Vassar College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Vassar College

Jade

I have a high opinion of Vassar College. This school is very generous with its scholarships. I work with the food places on campus, and the food we have is so diverse and delicious, we make sure that everyone has options. We also are warmly welcomed to the local eateries just outside the school\'s gates. The library is only closed from twelve in the morning to seven in the morning. Our school lets us access so many great musicals, plays, and lectures with well-known people in the academic and artistic worlds. The liberal, progressive environment of the school really makes me feel safe and secure.

Thedita

Everybody is very friendly and the professors are awesome.

Julia

Acts real woke but isn't!! There are cool people here but also nasty sports cliques who say awful things. The administration pretends to be there for low income/first gen students but doesn't do anything to support them. If you are low income/first gen DEFINITELY sign up with transitions, they are your friend. Production department in film is very lax, you're going to have to hold YOURSELF to the standard of what you want to become. The school, especially film, is white-dominated. POC spaces are limited, but you can find them. LGBTQ center was disappointing, they have said some really problematic things. There are still LGBTQ+ folks on campus who are cool, though. Academic accommodations are easy to get if you have a diagnosis from an outside physician, which you may be able to get through Vassar's insurance. Going abroad is not supposed to be more expensive than any other sem, but because you can't do student employment, it really is. Be wary of that! Student employment in general is good, although some profs just won't give you enough hours. Try to reach out to other students before applying if you can. There's a big "I'm sooooo busy!" culture, so get ready to pretend to be even more swamped than you actually are. Don't feel pressured to take on more than you want to!

tyana

I really like this school because my older sister went in like 2014 and the campus of the school is very green and beautiful. their graduation was very beautiful and emotional I really do wish I can attend the school after I graduate because it would make my family proud

Vassar College is an amazing institution with wonderful facilities and teachers. Professors are quite engaging with their students in and outside of the classroom, willing to help you with the class itself and your major. The environment of the campus is very welcoming and provides many opportunities to people of color!

Guila

Very impressed with the caliber of teaching here and the academic rigor. You have the choice here to study a lot or not study as much, without the peer pressure. And most people do put in quite a bit of an effort. There's people in the library all the time, even on Fridays. And the library here is to die for I have yet to seen a more beautiful library OR campus. Except during winter. It's ugly af during the colder season and there's not much to do off campus because Poughkeepsie is Poughkeepsie. However, Vassar sometimes feels like a very high quality prep academy where you learn a ton about anything you want and it is a great platform to pursue further education. A lot of people I know consistently get admitted into top phd or masters degrees at Harvard, Yale, and MIT.

Emma

I chose Vassar college for its rigorous academics, and beautiful campus. The school met all of my academic needs during my first year and I will be returning this fall. The only thing I have a problem with at Vassar is the student body. The campus is politically polarized to the left, which can interfere with daily life more than one might think. It became exhausting even after a few weeks of living there. The students are extremely aggressive and abrasive when it comes to politics. I came in as an excited liberal who wanted to have meaningful discussions. Instead I was lectured about why I was an awful person for eating a burger or how I was going to steal from the poor by becoming an economics major. I’ve run into many of these pretentious students who formulate counter arguments before I even have a chance to speak. If anything, I completely avoid political conversation and now find myself walking on eggshells to prevent myself from offending anyone. Vassar prides itself on promoting an open minded and accepting campus through it’s engaged pluralism initiative, but simply fails when people disagree or when there is an unpopular opinion. Students have been physically attacked for supporting certain candidates, sports groups have been generalized as racist or rapey based on stereotypes, and students of certain backgrounds shamed for having certain privileges. At Vassar, it is almost a competition to be the most oppressed in society and there’s constant reminder of everything your doing wrong by existing. As someone who was excited to be part of various social movements, I was very disappointed by this behavior. The student body at Vassar exposes how even the most open minded can be shamefully ignorant and hypocritical. Vassar needs to address these issues if it wants to successfully have difficult conversations, be taken seriously by the world, and properly prepare its students to face people with different opinions. As of now, the school fosters an environment or should I say “bubble” of hypersensitive students with unrealistic expectations and victim complexes.

Jens

Vassar isn't perfect. Yet, it is the imperfections that have broadened my education. Like most east-coast, expensive institutions, Vassar is a predominantly white campus. And as a student of color, this can be challenging and exhausting. Yet, what I've found, as that this experience is not just making me a more passionate activist, but has strengthened my bond to my race and ethnicity. I feel prouder to be black here. On another note. I will say that my least favorite part of Vassar is its isolation. Poughkeepsie is a fairly large city, but there is not a lot going on.

James

Vassar is a very diverse campus with more things to do then I have time for. I am always feeling that I need to cut back on things, even though I still want to join a theater group and maybe even a comedy group. The teachers here are able to answer almost any question, and if how they are explaining it to you doesn't make sense, they have five other ways of describing it which will definitely help you understand. I have met some of the most friendly and accepting people here. I never realized how nice people could be until I came to Vassar.