University of Virginia-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Virginia-Main Campus

Maria

UVA is a great school for you if you want to challenge yourself academically and socially. You meet a lot of really interesting people; even though UVA is a PWI, if you put yourself in the right places, you can meet an incredibly diverse community full of differing and interesting perspectives and ideas. It is a little frustrating being taught and led by mostly white adults (mostly white male adults) but I have managed to find a community on Grounds that is full of people unlike me (and like me, too). UVA is a great place to find your group, find your niche, find yourself, etc.

I love the Campus at the University of Virginia-Main. I always feel at home and safe and there's so much to do! There are many on campus restaurants and dining options, along with shops. There is never a dull moment and it seems impossible to get bored while on campus. I can't wait to hopefully attend here in the fall!!

Keyaira

I liked the educational side of UVA, but as a minority, I did not feel as comfortable as I should have. The people there are all the same in my eyes. Every day was routine. Not a lot of new faces and the campus itself just was not as flattering as it was hyped to be.

The University of Virginia has a great environment. No matter who you are, you'll find people who you can get along with. Some of the professors are THE BEST, while others strike fear into the students who have them, but I think that's likely something applicable to all universities.

Hope

The University of Virginia is a phenomenal school that truly looks out for the safety and well-being of its students. The professors have given me an amazing experience, especially during these stressful times. The professor are empathetic, easily reachable, and push you to be the best you can be. The classes can definitely be tedious, but if you put the work into it, I believe it is truly preparing the students for their careers after school. The students here aren't just 'classmates' their family. There will always be someone there to hold the door open for you, grab coffee with you, or help you out if you're struggling in a class. The campus is absolutely stunning and well kept. All these things combined are why I love it so much at UVA.

Angela

I am a sophomore at the University of Virginia so my knowledge is somewhat limited, however, my countless visits and student orientation have given me a very positive image of the university. The students and staff of UVA that I have encountered are all helpful and kind. Whether it be providing me directions to the library or advising me on what classes are best to take, they have provided me assistance that has made my experience entering the school pleasant. UVA also provides its students with countless resources when they are in need. They have countless deans that are available after an appointment on most days ( they also have walk-ins with the "dean of the day"), financial advisors that can help students look for scholarship opportunities or give advice to someone struggling to make payments, counselors that are available around the clock for when students are in crisis and student advisors that offer assistance to their peers based on their own experiences. UVA really makes it so that its students are set up for success. The social scene at UVA is also something of note. There are countless cafés and diners that offer students the opportunity to socialize and network. That doesn\'t include the hundreds of clubs and student organizations available for people with different interests. Overall, I believe the University of Virginia is a great school flush with opportunities to help students thrive and grow academically, socially, and mentally.

Very nice campus

William

UVA is an excellent academic institution, with many knowledgeable students and faculty members. Be prepared to be surrounded by astute people that may make you feel dumb, but know you can be just as successful as anyone at UVA. Classes can definitely be challenging, but tutoring, office hours, and extra help make everything doable. The stereotype of arrogance is overstated, although there are plenty of preps and vineyard vines mascots running around. There is solid diversity of students and plenty of parties and organizations to enjoy. The food can be dissapointing, as Runk is far, O-Hill is hit-or-miss, and Newcomb is often crowded. However, plus dollars and meal exchange mean you can always get something good. The first-year dorms are all fine, but old dorms get hot without a fan, and Gooch/Dillard are far from just about everything. New dorms are great, but anywhere is a great place to make friends. The Corner is a 20-minute brisk walk from grounds, and has good restaurants and convenience stores for a break from school. Most people go to the bars though, alcohol is the lifeblood of most social events (but there's no pressure to drink or do drugs, and sober faculty planned events every week.) Most sports other than football are competitive or great, so go to game if you'd like.

Robyn

University of Virginia is a great place to go to school. The people are great and the opportunities are ample! I am in the engineering school which is just one of the different schools within the university. The atmosphere is competitive but everyone is still supportive of all of the other students. Overall, UVa is a fantastic school (and the band rocks)

Veridiana

It's a great environment for both social and academic life. UVA will enlighten and broaden your horizons with it's diverse population and culture while also giving the safety net for you to grow and strive. The campus is beautiful and rich with history.

Gloria

University of Virginia-Main Campus is big; however, there are many intellectual groups that make the school a wholesome community.

Eva

The University of Virginia is a lively, exciting, and interesting place to go to school. Just like every school, it has its good and bad sides. Like most schools, the food and the lack of affordable, off-campus housing is frustrating. The lack of diversity and cultural understand, as well as the ever changing University leadership system also causes a lot of controversy. However, what makes UVA unique is the way the students respond to these setbacks. Student resilience, activism, and learned understanding has changed the school in drastic ways, even in my short three years. Student have led protests have helped increase wages for University employees, helped interview and select board members, professors, and our new University President, and have stood up against racism, as eyes turned towards the school during the summer of 2017. Student action has led me to love UVA more than I thought I would. As for our athletics? We're the best. Our amazing football games, our basketball team, and the 24 NCAA championships that range across almost every team says enough. Our continued athletic and academic excellence has allowed UVA to remain as a top-ranking public university. It is hard to be a student-athlete in the Batten School of Public Policy and Leadership. In other words, I'm working two full time jobs at the same time. Both my team and my major push me past all of my limits. During finals week, it is easy for me to hate almost everything about UVA. The course load, the expectations and demands of professors and coaches can be daunting. Though exhausting, I know that I have become a better person because of it. I can handle adversity, while also maintaining my composure and intelligence better than I ever thought I could. Though UVA needs to become a more diverse, and accepting school, I know that I can help do that with the skills this school has taught me.

Diana

The University of Virginia is probably one of the best places on earth. Our academics are amazing and we have an amazing reputation throughout the country. Our teachers are incredibly available and there are so many resources on campus to help you perform your best in class. The social life is also pretty awesome. There are so many groups to join and activities to attend, but most importantly our students come from so many different backgrounds that it is very easy to find your friend group. The University of Virginia provides us with the best resources. We have many study areas and libraries, and even recently the University opened up a place called 1515 that provides us with study rooms, arcade games, and a cafe. The university really does care about their students and how to give them the best college experience. I personally would not want to be anywhere else. The University of Virginia has become my second home away from home.

Christyn

The school and academics seem good, but after being there for three years, I still don't feel entirely welcome or accepted. The culture fits a lot of the stereotypes which I am not a fan of - a lot of the students seem closed minded to having any kind of relationship with people who come from different backgrounds from them. There are groups to get involved in to find friends, but everything is too competitive.

Celie

There is a stereotype that the students at uVA are very preppy. This is pretty true, but not in any way that interferes with students that aren't really part of that student culture. This is the largest turn off that I hear from many high school and other college students. There are plenty of students orgs that will cater to your interests. The academic prestige, sports, and arts are plenty to compensate any parts of the school that you dislike.

Going to the University of Virginia is easily the best decision I ever made. The students are kind, there is something for everyone, and it truly feels like a place where important things are happening. In my first year, research experience was accessible and influential. Professors are incredibly talented and pretty easy to reach outside of class. For the most part, you get a sense of a collaborative culture amongst students, rather than aggressively competitive.

Eldon

Difficult school with stressful environment, but definitely worth the time and effort and money you place into it. Very well rounded school with aspects for everyone to choose from, such as sports to politics to just hanging out with your friends. Overall, wonderful school in a nice, busy, quiet college town.

Leah

It's such a big college, but there are lots of clubs which offer something for every person. In terms of classes, there can be a lot of stress, but I don't feel like it's probably more than there is at other colleges of the same or similar size. I've really enjoyed my time here so far, and I'm sometimes sad that I won't be here forever!

Louis

UVA is a great place. The academics are top-notch, the campus is beautiful, the history is incredible, and the surrounding "college town" is welcoming and interesting. There is, however, quite a strong party scene, with which some students struggle to identify. Not to fear though! The plethora of clubs and organizations provide everybody with some sort of niche.

Yasmin

At first I hated UVA, I couldn't wait to finish my tour and drive back home. It wasn't until I was accepted at this prestigious university did I even think about giving the school a shot. So I researched, and toured again, spoke with faculty and students, and at the very last moment accepted my position to attend UVA. My love for the university continues to grow as the years go by, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. It wasn't love at first sight, but going to this school is better than any other experience I would have had somewhere else.

Mikayla

UVA has an amazing community and everyone feels like family

Justina

UVA is such a unique and awesome place. As someone who attended from out-of-state, I truly enjoyed the warmth of the campus and the promise of so many possibilities. The great thing about UVA is that if there's a club you're looking for an it doesn't exist, then you can create it. The school truly values student run organizations and you don't need a faculty member overseeing your club. They truly value student leadership and it is one of the things I enjoyed. The food in Charlottesville is AMAZING! I still go back to this day for dumplings and gelato on the corner... nothing beats the food here and I loved every bite of it. There was always something to do or get involved in whether in the ton or on grounds. UVA will forever hold a special place in my heart. WAHOOWA!!!

Lavinia

The University of Virginia is an institution that has accumulated much attention for its academia. The university was established nearly 200 years ago by Founding Father, and the author of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson created this university in his image and emphasized the importance of a learning community in which students and professors can interact on a level that only promotes scholarship. To this day, the university upholds its original values of integrity, honesty, and respect. The university if known for its student-run honor code and secret societies among its historic foundation. University is a large public university located in a rather small city, however, the versatility, or ability for both the university and Charlottesville itself to transform itself to fit your needs is impeccable. The university offers a wide, range of activities and organizations, and Charlottesville always has events. While the coursework at the University of Virginia is challenging, there are wonderful peers, teaching assistants, and professors who will work with you and support you every step of the way. Even though I am only in my first year here at the university, I can personally say that I love being at this university. My transition has been extremely smooth and I look forward to what the future has in store. When applying to various colleges and universities, I strongly suggest that you consider U.Va. You won't regret it!

Tenneh

I was a little hesitant to come to UVA, as other minorities who went there before me seemed to have some pretty bad social experiences. However, after finishing my first year, I've come to find a great group of friends through the hundreds of clubs across Grounds. The atmosphere is pretty welcoming, the classes are engaging and interesting, and you will surely find your place at UVA! Overall, it's a great school, and I would recommend applying here!

Ashli

The University of Virginia or more affectionally known as UVA can become a 2nd home or an enjoyable environment for any student who wishes to attend this University. Our campus aka Grounds is beyond beautiful and you'll find yourself take tons of artsy photos especially of the historical Rotunda. UVA is a mixture of rigorous academics with plenty of opportunities to unwind. There are plenty of student run clubs (or CIOs) for anything you could think of and if you'd like to start your own, you're more than welcome. As an out-of-state student, it may seem a little daunting that a lot of people already know each other but there is no need to worry since everyone is welcoming and you'll find your close-knit friends within time.

Jaina

UVA is an awesome school all around. Academically and Socially. There is literally so much to do all the time, I barely sleep. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Crystall

In general, UVA is a good school. It has a great deal of opportunities for nearly every major, and there are always events going on, so each person can find their niche. The class size tends to be a bit overwhelming for me as well as the entire campus size; further, the party scene can be a bit stressful especially as a quiet student. However, after the first year, the sizes of classes shrinks and the large parties calm down. There are a lot of fun places off of campus and a fun variety of classes. There does seem to be an air of privilege, especially surrounding some of the greek organizations, but there are always groups and clubs outside of that for every kind of person.

Mary-Parker

UVA is a great place, where everyone can find somewhere to fit in and feel like a part of the community. Everyone there is dedicated to their school work and furthering their education, but also about activities outside the classroom, everything from sports to nature trips to singing or church groups, so there really is something for everyone.

Monica

As a proud and dedicated Hoo, I know that learning is a lifelong journey. My Bachelor’s degree from the University of Virginia provided the best possible foundation for me to achieve my short-term goals. The history and economics topics I studied during my undergraduate liberal arts education at UVA were enthralling and nurtured my critical thinking capabilities, and the business skills and global mindset I gained through UVA’s enriching courses facilitated the start of my career and have enabled me to be an effective member of the business world. The learning experience that UVA offers not only provided me with a deeper understanding of opportunities and challenges in the large business world, but also gave me chance to gain a better grasp of my own strengths and weaknesses. The learning opportunities that UVA provides are not constrained to its beautiful campus ‘grounds,’ as volunteer and leadership experiences for all students to make a positive impact on the greater Charlottesville community abound. Charlottesville’s sense of community, liberal values, temperate climate, and unique food and cultural offerings make it the ideal place for any student to transition into adulthood and achieve the highest possible levels of career and personal growth. Beyond helping its graduates to win their first job offerings, UVA helps its students to achieve their long-term ambitions as well. UVA is focused on challenging its students intellectually and personally, adhering to a strict, student-enforced honor code that bonds Wahoos over a shared appreciation of common values for life. I know from experience there is no place that creates better citizens and change makers than UVA, and I always can’t wait to return home to Grounds.

Ama

It is an amazing school and I would not want to be anywhere else. The academics is a huge part of the school but that is to be expected because it is known for its academics. It is also very easy to have a lot fo fun when you aren't studying. UVA is just where to get a full college experience.

Che

Too many people drink, and if you're from out of state you might not feel like you fit in. A lot of people are preppy & gaylike. A ton of guys wear super short shorts which is weird. The food is okay here. There is fun to be had if you make it fun yourself. However you often will not share that fun because once the semester starts everyone has their own agenda and priorities

Helen

The University of Virginia has a distinct culture that truly makes is unique. As an African-American attending this university that is often seen solely as a great, but predominantly white, school, I can say that it is made up of many different groups of students, who not only look different, but hold very diverse mindsets. It is challenging university, and the motto "work hard, play hard" is followed by a majority of its students; education is a great priority, but so is being able to reward oneself and enjoy the college life. Overall, this University is amazing.

Erin

It is a very selective breed of people. A lot of people here are very much so only interested in themselves and see themselves above everyone else. The campus is pretty and the academics provide a good foundation. However the sentiment throughout Charlottesville seems very prejudiced agains minorities and people here tend to only stick with their own kind.

I love UVA. The student-faculty culture is very welcoming and encouraging. It's a challenging school with many intelligent and capable students, but I still feel like I belong and like I've found my place at UVA. The faculty is also very open and encouraging of meeting with them outside of class.

I love Grounds and most of the professors and students, with a few exceptions, but that's like every other schools. The food could be better, but they also have a pretty decent meal exchange program. The dorms are nice, especially the new ones. The old ones do not have air conditioning, but they are being renovated. There are tons of extracurriculars and things to do, whether you're a partier or not.

Ama

It is a great school and I am glad I am here. Although it can be very competitive at times, it overall motivates you to do better for yourself. There are also many opportunities for work and you end up meeting a lot of cool people from different places.

Chelsea

I love the University of Virginia. The students are so involved and enthusiastic about academics, sports, and the campus. They take pride in being a Hoo and are always ready to get people excited about everything and anything going on around Grounds.

Katy

UVa is considered a public ivy - great academic quality, beautiful and historical campus, insane alumni network, and a majority white, upper-middle class student demographic. Coming from Southeast Asia where I spent most of my childhood, it definitely was an adjustment. More segregation than I'm used to. I'm in global studies but I was shocked by how euro-centric and narrow the narratives are. I've only been here a year and I find the culture weird and elitist, but have a lot more time to form my opinion.

Jay

I just transfer at UVA this semester and i must say its a great school. I spent 7 weeks on campus before moving to online classes. I mostly observe student going out of their way to help one another. For instance, I was totally lost during my first week of school in January, when i asked students for assistance they would literally work me to my destination. The Professors explicitly explain their material but you need to do a lot of outside studying on your own and find resources that can help you learn. Appetizing food options and this was one of things that attracted me to UVA. To be honest you do not want to be stressing out about classes and what to eat at the same time. Its would drain you, have been there! As a transfer student I did not have any friend that I maintain close contact with, I think this was because friend groups were already made and COVID 19 hits during this same time.

Alvaro

This school is an amazing place to be, I am always glad I came here. What impressed me the most is the willingness for the campus staff to let me create a club based on only pure desire and determination. The students are extremely diverse and the campus life will never be one to be forgotten.

Matthew

The University of Virginia has a long history of excellence. I am a second generation Cavalier and am very proud to be part of this community. Virginia is top ranked in multiple categories, the professors are accessible and the culture is, for the most part, a positive one.

ayse

Do you want to walk by five historical sites on your way to class? Do you want to bring your own beach chair to the huge auditorium to be extra comfortable in your biology class? Do you want the wallet you lost for the 3482398th time on campus to magically make its way back to you via plentiful cavalier samaritans and the strict honor code? Do you want to chat with a prospective NBA player on your way to a language class? Do you want to get in your 7k steps every day and staying healthy do to your amazing and huge campus? Then apply to become a wahoo!

Tanay

Until you see UVA, it may seem pretentious and fratty from the outside. However, I truly believe that UVA is the best of all worlds (except dining halls): academics, extracurricular activities, sport culture, and research/employment opportunities. Literally a part of history, as it was designed by Mr. Jefferson himself, there is extreme awareness of UVA's dark past involving the exclusion of women, history of slaves, and more recent issues with white supremacist rallies. I think, however, that this shared dark history unites students within a culture of equality, morality, and yearning for a better future, both for our school

Matthew

For me, there's alwats been something different about being a Wahoo. I love my school, and nearly everything about it, from the world class academics to the competetive sporting events always going on. But truly the most inspiring aspect of the University of Virginia is the student population. We come from diverse backgrounds all around the world, have different interests, and views on important issues. We come together for the endless pursuit of uncompromised excellence. I'll be honest, UVa is not without its problems. The food isn't the best and course scheduling is always a pain. But I wouldn't want to call any other place my school.

Reza

I love UVA. It has its ups and downs, like any college... But here's the thing: no matter who you are, what you study, whether you drink or not -- UVA takes everyone in and has a community to offer for literally anyone. Like sports? Join any of the colossal number of intramural or club teams. Like DnD? Join DnD club! Love Theatre? 4 Completely run student organizations (First Year Players represent!). Obviously there's no doubt about how incredible UVA's academics are. If the social scene is what you're afraid of, don't let it dissuade you when you make your college decision :)!

Chris

Overall, University of Virginia is a fantastic school and my first year could not have been better. There are tons of things to get involved in, and thanks to drumline I was able to find a niche before I even got to Grounds. Food quality could be a bit better but the convenience and ease of use makes up for it, and the option to use Plus Dollars and meal exchanges at locations on Grounds (both at familiar fast-food joints in the Pav or at local food trucks near the Amphitheater) allows you to get a taste of something new when you want. On-Grounds housing is pretty good (though first-year dorms can vary wildly in quality), but some upperclassmen housing can be a bit distant and parking isn't cheap. Off-Grounds housing is widely available, from houses on Jefferson Park Avenue (JPA) to apartment buildings on the Corner that cater to students, though prices and quality of location vary; however, these can be used year-round, which makes them good for winter break and summer internships in the Charlottesville area, though there is a large subletting market as well. Area safety has been a bit rocky due to local events this past August but I have never once felt unsafe while on Grounds itself. However, there have been a couple of alarming incidents in areas not far from Grounds (two abduction attempts a few months ago), so when out at night it is best to keep your wits about you and travel in a group if possible, though that will apply anywhere.

The University of Virginia campus is beautiful and there are great people to befriend and talk to. The professors that I have had are all invested in their students' education, although I have heard from friends that there are some professors that are not great teachers. The night life and surrounding community are all wonderful. There is something for everyone at UVA.

Alexis

The University of Virginia has given me a very wholesome experience. I enjoy talking with other students and meeting new people. Everyone is really helpful and willing to hear you out. I think people get equal representation here and the overall atmosphere gives students the chance to express themselves freely. I was totally not expecting to go to the University of Virginia when I first applied to colleges; however, I am pleased to say that since being here, I couldn't ask for a better environment.

Vincent

UVA is definitely a well regarded university with high quality academic resources and connections. Socially there is a bit of a pretentious vibe but it isn't overwhelming or insurmountable. Overall I like UVA but it is very much what I expected it to be.

hannah

I love UVA. It's the middle ground for about everything you could want: perfect size (not too big, not too small), balance between work and play, etc. They have so many interesting courses and professors and connections to important people in their fields to learn from.