University of North Carolina at Asheville Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of North Carolina at Asheville

Elijah

It is a great environment and I love the school as a whole. It has really given me a sense of involvement in the community and in school in general. The school is great and it allows me to make sure I stay focused on not only my work but making myself a better person.

Miracle

UNCA is a terrific school! The atmosphere is very vibrant, and there is always something to do. We literally have hundreds of clubs/recreational sports and activities. The professors are amazing, classroom sizes are perfect, they are big enough to hold good class discussions with multiple perspectives but small enough to where one can directly interact with the professors. There is a great network of support from the staff and other students, and it's a very easy campus to navigate, once one gets familiar with it. All in all, UNCA is an awesome school, Go Bulldogs!

I have really enjoyed my time at UNC Asheville, and look forward to the rest of my time at the campus. The faculty that I have had experience with have all been helpful and are very interested in student learning. The environment of politics on campus is opinionated, but people are respectful of differing opinions and viewpoints. There are also a lot of ways that students can get involved in campus life and community service activities.

Cynthia

It's a small but scenic campus that is easy to navigate through. The professors are driven to teach and help the students succeed. The students are very active in supporting liberal issues, although sometimes the passion can be rather heated. The food isn't brown mystery meat, but sometimes it's a little too 'fancy', 'trendy' or 'local'. It's a good affordable institution designed for people active in liberal politics.

Kinsey

University of North Carolina at Asheville is considered to be one of the top liberal arts institutions in the United States. While the on-campus food lacks in variety (and sometimes taste), the professors are excellent. They are always willing to provide assistance and are almost always available for a meeting. In my opinion, the academic aspect of UNC Asheville makes up for the outdated housing, expensive surrounding area, and slow wifi. I believe that this university would be a good fit for someone that wants to expand their knowledge beyond the requirements of their specific major and for someone that cares more about the academic experience than the "college experience."

Shaye

UNCA has a great atmosphere. Freshman aren't typically allowed to have there cars on campus but downtown Asheville is just as quick bus ride away. Also, the class sizes are very small, professors know your name, and professors are easy to access outside of the classroom.

Finlay Ray

I have been attending UNCA for a semester and a half now. Enough time at least to give myself a basic overall impression of the college and a good understanding of the culture on campus. UNCA is an extremely artsy school, surrounded by people who have a love for the environment in particular. Everything is eco-friendly, often the professors too. I have many professors that use online systems to avoid constantly printing material for students. It is an extremely safe campus, I do not know of anyone who has ever felt threatened and in particular the on campus police are friendly and helpful 24/7. I would recommend this college to anyone who is looking for a good education with enough activities to keep occupied but not too many to become distracted. It is generally a stress-free campus, that is clear when walking around it and talking to the students.

Denley

It’s a very nice school, I really like it.

Madison

I absolutely love this school! I live on campus where I've been able to meet new people with similar interests in the small on-campus community. There are things to do on campus as well as off recreationally with clubs, athletics, and other groups/organization. AVL is a beautiful place full of diverse people and tons of opportunity within the university as well as outside.

Zuria

The

Bailey

You will love Asheville if you're really into activism and embracing the "weird." However, even those that do fit in here have a lot to complain about. There's only 4 places to eat on campus and the food isn't even good. Greek life exists but it might as well not because the 4 Greek organizations on campus are never even heard of after rush. Almost all the clubs are inactive. There are no parties on campus but the drug use on campus is insane. Also, nobody on campus has any real school spirit. The turn out for sporting events is just sad. All this school is concerned about is political activism and every single event on campus is centered around it. Our homecoming could easily have been compared to a middle school dance. Don't be fooled by scenic downtown and think there will always be something cool to do, because the majority that there actually is to do off campus is go to bars, which you won't even be able to do until your junior year. You'll just spend your time downtown being hit on by drug addicts and spending $10 on a bad cup of coffee. The bus system is awful, you have to take two buses just to get to the mall and they don't even run after 8:00. As a freshman I got stuck downtown in the dark three times and it was the scariest times of my life. Freshman not only cannot have cars, but if you do manage to score an off-campus job and get your car, you have to park in a gravel lot off campus and will be forced to walk there and back every time you need to go somewhere. Yes, the campus is small and you are a 5-minute walk from literally everything but you will quickly find that there is NOTHING to do on campus unless you smoke weed, you'll never be able to take the classes you want because UNCA gets little to no funding and cannot afford more professors so be prepared to spend more than 4-years getting your degree, and the "charm" of Asheville will fade away before you've even completed your first semester. UNC Asheville is not where you want to go for a memorable "college experience" unless you want to spend your years there protesting your heart out.

Luis

At first I did not know that I would attend to an university like UNCA, but I am glad I did. UNCA offers great classes and the engineering program I am interested in. The university is great due to their heavy focusing on liberal arts and critical thinking. Also, the university has many resources for everyone, raging from financial, health, career and many more. The faculty and students are nice and great people to be friends with and the extracurricular activities are fun to do. UNCA is just the perfect school for me.

Taisha

The University of North Carolina at Asheville is great liberal art school with a prominent supporting staff. The students have a great support system to help each other cope with stress. UNC Asheville is the first place other than home that I feel completely safe to be myself with no judgment or discrimination. In my opinion, that's all a student can ask for, a place that is safe with a sense of belonging. A place where you have great support from your peers, safe to be who you are and learn at the same time. Overall, I am proud to be a part of the University of North Carolina at Asheville. GO BULLDOGS!!!

Zitzia

I love UNCA. It is a very beautiful place. The environment there is amazing and you can make friends quickly. It is a small school. Classes have about 20 students. Professors are always trying to help you. When the student body thinks there is something that the faculty members are doing wrong, we get together and have a peaceful protest. The school can provide health and counseling for you if needed. Food on campus isn't that well though. But there are other nearby places you can eat. Overall, the University of North Carolina at Asheville is a pretty wonderful place to go to.

Melissa

It is an amazing school full of diverse and amazing students and staff. They care so much about our well being to go as far as developing an app (Rocky Shield) to make sure students are safe coming from and going to class/dorms. The staff is very open-minded and very considerate of the students' needs and learning styles.

Melissa

I am very pleased with this school as I am a non traditional student returning to school after taking several years off to start a family. It was an easy process to be readmitted, and all departments were eager to help me get settled in. The campus is very close to my home, easy to navigate, and easily accessible non resident parking allows me to make it to my classes quickly after a work shift. We also have wonderful local food options on campus!

Ginger

I think that UNCA is one of the best Universities that I have seen. It's housed in the middle of a beautiful landscape, is filled with lots of people who are interested in making the world a better place, and the courses are really interesting and enlightening. The professors are also super qualified and involved in student life and learning. Of course, there are small issues that I'm sure every university has. Overall, I would recommend this university to anyone and everyone who would ask me.

Luke

Overall, UNCA is a wonderful school. It is a small University allowing flexibility and a real connection. The town of Asheville itself is culturally rich and diverse creating an incredible atmosphere for first time students. The surrounding mountains and hiking trails encourage students to reconnect with nature. The faculty and staff are 100% devoted to giving students all the help they need to succeed. The campus lives to serve and help students and this is why UNC Asheville is a wonderful place to study.

Rosa

I like the University of North Carolina at Asheville mostly because it has the feeling of a private university. There is a one-on-one culture between professors and students, which it great. As a student who is not a complete leftist, it can be challenging to not feel isolated sometimes. However, the professors are all really great, so that is what makes the environment comfortable for me. I also really like the academic curriculum. The college is very focused on critical thinking, and that shows in the work that we do.

Caledonia

UNCA really is the place where you can discover yourself. You aren't pushed one or the other to participate, but you are challenged to push beyond what you think you believe. You must have a reason why you believe something, because they will question it. The amenities are amazing, one of my orientation leaders called it, "a private school with public school tuition." Everyone on the faculty is really there for you, they care for your well being and they never think of you as a number.

morgan

Its a great school for the artistic with no athletic needs but for athletes it is very lacking. The city of Asheville itself is beautiful, mountains and forests are everywhere. Perfect for adventure people who live for hikes and ones around the hippy scene.

Julianne

Very nice, the professors are willing to listen and help when needed. They also are very accommodating to those whom need support and with those of learning disabilities. The campus is beautiful and quiet. The classroom sizes are smaller than most colleges but this makes it more opportunities to have better connections with the professors and the teaching.

I love it here. I love the weather, the atmosphere, the people. Everyone is so laid back and I feel like I can easily connect with people: ) I love my classes and the professors are wonderful. They are all so knowledgable and always available to talk to. Tutoring hours have become very helpful. The professors here actually care about the students, given the fact that the classes are so small.

Bob

It’s awful, it takes an act of Congress to get ahold of your advisors, no one is ever there when you need them. No one helps you get anything done. Usually late on registration, and their agenda isn’t the best. This university does not prepare the students for the working class. Everyone gets a group hu and a tissue if they are having a hard time. It’s s joke, if I were an employer I would have to really get to know the person to make sure they’re not like the professors and that they have a good work ethic and respect.

Eliana

UNCA is a great place! I really enjoy the liberal arts climate and my classes all seem to relate to each other and foster critical thinking! There are some great activities and opportunities available. I love the free workout and yoga classes at the student recreation center. I love how it is a small school and the campus is amazing!