Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

Mariana

University of Mary Washignton makes sure future teachers have the possibility to learn from the most updated material and research-based approaches and at the same time have practical experiences while still taking courses.

Those who are not willing to devote most of the part of the day to studying and being involved in other experiences that will help a future carrer in education.

Set time aside to become used to setting daily, weekly, and monthly calendar. This will help you a lot for keeping track of the many things you have to do; especially if you work and study.

Audrey

The advice I would give myself would be to study more and focus in school. During high school I focused on the activities which were great for my social life but as far as academics I was not the best student that I know I could be. Organization is a huge factor to when you get into college. You must be organized with all your school work in order to complete all assignments on time and effenciently. I would also tell my self to be more responsible. When you are in college you must be responsible for all your actions and have discipline to go to class and eager to learn while in those classes. As far as a social life in college you must be able to balance a healthy social life and be able to focus on your academics for your future.

The worst thing about attending University of Mary Washington is there is no activities planned on the weekends and not much student interaction with one another. It is a pretty large campus and difficult to meet new people with no activities going on.

I like that it is in a quiet town and there is some shopping around the area so you can have a nice day out during spring time.

Shannon

The worst thing about my school is its size. The campus is fairly large, but the population is only about 4,000. I love large schools and I wish I had more classmates to interact and learn with. A smaller population can be limiting and provide inadequate social skills and life lessons that would be useful in the future.

I would like to make a positive difference in the world by what I have learned so far through my education and pursuit to become a social worker. Social work is an emotionally taxing occupation, but I would consider it a noble profession. Families, single parents, and abused children benefit greatly from social work organizations. What I see that needs change in this world is our living conditions and how humans treat each other. There is so much domestic violence in families now because of things such as poverty and neglect. All these problems can be evaluated and helped through benefit programs. I want to help fix injustices and abuse. What bothers me the most is not the fact that we have a responsibility to change, but that we refuse to accept this it.

The best thing about my school is how dedicated the teachers are to their students. The classroom setting is incredibly friendly and easy to interact in. The largest class consists of 60 students and even then the teacher manages to give individual attention to those struggling or falling behind.

Inga

As I have said in the previous answer, the campus of Mary Washington is like no other campus in the nation. The historically preserved buildings and majestic verdure that surround them are characteristics that proclaim what Mary Washington stands for: historic preservation and environmental well-being. These two aspects have become increasingly important in today's world and to have a college that honors them continuously is a beautiful concept.

During these past 2 years of college, I have done a lot of evaluations on life. In my first year, I dreaded living in the prison-like freshmen dorms where I had no exposure to diversity. I spent most of my time in solitude, reading and asking myself questions pertaining to life. This year, I understood the purpose of the loneliness I had experienced: a spiritual revolution. Many conflicts suddenly emerged in my social and family lives and surprisingly, I responded to them with a wisdom I never knew I possessed. In that solitude of freshmen year, I tapped into a new found strength and source of intelligence that had been dormant for so long. In many ways, a seemingly depressive year turned out to be a series of blessings. It also allowed me to greatly appreciate the friendships I made in the international living themed dorm I now live in. The many things I lacked of during my first year have an enormous amount of significance now. This isolation, that I had never experienced before, inspired a deep philosophical transformation in me that shapes the way I view life and the events that unfold in it today.

One of the bad things about this college, ironically, was also one of the major aspects that coaxed my decision of attending it: the campus. When I first visited Mary Washington, I fell in love with the scenery and size of the campus. The greenery is ever-appeasing during the stressful weeks of finals and the neoclassicism-inspired builduings create a very peaceful atmosphere. Unfortunately, after repeatedly seeing these buildings and with the lack of off-campus activity due to the isolation of the school, this peaceful atmosphere is gradually distorted into a unpleasantly presented still life painting.

Kellan

I have gained a broader since of what being outgoing means. Its hard in college to be the 'quiet one' and expect to get out of college what you want to. Breaking out of my shell really helped me to meet a lot of cool people and learn a lot from the people that I came across that I would have not otherwise have been able to experiance becuase of being shy. College has really helped in getting me out of that comfort zone to live my life and not be afriad of what other people may think of me.

The campus is beautiful. Since UMW is such a small school you can really feel the community togetherness when you walk through campus. The classes are also another thing that is pretty awesome! The professors are always available in class as well as outside of class, so you never have to stress out if you don't understand something. What I love most about UMW are the clubs that are provided on campus, there is always a club hosting a bbq are interest meeting so its easy to get involved on campus.

I wish I would have known exactly how small UMW is. I mean I knew it was small but i didint know that it was really THAT small. Everyone knows everyone on this campus!

Christine

Mary Washington is a quite and small school, where students get to know their professors on an individual basis, and it is a beautiful place to study.

Someone who likes a busy and crowded enviroment should not attend Mary Washington.

College has really broaded and opened my mind to a lot of social, enviromental and human rights issues. Taking this time out of my life to devote to studying and learning is really important because I am able to be educated on the issues the past has contributed to and that our generation is going to be apart of fixing.

Katie

My classmates care about their education and strive to make a difference on campus and in society.

I traveled 3,000 miles across the country to attend my college and I could not have asked for a better experience. I did not know anyone but I was embraced by the campus community and have made lifelong friends. At my school I am surrounded by genuine people who know what they want out of life and who work hard to get there. These people have set an example for me and how I live my life. I have learned what it means to make mistakes in the classroom and with friends, but with the support of those around me I have learned from those experiences. I have a growing sense of responsibility and a better idea of what I want out of life. For me, college has been a place of growth. Nothing could have prepared me for the people and experiences I would face.

The price for food is outrageous and the quality isn't the best.

Miranda

My classmates seem more into getting through college than actually experiencing it.

We have alot of students who are either very pro partying or very against it.

Miranda, As a college student I have come to realize one huge mistake. Do not take for granted that which was given to you. In high school you worked so hard! In college it is so easy to become distracted from your main goal-to become a succesful person in life. Even if you do not find the same type of great friends in high school, don't loose faith. Get more involved with campus activities. Don't party too much either, it leads no where. There is a difference between fun and too much. I can only say this, you are more intellegent than the grades you will receive, and you worked to hard to get the money to go to school to loose all of it. So put your chin up and remember the potential you have and what you have to offer this world. Don't let any circumstance deter you from finding out who you really are and moving forward to becoming a great and succesful adult. Love yourself and always remember to put your well being first. Love always, Miranda

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.