Lexington, VA
Washington and Lee University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Washington and Lee University

Ethan

I am well on my way to earning my Masters degree, which is my ultimate education goal. I have also learned what our society considers valuable and I have used that to strengthen my personal convictions and to become more solid and firm in my critical thinking skills area. In addition, I have learned how to interact with different kinds of people and how to live in peace with all who are around me. I hope to get a well-paying job in the future to support whatever family I have, and I want to be a source of growth and prosperity so that everyone around me and with me will see the benefits of hard work and will be encouraged to do the same to achieve their maximum potential as we all strive together to live out the American dream and help our country continue to be the greatest nation on earth. Going to this college has helped me learn just what kind of work that will entail, and I am now confident to the utmost that I will be able to meet any challenges that I encounter on my way to academic success.

Haley

I have realized how much I do not know by going to college. I came from a small town in Colorado and thought that since I had good grades, played sports, worked, and was involved in the community that I had life figured out for the most part. From the moment I arrived at Washington and Lee University, I was challenged by my new friends from all different backgrounds to view the world differently. My professors are brillant and I am often frustrated by the time constrants of classes; there is so much I have yet to learn in each subject. My college experience has been eye opening.

The school is very homegenous in what student like to do on weekends (partying), it is hard to find others who want to go into the nearby mountians or do outdoor activities.

How huge the greek scene is. To get the full "college experience" at Washington and Lee, one HAS to join a frat or srat.

Laura

When I graduated high school I was so sure of where I was headed. I was positive I didn't want to go to college, instead, I had my heart set on moving to NYC and becoming a dancer for broadway. Now, almost three years and an A.A. degree later, I realize just how wrong I was. Living the dream in NYC would've been wonderful, but not very realistic. When my mom mentioned to me to go to Seminole State College of Florida for two years I decided to give it a shot . Once I was enrolled, I quickly grew fond of the experience. It was nothing like highschool, instead, I had freedom and I knew it was my responsibility to go to class, take notes, study Etc. My first year in college I had straight A's, something that had never happened in any of my high school years. I began taking pride in my work and began to experience a feeling of accomplishment. Attending college has put my life in perspective, I understand how important it is to have an education and I cannot wait to enroll in August to continue this journey.

Vijoleta

I have learned many new things throughout my freshman year in college. I have learned how to complete a wonderful essay and also I have learned to organize my material logically. College has been very valuable to me because not only I can use my education for myself but also I can help people all around the world which was my desire ever since I was little.

The school has a very friendly enviroment that makes you feel at home. It is located in a quiet serene enviroment that is conduicive for studying. The lecturers are friendly and most of them have an open door policy, making them accessible to students. The school has an honour code that all students adhere to, and is governed by students. This means that students themselves police their own conduct which gives them a sense of fraternity.

The cost of attending is very high. The school is also located in a very small town and finding activities to do in town is a challenge, as the town does not have many activities going on. There is no mall in town, so one has to travel 60 miles south or north to get much needed items, unless one wants to settle for walmart.

I now appreciate more working as part of a team. At Washington and Lee, you are always part of a team. Further, becase of the small size of the school, I have been able to form lifelong relationships with fellow students. Again, most law schools have a cutthroat competiveness that brings in alot of tension. At washington and Lee, students are respectful to their peers as well as their professors. This is despite the competitive nature of the school's class ranking system. This has also made me learn that one can be agressive in achieving what they want, without necessarily making those that are around you uncomfortable. My college experience here will not only enable me get the skills I need to survive in a competitive job market, but also enjoy the experiences as they come.

Jared

If I went back in time I would take one look at myself in high school, stumbling and bumbling with armfulls of books or running off to a meeting, and think about how stressed I was as a high school senior. The success of getting into college was worth the work, but I could have gone about it a much different way. But instead of criticizing myself, I would thank myself. I would tell my old self that he is doing the right thing and that he has the right idea: work hard to get into college. But I would also tell him to consider his health and his sanity in the proccess. Getting into college is not an easy task. In fact, I would tell him, it is much harder than college itself. So work hard, I would say, but don't kill yourself. Narrow your focus and concentrate on five schools, not twenty! Take college level classes, but not so many that you end up with average grades in all of them. Do the work, but take time for yourself. College is all about finding balance.

You should attend Washington and Lee University if you are a motivated, intelligent, and amicable person. The Washington and Lee and Lexington community is for students of all backgrounds. It is a very intriguing area and full of fun places to go and sights to see. Students tend to come in from the upper classes of the Virginia region, but the school's diversity ensures that everyone is comfortable. So whatever your interest is and wherever you come from, you will certainly find a home at Washington and Lee.

Because there are students at Washington and Lee who come from the upper classes, there is a tendency of arrogance and apathy about the student body that can make it hard to get things done. Those students do not participate in fundraisers or charity events, and usually spend most of their time focusing on their personal goals. Not that personal goals are a bad thing, but it is leading to a lack of overall school spirit.

Maddison

Mostly I tell my friends about the amazing academics: the classes are small and the professors pay attention to your individual needs.

The worst thing about my school is the dominance of Greek life over social life here along with the importance of alcohol and going out to party.

Looking back I believe I would give my high school senior self the knowledge that pursuing and figuring out what interests you is the most valuable aspect of college. Instead of doing activites because they look good on a resume, do them because they make you happy. Take a little bit of time each day to do something that makes you smile whether its hanging out with your friends, reading a book for fun, or playing a friendly game with your classmates. Just doing schoolwork and concentrating on extra-cirrcular activities will weigh you down and you won't have fun. So have fun and enjoy yourself before heading out into the real world.

When you first arrive at college, it will appear to be the greatest place on earth to you, and although this may continue throughout your four years, do not let the huge parties cloud your vision. Like Mom always says, the most important thing to get out of your college experience is an education. School and studying should always come first, and if you are diligent enough to get everything done and handed in on time, that is when you can go out and party. Remember to always keep and open mind to new opinions and classes you never thought you would take. Weather you choose to go Greek or not, you will always make friends. Be true to yourself and never try to change who you are to impress someone; if they do not like the real you, then they are not a real friend. Join clubs that sound interesting, embrace the endless opportunities that college has to offer and never say you don't like something until you have tried it. The most important thing is to leave college having no regrets. Everything you do you should do it 100%, otherwise, what is the point?

The honor code here is unlike anywhere else. Since George Washington established the school in 1749, we uphold a very high standard of of integrity in that there is no lying, stealing, or cheating allowed. Being convicted of any of these results in automatic expulsion unless you would like to go up to the Student Judicial Committee and try to petition your conviction. Because of our honor code, students leave laptops, bags, and even shoes anywhere around campus without and fear of them dissapearing or being stolen. I believe this code is what makes Washington and Lee so very special.

So much of my school is centered around partying and Greek life. It is very hard for people who choose not to go Greek because almost 85% of students are in the Greek system. Parties happen every night and some kids party way too hard. These students often interfere with studying and make the school look bad in that aspect. I wish less emphasis was put on partying and more on how academically challenging it is to attend my school.

Jarrett

W&L has been around for a long time, and the traditions and history of this school give us a great reputation. Not everyone knows about this school, but the people who do are always impressed and are usually well off themselves. The alumni networkhttp://www.unigo.com/explorer/reviews/takethesurvey.aspx?collegeid=194#; of this school is awesome, and W&L folks look out for each other all across the US. The education students receive here is top notch, and the faculty are some of the best in their respective fields. Class sizes are small, so most professors know all their students by name and get to know them on a personal basis. Students also get to know each other well, because you're bound to run into people more than once at such a small school. Lexington isn't really a college town, but there's a bunch of great places to eat and some unique shops you won't find in a big city. There aren't any dance clubs or major bars in town so most partying is done off-campus. The big thing to remember is that a degree from this school carries a lot of weight with a lot of people. The students from this school go on to do great things in business, law, medicine, and politics.

Students here are generally good people, and most people are friendly and respectful. To clear the air, most students here are not racists. But a lot of students here don't know much about other races and other cultures, and this is not the place where that kind of learning is really gonna happen. This school is and always will be a predominantly white institution.

W&L is a great school, and regardless of your major or your race you'll probably do well in life with a degree from this university. Your experience here will vary based on the fraternity/sorority you join or don't join. Also, students that fit the school's stereotype will have an easier time adjusting here than students who don't fit the stereotype.

Just like any stereotype the ones at W&L have some truth to them. Many of the students here do fit that mold pretty well. However there are many students from states all along the east coast, the College Democrats have a solid presence on campus, and racial diversity is somewhat improving. I don't want to give the wrong impression though. The majority of the people here are White and well off.

Most professors are passionate about what they teach and definitely know their stuff. The classes are tough, and the workload is heavy most of the time. Fortunately the professors are great about being available through office hours and will answer any e-mail you send them. Since we're a liberal arts school we get to take a wide variety of classes outside our major. I think this school does a good job of preparing students for succesful careers while exposing them to subjects that provoke some deep thought. I'm an Econ major, but one of my most interesting classes here was a course in Acting. Generally though most classes are interesting, students are heavily involved in discussion, and everyone here works hard for good GPAs.

Greek Life is huge here. Period. Most students here go greek and the majority of the social life revolves around fraternitiy and sorority functions. The town and the school don't offer students much to do after 7:00 pm, so options are limited for students who don't go greek. There are "traditional" fraternity and sororiteis on this campus in addition to a few historically black fraternities and sororities. However, it is difficult for black greeks to maintain membership on this campus with such a small number of minorities. Most of their chapters are shared with other nearby colleges. In addition to Greek Life there are a bunch of great clubs and orginzations to get involved in. Whether you're intrested in politics, law, investment, the environment, human rights or whatever there is an organization on this campus that can feed your interests. There are tons of opporunites to lead and make important decisions, and usually funding for clubs that don't exist with enough interest.

W&L students are Southern, Republican, Wealthy and White.

Rebecca

Honestly, W&L has been perfect for me. I love the small class sizes, how accessible my professors are, all the clubs and activities, the campus, everything. I even love Lexington--it's no big city, but I'm okay with that. The three hours to DC really is reasonable, and I don't have to worry about parking!

Students are competitive, but not too competitive. The Honor System is alive and strong, though of course it has its bumps along the way, but that we can adapt and change because of it is what makes it so honorable. Students generally dress up for class--you won't see anyone in pajamas. There still are a lot of rich students, but it's a general mix of many backgrounds. Currently, there isn't a lot of diversity, but it's growing. Greek life is still a very big deal (about 75% of students are Greek), but its influence isn't always a bad thing since it's more inclusive than exclusive. Students aren't generally very political on campus, but if they are, they're more likely to be conservative than liberal.

The campus is definitely worth a visit in person, and try to stay overnight if you can pull it off. However, I didn't have the best impression my first visit, but it's only improved from there, especially once I started taking classes. Definitely consider it!

To a limited degree. Although many students at Washington and Lee do still come from the South and from wealthy families, the face of the campus is definitely changing. The new Johnson scholarship has welcomed a lot of smart and talented students from different backgrounds to our campus, but even before that, our campus was already changing. The Shepherd Program for the Study of Poverty and Human Capability plays an important role on campus. Because of the Shepherd Program, students are more committed to the community, demonstrated by student-run clubs such as the Nabors Service League and English for Speakers of Other Languages. So yes, to some extent the stereotypes are true. If you keep your mind closed, that's all you will see. However, our campus offers so much more.

The academic life may be my favorite part about W&L, though of course it's only a fraction of what the school has to offer. There are no TAs and professors always have their doors open to talk, and I've been to some of their houses for dinner. Yes, classes are very hard, but it's worth it.

Athletics are pretty popular on campus. And I'll admit that the party scene is very popular, but that doesn't mean drinking is the only thing to do. There a lots of different types of parties for whatever scene you like, and there is no pressure to drink. If you don't want to go out, there are movies every night and always some activity or another going on. I'll just say, I've never been bored in my four years.

White, rich, preppy, Southern, conservative, 100% Greek Smart students that like to play hard after they work hard = a lot of alcohol

Washington and Lee University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.