Mayaguez, PR
University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez

Yeniel

It is a good place. It is easy to get use to it. The classes are great, the food is great, the extra curricular activities are great. There is always something to do. There are some horrible teachers and a problem with some bathrooms, but mainly, the school is pretty cool

Kelby

It has been great so far. For it being my first experience as an University the facilities and classes are more than I expected. I really would like to continue my studies and to gain more knowledge and experience professionally. As for the association the campus has , its really gives skills the student may be looking for his or her professional aspirations.

Laurie
Proud Colegial

Proud Colegial

What I loved about the RUM is that there was a balance between academics and social activities. If you want to study in a quality school, where students focus on their studies, but live near the beach, and have somewhere fun to go every Thursday(the day everyone goes out), this is the place for you. UPRM is the best university in all of Puerto Rico for a reason. And trust me, we are very proud of it, and so will you. Antes, ahora, y siempre... Colegio

Zaida

I believe that University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez is an excellent school. It offers many opportunities, it encourages students to give their best and helps them to be successful.

The stereotype is that only the smartest enter at UPR Mayaguez. Is very accurate but on the way classes and professors help students get down to earth. It is a challenge that only the best complete.

The most popular activities are athletics and the marching Band. There are a great variety of groups and associations that depend on the faculties and they have prestige.

The college is like a micro society, there is a representation of a great variety of cases. It promotes respect.

There are a few classes that are a challenge for students. My least favorite class was pre-calculus, it was a nightmare. The department of Horticulture is very nice, people is comprehensive and kind. The professors help the students to get far in their goals. There are many opportunities to develop team working skills.

Peter

My school is very focused on engineering and Engineering degrees usually require 160 to 180 credits.

My advice to myself would be to not be shy at all, to simply put myself out there and to expose myself to every situation or activity possible. College is a unique experience and you should enjoy it from beginning to end.

The worst thing about my school is definitely the rainy season and to some extent the lack of parking areas.

Lilliana

Knowing the college life, I 'll told myself to work harder than high school. But even more important, to keep always in mind that Im going to make it, there is nothing much valuable that knowledge and a student really involved with it. I'll said that education is a gift and there is just one oportunity to live it and enjoy it, no matter how hard it turns my responsability is to try.

Its too big and sometimes students need to walk a lot to go to class.

Efrain

My school is best known for be the best school of engineer in the caribbean. Most of students came from different place like Colombia, Mexico, Venezuela to attend to my university to study engineer. The school is also one of the top 30 schools of engineer in the United States.

First of all to be sure what I like to work and what career I want in the future. When I'm really decided of what I'm going to do, I will ask persons and search anything about my future career and what I can do immediately if I were being accepted to the program I want. Also I will find researches with professors that are involved in the area you want to work and find summer internships so you have experiences and the knowledge for your future work. Don't waste to much money in things that are not worth it and save money for college expenses, in case that you don't have any scholarship that will help you. Don't hang out with people or friends that don't care to much of the studies and university. Study everyday, so when the professor gave you an exam, you are ready and you can have good grades. Make good relations with professors and faculty of the university. Rest the time a people need to rest to have a healthy life.

I brag to my friends about the not anybody can attend to my school. You must have good grades to be in and when you're in you have to work hard and to do your 100% to have good grades. Also I told them that if you graduate from my school, there's a big possibility that you could find job easily.

Santiago

To start on a different carreer. I change my plans during undergraduate years, deciding for a Bachelor Degree in Psychology. It was not worthy because I never need that degree for getting a job. I have dedicated my proffesional life to teach. That is what I really love to do.

That institution doesn't offer so many nights and saturdays programs. That would be helpfull for those that prefer to work on weekdays.

The University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez is a higher education institution that offers opportunities for the top (above average) students of Puerto Rico and America. The students that enroll there should have good studying skills, compromise and responsability It's a tough institution. Students need to dedicate extra time to do their academic job.

Start pinching your pennies now. Every little thing you abstain from buying will help in the long run. Oh, and stop loaning money to your friends; they’ll never pay you back. As far as college goes, you will be on your own financially. Take those scholarship applications more seriously. Conversely, take yourself a little less seriously. Just keep going; college is well worth all the stress from high school. It’s true that you are responsible for everything and let me tell you, it’s a beautiful thing. So, to recap: start saving. Apply for scholarships more frequently. All the stress will be worth it when you do get to college.

Heather

The first, and most important, piece of advice I would say to my high school self is: “Don’t take a break after graduation!” It is so much easier to just continue going to school, rather than to take multiple years off like I did. Plus I would have been the closer in age to my classmates, instead of being almost 6 years older than them. That would have allowed me to better relate to people in my classes. The second piece of advice would be to take career assessment tests to help figure out what to major in. I had a very difficult time deciding my major when I first enrolled in college. In fact, I ended up changing my major four different times and I cannot help but think that maybe I should have taken some assessments before applying to college. And the last piece of advice would be to take courses that are interesting in addition to the required courses for your major. This balance of required and interesting has helped tremendously to get through some of my tougher semesters.

University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.