Lexington, VA
Washington and Lee University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Washington and Lee University

James

To a certain extent, yes--as at any competitive small school, there are lots of affluent kids, lots of preppy kids, competitive students. The Greek system is huge (despite the school's best efforts) and the party scene is popular. However, now more than ever, the student body is far from monolithic--diversity is increasing rapidly, and the "standard" W&L student--Southern or elite Northeastern prep, rich, fratty--while still there is no longer nearly as dominant.

Rich, stuck-up, preppy, hard-partyers, competitive.

Nico

The best thing about Washington and Lee is that you can meet professors during their office hours most of the time and, if not, you can arrange a meeting with them without any hassle. The school was too small for my personal tastes. I find that bigger and larger communities tend to have higher scales of competition and therefore better quality of people the higher the social stratosphere. How do people react when I tell them I’m from Washington and Lee? Well… it depends on the place. In Korea, when I tell people I’m from Washington and Lee University, they reply, “Ah, Washington University, that’s in D.C. (or Seattle) right?” I just shake my head and agree. In the Bible belt region (US), educated people recognize the name and associate it with a top tier school, likewise in the Northeast regions, but only in big cities. On campus I spend most of my time in classrooms or the gym. The rest of my time was spent at home or in my room. College town… well, Lexington had two bars when I went there I think they have three now. Most of the social scene happens in fraternity parties or extracurricular (non-alcoholic) events held by different organizations on campus. My opinion of the administration is mixed. The administration, as in non academic administrators only (which would exclude most professors), does what is in their best interests as any administration would do. Since everyone smiles a lot there it is hard to distinguish genuinely friendly and honest people and superficially friendly and dishonest people. The biggest recent controversy… well, one aspect that really appealed to me was that Washington and Lee has a student body hearing for any major judicial matter that might occur so most of it is public some others are private. However there are two catches to this. One is that you have to be socially active, by being in a frat or constantly read every weekly massive spam mails they send. Two, is that not every issue makes it to a student body hearing. From my perspective, a lot of “behind the doors” politics occurs that not everyone is allow to know about. There is a lot of school pride. Unusual? I guess it would depend on your perspective on things. I found the popularity of pink cloths amongst the males quite um… unusual. Don’t get me wrong, most girls can wear pink clothes and still be fashionable, and few guys can manage to pull it off every now and then. But I remember staggering home in a drunk one night seeing flocks of guys wearing very similar clothing all in pink. It’s a memory I’ll associate only with W&L parties and gay pride parades. Not that I have anything against either, but I would not go out of my way to join them. One experience I’ll always remember… ah… there were a few times I lost my wallet on campus. Most of the times the wallet was returned will all the money intact. It is a unique positive aspect of W&L, and maybe it’s a thing only found at W&L. What do students complain about… I don’t know. I what do students complain about? School work I guess?

Ugh… I don’t really want to go there unless you give me some incentive to do so. All I’ll say is that … well I need to think some more about this is that solely helping your website isn’t really that enticing. You want me to be honest, right? I’ll just leave this for others to fill out. It would depend on what kind of student you are… Males: Collared shirts, khaki pants or shorts, and flip-flops. Females: Sundresses and pearls. In the winter everyone wears Northface jackets. Sure, why not. At one table there are the athletes sitting in one group. There seems to have a sense of superiority to themselves as they all walk with some sort of subtle swagger. This is probably due to high testosterone levels mixed with a bit of the alpha-male syndrome, and the presence of the opposite sex who occasionally glance their way. At times, this group of people dress the same to promote their athletic group events while proudly sporting the W&L emblem. This group is predominately Caucasian and occasionally specked with a few African American athletes. They are usually segregated between males and females and never mix nor mingle during group feasting sessions. The next table is the international table and/or “independents” table (the term “independents” is the W&L slang for students who have not joined a fraternity or sorority regardless of nationality, race, or ethnicity). They hangout amongst themselves and have a few closely knit friends. They are a mixed bag or have a very specific common bond. It would be hard to describe a specific characteristic of this group as the characteristic vary widely and respectively with each different group. Simply put, it is a collage of people who are without any traditionally/institutionally-established, assertive groups. You can always find them in the dining hall during meal times. The third table is the fraternity table. This is a group of happy-go-lucky individuals, presumably always happy if not then superficially. This group is also predominately full of Caucasian and is also occasionally specked with minorities. This group is distinctive because all the guys dress alike and all the girls dress alike. Because there are several fraternities and different generalized characteristic of each fraternity, it is hard to say anything more than each side of the gender dress alike. The last table is the Resident Assistants and Peer Mentor table. They are always there. This group is always friendly, and always a mixed group of individuals. Some are in fraternities, some are independents, some are Teaching Assistants. However a common bond among all of them is that they are always junior, seniors, or older. Although they might be friendly and welcoming, there is always some kind of inexplicit barrier between them the few people who go to them in search for genuine friendship. Among these four different “tables” there is an occasional spotting of law students that quickly eat and leave. Despite the depiction of the “four tables” at a W&L dining hall, I have to admit I have always seen someone smiling or grinning there. Maybe not at me, maybe not everyone, but someone always seems to be enjoying themselves there whether employee, or student. Down South On the absolute scale I would say upper middle class, but in the end it’s all relative. Are the students politically aware? Maybe. Are they politically active? Yes. Mainly Republican, but I’m not sure why their Republican. I’m not sure they know why their Republican. I remember hearing that most professors at W&L are democrats while the students are predominately republicans. Whether this is true or not, I’m not sure. But I found this very amusing. How much they’ll earn in one day is really dependent on what major they are, how compliant they are and a bunch of other factors… I could write a thesis paper on this…

I’m not quite sure I want this to be published. My response to this is questionnaire has been honest, although perhaps not as in depth as it could have possibly been.

These stereotypes are roughly 70%-80% accurate.

The professors knew my name. I suppose it helped that most of the time I was the only Asian in my class, but nevertheless most classes are small enough that there is some kind of relationship between the students and professors that is built throughout the semester. My favorite class… I don’t know. I think would have rather just been given the reading assignments and have a one on one conversation about the specific topic with the professor. Least favorite classes were the introductory classes. How often do students study? I don’t know. Studying depends on the requirements for the class. Join a frat or sorority and get the inside information on how professors conduct their classes. It is a huge untold benefit of joining a fraternity or sorority, granted one goes out of ones way to join one (meaning going through pledgeship). Class participation depends on the class. W&L students, in my opinion, regurgitate what they hear without thinking twice about it. There was a comment from the Princeton Review (I think…) that said something like, “W&L students have a lot of intelligent students, but not very many intellectuals”. In my opinion, I felt this comment was not fair (whatever “fair” might be) because I found this comment true for most academic institutes. I’ve attended a class at Williams College (in MA), Seattle University (Summer), Harvard Summer Program, and Binghamton University (Fall). I think it would be safe to say that I’ve had the opportunity(?)/circumstance of getting a broader firsthand experience of the tertiary educational process. Students are competitive, some are cold hearted, others are friendly and beneficial. It’s a mixed bag, probably like most any other place. The most unique class I’ve taken at W&L was during my senior year during spring semester. Economics of Race and Ethnicity. I was the only Asian student in the class, no African American students, one Hispanic descent but looked Caucasian, and the rest was Caucasian. Just a coincidence? I think not, but if it was, it was quite a coincidence. This class did not have any text books. It had a great professor. All the required reading was from recent economic journal articles, and the homework was to systematically analyze the reading. Community service was required. My major was economics. The department... well it's ok. I'm not quite sure what you want to know. As far as my understanding goes "C-School", as it's called amongst the students, is comprised of Econ, Business, and Accounting Majors. I though the education I received was pretty good. Some professors are better than others. All professor are reachable, prompt in responses, and have time to meet with you after class. The academic requirements, well there are some policies that I don't understand why they are there, but I think the school's academic requirement is strongly influenced by the composition of the student population structure and "tradition". Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing is something you have to experience, and arguments that are based upon subjective, personal experiences are hard to rationally justify as "good arguments" (read derrida, or was it someone else... i forget). I'm not sure whether an W&L education is geared towards getting a job or learning for its own sake, but the way I think has been more theortical ever since.

Popular groups? Not sure except for fraternities and sororities. Intramurals sports always attracts a big crowd. What groups was I involved with. Let’s see I was a co-founder of PAACE, Pan-Asian American Cultural Exchange, but left after a year. Some of these groups are private get-together who asks the school for money so they can entertain themselves, which really defeats the purpose of the club’s title “Cultural Exchange”. Also, the other co-founders were leading this group in an direction that was exclusively for Asians and their close friends, which I found disagreeable. And finally what ticked me off the most was the president and vice-president of the club seemed to be bickering about whether it should be for Asians or Asian Americans. I suppose this is something that might happen in any newly founded club. I think there is a new leadership within the group that is directing PAACE in a more community orientated direction which is a good thing. The other group I was highly involved with was the boxing club. We made and sold t-shirts through a local t-shirt making company. Got together, exercised, and we hit each other every now and then. When someone got pretty good we’d muster up the courage to spar with the guys at Virginia Military Institute (VMI). Lots of fun. I think the boxing club was one of the most diverse club groups at W&L. We had boys, girls, undergraduates, law students, employees of the school, and people of all regions international and domestic. Despite all this involvement with the boxing club I still had to fulfill the requirement of taking 5 P.E. courses. I’m not sure what the reasoning behind that policy is… I’ve asked the administration before but they either look at me like I don’t know what I’m talking about or they say “tradition”. Yes, students in the dorms leave their rooms unlocked and sometimes open. It’s a very open but inclusive community, as long as you fit in. Athletic events seem very popular. Although I hear that most of the athletic groups in W&L are not that competitive within their respective rankings, except for tennis. I think. But all in all strong support for the athletic events can be seen as these events gives people something to talk about. Guest Speakers at W&L is probably one of the best aspects of W&L. There are some very interesting people that come to give lectures. Some speakers dumb down a topic for most people to understand which helps creates awareness while others talk about various issues that are really interesting, but at time they slyly inject their personal opinions which is inevitable I suppose. I thought that most politically involved speakers are either Republicans or from non-profit organizations. The arts at W&L left a lot be desired, in my opinion, but that is probably I’m comparing it to schools such as Parsons, RSDI, or SACI, so my opinion might be a bit biased on this one. Nevertheless, W&L has recently constructed a new building dedicated to the advancement of the arts and should have a better and improved arts department. Dating? What’s that? I’ve had a very solitary experience at W&L but that probably more due to the lack of enthusiasm on my part. This question should be referred to someone else. I guess I had two close friends since my freshman year. Other friends I’ve had during my freshman year stopped being close friends once we’ve found our niche at W&L. It seems to me that the people you live with become the friends you have. Join a fraternity, or a sorority. The other friends I had are those who I lived with or had shared a common interest. Trying to sleep, the town closes after 7 PM. Buying Stopin hotdogs(it’s a local gas station, and the only place in Lexington VA that is open 247). Studying while wishing I was somewhere else. Traditions and Events. Mock-Con happens once every four years. Apparently it’s a pretty prestigious event. They also have an Annual Prom thing… forgot what it’s called… Join a fraternity or sorority and they have their own annual things that they do. Watching new pledges get harassed. Um… Something with the W&L chapel, Robert E. Lee is buried there along with this horse. Can you tell I wasn’t that involved… People party Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Sunday is normally “do all the work you’ve neglected all week” day. How important are fraternities and sororities? Well, if you briefly look over what I’ve written, you’ll notice fraternities and sororities already mentioned there and how it might affect your life. Based upon that, I would say that joining a fraternity or sorority is a major aspect of life at W&L. What did I do last weekend… seeing how I got this mail after I graduated, I’ve been studying Korean. What can I do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking… studying? Oh, you mean for fun? I don’t know, watch a movie? W&L is Lexington. The real question is where is off campus? There is very little interaction between the students and the locals. The town is small, one bar has a lot of students from both VMI or W&L while the other bar has a lot of locals. The two groups don’t mix well. The town of Lexington has a few of nice and expensive restaurants but they normally cater to the professors or parents of students which is naturally staffed by the locals. From what I understand most, if not all, of the minimum wage jobs are staffed by the locals. Most of the fraternities are “off-campus” but are under the jurisdiction of W&L property. So again the question is where is off campus? I didn’t have a car so getting out of Lexington took quite an effort sometimes. Shopping for food and supplies was a hassle most of the times.

Catherine

It's not for everyone. Definitely visit. W&L looks amazing on paper but it takes a certain person to feel comfortable here. W&L students have a lot of pride for their school whether it be academics, athletics or the social scene. Don't come here if you're not willing to shout "I LOVE W&L" across the collonade.

This is a very non-diverse community. Everyone pretty much stands together. The dining hall tables are not scattered with 2 or three people to a table, but each one fills up as people cram in to sit with whomever. Because of W&L's super friendly campus, non-socialites tend to stick out. People get pretty dressed up for class most of the time, especially in the fall. During winter, some people maintain their beautiful ego but a large group of sweatpant and sweatshirt wearers will appear. Most people are from the east coast or the deep south. Think W&L is the only place where a Yankee and a Rebel may truly coexist. This is a very unique atmosphere and I cannot stress enough that you MUST visit before making your decision because this place is not for everyone.

W&L students work really hard during the day, but all work is finished by 7 or 8 to take full advantage of the night. Preppy doesn't even come close to describing the amount of vera bradley, croakies, jcrew/polo outfits, rainbows, etc, that are seen on campus.

Class participation is required to pass most classes. People are randomly called upon in class and if the class is not a lecture class, discussions most normally do not include input from the professor. Be prepared to speak up and learn to think on your feet. Geology has been great for me. It's a lot of hands on/outdoors activity and the department is so excited for its majors. They have picnics, cookie/soda days, and personally know all students in the major.

Greek life is huge here-probably bigger than it should be for a school so small. If you're awake 2am on a Tuesday, you're drunk dancing at the frat houses. Or eating Dominos. Alumni weekend, homecoming, and fancy dress are the three MAJOR events on campus. Do not miss them. You can party almost any day of the week if you wanted to. I have never locked my door during the day, there really is no need. Athletics surprisingly is a big deal here and are supported. Maybe not for the entire extent of the game, but sporting events are a social event.

Work Hard, Party harder. Preppy.

Brian

There is a lot of personal attention from the professors-you're not just a number. While Lexington isn't the most exciting town, the Greek system provides enough to do that you are rarely bored.

The Greek system is very strong here and defines most people's social status and circle of friends. It is possible to go independent but not recommended. Those hesitant about the Greek scene shouldn't worry though-There is a house here for everybody.

The school is predominately white but the minority population has been increasing a lot in recent years...Most students are middle-class, some poor, some uber-rich. Most people do dress preppy, but it's not required, of course. Lastly, while the majority of the population is from the South, close to half of the student body is not.

The academics are excellent. Lots of personal attention, difficult classes, but do well here and you'll be able to get pretty much any job you want or into a top grad school.

Parties are great, and there are a decent amount of sober activities on campus as well.

Dan

Anyone who goes to Washington and Lee can be proud of it. School pride is an amazingly big deal here. Everyone knows each other, and you will always be helped if you need it-- whoever you may hang out with. It's extremely friendly... we have a tradition of saying "Hello" to everyone, and it makes for a very friendly atmosphere.

The student who would feel out of place at W&L is the student who is uncomfortable talking. Because we are such a close campus, we can share our views.... however leftward or rightward they may be. The social scene can be awkward sometimes too. You have to get used to mostly fraternity parties... there are no bars to speak of, and Lexington iss a very small town. Coming from a big city was hard for me, but I eventually got used to the scene and like the closeness of the small town.

I've been to two schools-- W&L and Tulane. Although the social activities were more diverse, I found the campus to be extremely deafening when it came to freedom of speech. If I did not follow the strict lines and spew out whatever my professors or TA told me, I would get a lower grade. Here, it is much more diverse. Despite all our stereotypes, there is more freedom of speech here than at a bigger, more diverse university.

No. There are the frat guys, and sorority girls... but as far as the guys go, the frat scene really doesn't matter. I'm independent, and I'm not barred from the social scene at all... I just end up hanging out with more people. And although many of the students are white, rich, and conservative, the professors certainly aren't and there are many others who are not who add spice. It's not a monolithic university by any means.

It's hard. But the professors are always there if you need help. Every class is taught by a professor, and it allows a bit more freedom in the classroom, because you're on an almost equal footing. My only regret is that I don't go for help as often as I should with professors.

There's fraternity parties. A lot of them. But fraternity parties usually range from cocktail social affairs to keg stands in the country.... with a nifty bus that takes you to and from. Some of my other independent friends go to the midnight movie.... which is not an alcoholic affair, but parties do not stop at 12 am. Groups also form, eventually.

The stereotype I hear most about Washington and Lee is that we're "White and Loaded," and that we are a very conservative university. The fraternity/sorority scene is very large, and so there is a stereotype of it's "only frat guys" and that if you are not in a fraternity, you're nothing.

I honestly wouldn't change anything about our school. It is the perfect size as far as I'm concerned...it may be a little small just in the way that everyone knows everyone else's business, but it doesn't really bother me. It just comes with the territory. It's in a very tiny town, but it's not really that bad. Roanoke and Charlottesville are only 45 minutes away and Lexington is a great place to live.

Most people at W&L are either from the southeast or the mid-Atlantic...we have a ton of Baltimore kids. There are also a lot of people from Texas. Not many from out west or the mid-west. Most people are aware of current events and politics and would probably call themselves right-wing (even if they don't agree with everything Republican). Socio-economics are never an issue; I have friends that are hugely wealthy and I have friends who depend of their scholarships. It doesn't matter. It just never comes up.

It is true that most of the people here are white kids who went to prep school...but I don't know if I'd call everyone "preppy". I guess we are kind of preppy, but not in a trendy way like everyone's trying to be cool. Everyone's just very laid back and just is who they are. As far as the money thing goes, a lot of people do have a lot of money, but no one parades it around. And it is true that most people, at least all of my friends, drink a lot. But what's not said is that while we do play hard, we work that hard, too, and do well in our classes.

The academics are hard, but doable...if you get in here, you can handle it. Professors are great. They know your name and are always available for help; I go to all my professors' office hours for help whenever I need it and they're great about help. People do study really hard. Normally, you'll stay on the hill until around midnight if you're doing work, but you go out just as hard the next night. During exam week, the library is like a social scene...everyone's in there working hard. Students want to do well, but we're all always willing to help each other with anything.

Greek life is social life. I don't know what I'd spend all my time doing if I wasn't in a sorority. Which frat or srat you're in is important...it sort of determines who you hang out with and what you do when you go out.

People think that everyone at Washington and Lee is rich, white, and preppy. I know that one of the other big stereotypes about us is that we drink all the time.

David

W&L is a place that has really allowed me to grow in ways that I wouldn't have expected. The small size of the college allows for you to explore options that you wouldn't think about doing at a larger University, and more importantly succeed in these endeavors. The liberal arts environment not only allows the students to explore different academic fields, but also carries over into life outside of the classroom. I am a member of a Greek organization who participates on multiple varsity sports teams and also plays an instrument in the orchestra on campus, and I don't feel obliged to define myself by any single one of those commitments.

The student body here appears to be rather homogenous (white, preppy, smart but fun) on the surface, but if one cares enough to look they realize that there is a fair amount of diversity on campus. We have the same proportion of international students as many of the Ivy League schools (some of my friends in my year are from places such as Fiji, China, Germany, Kenya, Nepal, and Bulgaria), and there is diversity of ideas and opinions as well. The school gets a reputation as primarily conservative, but that is just because they are the loudest people on campus. The majority of people seem to be moderates, and there are just as many liberals as conservatives, but the conservative students feel obliged to be much more vocal than the rest. Religiously, people seem mostly to be different types of Protestants. The major thing about the student body, though, is that it really is a community. Because of the speaking tradition people will be friendly to everyone they see, and this really enhances the community feel around the University and Lexington.

The stereotypes are only accurate to the extent that one believes in them. We do have a lot of preppy kids on campus who are very smart but enjoy partying and drinking a lot, but we also have a wealth of diversity that many people overlook. I have found myself having conversations about the rise of the Maoist party in Nepal with a friend who has lived his entire life there, or been at a frat party discussing the difference between the English and German Romantics.

The academics here are rigorous but rewarding, and provide the students with a lot of flexibility for what they want to study. I am a neuroscience major who is also on the premed track, but I also plan on getting a concentration in African-American studies, and I feel like that epitomizes the opportunities that the University allows. The professors are incredibly friendly and you know them as people, not just doctors and distant researchers. Also, because of the small size of the University, many students will assist professors in their research, and oftentimes if the professors do publish their findings, the undergraduate students will be listed as coauthors, which is an amazing opportunity for an undergraduate student.

Most people feel as if the social life revolves solely around Greek organizations, which do play a dominant role, but there are many other options for people. Many famous speakers come to campus and there is always something to do for people who don't want to party, but the majority of the students will spend a Friday or Saturday night at a fraternity party.

It seems that the most common stereotypes about W and L are that it is a school for white preppy kids who are very smart but also like to have a good time. We are known as an academically challenging school, but it is no secret that there is a huge Greek scene on campus and most people will go out and get drunk on the weekends (and included in weekends are Monday and Wednesday nights).

Anne

There are lots of great things about W&L. I chose it because it's a small, conservative school in the south that has an excellent academic reputation. Sometimes I feel like it's too small because everyone knows everyone else's business, but at the same time I enjoy the strong community atmosphere. When I tell people from up north where I go to school, they don't know much about it unless they are familiar with southern schools. People who do know the name, however, are very impressed and tell me what a great school it is. I spend most of my time on campus in my apartment or in the sorority house. I would say Lexington is a decent college town. There are lots of places to eat and some cute shops. I do wish it were closer to a large mall though. The residents in Lex are very nice and seem to embrace the students well. I don't have a strong opinion about W&L's administration either way - I think they do a good job. The biggest controversies on campus are usually related to off-color humor or rumors. There is definitely a lot of school pride at W&L - there is a strong "good ol' boy" mentality. People often point to our Greek system as rather particular to W&L. The majority of students here are Greek and the organizations have a strong presence on campus. The best part of W&L is the strong friendships I'm developing here. People here are friendly and outgoing. I know the people I meet here will be in my life forever.

W&L is a rather homogeneous campus. I don't necessarily think that this is a bad thing. I think many people are drawn to W&L because of its homogeneousness. It is part of what makes W&L unique and to a certain extent successful. For this reason, I don't think anyone who dislikes the stereotype here or is uncomfortable by it should consider W&L. The identity is too strong here for someone that would want to change it.

The student to professor ration at W&L is about 10-1, so professors almost always know your name. They care a lot about your success and are always willing to make time for you. My favorite classes have been those in my majors - politics and studio art. I have especially enjoyed my drawing classes and international politics classes. I would say students study about 20-25 hours during a none exam week. Class participation is very common at W&L. Because of the small class sizes and the emphasis on seminar-style classes, students are often expected to speak up as part of their final grade. There is certainly intellectual conversation outside of class - not an obnoxious amount, but the students here are extremely intelligent. Students are relatively competitive. I would say we are more competitive with ourselves then with our classmates. The most unique class I have taken was Islam and Politics last semester. It was a seminar elective class that focused on the resolution of politics and religion as one of the most important foreign policy issues today. As I said, my majors are politics and studio art. Most people would think that they are two very different subject, but I am finding interesting ways in which the two complement each other and interact. I am enjoying them both very much. Every professor at W&L is available for office hours or time outside of class to meet with students. I have often taken advantage of this time to talk with teachers and further discuss topics in class. I don't mind W&L general education requirements, but I do wish they were a few fewer, especially in science/math! However, the GEs do allow students to get a taste each discipline at W&L.

Greek organizations are the most prominent on campus. They are responsible for the majority of social and philanthropic events. I am a member of Kathekon, which is a student group that interacts with Alumni and also promotes the speaking tradition at W&L. In the fall we host a cook-out for the freshmen and during the winter we organize SPEAK day. W&L's speaking tradition is an important aspect of our community. The purpose is to promote a tight-knit community in which everyone is friendly and polite. W&L is also a very safe school. Students often leave their dorm rooms open or their computers in the commons, etc. There is a strong honor code here that allows students to trust each other. W&L has something of a reputation for being a party school, but never before have I experienced a more accurate example of "Work Hard, Play Hard."

Ryan

rich, white, southern, preppy, republican. give off the impression that they'd like to be wealthy and recognized as successful, rather than actually be happy, later in life. homogenous environment where different types of people don't really interact very much. terrible gender relations. girls and boys are segregated in every sense of the word after freshman year (living in fraternity and sorority houses), and are drunk for 90% of their interactions with the opposite sex.

in a lot of cases... yes. most people are very wealthy; it wouldn't be rare to park in between a mercedes and a BMW on a daily basis. you rarely see boys without polo, lacoste, or brooks brothers shirts on while out at night, and if you do, it's probably because they're sporting a fratty lax jersey. even though people have money, however, it's more diverse than you might expect. i've personally met a lot of wonderful, unique people here at W&L, and while there certainly are the rich white snobs, there are countless down-to-earth people, as well. as far as drugs and alcohol goes, that's all true too. you can go out and drink pretty much any night of the week, and a surprising percentage of the student body has either tried cocaine or does it regularly. it's also very rare to find someone who hasn't at least tried marijuana once in his or her lifetime. because people have a lot of money, there is little hesitation to spend a lot on drugs. the greek scene is also incredibly dominant. almost everyone is greek, and if you're not, your options for fun seem limited. there are also lots of other societies (some secret, some not) for both men and women that further stroke students' elitist egos. W&L students have invented every way to give themselves a title (while likely incorporating some form of "hazing" -- or, i mean, "new member education"). anything to further distinguish themselves as being better than other students continues to be done and flaunted regularly.

students are very hard workers and takee their work very seriously. the professors are absolutely fabulous, and i don't believe that any other school has professors who are as available and willing to help. because classes are so small, professors make time for everyone and pay close attention in making sure each student can and will succeed. they really couldn't be better.

greek life is first and foremost. everyone does it, and if not, no one's really sure who you are or what you do with your time. everyone knows everyone at W&L; it's so small that you're going to know everyone's gossip, and they're going to know yours.

W&L is commonly known as rich, white, and Southern. students are stereotyped as overprivileged, wealthy snobs sometimes. the campus is vastly white and known for being homogenous. people don't generally expect to find unique or different individuals here. W&L is also rumored to be full of heavy drinkers and drug users, perhaps thanks to the huge fraternity/soroity scene that W&L is also known for.

Blake

W&L has a great balanced environment. The school maintains a scholastic motivation in studying hard and learning but also students enjoy partying and having a good time. Students often to the saying, "Work hard, play hard." One of the most overlooked attributes of W&L is its incredible location in the Blue Ridge Mountains - Shenandoah Valley. Students definitely take advantage of the surrounding area through hiking, paddling, swimming, biking, etc. Lexington is a small and slow town, but it has everything to support the student body. There are very few good bars - and almost zero student bar scene. Most parties take place a student off campus houses, most of which are located in the country surrounding the city. There are also parties at the fraternity houses. The relationship between students and the locals varies. One of the largest complaints from students is with the Lexington police department. The police don't have much to do so students must more careful. There is a great relationship between students and professors. Professors are always easy to meet with and you actually get a chance to know them.

Many of the students are similar in that they are white and wealthy. This stereotype is changing now as a result of the new Jefferson scholarship and increasing difficulty of admissions. Many students join fraternities and sororities and thus spend the majority of their time with those particular organizations. Many students are focused on graduating and moving to Wall Street while others aren't concerned much with financial success. Students are politically aware. Students dress casual to class. Most students are from the East Coast of U.S. and South. There are a lot more students from New Jersey, Conn, etc. than people realize.

The student body majority is most likely wealthy and white. However, by no means are the majority of the students from the South or are they conservative. Many students participate in Greek system, but certainly not all.

There is a great relationship between students and professors. Professors are always easy to meet with and you actually get a chance to know them. My most interesting class was a recent macro econ class. I got to know my professor well and he was definitely one of the smartest teachers I've had. He taught us practical economics and offered different perspectives to our nation's economics than is mainly depicted in the media. Classes are small and comfortable. Students are competitive, and there is very little grade inflation. Professors will do as much as they can to help you out - they don't want students to fail. Many of the major departments are like big families, and students get to know their advisers and professors very well. Education is great.

Fraternities and Sororities definitely control the social scene.

Students are rich, white, southern, conservative, Greek.

Washington and Lee University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.