Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

James

The biggest advice i would give to myself as a high school senior would be to just relax and enjoy my last year of high school. As a senior in high school, so much pressure is put on by parents, friends, and even oneself to get into the best school possible, to get into the same school as a friend, or to just get out of the house! No matter what college a student ends up in, he or she will get a great education and will be able to have fun and prepare themselves for the next step in life. Friends come and go, and the friends you make in high school you may have to leave behind. However, there are thousands of new people to meet in college and beyond and it is very easy to have fun and be yourself. There is no real need to feel stressed about the college process, just relax and enjoy it.

The best thing about Mary Washington is the sense of community that is felt from the very first day you set foot on campus. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help with anything and everything. It is easy to meet new people and it is easy to feel safe and comfortable on a daily basis. It is just the right size to support this tight knit community feeling.

The worst thing about Mary Washington is the freshman housing situation. The dorms are just fine, but the problem is that there are several smaller dorms that are spread around campus. This tends to separate the freshmen classes into their separate dorms and makes it more difficult to meet as many people as possible.

Karen

The University of Mary Washington is probably best known for being a good value school. It offers strong academics and (for those willing to explore) many options for participating in campus life. The professors are excellent and helpful, and there are also many amenities close to campus. Though the school is not very famous, it offers a great education and experience at a fairly low cost.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Mary Washington was class registration and attempting to transfer credits from study abroad and test results. The office of the Registrar was often very crowded on registration day with students attempting to argue their way into classes, because many classes are offered in very few sections with few seats. Also, friends of mine who tried to transfer credits were sometimes never successful in getting them recognized, even though they came from legitimate sources.

If I could give advice to myself as I high school senior, I would remind myself to be open to new experiences. As a college freshman, I retained many loyalties to my friends at home and my family. Meeting new people made me feel insecure, and so I focused on my old friendships instead of making new ones. I used academics to further shield myself from social life, as I tried to complete all homework before going on social outings. Due to my actions, I isolated myself from many people who could have become good friends, and delayed other friendships which later became amazing relationships. Thus, I would go back in time to tell myself that academics are not everything. I would say that homework can be done any time, but that friends are only available at certain times. I would remind myself that I am an interesting person with whom other people will want to build a relationship and that I should balance my priorities. The balance between social life and academics which I achieved in my later years in college led to a wonderfully satisfying lifestyle and memories I would never want to lose.

Kelly

The best thing about the school for me is the small size. It does remind me of high school where every one seems to know everything about each other, but for me seeing people on campus that are in my classes is comforting. There are enough students to make great friends but not too big where I am overwhelmed. I know that there is a lot of push lately to make our school bigger and attract more students; however, I feel that if our school grows any larger that it will lose its small school feel. I feel like this is UMW's greatest attribute. I hope that we keep this size and do not expand to become a college when every student is simply a number. I love the small classes you usually get at UMW. The biggest class I had was about sixty for an intro class. That was a HUGE class for me! If I had to sit in an auditorium with about three hundred kids I would probably fail the class. I like being able to ask professors questions and getting to know some of them. I am usually not in my room much because I have a job and am involved on campus. Mary Washington provides a lot of opportunities to get involved and take leadership roles. I respect the school administration, but like I mentioned up top they are trying to expand the school. Because they are pushing to advertise UMW more and get our name out, I am not too fond of them because I am nervous they will take away UMW's small school environment. Our dorms are very old and sometimes this may turn people off. I live in a dorm that was probably built around the mid-1900s. Although it's very old, I love it. I love having so much history behind our school. We have a lot of rituals and events that have been passed down through the years that we still are involved in. Although no school is perfect, I have to say UMW is as good as it's going to get. I love the campus. It's beautiful. The scenery is relaxing and in the fall it's even more gorgeous. The food of course is not going to be the best, but it's bearable. You learn what you like and don't like.

Some of the most popular clubs on campus include COAR (a service club), Honor Council (makes sure the honor code is being used around campus), rugby during homecoming weekend, and many others. I am involved in two groups: Circle K International (the college level of Key Club) and ARH (association of residence halls). I'm vice president of CKI and president of my hall council. Students do not usually leave their doors open. People usually do that more freshmen year, but as we grow older we get busier. Usually when upperclassmen are in their rooms, they are either working or sleeping and don't want to be disturbed. Athletics aren't really big on campus. We do not have a football team. The reason for this is because it would cost millions to start one. UMW is trying to get more school spirit through Eagle Nation. I met my closest friends either in my dorm or through clubs I am involved in. Traditional events on campus include but not limited to devil/goat day, club carnival, Mr. UMW, and Friday night dry. People do party at this school, but not excessively. I am not the party type, and I am not surrounded by parties. It's your choice to party or not. Sororities are not big on campus at all. We have no Greek life. My typical weekend includes working, doing volunteer work and homework, and hanging out with friends. If you don't want to drink, there is cheap seats where you pay a dollar to see a movie, you can go off campus to Central Park, or just chill and talk with friends.

We have a very diverse set of students. A majority of our students are LGBT, and we have a great group called PRISM to help educate the campus about LGBT individuals and where LGBT people can come together and discuss problems, plan events, or share experiences. We do also have a large group of Christian based religions on campus. Students that are religious still have the chance to attend church with transportation usually being provided or in walking distance. A church near campus is always hosting dinner and inviting students to attend mass. Most students dress comfortably on campus such as in sweat pants. Some students do still wear jeans, and other will be seen in dress clothes after coming from work or practicum. All different students do interact on campus. Students are able to have friends like the, such as same religion or sexuality, and also friends that may not come from the same background. All of the students get along fairly well. Most students are from Northern Virginia. There are some out-of-state students and out-of-the-country students as well. With many people coming from around the DC area, the student body is mostly middle class white Americans. Students are politically aware, and I have to say we are more on the liberal side.

My major is psychology, and I am also doing the five-year program for elementary education. Both of these departments are well-established at UMW. A majority of professors know my name. I believe the only classes where a professor has not has been intro classes. My favorite class this year is probably my primary literacy class. I love teaching and being around kids, so most of my education classes are my favorite. Students are very studious here. I know I spend a great amount of time studying and working on papers. I know that when I have to go to the library, it is usually packed of students working. Class participation is usually a common occurrence in class. This does depend on how engaging the professor is. The professor really does set the entire tone for the class. I have only experienced one horrible professor, and he does not teach here any longer. The professors are always willing to help during office hours or schedule another time if that does not work for you. All of my professors are very prompt on emailing me back and helping the best they can. Classes are very competitive. Students want to be the best and be remembered by professors. This can ensure that they will have good recommendations at the end of their college career or be able to force add a class if needed. It's also great to have relationships with your professors because they are very insightful and have a lot of great life advice for inside and outside of the classroom. All of the majors at this school that I am aware of try to prepare you for either graduate school or a job. We have a great resource center for careers and internships. They are always sending out emails for resume workshops and other events to help students with getting a job or applying for graduate school.

Before I came to UMW, I was warned of the massive female population. Because UMW used to be an all-women's college, we still have part of that legacy with most of our students being female. I believe our student population is about 70% women and 30% men. This may seem like a large portion of women, but it doesn't really both me. In most of my classes, there will only be about three or four boys. Also since we are a liberal arts college, our student body is more liberal and open-minded to people's differing lifestyles. I think that because we are accepting of many different people that sometimes society views a lot of our students as "hippies." I love how open we are to every one though. We have clubs that represent about every group of people depending on race, sexuality, culture, and many other aspects.

The best thing about school is the people, and the professors! Also, I really like that the campus is small, so everything you need is accessable and not a pain to get to without having a car!

I have only been at college for a short time...and I have had no experience that has made me hate it, or even consider transfering or "taking a break" but I guess one thing that is frustrating is the dining hall schedules. The main dining hall closes a little early (8:00?)...I wish it was open later.

Many people have never heard about Mary Washington. Also, there is not a football team at Mary Washington to bring the students together.

The class sizes are small, therefore, students develop intimate relationships with their professors.

I would tell my high school self not to waste time and to take responsibility for my own education. I wasted time applying to schools as a senior that I had no desire to attend for any other reason than that I had friends that attended. The schools that I applied to were not as well suited to what my goals turned out to be as they could have been. Do not worry about not making friends, just go where you will get the best education. I would also tell myself not to rely entirely on counselors or advisors. Do not expect them to tell you exactly what to take without doing any work yourself. Faculty are not you and if you are not sure what you want to do with your time in college, you can bet they have no idea. Advisors are there to set you on the right path but you have to have a general idea of where you want to go. Do not be afraid to seek out better in your advisors. In order to appreciate your success in college, take personal responsibility for it and worry about your path, not those of your friends.

If you're looking for a big school with a variety of sports and the traditional Greek life, UMW is not for you. It does not have a football team so a student who likes that atmosphere might want to look elsewhere. UMW is also not a party school. Students here are serious and are not looking for an easy ride. Students have fun but it is not what movies make out college to be., so don't be surprised!

I wish I had known how helpful staff could be! Take advantage of the most important resource at Mary Washington, the faculty! They always respond quickly to emails and do their best to help. I've had such good experiences with the ResLife staff and the professors (who actually teach the classes!). Don't be afraid to ask for clarification on assignments or about clubs and other great activities for students. I know it can seem intimidating for a student to just email a professor directly, but just give it a try!

Mariana

University of Mary Washignton makes sure future teachers have the possibility to learn from the most updated material and research-based approaches and at the same time have practical experiences while still taking courses.

Those who are not willing to devote most of the part of the day to studying and being involved in other experiences that will help a future carrer in education.

Set time aside to become used to setting daily, weekly, and monthly calendar. This will help you a lot for keeping track of the many things you have to do; especially if you work and study.

Audrey

The advice I would give myself would be to study more and focus in school. During high school I focused on the activities which were great for my social life but as far as academics I was not the best student that I know I could be. Organization is a huge factor to when you get into college. You must be organized with all your school work in order to complete all assignments on time and effenciently. I would also tell my self to be more responsible. When you are in college you must be responsible for all your actions and have discipline to go to class and eager to learn while in those classes. As far as a social life in college you must be able to balance a healthy social life and be able to focus on your academics for your future.

The worst thing about attending University of Mary Washington is there is no activities planned on the weekends and not much student interaction with one another. It is a pretty large campus and difficult to meet new people with no activities going on.

I like that it is in a quiet town and there is some shopping around the area so you can have a nice day out during spring time.

Shannon

The worst thing about my school is its size. The campus is fairly large, but the population is only about 4,000. I love large schools and I wish I had more classmates to interact and learn with. A smaller population can be limiting and provide inadequate social skills and life lessons that would be useful in the future.

I would like to make a positive difference in the world by what I have learned so far through my education and pursuit to become a social worker. Social work is an emotionally taxing occupation, but I would consider it a noble profession. Families, single parents, and abused children benefit greatly from social work organizations. What I see that needs change in this world is our living conditions and how humans treat each other. There is so much domestic violence in families now because of things such as poverty and neglect. All these problems can be evaluated and helped through benefit programs. I want to help fix injustices and abuse. What bothers me the most is not the fact that we have a responsibility to change, but that we refuse to accept this it.

The best thing about my school is how dedicated the teachers are to their students. The classroom setting is incredibly friendly and easy to interact in. The largest class consists of 60 students and even then the teacher manages to give individual attention to those struggling or falling behind.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.