Lowell, MA
University of Massachusetts-Lowell

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Massachusetts-Lowell

Samuel

The advice I would give to myself is to delvelop a planner. College in most cases is not that difficult if manage your time well. There are many things you can do in college such as clubs, parties etcs. Without time management I would have been caught up wtih all these activities and would get any of my work and studies done.

Those who are looking for a better future in thier repective career especially those who want to majoring in enginner or some type of scienece mathemcatics.

Those who are looking to party and hope to get easy work from proffesors because you'll end up failing off.

Nikki

My overall opinion of UMASS Lowell is that it is a great school. The professors are very helpful and most classes have a great student to teacher ratio. There's a wide range of classes so whatever you're interested in, you'll most likely find a course about it. The campus is very nice, there's a lot of places to study, eat, and do homework. The size of the school is perfect. Both campuses where classes are located, North and South, are not too big and not too small. They are also very close to each other which it makes it convenient to drive, take a shuttle or a bus. When I tell people I go to this school they say that this school has made so much progress through the years and it is now a very great school to go to. I spend most of my time in the library which is filled with many computers so I can work on my homework or projects. Students take pride in UMASS Lowell and they show this pride by supporting our hockey team, all other teams, and by wearing clothes that have the University name. Overall, this school has a very nice campus, atmosphere, great professors, and a lot of activities always going on to keep a student occupied and make them feel like an asset to the UMASS Lowell community.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Off campus there are many things to do. There's a movie theatre in Lowell, numerous restaurants, the river that you can sit by, and of course, it's only 20 minutes from Boston! The Burlington Mall is about 15 minutes away as well. Stepping off campus, there are many places to go and things to do. Also, Lowell Center is a few minutes down the road, here you'll find various shops, stores, and places to eat.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The food on campus is great. Theres multiple dining halls on each campus. There's also ones open late-night so when you're out with your friends and come in late on the weekends, you can still get a bite to eat. We have a Subway and Starbucks on South Campus, among many other food options. Additionally, the good thing about UMASS Lowell is that there are so many things around it. There's an abundance of restaurants and other dining options around the campus. For examples, Suppas on North Campus is where everyone goes on the weekends because they have great pizza! Theres also a Dunks across the street from North Campus. The options are endless!!

We have two small different campusus. East for dorming, north which is mostly for engineer majors (among other classes), and south for all other classes. Each campus is great, we have two books stores and many different places to dine including Subway, Starbucks, and various dining halls. It's easy to get around from campus to campus.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I wanted to stay close to home and this was cheaper than every school located near me. The campus was nice, and I knew I would be getting a great education for a lower price than most schoools.

There are so many clubs and activities at UMASS Lowell. Anything from dance, to lacrosse, to rugby, to ultimate frisbee, you name it and we have it. There are an abundance of clubs including Art History Club, BIology Club, French Club, and so many others. There's a club for everyone. I'm getting involved with the school newspaper group so I can take part in writing about what's going on at the University. I lived on campus my Freshman year and everyone on my floor became good friends. We would all hangout and help each other with school work. We have many guest speakers and event that take place on campus. We recently had Billy Joel as a guest speaker! There's always something to do and theh Recreation Center is filled with activities. There are pool tables, ping-pong tables, and tables to just hangout. Off campus there are restaurants, a movie theatre, and many places to shop. Boston is only twenty minutes away!

There are many different types of student at UMASS Lowell. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at this University because there are students from all over the world with all different styles. Most students wear casual clothes to class, like jeans or sweatpants. However, there are some who dress quite nice for class, it really varies depending on age and courses they're taking. People from different backgrounds, with different religions, from different social classes go to this school. There are so many unique students and I see a vast array of students while on campus.

Stacie

The best thing about UMass Lowell is the wide arrange of extra curricular activities you can get involved with. There's many different type of clubs, intermural sports, and sport teams. There's something for everyone to get involved in. If you're looking for a particular type of club or sport, chances are you'll be able to find it. If I could change one thing about this school it would be the separate campuses. Sometimes it's a hassle to get from campus to campus. UMass Lowell is the perfect size school. It's not too small, but it's also not too big. There's enough people here for you to meet a wide arrange of people. It's also small enough that you become comfortable with the people around you. You get to know the faces around campus. When I tell people I go to school here people are usually surprised because I'm from Ohio. Most people are shocked when I tell them that I go to an out of state school so far from home. I spend most of my time on campus at the ICC, which is where I live. It's downtown so it's separated from the rest of the campus. It has its own dining hall so I don't have to leave unless it's to go to class. All my friends live there so we spend a lot of time hanging out or doing homework in each other's rooms. Lowell is becoming more of a college town, especially with the expansion of the school. Recently more buildings have been built and the school has been growing. Since the ICC is located downtown now, you see a lot more students outside of campus. Downtown has a good nightlife for college students with clubs, bars, cheap restaurants, coffee shops, and shopping. UMass Lowell has a good administration. They're fair and they make sure to accommodate all of the students that go here to the best of their ability. Since I've been attending UMass Lowell there hasn't been any controversial issues arise. The students at UMass Lowell have a lot of school pride. Hockey games are popular to go to on the weekends and students get pretty into them. You also see a lot of students walking around campus wearing the school's apparel. The one thing I will always remember about UMass Lowell is my experience being on the rowing team. There's nothing more unique than waking up at 4:45 in the morning as a college student to row on the Merrimack Rover and watch the sunrise. The most frequent complaint I hear students making is about the shuttle system. Sometimes the shuttles aren't on time which can cause you to be late to your classes.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I used to live in Massachusetts and after I moved to Ohio I knew I'd go back for college. I found UMass Lowell because I originally wanted to go to school for music business. I did a college visit over my spring break senior year of high school and decided that UMass Lowell was where I wanted to go to school.

There are many different types of groups on campus for people to get involved in and there's a place for everyone. The campus is so diverse I can't really see anyone feeling out of place. Everyone seems to find their own little place on campus where they fit in. The campus has its cliques. You don't really see different types of people hanging out with each other. The music students tend to stick with the music students and the engineering students tend to stick with the engineering students. Most of the time this happens simply due to similar interests. At class most students wear comfortable clothes. You see a lot of people in sweatpants and t-shirts. Some girls also wear dresses and some guys wear dress pants. For the most part though students wear the typical t-shirt and jeans ensemble. Most of the students at UMass Lowell are from Massachusetts or New Hampshire. There's a wide range of financial backgrounds that students come from. I hear about some students struggling to pay for college, while others are wealthy and have no problem with it.

In classes the professors usually know your name unless it's in a big lecture hall. Most of the classes are on the smaller side though and as long as you participate the professor will know who you are. My favorite class at UMass Lowell so far has been my exercise and sports psychology class. The professor was funny and he made the class interesting. It's important to pick electives that seem interesting to you, otherwise the class may end up being boring. The students at UMass Lowell study a fair amount. I usually spend at least two hours outside of class every day working on homework and studying. However, it depends on where you are in the semester. The work load is lighter and heavier at different points throughout the semester. I hear many students talking about their academics outside of the classroom. Students tend to be interested in what they're learning so a lot of times you'll hear them having intellectual conversations about their courses of study. UMass Lowell has very fair academic requirements that aren't difficult to meet. Each department is a little bit different with their requirements, however. Sometimes you hear about students getting kicked out of their department for poor grades, but in the end those students generally realize that they were in the wrong course of study. UMass Lowell is very good at preparing you for a job after college. In many of my classes we have discussed ways to get a job and have been given tips on resume building. There are many internships the campus offers to help you get your foot in the door to your chosen path. You can go to career services to find help in finding a job as well.

There's a wide variety of students at UMass Lowell ranging from "hipsters" to "geeks." I've found that you find different types of people in certain classes. For example, the music department contains students who play instruments that could fall into the "hipster" or "punk" category. The nursing or physical therapy department has students that fall under the "jock" category. If you're in an engineering class, those students tend to fall under the "geek" category.

Alexander

I think that the school is wonderful. The professors I have had, for the most part, are very passionate about their jobs and about shaping and edifying the minds of their students. All of the professors I have had in my department have been more that willing to make time for me and work with me on any issue I have had. I feel that the campus is nice and getting nicer -- it is clear that a lot of money and work is being put into the school so that we have the technology and facilities that are in par with some of the better private schools in the state. I think the city of Lowell in general is relatively charming and that it is easy to get from place to place; campus transit is a very useful resource as well. So far I have had no issues with administration or the ISIS system. I have been able to get the answers I need and create my schedule painlessly. I appreciate the willingness of the staff and most work-study students to go above and beyond to help me with anything I am having an issue with.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There is a dining hall on each campus. The food services are provided by ARAMARK. The food is decent. But from what I can tell it's the same thing always, not a lot of variety. There are some other options. Starbucks on South Campus, Sal's Pizza and Taco Bell on East. Plenty of restaurants near campus. Indian, Thai, Laotian, Cambodian, Middle Eastern, Pub Food, Wings, Pizza, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Mexican, etc. A great deal of diversity in Lowell, pretty much anything you want to eat you can find. Suppa's on North Campus tends to be a huge late night hang out (Pizza, Subs, etc.) -- they are open until 3am thur-sat, or something close to that.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The quiet study areas of either library are usually where I go to actually get work done. There are not-so-quiet areas of the library as well for group and combination work/socializing. The libraries are both newly renovated and have many great features -- large screen TVs to work on presentations, plenty of computers, comfortable study areas, etc. Every UMass building/campus has wifi available.

What are your classes like?

Most of my classes are small. As an English major the class sizes are in general under 20 and there is usually a good amount of opportunity to participate in discussion; my professors encourage discussion. Some teachers assign more writing assignments than others but I've never felt like it was too much. If you enjoy learning you will learn a lot in your classes.

Tell us about your professors.

My professors thus far have been approachable and cooperative. Assuming that you are willing to do the work, the professors are more than willing to help you succeed.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

From everything I had heard it is one of the better MA state schools. So far UMass Lowell has proved to be an excellent institution.

I don't see the groups on campus as being discerned by their 'popularity'. Students congregate and get involved with campus activities based on their interests. There are many groups to get involved with on campus. Sports, theatre, journalism, gaming, etc. There is something for everyone for the most part. I don't know anything about the dorms; I live off campus. There is plenty to do around town and on campus. The school hosts a number of functions ranging from guest speakers to social events. If you are over 21 chances are you go to the bars in town often. There are a few very popular ones. But plenty of good food and quieter places as well. The cuisine around town is very diverse. The Laotian and Cambodian food is my favorite. The dating scene is pretty standard I believe. Last weekend I went on a date with a girl from the university. It was our second date. We went to the one-act plays at Mahoney and then out for dinner and drinks. It was a nice way to spend a Friday evening. I meet people on campus regularly that seem interesting and usually go to school hosted events or out to dinner. I have a number of close friends that also attend the university and we spend much time together. I feel I can legitimately rely on them. I personally do not drink but still go out to the bars some times just to see friends. There are a number of places around that host karaoke, have billiards, there is a bowling place in town, good restaurants, concerts/shows, art installations, poetry readings/open mic nights. Plenty to do for non-drinkers. (Also a very strong AA community from what I hear)

The students seem to be very diverse. We do live in Massachusetts after all and as a liberal state I get the impression that concerted efforts are taken to diversify the population of the student body. This does not greatly affect the overall quality of the students -- from what I can tell good and bad students come in all forms. The students from minority backgrounds tend to hang out together but still mix with the other students significantly. There does not seem to be much in the way of racial conflict or meanness of spirit here towards kids that are 'different' from themselves. Everyone tends to be very friendly towards one another. The attire of students is less based on ethnicity as it is based on the fads of the day. Colorful Nikes and pants that hang down are 'cool'. Few students dress up for a day in class. I myself dress casually in jeans and a tshirt or sweatshirt usually. I feel that most kids at the school have liberal sensibilities. Again, welcome to Massachusetts.

I am an English major and it would seem that most of the class sizes are small -- mine are all under 20. My professors know my name -- which isn't surprising because I am extremely verbose in class -- and seem to know everyone else as well. Class participation is relatively good. probably about 25% of the students participate heavily. The content of the conversation is usually strong and I would consider it to be of good quality. Outside of class conversation often seems to be of a more social nature than intellectual, but that pertains to the students I communicate with from my classes. Those students that I have forged lasting friendships with, though they may not be English majors, are the people I am able to speak with on an intellectual level. The English department is wonderful and I am getting to know my teachers a lot. I work with one of my professors for work-study so I tend to communicate with her a great deal outside of class. The academic expectations are reasonable. You are able to get a good grade by doing good work but the professors encourage you to go above and beyond for your own self edification. My teachers see the effort I put in to my studies and are encouraging of my plans to apply for graduate schools next year.

I do not necessarily see groups of kids that all fit into one stereotype hanging out together on campus. There is always the occasional student that seems like a jock or a geek. The ones that seem to be very much into fitness I assume to be exercise physiology majors and I also tend to be judgmental of them, thinking that they are probably not that smart. In this I have been proved wrong more than once. My conception of stereotypes based on visual cues is still reminiscent of high school. However once I actually start talking to people my preemptive biases are usually found to be inaccurate.

Zachary

I feel UML is a great school and perfect for myself. I very much enjoyed the classes and the people I have met my 5 semesters here. People always assume Umass Lowell is a 'dump' of a school in a crappy city, but I have found that if you look, you can find quite a lot of beauty within the once industrious town. I feel the size of the school is great, (around 14,000 students), but I dislike the separation of campuses. I realize the difficulty in having a university within a city, but traveling distances between classes and resident halls can be cumbersome. Perhaps a revamping of the school's transportation could help with this issue. Lowell is slowly becoming more and more of a college town. UML is slowly buying up properties expanding and improving the school which is great to see. I strongly like the school and respect all those who attend and are currently employed there.

What are your classes like?

Classes at UML are becoming better and better every year. Currently, UML is trying to limit class sizes in order to better help students understand the material and be able to have a more one-on-one experience. Class difficulty can vary quite a bit depending on choice of major. UML is known for their exceptional engineering college, but with top quality education comes hard work. Personally, I find my business courses to be the perfect level of difficulty, while I can still maintain an active social life. Professors tend to be very nice and helpful throughout campus. The only classes I would try and avoid are big 200 student lecture halls. These classes are slow and it is difficult to learn the material, but like I said, UML is slowly phasing out this set up.

Lowell is full of different student groups. Sports are pretty important at UML. We are certainly known for our hockey and going to games is a big event, free for students. Other popular groups include science and engineering clubs as well as various music and art related clubs. I really like the FYRE group. That stands for First Year Resident Educator. This group of upperclassmen help incoming freshmen adapt to dorm life as well has get them involved in various activities around campus. This is critically important for freshmen, because freshman year really decides how your college career will play out. If you make friends and are social, you will do great. That is certainly true at UML. My freshman year, all my friends lived in my dorm and we always had our doors open to company. There is plenty to do around campus and in the city of Lowell. They have beautiful public parks and riverwalks, as well as late night food vendors and and stores to browse through. It's not hard to get involved socially in college and UML is certainly a great university to experience.

The students at UML are so vastly different that it is difficult to describe them as a whole. I've met very religious people, I've met atheists. I've met engineers in suits and ties with crewcuts and I've met music majors with facial piercings, pink hair and tattered clothing. I believe it would be difficult to not find someone who is interested in what you are interested in. The majority of students seem to come from neighboring towns and cities less than an hour and a half away. I myself, am from Beverly, which is about 45 minutes from Lowell. There is a plethora of clubs, groups, and teams to join on campus. Whether you are a hockey jock or a computer geek, you'll find a group of students with a club perfect for you.

A huge difference between college and high school for me is the amount of information I am taking from the courses. I feel that I am actually learning important life facts that will seriously help me succeed in the business world. As a business management major, I take various accounting and professional-style classes. I find these to be extremely informative and helpful, and material I cover in one course can transfer over to another very easily. The professor-student relationship greatly relies on the professor's teaching style. A more animated professor tends to be more personal with the students and will know their names, where a strictly lecturing professor will not even bother to learn a single student's name. This goes for class participation as well. I am a student that strives to participate AT LEAST once per class. Most of the time I am a huge contributer to class discussion while the majority of the class sits in silence. I've never understood it. Participation helps learning and the class moves faster. I believe the academics at UML are superb, and I truly feel as though I will use this information in the future.

The stereotype at UML is that it is full of guys, more specifically "bros." Bros are athletic guys that have high egos and little respect for others. I feel the stereotype is all wrong. Although the male to female ratio is tipped slightly towards males, there are a fair amount of females attending the university. Also, the males at UML are not all bros. There are many at UML, but there are far more dedicated students that respect others and the school.

Ahmad

The best thing I learned from UMass Lowell is how to network. I am in interaction with a diverse group of people. I learn from everybody. I am very involved on campus. I am vice-president of the Association of Students of African Origin. We do various events on campus like poetry nights, cultural nights, and panel discussions that talk about various topics that relate to young people today. The administration is trying their best to turn UMass Lowell into a world-class university. I like what they are doing. There is going to be more housing on campus, new facilities, and more events in general to do on campus. UMass Lowell is definitely going in the right direction.

The academics are very diverse on this campus. People think of UMass Lowell as an engineering school. Even though UMass Lowell does have one of the top engineering programs in the country, there are more majors on campus. South Campus has a successful Nursing Program. The Political Science Department always go on UN trips around the world.. The English Department is very visible on campus. UMass Lowell also have an emerging Criminal Justice department.

The biggest stereotype is that UMass Lowell is a commuter school. Yes, it is true, but there is a strong resident population also on campus.

Jordan

UMass Lowell can be compared to our current parking situation. Some days you get that perfect spot right in front of the door to your first class... and some days you're driving in circles for forty-five minutes; punching your steering wheel and grinding your teeth down to painful pearly nubs. Let's start with the bad. With so many students needing four language classes to graduate, it's a common problem of the classes filling up almost immediately, and stranding students here for an extra semester because they were left in the cold. We need more teachers for foreign languages, and we need a stronger tutoring center for said program. Oddly enough, I had more trouble with my Spanish class than my senior thesis. To tie in my little parking analogy with UMass, you only need to ask a North campus student about their parking ordeals. Many students are forced to miss some of their first class because there are simply not enough spots. This frustration is compounded because we have to pay for the parking privilege too. Luckily, the school is building a new parking garage, so that problem has been noticed, and dealt with by the school. Those are the most frequent complaints I've heard, but parking is parking in any college. Now that the glass is half empty, I want to show you that not all is bad with UMass Lowell. Far from it, actually. When I tell curious folk about where I go to school I am always met with a nod, and an approved sound from them. UMass Lowell is such an iconic school for anyone who grew up North of Boston, and almost everyone I have talked college with in my past three years have all had some tie in with the university, be it family, friend, or their own life there. The school is located near a bustling downtown area, full of bars, beautiful water front walking tracks, and A GREAT MUSIC SCENE. "See, I told you the music scene was a big deal in Lowell." The school recently bought the Tsongas arena, which hosts world famous musical acts and sporting events. These aren't small fish shows either. We just had Judas Priest play their farewell concert right here on Campus. Tell some student living out in the woods that and watch the jealousy spread over them. Students are constantly emailed about upcoming shows and events in and around Lowell, many times given discounted prices and VIP opportunities to boot. Being a student in Lowell definitely isn't boring. If you are new to the area, or are just a bit unsure of where to go, just ask anyone around campus. Everyone is quick with a suggestion here, as we all know the best spots for a strong, "cheap" beer, or where to get the best Mexican food in Lowell.

What are your classes like?

Diverse. I go to Spanish 4, then to my Civil War class. After lunch, I dive back into my gritty cop drama I am writing for my creative writing class. It's a crazy mix up of all different types of classes, which help you exercise different parts of your mind.

Guests of UMass Lowell? We just had Billy Joel do a question and answer session for us right on campus. If that's not enough for you, then head over to the Tsongas arena for our minor league hokey team's home games. Where UMass truly shines though, is in our Baseball. The Lowell Spinner's stadium is beautiful, packed, and hard to stay away from. Right on the Merrimack river, the Spinners put on a great show for all of us here at Lowell every night. We may not have the massive football spirit like Michigan, but the Lowell Loch Monsters and Spinners give us plenty to cheer for here. Back to the educational side of things, I'd have to say our affiliation with SIgma Tau Delta is one of highest regarded aspects of the English department. We have all kinds of clubs here, though. The student hall is almost permanently smelling of fresh baked French baked goods from the French club's almost constant bake sales. Into Anime? Video games? We got you covered here. I thought I was alone with my love for geek culture until I came here. Soon I met girls who knew more about Star Wars and comic books than I did, and that's saying a lot. If you're a thespian, or a lover of stage, UMass won't disappoint you there. We have a fantastic drama group here who put on thrilling plays every year, many of which sell out multiple nights. Nobody parties like the guys portraying Shakespeare characters, let me tell you. Speaking of, Lowell is one of those rare cases where people do like to drink and party, but it isn't a main aspect of anyone's lives. Sure there are frats with beer pong tables covered with pizza boxes and crushed cans, but that doesn't infiltrate into the school like it does in other parts of the state. Students have their fun, but it's usually at a bar, or a concert downtown. The campus I studied on was peaceful year round, and around the clock. I could sit outside the main dorm and read poetry near the bending river without hearing a sound. Come here for the atmosphere and to relax, but don't expect to find the next Animal House.

Students at UMass Lowell are all about comfort and relaxation. Sweatpants and sweatshirts mixed with comfy Ugz boots are as common on campus as ball point pens. In my opinion, this leads to a happier environment. "How could you not be in a good mood wearing so much soft, warm clothing?" Students are all in high spirits here, save for the obvious dark times that are finals. The dining hall is a buffet of every type of student. Thin computer savy types with long hair and baggy jeans sit inches from the UMass Lowell baseball players that have shoulders larger than my Buick. But this isn't high school, and that jock nerd stereotype nonsense is a thing reserved for cheesy 80's movies. I've been asked to sit with a group of students just because they liked my band T shirt. Another time, I was playing a portable video game system after my meal and was handed a vivid flyer for a video game night on our campus. By the way, guess who was there. Some of those same football players I mentioned earlier. The student community here at Lowell is one of the best I've ever seen, and compared to some of the horror stories I've heard about other colleges, I consider myself lucky. I truly can't think of anyone who wouldn't be welcomed here. Like I said before, we have punks, geeks, rich girls who look like they got off the last plane from Jersey, quiet foreign students from every corner of the world, and the normal everyday Lowell guys who just want to suck down a Dunkin Donut's coffee and hammer out that Civil War final so they can go to their day job.

When a professor takes time out of his schedule to come meet you for a personal one on one.... in the middle of summer... then you know you've found a good school. So was the case with me this past June. I can easily say the teachers here are the best, most honest people in education I have ever studied under. Andre Dubus III may be an Oprah book club winner, but that doesn't stop him from ripping apart his creative writing student's drafts and helping them morph their "babies" into amazing works of art. Learning how to create a deep character driven plot from a man who obviously has that down to a science was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, and it had propelled me towards publishing a book of my own now. I mainly took English classes at UMass Lowell, and I can admit that I had a wide range of emotions and difficulties with them. Some were easy and fun to sit through, while others were very challenging and scary. "I'm looking at you, British literature II." The silver lining in that? The tough classes allowed me to retain so much knowledge that it still boggles my brain thinking about how much I actually learned in four short months. it was common for many students to form study groups and rush to the library right after class to work on the next assignment. I was recommended by two of my teachers to help tutor some students for an upcoming test. Not to toot my horn, but I agreed without hesitation, partly because of my love for the material, and partly because helping my fellow students was just something I wanted to do. Going back to my negative side, I will bring up the language requirements of any public college's bachelor programs. Taking a language class on top of your other core classes is a heavy load, especially when you've never had any experience with the language learning process. Students will grumble about unfair practices and large work requirements, but simply making time to study makes all the difference. I just wish the language department, which is considerably smaller than other departments, could get more teachers, and more tutors.

UMass Lowell is quite a melting pot of all sorts of different breeds of "stereotypes". Music is a big deal here, and the students on campus reflect this. Long haired metal heads are in line at Subway, right behind the punk rocker with a two foot tall pink mohawk, who happens to be in front of the classically trained piano player. If you like music, you'll love UMass Lowell's diverse student body. Tolkien would be proud of the amount of geeks we have at UMass Lowell. Most literature students are deeply drawn to amazing works of fiction and fantasy. Students can be seen going over old prose in our courtyard, and a good sized group of role players will be going over dungeon ideas in the student lounge. Pair that with the vast amount of computer game enthusiasts and programming students, on campus and you have a geek paradise. I've never seen so many students talking about what Warcraft raid they were planning to tackle after class that day. The best part is, anyone here can be a geek!

Cassandra

When I tell people that I go to Umass Lowell, the reactions are mixed. There is the half that tells me what a great school it is and I should expect a job right after graduating. Then there is the half who gives me a look like I just spit on their food. They make assumptions, usually false, about what a bad city Lowell is, and how they could never go there for fear of being attacked walking to class. These people are naive and have probably never stepped foot in Lowell. Umass Lowell is extremely safe. It is true that there are areas of the city that are rough, but that is true of most cities. The campus is spread out along the river, you need to take a bus to get around. There is a lot of new construction that is going to be beautiful when completed. The school just recently bought the Tsongas Arena which brings a lot of school spirit to the events there, especially the hockey games. There is a lot of school spread through most of Lowell. The classrooms are modern and the dorm rooms are average. The school is constantly updating and rebuilding to make it more efficient. The administration is putting a lot of money into the school to make it better for the students who go there without affecting the cost of attendance too much. I personally like the school. I spend the majority of my time in the brand new south campus library. It is one of the most modern libraries I have ever stepped foot it. They did a great job renovating. Overall I do not think that people give UMass Lowell enough credit. It is an expanding school with a lot of diverse people it is a great place to go to school.

The most popular event on campus hands down, the hockey games. The hockey team is unbelievably good. Whether people like hockey or not they are at the games supporting the team. People are very outgoing on campus. Everyone leaves their doors open to talk to other people in the dorm. There are also a lot of musical events put on by the school that are popular. Tickets sell out fast. Partying is a common thing on the weekends, as with any college. There are some strict consequences for partying underage but it still happens. Fraternities and Sororities are not a huge thing at the school. There are a few but they are not the big thing to do. There are a lot of campus activities that you can do that do not involve drinking. There is always something going on. This is not a school that you go to to party every day. There are tons of things to do in the city as well. There is a diverse selection of food around the campus. A lot of the students go out to eat a lot. I am involved in an AmeriCorps program Jumpstart that reads to preschool children to get them prepared for kindergarten. There are a lot of rewarding opportunities available to students.

UMass Lowell might be one of the diverse schools out there. I think there are groups for everything ranging from political groups, to LGBT groups. Everyone at this school is accepted and respected. It is impossible to feel out of place, there is someone for everyone here. A lot of the students are from Lowell or surrounding cities. There are students of every race, religion, sexual orientation, finical background and ethnicity. There are some students who are extremely motivated for the future and some who are not. There are students who are very religious and some who are not at all. No matter what one's beliefs are they will be respected. People of all backgrounds associate with each other. It is very rare for one to feel bullied or picked on because of their beliefs. The school is very diverse and it is a great place to experience other cultures.

Depending on your major your class experience may be different than other students. As a science major I was in giant lecture halls with 300 other kids. The professors did not know if you came to class or not, and more or less did not care. The beginning science classes were meant to weed kids out. Once they weened out the kids who were not cut for the sciences class sizes became a lot smaller. As an English major now class sizes usually do not exceed twenty kids and the professors take the time to get to know you. A lot of my professors have you call them by their first name. They are very approachable and are able to help in any way possible, whether by email, phone, or in person, the majority of professors make themselves available to help. The professors in all areas of study try their best to gear their courses to real life. The school is very geared towards jobs or graduate programs. The professors do an excellent job of preparing students for the real world. College is what you put into it. If you want to learn, make the Dean's List, and get to know your professors then you will. You have to put in the effort in to get anything out. That goes for any school. A professor is not going to hand you an A and the school is not going to hand you a diploma. The resources are available it is up to the student to use them to their advantage.

Every school has stereotypes, UMass Lowell included. Some of the stereotypes are that the South Campus Majors are stupid and the North Campus Majors are smart loners who spend all day in labs. Although the majority of the engineering and science majors are on North Campus it does not mean that all the smart people hide in the North Campus libraries and all the lazy students hang out in the Starbucks on South Campus. Both campuses offer difficult and challenging courses depending on your major. Other common stereotypes at UMass Lowell include, any girl that goes to hockey games is trying to sleep with the hockey team, not true. All frat kids are a part of honors classes, not true. The majority of frat houses at UMass Lowell are exactly like the frat houses portrayed in movies, kegs, loud music, and girls.

Alexander
Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

First things first, UMass-Lowell does not have a football team--peculiar, huh? However we do have a fantastic hockey team. We are almost always ranked and the games are a blast to attend. We also have a fantastic baseball team that plays their home games at Lelacheur Park (the Lowell Spinners stadium--minor league affiliate of the Boston Red Sox). The girls field hockey team won the championship last year and the boy's soccer is always entertaining to watch. The boy's basketball team also won their divisional championship last year.

What are your classes like?

I'm an English Literature major with a minor in Philosophy/Ethics. The classes are really small which makes the learning environment more hands on. Some classes are held in large auditoriums but they are generally basic education credits. As you progress in your education here at the university, class sizes dwindle and you find yourself more in touch with what's going on. The professors are also very knowledge and very, very accessible. I currently have two professors that I've taken a number of classes with. They remember me (my name, my major, my opinions) which makes me feel more comfortable in the Academia Realm. Although college professors will not ride you like high school teachers, they do want to see you do well which is very reassuring.

I wouldn't say there are prevalent stereotypes that pertain to certain cliques, however, just like any young adult community, people are bound to gravitate toward what interests them most. Athletes will have a tight knit relationship because they are essentially always together; music majors will follow the sound and flock accordingly; fraternity and sorority members will be very interconnected (as a side note, frats and sororities are a wonderful place to meet people as a Freshman, however I'd strongly advise against joining any of them--they are not like how the movies depict, trust me); but after a certain point everyone gets coagulated into the mix. Personally, I have friends on nearly all the sports teams (boy's soccer, hockey, baseball, and basketball along with girl's soccer, field hockey, and volleyball), but I also have friends that are really into music theory, art, literature, engineering, and nursing. UMass-Lowell is nothing like high school--there is no fine line that distinguishes where one stands. The university is a student community, but it's more a family. The people you meet here will be your friends for the rest of your life. That being said, there is one stereotype that I find to be semi-accurate: Umass-Lowell is a commuter university. When I was a Freshman and Sophomore at the university students tended to go home on the weekends. This made things very dull. However, as time passed the university developed more student housing, better student events, and more activities students could participate in. I like to believe that Umass-Lowell is an up-and-coming university. I experienced it's weaker days, but now I'm a part of the stronger days.

Bryan

Engineers and young men and women who could not get into UMASS Amherst. Ultimately no, the stereotype is not true. UMASS Lowell is a great school for anyone interested in the arts or the sciences. Although the food definitely needs improvement.

University of Massachusetts-Lowell administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.