Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

The best thing about school is the people, and the professors! Also, I really like that the campus is small, so everything you need is accessable and not a pain to get to without having a car!

I have only been at college for a short time...and I have had no experience that has made me hate it, or even consider transfering or "taking a break" but I guess one thing that is frustrating is the dining hall schedules. The main dining hall closes a little early (8:00?)...I wish it was open later.

Many people have never heard about Mary Washington. Also, there is not a football team at Mary Washington to bring the students together.

The class sizes are small, therefore, students develop intimate relationships with their professors.

I would tell my high school self not to waste time and to take responsibility for my own education. I wasted time applying to schools as a senior that I had no desire to attend for any other reason than that I had friends that attended. The schools that I applied to were not as well suited to what my goals turned out to be as they could have been. Do not worry about not making friends, just go where you will get the best education. I would also tell myself not to rely entirely on counselors or advisors. Do not expect them to tell you exactly what to take without doing any work yourself. Faculty are not you and if you are not sure what you want to do with your time in college, you can bet they have no idea. Advisors are there to set you on the right path but you have to have a general idea of where you want to go. Do not be afraid to seek out better in your advisors. In order to appreciate your success in college, take personal responsibility for it and worry about your path, not those of your friends.

If you're looking for a big school with a variety of sports and the traditional Greek life, UMW is not for you. It does not have a football team so a student who likes that atmosphere might want to look elsewhere. UMW is also not a party school. Students here are serious and are not looking for an easy ride. Students have fun but it is not what movies make out college to be., so don't be surprised!

I wish I had known how helpful staff could be! Take advantage of the most important resource at Mary Washington, the faculty! They always respond quickly to emails and do their best to help. I've had such good experiences with the ResLife staff and the professors (who actually teach the classes!). Don't be afraid to ask for clarification on assignments or about clubs and other great activities for students. I know it can seem intimidating for a student to just email a professor directly, but just give it a try!

Mariana

University of Mary Washignton makes sure future teachers have the possibility to learn from the most updated material and research-based approaches and at the same time have practical experiences while still taking courses.

Those who are not willing to devote most of the part of the day to studying and being involved in other experiences that will help a future carrer in education.

Set time aside to become used to setting daily, weekly, and monthly calendar. This will help you a lot for keeping track of the many things you have to do; especially if you work and study.

Audrey

The advice I would give myself would be to study more and focus in school. During high school I focused on the activities which were great for my social life but as far as academics I was not the best student that I know I could be. Organization is a huge factor to when you get into college. You must be organized with all your school work in order to complete all assignments on time and effenciently. I would also tell my self to be more responsible. When you are in college you must be responsible for all your actions and have discipline to go to class and eager to learn while in those classes. As far as a social life in college you must be able to balance a healthy social life and be able to focus on your academics for your future.

The worst thing about attending University of Mary Washington is there is no activities planned on the weekends and not much student interaction with one another. It is a pretty large campus and difficult to meet new people with no activities going on.

I like that it is in a quiet town and there is some shopping around the area so you can have a nice day out during spring time.

Shannon

The worst thing about my school is its size. The campus is fairly large, but the population is only about 4,000. I love large schools and I wish I had more classmates to interact and learn with. A smaller population can be limiting and provide inadequate social skills and life lessons that would be useful in the future.

I would like to make a positive difference in the world by what I have learned so far through my education and pursuit to become a social worker. Social work is an emotionally taxing occupation, but I would consider it a noble profession. Families, single parents, and abused children benefit greatly from social work organizations. What I see that needs change in this world is our living conditions and how humans treat each other. There is so much domestic violence in families now because of things such as poverty and neglect. All these problems can be evaluated and helped through benefit programs. I want to help fix injustices and abuse. What bothers me the most is not the fact that we have a responsibility to change, but that we refuse to accept this it.

The best thing about my school is how dedicated the teachers are to their students. The classroom setting is incredibly friendly and easy to interact in. The largest class consists of 60 students and even then the teacher manages to give individual attention to those struggling or falling behind.

Inga

As I have said in the previous answer, the campus of Mary Washington is like no other campus in the nation. The historically preserved buildings and majestic verdure that surround them are characteristics that proclaim what Mary Washington stands for: historic preservation and environmental well-being. These two aspects have become increasingly important in today's world and to have a college that honors them continuously is a beautiful concept.

During these past 2 years of college, I have done a lot of evaluations on life. In my first year, I dreaded living in the prison-like freshmen dorms where I had no exposure to diversity. I spent most of my time in solitude, reading and asking myself questions pertaining to life. This year, I understood the purpose of the loneliness I had experienced: a spiritual revolution. Many conflicts suddenly emerged in my social and family lives and surprisingly, I responded to them with a wisdom I never knew I possessed. In that solitude of freshmen year, I tapped into a new found strength and source of intelligence that had been dormant for so long. In many ways, a seemingly depressive year turned out to be a series of blessings. It also allowed me to greatly appreciate the friendships I made in the international living themed dorm I now live in. The many things I lacked of during my first year have an enormous amount of significance now. This isolation, that I had never experienced before, inspired a deep philosophical transformation in me that shapes the way I view life and the events that unfold in it today.

One of the bad things about this college, ironically, was also one of the major aspects that coaxed my decision of attending it: the campus. When I first visited Mary Washington, I fell in love with the scenery and size of the campus. The greenery is ever-appeasing during the stressful weeks of finals and the neoclassicism-inspired builduings create a very peaceful atmosphere. Unfortunately, after repeatedly seeing these buildings and with the lack of off-campus activity due to the isolation of the school, this peaceful atmosphere is gradually distorted into a unpleasantly presented still life painting.

Kellan

I have gained a broader since of what being outgoing means. Its hard in college to be the 'quiet one' and expect to get out of college what you want to. Breaking out of my shell really helped me to meet a lot of cool people and learn a lot from the people that I came across that I would have not otherwise have been able to experiance becuase of being shy. College has really helped in getting me out of that comfort zone to live my life and not be afriad of what other people may think of me.

The campus is beautiful. Since UMW is such a small school you can really feel the community togetherness when you walk through campus. The classes are also another thing that is pretty awesome! The professors are always available in class as well as outside of class, so you never have to stress out if you don't understand something. What I love most about UMW are the clubs that are provided on campus, there is always a club hosting a bbq are interest meeting so its easy to get involved on campus.

I wish I would have known exactly how small UMW is. I mean I knew it was small but i didint know that it was really THAT small. Everyone knows everyone on this campus!

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.