Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

I love Virginia Tech. The best part of being a Hokie is the community- Hokie Nation. Hokies are all over and all supportive of our school, and each other. We help not only one another, but our community, nation, and world. Virginia Tech is an extremely close-knit group of people who carry and live out our motto Ut Prosim- That I May Serve- both on campus and everywhere in the world. This is the most supportive group of people I have encountered and I am proud and blessed to be able to be a Hokie. The only thing I'd change about Virginia Tech is how the school handles lower-level math courses. There is a separate, easy-to-get-to off-campus building called the math Emporium, pr the "Empo." The Empo is filled with 537 Mac computers, and that's where students go to do their self-taught calculus courses. For those who are mathematically inclined, it's a piece of cake. For others- like me- it just really sucks having to go off campus and try to teach yourself business calculus. Not fun, But, it's really easy to find help, so it isn't always as terrible as some make it to be. Virginia Tech has around 28,000 undergrads- which seems like an incredibly large number- but it has never felt like that to me at all. It's the perfect size. Lane Stadium fills up quickly with thousands of Hokie fans, there are always new people to meet, but you'll get involved and start meeting everybody and then campus will feel like the perfect size. When I tell people I go to Virginia Tech, they're usually impressed- unless they have anything to do with the University of Virginia. Then I'm just a lowly rival. Otherwise, Virginia Tech has an excellent reputation for being a great school full of good, smart people. Personally, most of my time spent on campus is in my room, but that's just because I live in a really nice upperclassmen dorm. Otherwise, I can be found in the student center hanging out or doing homework, the gym having fun in fitness classes, or in the dining halls eating Tech's award-winning food. Unlike many other schools, Virginia Tech's dining hall food is in the top 5 in the nation. Yes- it is good. Blacksburg, VA is very much a college town. Aside from Tech and a couple surrounding neighborhoods, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. But no fear- downtown Blacksburg is practically attached to campus, Christiansburg with shopping and lots of restaurants is 10 minutes away, and Roanoke is a mere 50 minutes away. All of these places are accessible through the Blacksburg bus system. You can also bring your own car-even as a freshman- if you'd like. Blacksburg itself is made up of primarily Virginia Tech students. There is a lot to do; restaurants and unique shopping on the downtown mall, the Lyric movie theater, a Farmer's market for fresh fruit, and lots of hiking and amazing outdoor activities. The biggest controversy on campus was the shooting of a Tech police officer. This event, unfortunately, gained a lot of unwanted publicity for Tech, especially after the April 16, 2007 shootings. Again though, all Hokies rallied together- both at school in Blacksburg and around the nation- to heal and respect our fallen officer and Hokies. In spite of all this, Virginia Tech has the most school pride of any school I have ever experienced. Orange and Maroon- a ghastly color combination to some but beloved to us- is what you'll see nearly every Hokie dressed in every day. I have never experienced a lack of school spirit at Tech. Virginia Tech was founded as a military school back in 1872. Throughout the years, Tech has kept its military background and it continues to be a big part of who we are. The Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets is the main military presence on campus. Cadets wear uniforms everyday and live a strict military lifestyle, while getting a top-notch education. They attend the same courses as civilians and everything and are always around. This is a really unique aspect of Tech. Plus, it's always nice to see men in uniform on a daily basis. The most frequent student complaints are about the difficulty of finding a parking spot on campus (true but not impossible) and of Blacksburg's cold, windy weather. It is fondly called "Bleaksburg" during the winter months, but that has never distracted from campus's beauty or the students' love for Tech.

The best thing about this school is the support and love you get from fellow Hokies anywhere you go. Everyone who goes here has such love and support for the campus, peers, and faculty. We are like one unit, sort of like a family. There is more school pride than you can imagine! -Although VT is considered a big campus, it doesn't feel TOO big. I remember this was a concern at first for me, but now that I am here it feels just right. The campus is a good size and it is easy to get to classes from wherever you are. The dining halls are EXCELLENT! It is something you hear about often on campus. We have dining halls that offer anything from lobster, to sushi, to steak, to sandwiches, soups, and salads. NUMBER ONE IN THE NATION FOR FOOD! YUM! There are a lot of students but this isn't reflected in class sizes once you get into your major/minor field. Most of my classes are around 20 people which allows for interaction with other students and the professor which I like. At first, in my general classes, I had up to 550 students in my class, which I didn't like, but it gets better once you select a certain field of study. --The only complaint I really hear from students is about how cold it is during the winter. I would definitely suggest purchasing some warm clothing for the winter months! It does get pretty cold in the mountains. It is definitely worth it thought to go to such a beautiful and well liked campus! -- another thing I love about VT is the concern professors have for students to do well. It is apparent that professors know what they are talking about and want you to do well. They are there to help you and teach you. That is one thing I love. It is apparent that most professors have a passion for teaching and enjoy teaching you. In high school, a lot of the time I wondered why teachers were even there, because they seemed miserable teaching us; however, that is NOT the case at VT. Every professor I have had has appeared to love what they are teaching, and the teaching itself.

Upon first arriving at Virginia Tech, I was unsure if this was truly the place for me. Sure, it was academically revered, affordable, and close to home, but was this really the school I belonged at? However, after only my first month on the beautiful campus, I soon fell head-over-heels with the school. Upon arriving in Blacksburg, your greeted by a beautiful campus nestled in the Appalachian Mountains, fully decked out in "hokie-stone", a beautiful stone used on almost all academic buildings. But the university is much, much more than aesthetics. Professors are extremely knowledgeable, and if a student is ever confused, they will graciously answer your question or point you towards help. Speaking of help, VT offers more help academically than you could imagine; almost all classes have help sessions offered every week, along with departments offering help sessions and tutoring at no cost. No matter your subject of choice, there will be someone to assist you if you don't fully understand. But once academics are done, what's next you ask? Perhaps food? Virginia Tech has been nationally ranked within the top 5 Dining Halls in the entire United States. We have 5 main dining halls, with a few smaller food shops in between. I can promise you that no matter what kind of food you are looking for, you will find it here, and it will be absolutely delicious. Just ask the students eating fresh lobster at the "West End" dining hall. VT also hosts an incredible amount of clubs. Virginia Tech offers more clubs than you could imagine, ranging from various sport clubs, to distinct hobbies and interests, to even a real Harry Potter Quidditch Club. How cool is that? And if clubs aren't enough, there is always something to do if you plan on going out on the town. Downtown Blacksburg has many bars and esteemed restaurants that older students frequent. Virginia Tech is a school that has everything, and there is no reason.

I went to Virginia Tech because I fell in love with the school when I was twelve years old. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and the entire town of Blacksburg revolves around it. Blacksburg, though small, is a cute, fun little college town where there's always something going on. Even though the student body is huge (32,000 including grad students), it's easy to feel at home. I loved the feel of being at a huge school, with the busy, bustling dining halls and jam-packed football games, but as an English major, I was in a relatively small department, where everybody knew everybody, so I didn't feel like I was just a number to my professors. I'm from North Carolina, so I didn't know many people from home who went to Tech. Every time I came home decked out in orange and maroon, my friends always gave me a hard time because it was all I wore. When a friend of mine visited me at Tech, as we were walking around campus, she looked around and said "Whoa...EVERYONE is wearing Tech sweatshirts!" The school pride at Tech is absolutely indescribable, especially during football season. The most frequent complaints I hear are about how crowded the dining halls are, and how horrible parking is. Parking on campus is impossible, and they love to ticket and tow around there. If you live on campus you have to keep your car in the Cage, a parking lot half a mile from the dorms, and when you live off campus, you're better off just taking the bus or riding your bike.

I can't speak highly enough about the spirit of Virginia Tech. Most people are aware of the difficulties the students body and rest of the Hokie Nation have been through. What many don't know or understand is how resilient our community is, and just how close the Hokies are. Even though Tech has such a large student population, it still doesn't feel too big. The campus is concentrated, so you still get the close knit feeling you would at a small school. Blacksburg is a complete college town, which makes game days awesome! Seeing an entire town supporting your school only strengthens our Hokie Pride. I spend most of my time when on campus in Torg Bridge, where students go to study, or read in a quiet place. It is also connected to the library so you can grab research books and go straight to the Bridge to get started on work, papers, and exams! Something unusual about Tech? The spirit. There's nothing like it, and it becomes clear soon after moving into Freshman dorms; especially with all the student athletes carrying your stuff from your car into your new dorm room! To get a taste of the Hokie Spirit, just go watch the Enter Sandman entrance at any Hokie Football game, and then imagine jumping right along with us!

A lot of people are hesitant about attending Tech because of its size; it intimidates them; they feel as though they’ll be lost in the crowd. Tech’s size can’t be disputed. It is a big school. However, that works to its advantage. Yes, some of the core/lower level classes are large. But once you get into major-specific courses or upper level courses, the classroom size becomes smaller and the teaching becomes student-specific. For example: the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences (CLAHS). Within the college, each major forms around the student’s needs because—though Virginia Tech as a university is large—each major is small and tight-knit. The students have wonderful opportunities to work with Professors on research outside or inside the classroom. In this way, students get the feel of a small college within the setting of a large university—that’s Tech’s biggest advantage. As far as complaints, I believe most students would agree that parking is pretty bad on campus. Not that there’s a lack of it; quite the opposite: there’s an abundance of parking it’s just spread throughout the campus. This sometimes makes for quite a walk. Of course, a little exercise never hurt anyone, right?

Virginia Tech is a large school with a small feel. The 27,000 students become one student's 26,999 friends. Each student brings a warm, welcoming smile and attitude to campus every day, for a Hokie would do anything for a fellow Hokie. The astounding school spirit unites the student body, especially every Saturday of fall semester, when the entire campus excitedly stampedes into Lane Stadium together to watch our football team conquer a new team, as one big family affair. The surrounding town is filled with orange and maroon students, parents, adults, alumni, and friends. Each restaurant, store, and shopping center supports Virginia Tech and thrives on the students and the community they create. In return, these venues and owners happily support students year-round. The bright smile and positive feedback I receive from others each time I mention I attend Virginia Tech is intriguing. I am constantly praised for my attendance at Virginia Tech, for merely anyone would enjoy such a positive environment, prestigious academia, and intelligent network of professors and peers. If I could do it again, I would do it the same.

This school is the BEST. Hokie pride is everywhere. You can be across the country sporting your Hokie tshirt and from across the way you will here "Go Hokies!" This is the most friendly campus you will find. We hold doors open and smile at others. We have outstanding athletics and superior academics. The scenery is breathtaking. The only thing I would change is the chilly, windy winters. Our school is large in numbers; however, has a small town feel--we are a college town and a small town in one. Though you do not recognize everyone on campus, you feel at ease with them. Most of my time spent on campus is at our exemplar gym. My favorite thing to do is attend group exercise classes, specifically Zumba. Our gym has enthusiastic instructors and classes going all day. The cardio machines even have personal televisions so I can workout while catching up on my favorite shows. Though I may choose the gym, alot of people would select a dining hall--we are ranked in the top of the country. From all you care to eat D2 to dining on lobster at West End, we have all you could imagine.

I think the main complaint from people who have not attended Virginia Tech is that the school is too big. In my opinion, that is its biggest strength. No matter what school you go to, it is only as big or small as you make it. If you sit in the back of a 200 person class and sleep through class, you will receive no less attention than if you sat in the back of a 20 person class. However, if you go see your teachers and get to know them, school might as well be a private tutoring session in which you get all of the attention you need. Sure your freshman classes will be big, but once you declare a major you will notice that class sizes get significantly smaller, and that by the end of the first week, teachers will know you by name. I came from a high school where my graduating class was only 100 people. I thought coming from that to Virginia Tech would require a significant adjustment, but it really didn't. Every single teacher at this school wants you to succeed and, if you take advantage of the many resources they put at your disposal, you can't fail.

I love the campus lay out, and how everything is centered around the drill field. I think the size is just right, if anything maybe a little too big. Recent controversy includes what to do about students being hit by cars - use and location and abidance of crosswalks as well as drivers yielding to pedestrian right of way. I spend most of my time in Squires and GBJ. I have a high opinion of the administration. I deal a lot with the Rec Sports office and they are all wonderful. Those I have dealt with in the office of Student Affairs and the Multicultural Affairs have also been great to work with. The complaints I hear most from other students has to do with the lack of environmental efforts put forth by the university. Students, self included, would like to see more recycling and less use of wasteful materials in dining halls.