University of Wisconsin-Platteville Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Wisconsin-Platteville

Andrew

I enjoy the campus and I believe it is a good fit. It is close to my parent's home and I can easily travel back and forth. Overall, I feel as University of Wisconsin Platteville is an extremely good school and it fits all the criteria I am looking for in a college.

Christina

My personal opinion about the university of Wisconsin-Platteville, I am currently taking science classes for me to pursue my nursing degree. Because UW-Platteville has a very good science program and I need some science classes in order for me to start my education. Also, this school is very nice and clean. It is a public school with just the right amount of students in the class for you to focus and learn more from.

Samara

I'll be honest, when I was a senior and I was thinking about where I could see myself for the next four years, it was definitely not Platteville, Wisconsin. Although, I knew that my major would be secondary education and that Platteville had a great program for future educators. My freshman year was great and exciting fun, as it should be when you make new friends and you're out braving the new world of adulthood! My Sophomore year was not quite like that fantasy college life. The biggest down fall of UW-Platteville is that is feels just like high school for the folks who went to an average sized school. The groups are incredibly cliquey and I know because I was apart of one and now have been able to see it from the outside. In these desperate times, I decided the best thing for me would be to focus on school work. I'll admit I've had numerous tabs open for universities across the country that would be a better fit for me, but there was something always drawing me back. It was the staff and my advisors that made me realize how lucky I am to have such involved individuals in the journey I am taking. I decided to look past the cliques because hey, I've only got a couple years to go! And the most important part of college is deciding what is best for you, along with making some great memories. So, even though Platteville is not my dream school, I've realized it is where I need to be in order to created lasting connections with professionals in order to help me get to my future dream school as a teacher.

Mariah

I love UWP. Classes are fairly small so you get to know your professor and vice versa. The traditional dorms are decent but the suite style dorms are incredible. The food isn't too bad, its not home cooking but its not dug out of a dumpster. And there isn't a whole lot to do in Platteville but Dubuque isn't too far away and the university is always holding events for students. All around pretty great atmosphere.

Kaylee

They have good programs, and great opportunities for everyone on campus. The school strives to have everyone get involved with sports, clubs, Greek life, or other extra curriculars. The class sizes are good, and the teachers are experienced within the field they are teaching. It's a great place to meet friends, and get an education.

Brandon

Platteville as a whole is a great community and is a relatively small campus where you don't have to walk more than 10 minutes to get to class. It is a smaller school so class sizes were about the same for me as they were in high school. On top of this the one thing I liked was having accessibility to professors inside and outside the classroom as this helped me get through many of my classes.

Kathryn

It is an amazing school! Great school with good academics and good athletic opportunities. The teachers are very helpful, especially with the small classroom settings. It is easier to have a better connection and more help from the teacher. There are a lot of clubs you can get involved in, especially pertaining to your major.

Rikki

A small college nestled among farm fields and rolling hills in the southwest corner of Wisconsin, just across the border from Iowa and Illinois. It's easy to feel that the town is made up of just the college because it has a way of overtaking the city of 10,000. The campus is surprisingly refreshing in its laid-back culture backed by rigorous academics. The campus culture is surprisingly project-based from its hard sciences to the arts. From cardboard statues, to student newscast, concrete canoes to off-road vehicles, students demonstrate their knowledge through creation versus rote-test taking. Known for engineering, the university offers a broad range of degrees in education, sciences, industrial technology, broadcasting, technology, and the arts. Backed by small class sizes, invested professors, and strong community, it's hard to beat the level of engaged education you find at UW-Platteville. The university is big enough to feel you weren't dropped in the middle of a cornfield but small enough to feel like you know everyone. Hailing from a town of over a million the transition to a small college and town was at first terrifying and felt limiting. After a few months, it was empowering and fun, to not be a number but felt I belonged and had an impact. The college, Platteville and surrounding towns offered a number of hidden gems and activities. You are guaranteed to find something fun to do no matter what your flavor.

Raven

I truly enjoy being a student at UW-Platteville. The campus is small enough that you can walk to all your classes. All of my professors are helpful and easy to approach. I've even been able to try some new things like fencing! While the surrounding city may not have a lot, it does have the essentials and it a nice place to explore. So far my time at UW-Platteville has been wonderful and I look forward to my next couple of years here.

Zach

It is a very beautiful school overall. It has it's pro's and con's. The professors are very helpful and always seem to be willing to help, which surprised me due to the low cost of tuition. The community as a whole is pretty go-with-the-flow. It's common nick name is "PVegas" (original party school of the UW system) and it's reputation as a party school has not dwindled. However, as prominent as parties are, people aren't going to force you to go, and people will not force you to do drugs. There are plenty of people on campus that do not do drugs, so you will not be outcast if you are against that. They have superb academia for the cost, and the school is located in a small college town, making buying the essentials easy to any student. The dining services are great, the campus is relatively large for the population, but all educational buildings are within a five minute walk of one another. Word from the wise, unless you would enjoy a daily 20 minute hike to class, and a 20 minute walk back to your dorm, don't stay in roundtree. It is one of the nicest dorms on campus, but it is very far from all other buildings. Try to avoid any traditional dorms that haven't been renovated as well. If you plan on coming here, it is a very nice school.

Alissa

Most classes are relatively small, which allows for great one-on-one time with professors. There are many groups/organizations to choose from on campus. Professors vary but I have found that most are very willing to help students. The campus is large with several food options and many residence halls. Tuition is cheaper than many other schools and textbooks can be rented straight from the school bookstore. However, the school is known for its party scene and sometimes feels more male dominated. Despite this, the campus provides a laid-back yet engaging educational experience. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Lindsay

This college is fantastic! The town is a little small and sometimes boring, but that is only incentive to work harder. Job opportunities are plenty and most of the teachers are nice, all of them are good at what they do. The campus feels extremely safe and has a very insistent policy on acceptance of everyone. It also has every facility you can imagine, as well as plenty of tutoring and mentoring opportunities. If you are looking to be an engineering or criminal justice major this is absolutely the place to be.

Katelyn

The campus overall is very welcoming and inclusive. It can be a challenge to find fun things to do in the area at first, but with the right group of people, every night is a good one. Class size is relatively small, which makes for more help as well as one-on-one time with professors.

Jordan

It is an amazing college and satisfies all the needs of students. The resources provided by the college is spectacular, and the college offers so many ways to interact with other students. It is an incredible environment and I would recommend this college to students in the area.

University of Wisconsin-Platteville is a great college. It has a wide variety of sports and clubs, as well as a focus on academics. The professors are willing to help in any way possible and there is also tutoring and help by peers if you are having problems in a class. The campus is very safe and has a welcoming atmosphere.

Matt

I think UW Platteville is very much a "get what you pay for" sort of deal. Yes, they have reasonably strong academics, but they're (at this point) the cheapest state school in Wisconsin, and it shows. I'll start by saying that I transferred from a much larger school focused on the same degree and that I've been to events, camps, and workshops at other schools, so I think I have a fairly credible viewpoint. There are new buildings, and a very nice multi-million dollar football stadium (we're D3), however I don't see money being put into much else. Specifically, I'll say that a lot of the STEM equipment and labs are dinosaurs and do very little to expose students to what they'll be seeing in the field, much less give them a leg up. Compared to engineering departments at other universities, some of it is pretty embarrassing. The other glaring example of a lack of funding is student life. To be fair, Platteville is more or less in the middle of nowhere, but if you were to ask any student who isn't a local what they do for fun, you will almost certainly be met with a blank stare. To my knowledge, there's a frisbee golf course on campus and a hill outside of town that people climb and that's the extent of it. As far as any real events and organizations - they're mostly led by students and friend groups with little to no affiliation or funding through the school. I have not been thrilled by a lot of the engineering faculty, although there are a few standouts. I would guess that a big reason for this is the school budget as well as the fact that Platteville is not a research school. This is speculation of course. There are some fantastic professors in other departments, such as the Industrial Sciences and a few of my general education required classes. I've not at all been impressed with the Humanities departments, which seems to be an echo chamber. Please bear in mind that I've mostly been exposed to the STEM track. I will also give Platteville credit for their foundry - I know a lot of kids get some very good experience in the metals program and are sought out in industry. At the end of the day students here will get their degree without getting into inordinate loans, but will not be as challenged or experienced as their peers at other universities, and will, in my estimation, have lost out on a lot of the socializing and activities that I believe are a very valuable part of college life.

Kristin

Overall, I think the University of Wisconsin-Platteville is a great college. It is nice and small, and very easy to get around. I am very happy that I chose to go here. I am very excited for What my future holds at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

Jaynie

The University of Wisconsin Platteville is an incredible school, they have offered numerous opportunities to myself, both my older sisters, and my brother-in-law. All of us pursuing different degrees Agriculture, Science, Engineering, and Music had wonderful experiences with Platteville. The campus is beautiful, people are generally very nice, professors are usually very accommodating, and there are many campus resources available. I highly recommend Platteville to any future college student it is a wonderful school and community.

Melanie

Platteville is academically a great place to learn and understand the information you need to succeed. No college is absolutely perfect, Platteville has its flaws. There is a big problem with underage drinking and vaping on campus and in the surrounding city. The surrounding houses Off-Campus have parties almost every weekend and most Thursday nights. This college is socially known as a suitcase college. Other than those social flaws, the academics are great and the professors really care about your education.

Camryn

It's very much a little community. Everything is walking distance and the campus has a very safe a friendly feel. Being in Wisconsin, it does get very cold, so you need to bundle up for the walk to class! But classes are generally smaller than other Universities which makes is much easier to get one on one time with teachers. It's a great school.

Nickolas

University of Wisconsin-Platteville is a rural school with a male majority student body. Small class sizes allows for one-on-one time with teachers. Campus is large with many different residence halls to choose from. Did you know Bo Ryan used to coach here?

JULES

It is one of the best known school for my major. I like the small class size. I like that the school is away from my home but not to far away but a distance away so I can start my next adventure. Everyone is willing to help and support each other. I like how each dorm hall is know for different groups for example, first year learning group and women and wellness group.

Felicia

It's a nice school for small town kids that want something bigger and big city kids that want something smaller. The size is very nice as there's never too many or too few students per class and professors are always accessible. The culture on campus is - overall - surprisingly welcoming to people of all types.

Emma

University of Wisconsin-Platteville is overall a very safe feeling atmosphere. They provide plenty of opportunities to get involved on campus and provide clubs with multiple ways to spread word about themselves. The only thing I wish was different was the amount of activities that are available during the weekend, there's not much happening during them.

ian

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is a phenomenal place for higher learning. The professors get to know each student by name, and really care not only about their success, but their emotional status too, always making sure everyone is in the right place. The campus is absolutely wonderful, no matter what season is brewing outside. There will always be a new space to discover on campus that is more beautiful than the next, and squirrels are a happy bunch too. Food on campus is plentiful, with many options to choose from like the all-you-can-eat buffet to the food court style student center. The two Starbucks on campus and the Jamba Juice also give a jolt of energy to exhausted students. Not having to buy textbooks is a real perk. Instead of paying thousands of dollars each year for text books that may never be read, paying less than $80 a semester to rent them is a real bargain.

University of Wisconsin Platteville offers a beautiful, affordable campus that also has excellent staff. Small class sizes and a plethora of outreach study programs allow students to know they are cared for personally by the University. The friendly atmosphere makes being involved in the community effortless. Platteville has been a wonderful place to invest my future.

Zachariah

The University of Wisconsin accepts anybody and everybody, and as a result they dumb down classes. It makes some classes painfully boring for some. Also, management of the university is pretty bad. A female professor tried to report unwanted sexual advances by a male colleague towards his students, but reporting it got her fired for "breaking the trust of her colleagues." It's really shady.

Bryce

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville overall is a decent college if one wants to focus on their studies due to the location, and size of Platteville. Platteville doesn't have everything, but this minor setback allows for students to become more dependent on the professors, which overall allows for a better foundation of their knowledge in said subject. Platteville will prepare students for the future, and gives a decent foundation on what companies are looking for in students.

Emilee

It's a diverse group of people. Ag, Cj, engineering, education, and even art majors can be found interacting with one another. If drinking and parties are something you're worried about, they typically happen off campus and aren't distracting, a student can easily go through college without feeling forced into attendance or even knowing much about the greek life. Greek life on campus is rather professional and they positively interact with students.

Daniel

In all honesty, this is a wonderful campus. There are tons of different clubs and organizations to be a part of, and they're are plenty of opportunities to get your name out to professional companies if you're looking at entering into a career or internship.

Carole

It is a nice University. The professors are really nice and helpful. If you are having trouble with a class, there are a variety of resources available to help such as on campus free tutoring, and professors all have respective office hours to utilize. There is not much to do nearby, so if you don´t have a car or are under 21, weekends can get a bit boring because you are stuck on campus.

Ieva

I like Platteville because they have my major Early Childhood Development and have great programs for it. Also I like campus, seems very big but if I would end up going there I’m sure I could get use to it. There’s one thing also I love about this university, it has many international students who end up like me and trying to fit in and work the way up to future plans.

JaLynn

Overall its an alright campus. You're sure to find friends and be able to find a myriad of clubs and events to enjoy and attend, and though there's a bit of a drinking culture its easy to avoid if you stay away from the off-campus party houses. The professors can be a bit hit or miss, I've had fantastic professors who have challenged me and taught me so much in my field and I've had professors leave a bit to be desired. Also, the politics of the campus administration lean to one side and do not quite reflect the beliefs on the students, who are fairly moderate and evenly spread in their beliefs. The campus is located in a safe area and campus police and city police work hard to ensure that everyone feels safe on and off campus.

Payton

I think it is a great school. I chose this school because it is a great engineering school in Wisconsin. It has good class sizes so that someone can actually ask questions. Living on campus is nice and being able to exercise in a facility that has been recently renovated is very nice. I enjoy being here.

mercades

University of Wisconsin-Platteville at Baraboo Sauk County, formerly known as University of Wisconsin-(Baraboo/Sauk County) is in rural Wisconsin, leading me to believe that is it over looked by many students searching to further their education. Although this campus is often not a primary option or comparable to some of the other University of Wisconsin campuses, this campus still glistens as a “diamond in the rough” in the gorgeous bluffs of Devil’s Lake and surrounding area. Choosing the right school is a very big choice for all individuals, any many of the “pros” and “cons” must be considered in the decision-making process. Unfortunately, the athletics department struggles as there is seemingly a lack of interest from the student body. Due to most students being local, they tend to hold full-time jobs and live off campus therefore, making regular involvement in sports difficult. The campus also lacks the ability to offer different potential Bachelor’s Degree. The positive side of this is you may transfer to any four-year school after completing your associate’s degree. I personally took advantage of the ability to transfer credits to be able to complete a Bachelor’s Degree. University of Wisconsin-Platteville at Baraboo Sauk County offers dorms (Villas) that are up-to-date and are fully furnished available for any students whom are not local or choose to live on campus rather than at home. One of the many highlights of UW Platteville is the amazing professors. The professors and staff are always there to assist when needed. There is a study room in the main corridor that is always filled with students and staff. If need be, they will offer one on one study to help you learn the material. The professors enjoy teaching with a passion and take pride of their students learning the material. The dining options at UW Platteville at Baraboo Sauk County are considerably limited in comparison to other campuses. There is a kitchen with good food however, the times it is open is limited. On the other hand, the good thing about such a small campus, is that you can easily leave, eat food, and be back by the time the next class starts. Baraboo and the surrounding areas offer a variety of foods ranging from local diners to typical fast foods. Furthermore, there are plenty of clubs throughout each semester, so finding a club or a group that strikes an interest is relatively easy. Clubs allow you to meet the student body and faculty that also share the same interest. The student body is very inviting and accepting. If you have any questions about where to go, what to do, or even a problem in the homework, you can turn to the nearest person and they will be more than willing to help you step in the right direction. The classes are mixed with traditional students and non-traditional students which makes this campus unique and adds to the value of the experience. Personally, that is what I liked most because I was a non-traditional student and was nervous about being surrounded with students right out of high school, however, I felt welcomed. The campus itself offers plenty of outdoor activities ranging from a Disc Golf Course, Tennis, Soccer, Hiking trails, and even a basketball hoop. Inside they offer, basketball court, volleyball court, recreational gym, and a dance studio. Also, there are many options to go hiking off campus with Baraboo Bluffs and Wisconsin River being in very close proximity. Overall, this campus has made a positive impact on my life and future and I highly suggest it to anyone looking to start their college degree at a welcoming and cozy campus.

Nico

Overall, UW-Platteville is a good school. As far as academics, They have alot of free available resources on campus that offer help if you need it. If you're looking to have fun, there are plenty of ways to do that as well ranging from just hanging out with friends in the student center or one of the many cafeterias on campus, to the beginning of year events and going out on the weekends. Regardless of your interests, you will be able to find something for you at UW-Platteville. In need of health services? Platteville is awesome when it comes to helping out students, they have a student health center right on campus and most things are cheaper than going to see a doctor. The one thing that I wish they would change is the parking. There is limited parking for on campus resident hall students.

Joseph

Some of the facilities are outdated including the on-campus housing. The food is okay but overall. The campus and surrounding area is beautiful and great for biking. The class sizes are small which allow you to have a more personal experience with your professor who are always available if you need help. The university is well-known for its engineering, but is good for other majors. While the city is small it has everything you need including a neat downtown area with bars and restaurants. There are parties and drinking but nothing excessive. The campus is very safe and have never had an issue myself or heard of any major issue. The university hosts lots of events free to students. The university also has its own textbook library so you don't have to buy/rent your own. Overall, it is a great college.

Kennaniah

Platteville is a great hands on school, known for Engineering mostly. If you're looking for a cheap school with a good ROI Platteville is the place to go. With small class sizes all professors know you by name and it is easy to find them outside of class. It is a college town though so during summer and breaks it is a ghost town.

Justin

University of Wisconsin-Platteville is a small campus that has a nice, hometown feel. Classes are small so the professors can help out when you need it. A lot of the professors know their students names and they are usually very easy to find during their office hours. Overall, UW-Platteville is a great school.