Lowell, MA
University of Massachusetts-Lowell

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Massachusetts-Lowell

Maeve

Loud, sometimes unruly, uninterested.

Loud, sometimes unruly, uninterested.

I would tell myself to look at colleges earlier, and take harder classes to be prepared for the intense workload. I would also encourage myself to enter more math classes.

A person who does not like sports and probably a person who is more into refined things.

Sam

Honestly, the tutition rate. Unlike many of the private institutions that I applied to, this state university's tutition rate is not hiked up like the others. In fact, I managed to pay off my bills and loans, though I did have incredible help from my family. While it does somewhat pain me to only talk about money as a determining factor to which school to go to, after seeing how precious and difficult it can be get yourself out of a loan, I can now understand why this factor is something to consider when choosing a school.

Commuting sucks. You're going to have to drive on I-95 back and forth, stuck in traffic, constant construction, and putting up with angry drivers--yes, even if you follow the rules of the road. Also, you're going to get into one incident of road rage; don't lose your cool. Just suck it up, get out of the way, don't make eye contact, and don't make any gestures, okay? Make sure not to skimp on your studies in the first year. This isn't high school anymore, pal. I know that senior year and senior slide was a fun thing to do, but now you're no longer forgiven for doing stuff like that. In fact, do not skimp on ANY of your classes throughout college. Focus on your studies, very carefully. Seriously, man, you're going to bomb your grades if you do stuff like that. On the bright side, you won't have to put up the bullies anymore, so there's that! Most of them ended up in prison, or are dead. But most importantly, enjoy this while it lasts, because once it's gone, it's over, and adulthood sucks.

Without any doubt, the amount of majors and minors that are offered at the school. If there was any major or minor that you wanted to do but couldn't because your school or state or country didn't offer it, then UMass Lowell would be the school to go to. The academics here are exceptional, and many people are surprised how organized and cohesive the classes and lectures are, and that includes research and laboratory experience. And the best part is that the school is getting bigger and better each day.

Anne

I started college thinking I could take on the world. A noble enough goal, right? Club pamphlets filled my dorm room while my schedule was filled with try-outs and meet-and-greets. I was running from club to club, seeing what there was to offer. And I did get a taste of all the things I had ever thought about trying, and then some. My one fatal flaw was trying to keep up with all of it. ACLU, soccer, basketball, news-letter, and a host of other clubs, the names of which, now I can’t even remember. While it was great to see everything and get a feel for the college atmosphere, I didn’t take advantage of one of the coolest aspects of college. The ability to choose. For the first time, I had no curfew or mandatory classes. Heck, there wasn’t even the requirement to show up. I responded to this newfound freedom by saying “yes” to everything. But it was really an opportunity to pursue what was most important to me. So do yourself a favor and check out everything, but commit only to the things that matter.

You should attend this school if you're looking for a solid education, specifically in one of the hard sciences. It is an especially good value for in-state residence.

Krista

My classmates are always willing to help one another and I have yet to find someone in class that I dont feel comfortable being around.

University of Massachusetts at Lowell has some of the best professors due to their experiences and they are all willing to work extra to make sure their students have the best learning experiece they can have.

The advise that I would give myself is that it is okay to not know exactly what I want to study. However, as a high school senior you have to make sure that you really think about where to go to school and not just decide on a whim or because you want to "get away". It is a serious decision and it can change your life. It needs to really be thought about and everything needs to be considered. College is very expensive and if I could go back, I would make sure I took my family's advice and gone straight to a community college first and then transfered to a four year school instead of doing to opposite. A decision like this will change your life for better or worse; it is your decision as to which you would rather.

amanda

I’ve recently graduated with a bachelor’s degree, and there are so many things I wish I’d tried. If I could advise my high school self of anything, it would be to try everything. As a commuter, I went to class and went home. I had no college experience. One of my biggest hang-ups was coming out of my shell! Be yourself, a cliché, but true. I was too anxious about joining this or that club, or attending events, and I lost out on networking and making lifelong friendships. In college, you can really find people who share your interests and passions. My high school friendships fizzled, and I never made college friends. I don’t feel like I have things in common with the people I do still hang around with. You don’t realize how much you are going to grow in those years. I struggled to find a career after college because I avoided those chances to network and get advice from professors. They are a great resource! I’d write that on my former self’s hand so I’d never hesitate to approach a professor.

The professors are the best thing at UMass. They are very friendly and helpful, and they are experts in their fields.

I don't like the way money is spent spiffing up campus to attract new students. That's our money we are paying, it should go towards us.

Naomi

My school is best known for it's hockey team, and it's high demand majors. High demand majors being nursing, mathematics, sciences, and engineering.

During my first semester I wished all the time that I could go back and give myself advice. The most important advice I would give myself is to develop good study habits and become an expert at time management. The most difficult transition is being responsible for yourself. In high school teachers chase you down and make sure you do your work. In college, you're paying for your own education. The teachers are there to teach and it's your responsibility to go to class and turn everything in on time because they will fail you without so much as blinking. I would tell myself to be aware of all deadlines and to manage my time well.

I don't think there is a "kind" of person who shouldn't attend this school. The programs are very diverse and there is a club for just about everyone. They also have fantastic varsity sports as well as club sports.

Rebecca

Stay in school, even if you change your major! You will eventually figure it out. And if you don't right away, stick with it. Take classes anyway, especially if you receive a scholarship for them. Take general classes in order to keep credits high and transferrable to a program you eventually know you'll complete. Get it done before you are 25! Going back to school at 33 for a career change is not the most ideal situation. Get A career figured out by the time you're 25.....if you decide to change your mind later on in life and are able to afford going back to school and the time is right, then go for it. Do your research to pick a career. What interests you? Are you looking to make a lot of money, or do something you love, or both? This is one of the most important questions you should answer, then look at the choices you have.

Christina

Upper classmen are very willing to help under classmen. They are very welcoming and willing to share their knowledge about professors and classes. Don't be afraid to ask them for help, because that is where you will get some of the best, first-hand advice.

The first thing I would tell myself is apply for as many scholarships as you can. You cannot rely on financial aid to pay for your school. you need to work hard and save as much money as you can. Don't be afraid to take on a full-time job during the summer, there will still be plenty of time to have fun. The second thing I would tell myself is don't settle for a school just because it is the least expensive. There are other ways to pay for college. Shoot for your dream school and don't be afraid to try something new. Be willing to stay at school and dorm, don't be hesitant, and don't shy away from out of state schools because you'll end up falling in love with one and regretting your decision to settle for a school that wasn't part of your dream.

The best thing about Umass Lowell is the cost. It is a very affordable school, especially for a student paying for their own tuition. There is a great sense of community at this school and the teachers I have met so far are very willing to help you succeed.

If you do not like to be away from home for long periods of time, picking a school that is close to it is very important. College should be a time you enjoy, not a time you dread. Being able to go home will make the experience enjoyable for you. Also, if you know you will have to go back to school for another degree, the price of your undergraduate career should be taken into consideration. You don't want to be in debt once you're out of school.

Anyone can attend this school. It is very diverse in the types of people that go there. It feels like a big city atmosphere. Anyone can fit in. there are so many clubs and activities for everyone.

Making my schedule. It was difficult sometimes to pick the classes I wanted at good times with proffesors I liked.

priscilla
Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

A day on campus that I will never forget has to be the Mr. UML pageant. It's a mock beauty pageant for boys who compete for the crown. For the talent competition, some were serious and sang a song or recited a poem. Others were funny and danced. The questions were funny and resulted in rap battles and voting on the best pick up line. Also, during the intermission, they had a raffle and my friend won a flat screen TV.

The academics at my school are great. Most of my classes were small enough that the professor knew my name and I could feel at ease asking for help. I had a few classes however, that were lecture style. It was still easy to contact the professor and drop in during office hours, but it was also a great chance to meet new people and form study groups. My favorite class was my General Psychology course. The professor was engaging, funny and more than willing to go the extra mile if I needed help. My least favorite class would be my History course because lectures are hard for me to follow. Students study all the time. Personally, I have studied during a lunch break, on the bus, at work, etc. I feel like in class participation is strong. In high school, you would get called on even if you maybe did not know the answer. In college, you are free to speak and feel more confident. I feel that students are very competitive with themselves. I hear a lot of "Next semester, I want to raise my GPA." or "I think I will retake that quiz.". There is some healthy competition as well, but I have yet to see a student turn down another student for help. I am an English major and I really like ,my department. I have a lot of choices for courses and can always count on someone if I need help in which direction to go. They host many fun free events, seminars and movie nights too. I feel that UMASS Lowell wants me to succeed and reach my dreams. However, I feel like they also want me to learn new things that have nothing to do with my major. I am encouraged to take Art History, purely for the art. I am being guided towards a great career as well as great knowledge and experience.

Coming from a place where Hispanic roots ruled, UMASS Lowell has more diversity than I ever imagined. The clubs range from video games to bible study to straight-gay alliance. I have attended multiple events, even if the subject did not relate directly to me, and have always had a blast. In my opinion, no one would feel out of place in UMASS Lowell. It is so easy to make friends. All you have to do is smile. Personally, my friends consist of Hispanics, an Irish, Asians, and African Americans. When we get together, we like to talk about our upbringings and compare our cultural experiences.

When I tell someone that I attend UMASS Lowell, the reaction is always the same. Oh. For some reason, everyone seems to think that UMASS Lowell students are slackers that ended up here because they had no where else to go. Typically, UMASS Lowell students are thought to be party animals, stoners, slackers, etc. Going into UMASS, I also thought some of these things. Boy, was I wrong. Of course there are parties (it's college!), but truth be told, I see a lot more studying and tutoring than anything else. It feels like everywhere I go is a great homework environment. So yes, UMASS Lowell can be considered a fun party school. But be warned, if you think we party hard, we study harder.

University of Massachusetts-Lowell administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.