University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez

Laurie

What I loved about the RUM is that there was a balance between academics and social activities. If you want to study in a quality school, where students focus on their studies, but live near the beach, and have somewhere fun to go every Thursday(the day everyone goes out), this is the place for you. UPRM is the best university in all of Puerto Rico for a reason. And trust me, we are very proud of it, and so will you. Antes, ahora, y siempre... Colegio

Iris

I love the campus, it has many green areas full of trees. My clases are great, the professor that I have had the oportunity to work with are amazing. However I not a party girl myself and the college is know to be a party campus so I do not enjoy the constatnt partying that goes around but many people do enjoy that aspect of the campus.

Litza

Is the best univeity to study

Gadiel E

Best college in the country. great level of education, great professors. Learning is the way to progress in life. Interest is needed in order to learn, someone who do not want to learn can not be teached. Who teached you and how they do it can have a big impact in the learning process, having a good mentor is an advantage. Interaction during the process will make things easier than just sitting down and listening or watch someone explaining. If there is personal communication between mentor and student learning becomes a closer and easier habit, plus better confidence is created. Comfort comes with confidence and with confidence comes creativity which means the will to learn about something increases.

Shayranni

It has a lot of academic opportunities but most professors aren't good at teaching. The students at the university are good and helpful, it's like a big family. On the other side there is not enough parking. The cafeteria is not so good but there are other places to eat which are at a walking distance. There are fraternities/sororities but you barely hear from them. The sports teams are great and are always in the top 3 on the island.

Yeniel

It is a good place. It is easy to get use to it. The classes are great, the food is great, the extra curricular activities are great. There is always something to do. There are some horrible teachers and a problem with some bathrooms, but mainly, the school is pretty cool

Nunila

I am currently a shophomore in the university. The environment is really great and the campus is enormous. It's noticeable that students are here to learn and obtain their degree soon, without missing any COOP or internship opportunities. The job fair done once a semester really opens a lot of doors for employment for graduating students and internships for regular students. It's excellent!

Kelby

It has been great so far. For it being my first experience as an University the facilities and classes are more than I expected. I really would like to continue my studies and to gain more knowledge and experience professionally. As for the association the campus has , its really gives skills the student may be looking for his or her professional aspirations.

Sebastian

It is a great university with a small campus in which there are many things to do. I personally like the environment and the education is fantastic. There are many exchange and internship opportunities which is also a plus. Overall a great university.

Luis

It is an excellent college special in the Engineering Field.

Carlos

Is one the best university of Puerto Rico, provides a great preparation for the world of work in every aspect of your career. As a current student I believe I came to the right university in the looks of a education. I fully recommend my campus to everyone that is looking for an education in engineering or in cience.

Adriana

The University of Puerto Rico Mayagüez campus is a really awesome school. I feel like it would open many opportunities in my future but also while I’m a student. The only downside I have is more personal because the campus is so far from my home and I always get homesick the minute I leave for the school week. But in general the people are very open minded and very well educated.

Nancy

The university has seen better days. The library has been closed since the strike from last year, meaning its been over a year that we don't have a fully functioning library. There are some buildings infested with asbestos. The parking is horrible - either there is no space, forcing students to park in places outside, or the parking lot gets flooded. We will be getting charged more money, for basically less resources. Academically the education is very good, but the resources could use some updating, among other things.

Coralys

It provides a great college experience and a great education. There are challenges that will make you learn and professors you won't forget. There's a club for everyone and anyone, so your interests will be met. The party scene does not dissapoint and you'll meet friends that will last a lifetime.

Hector

Even though it does not have the best facilities, or the classes are not the best, It is a very friendly university in which the students can have a great time to relax with others when they do not have to study, and also a good bonus is that many things are walking distance.

Angie

Basically, it is a competitive school. The education is exemplary yet there are many other problems. Even though we get to good education, basic necessities like course selection and overall professors are not the greatest. It can be a massive headache because most of the administration does not care about its students or staff. It does have a good ambiance and is very cheap in comparison to other universities.

Carlos

I love it. It's a really homey place, you meet all kinds of people and academically it's challenging... But worth it, because I grow both personally and professionally. Yeah, we are a University that fights for its rights, we don't let ANYONE to make choices that won't benefit us. We fight for our rights and don't give in. We let ouurselves be heard. Sports wise, we are pretty good, always representing our COLEGIO! We are a very proud university. Antes, Ahora y Siempre... COLEGIO!

Dayanyadi

I have to be honest, this university has an amazing campus. It is one of the largest universities in the island. The professors are pretty much like every university: good ones and bad ones. The administration is incompetent and the system does not work. Online courses are not viable of this university and the empathy towards the student is minimum. The food is glorious and going to basketball, volleyball, and baseball games are so much fun. There's always a party outside of the campus, every night. It's a Puerto Rican culture, sorry. I have met a lot of wonderful friends there. The mascot is a bulldog so you will see dogs around campus a lot of the times. The trolley system is trash. I really wish we had more green spaces too.

Julian

This university is excellent, it has great engineering and science programs. The only thing holding the university back is the shortage of funds, which the local government has diminished the past few years. Overall it's the best campus in Puerto Rico, great atmosphere, people and it's located in the prettiest part of Puerto Rico, its west side.

Steven G.

There are things that need to be fixed, new improvements, but overall is Amazing. "Antes, Ahora y Siempre...COLEGIO!"

Abner

It is a good university in general, but there may be better options in the area of biology. The buildings are a little old, and the proffesors are definitely not the best, but you can still learn. Also, the classes are way too far apart so be prepared to walk a lot a to start using sunscreen.

Karleen

I had the privilege of studying at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez campus for my undergraduate degree. When I got to the university as a freshman I didn’t know much about it. The few things I knew was that had a reputation of being the hardest university in Puerto Rico and that they took pride in being selective in their admissions and curriculum. Little did I know that not only were they selective in their admissions but very few students remained at the university due to the workload and pressure of the classes. From many of my friends that entered very few graduated. Many had to move to private colleges with more flexible and easier courses because the workload was too much. I remember the all-nighters, the tests, the difficulties I spent there but that just made me love studying there even more. The quality of the education you get there in my opinion is much superior than in other places. The campus is huge so walking is a must unless you’re lucky enough to catch one of the trolleys. There are extracurricular activities and clubs galore. I had the privilege of being part of the University Choir and it was one of the best experiences I’ve had. I am proud to say that I am a “Colegial”, as they call their alumni, because the challenges I faced there prepared me for the real world. And the fun moments I had there will remain with me forever.

Alondra

My original goal has always been to get to UPR Mayagüez under the knowledge that this campus excels in Agricultural Science (which includes the health and welfare of animals) and it is a very reliable source of academical experience. It is not an easy university but it equips students with the knowledge they require to make their goals a reality.

Yarel

It’s a great university but there are some problems that could be fixed easily. Because the university is part of the state, and the Puerto Rico government has a debt that is so big they cut federal funds from the student to pay that so sadly the students, the campus, the professors and everything isn’t the best right now.

Carla

This university is really immense! Everyone is so kind and they are all willing to help others. Guards, professors, and even the students. Everything is so clean, you can’t see a piece of trash anywhere, and they are recycling cans everywhere so people can recycle. And they are maps, so people can look at them when they are lost (what it is very often).

Carla

Diane

I thinks it’s a great university and there’s a lot of opportunities there. I’m going to be a freshman this year but I just now I’m going to be well educated there and have amazing opportunities. This is why I want to apply for this scholarship, because it would be a very big help for me in this university.

Mariana

It's a good University, many programs, but is overrated. Some of the smartest students on Puerto Rico goes there, but also there is a lot f people that use them, and the prestige of this college to tell others "how smart they are". It's recognized to have hard professors which is true, only some are really good. But anyways it's a big campus, many sports and teams, one of the best marching bands of Puerto Rico, and variety of programs, organizations, sports and arts.