University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

« See more reviews of University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus

Various people from all over Oklahoma attend O.U. as well lots of people are from Texas. I hear O.U. is one of the best schools for the buck. Yes you will meet some country types, but most are typical to students around the U.S./abroad. People wear what ever they feel like which is usually very leisure clothes, like jeans/t-shirt. There are lots of well groomed, nice haircuts etc people. In reading reviews some say O.U. is not that difficult on the academic level. I would say that it's not easy because I have had to study for every class to do well. I made a 4.00 last semester in 12 hours of Humanities classes which required rigorous research/writing skills for achieving all A's on essay required material. The University of Oklahoma offers many levels of academia that will challenge most in achieving straight A's as each semester seems crammed with plenty of material. For those less studious there are some majors and classes which are doable with moderate studying in attaining decent grades/graduation. On a final note, this is not L.A. or The Big Apple or even Dallas so for those people who want that type of vibe you will have to settle for a whole different experience to come here, one that is geared more towards hanging out with some friends in a small town type vibe, kind of an old hippie town vibe that is slower than the big cities hustle bustle or the like...if you want that whole scene then move to one of those type places or alternately decide to after you grad. maybe!

The student body is pretty laid back and chill. Being a bible belt university, it does have its fair share of pushy christian types and their associated drama. That can cause a little bit of tension on campus, especially since they tend to be loud about abortion, homosexuality, and other issues. But for the most part, they are easy to ignore. Otherwise, i never really had any issues surrounding LGBT, economic, religious, or racial groups. Everyone just kinda gets along, and if there are problems, they tend to leave each other alone. Its a diverse campus, with a lot different cultural experiences to be had, and OU does a good job of promoting and developing that. Which means that generally, the only students who get totally left out at OU are the students who choose to be. As for student interaction, you'll get a lot of interaction in class, or at football games, etc. As a big greek campus, a lot of students align themselves with houses, and that can carry both benefits and hinderances for meeting other students and interacting. Overall, though, its a laid back experience. a lot of students tend to dress down for class, and if its before noon, a lot of them just roll out of the rack and go straight to class in whatever they slept in. Politically, the campus is active, and pretty much all viewpoints are well represented. There are strong groups for liberals, conservatives, and libertarians, and that keeps the campus fairly centered.

As I said before, the student body is so diverse. There are some, and will always be some cliches, but when it comes to my friends, I have some in frats and sororities (my best friend is in a sorority and I am not). I also have some that would never be in greek. Also, a few of my really good friends don't drink and they don't feel out of place at parties where everyone else is. Most OU students are from either Oklahoma or Plano, Texas. I am from Maryland and I do not feel out of place. The type of student that would feel out of place is one that does not get involved and on ehtta does not try to make friends. There are some super rich students while others are working to pay for college. Class clothing can range from sundress to sweatshirts. Usually I try to dress a bit nice to class (cute shorts, maybe a polo top) while other days I'm in soffees and a t-shirt. It really does not matter. When I came to Oklahoma I though everyone would be super conservative. However I came to notice that the school is very diverse politically. Although there are more conservatives than liberals, there is still a big liberal population.

The students at OU are generally very tolerant of others, but they tend to stay in their own groups. The person who would feel most comfortable at OU would be a suburban white kid from the Oklahoma City, Dallas, Tulsa, or Houston areas. Most students who come from these backgrounds join fraternities and sororities. There are not too many kids from small towns here (most of them go to Oklahoma State), but the ones who do come here seem to fit in just fine. Greeks and non-greeks usually are able to coexist, but sometimes they clash. I was in a fraternity my first two years of college, but my fraternity was kicked off campus. Because of this, I have experienced both ends of the greek/non-greek spectrum, and I can safely say that it is easy to find your niche regardless of which path you decide to go (although it is substantially easier to make friends when joining a fraternity). Students seem to be split down the middle politically. Norman is said to be the "Bluest City in the Reddest State", and it certainly lives up to that moniker at times.

Many students have grown up in the Bible-belt, myself included, so there is a strong conservative/republican feel within the student body. That being said, OU is very diverse and is a melting pot of sorts. The student body is largely split between Oklahoma and Texas residents but it doesn't feel like a student body that is homogenous or exclusive to certain people. Their is a strong showing of foreign exchange students who are either studying for a short term (a semester or two) or for their whole college experience. I love the flavor they bring to campus. There will often be campus organizations celebrating a certain culture by having a dinner from a specific culture and inviting anybody to learn about it. Financially, OU is pretty diverse. Since it offers generous scholarships there is a range of students, from families who wouldn't be able to afford college without financial aid to families that own the Hobby Lobby and Mardel franchise (true story).

Before I begin, let me warn you that I am a huge fashionista, and I feel this is something OU is severly lacking. Just because you're going to class doesn't mean you can wear something that completely doesn't match and look ridiculous, but that's just my opinion! Recently, I've been seeing a lot of sperrys and tennis shoes with those socks we wore when we were in 5th grade that come up to our calves. blegh. The student body also recently tried to bring rollerblading back to look cool! That didn't work out. I see a lot of things that really irk me, but like I said, I'm huge on fashion! I think there is a good mix of students at OU. There are a lot of students that come from wealthy backgrounds, but there are also a lot that do not. There are a lot of American students, and a lot of international. I feel that this gives these students an opportunity to learn things from each other because the backgrounds are so vast.

Students at OU are always friendly and helpful. All races, religions, and creeds are supported and represented in various organizations on campus. No student would feel out of place at OU, except for Longhorns fans! Most students wear whatever they feel like, ranging from formal dress to pajamas! Tons of different students interact, usually within classes, dorm settings, organizations, and thousands of different other opportunities. Students come from all over the nation, and even the world! My girlfriend's roommate is an exchange student from China! In particular, financial backgrounds run all over the board. There are no specific backgrounds prevalent. Students are very politically aware, but most are not politically active. There is an Occupy Norman group in Norman, but no one has seen anything about them in months. However, OU is predominantly right to center (mostly right-winged.. welcome to Oklahoma!).

The typical student here is either from Oklahoma, Texas, or maybe Kansas (and other states immediately surrounding Oklahoma). They are somewhat politically and religiously conservative (by that, I mean Republican and Christian) at the same time that they are very active in their social lives and are very interested in going to parties and such. However, it is really only the Greek population that actively parties every weekend - I've found that most other people only do so every now and then. Most people are nice when you talk to them, but might tend to stay with their friends instead of branching out to find other people who may look or think differently than they do. But it's still not that hard to find friends - I would advise joining a campus organization or club, because I've found that's the best way to meet like-minded people with whom you can get along.

I don't have many experiences with those groups. Sometimes the religious ones try to evangelize me, and it's rather annoying. I think an extremely liberal student would feel out of place at OU. Most students wear jeans and T-Shirs to class. Different types of students don't interact very much, I think. I don't think that the four tables are that describable---college isn't like high school! One might be a group of sorority girls or frat boys, but other than that, I can't really describe them. People aren't that easy to put into boxes. Most OU students are from Oklahoma or Texas. Their financial backgrounds are middle class. Most students aren't politically aware/active, but many are. Most people are right-wing. People don't really talk about how much they'll earn in one day, in my experience.

The students at OU are very diverse. I have made friends from every sexual, racial, religious, economical background you can imagine and its wonderful. Sure, there are buttheads on every campus. Everywhere will find those few Greek students that are very exclusive, or someone you don't agree with. Our campus is working on becoming aware of everyone's differences and making sure everyone feels involved on campus. A high end financial background is prominent in the Greek community, but other than that there isn't really a prevalent one on campus. Sure, you'll wrong across students driving Porches, Mercedes, and Rage Rovers but on the other hand theres a large number of beat down '96 Toyotas still clunking around.