. UMW is not a party school, but it can certainly be a fun place if you have a good group of friends and a willingness to get involved on campus and in the community.

Laura

A beautiful campus with very intelligent professors who encourage learning for learning's sake within a community of supportive individuals.

If I had the opportunity to talk with myself as a high school senior I would turn it down. The best part in knowing what I now know about college life was experiencing it for myself. Living in a dorm room followed by an apartment, I was finally able to make my own choices and inevitably mistakes. Life will always hand us great risks, but without risking possible failure we will never succeed, we will never have the opportunity to better ourselves or our world. I have also learned that much of what I value about college is not my final grade or even my paper diploma that now hangs on my bedroom wall, but it is the journey through the college maze. Within it I found friends, professors, and family to lead me through. I also figured out how much I could rely on myself for strength. Even though I might be able to make some of my choices easier by visiting a younger me, I would hate to take away what I learned from the difficult times. And without them I would never appreciate the best times. College made me the best version of my high school self.

Someone who is conservative and very interested in school spirit.

Katelyn

Its a small community where people remember your name and you feel so apart of the school that you WANT to get involved in any way you can.

The worst thing would probably that events arent publicized as well as they should be so sometimes cool events happen and you arent aware so you miss out.

I would also tell myself that the most important thing to take with you is what you believe and your confidence. I would tell myselft to not rush growing up. It will happen in time. Don't waste time trying to be older, because when you get there, you wish you were younger to have less responsibility, worry, and grownup things to deal with. Lastly would tell myself to not to stress out about or be so dead set on going far away or going to "popular" or "big-name" college, because when you get here, you realize that popularity was for ameteaur high schoolers, the "biggest" name here is the lady in the dining hall who every knows and loves, and you realize that you miss your family like crazy. College is just another season in life. Every season has its significance so cherish the season you are in and treasure every moment!

James

The biggest advice i would give to myself as a high school senior would be to just relax and enjoy my last year of high school. As a senior in high school, so much pressure is put on by parents, friends, and even oneself to get into the best school possible, to get into the same school as a friend, or to just get out of the house! No matter what college a student ends up in, he or she will get a great education and will be able to have fun and prepare themselves for the next step in life. Friends come and go, and the friends you make in high school you may have to leave behind. However, there are thousands of new people to meet in college and beyond and it is very easy to have fun and be yourself. There is no real need to feel stressed about the college process, just relax and enjoy it.

The best thing about Mary Washington is the sense of community that is felt from the very first day you set foot on campus. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help with anything and everything. It is easy to meet new people and it is easy to feel safe and comfortable on a daily basis. It is just the right size to support this tight knit community feeling.

The worst thing about Mary Washington is the freshman housing situation. The dorms are just fine, but the problem is that there are several smaller dorms that are spread around campus. This tends to separate the freshmen classes into their separate dorms and makes it more difficult to meet as many people as possible.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.