Walla Walla, WA
Whitman College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Whitman College

Vanessa

College in this past year has taught me more about life then the seventeen years I lived at home combined. I moved out of my parents house when I was seventeen and ever since then i've been working full time and going to school to make a difference for myself. I've learned how far determination will get me and even though some days I feel like i've hit my threshold that each assignment I complete and each class I attend is bringing me closer to my dream. I've also learned that nothing is handed to you on a silver plater and if you want it, your going to have to work for it.

amanda

My going to college means everything to me. I am anxious to learn and receive a excellent education experience. I look forward to a career that will not only allow for great employment , but also enjoying and rewarding. The career field I have chosen; will allow me to help other people who are in need of medical relieve; being able to ease and relieve the pain of others gives me a great satisfaction, joy and knowledge of accomplishment. My ultimate goal in life is helping others feel better. This college experience has allowed me the opportunity to learn, grow, and discover more about my inner-self. The lessons I have learned combined with the values that have been instilled in me through my parents, community, and college has allowed me to become a better student and person, which has given me the opportunity to strive for my ultimate goal in life. My attending College is a important stepping stone along the pathway of reaching my ultimate goal and striving for a dream come true. I look forward to a rewarding career, the opportunity, and satisfaction of doing my best in making the world a better place for all equality

Kyaw

My univeristy in located in myanmar. My univesity name is computer university of mandalay. I took hardward subject. Now, I already finished my Hons: degree. And I am studying IELTs.It's one thing to help out at a community recreation center a few hours a week; it's a completely different thing if you took it upon yourself to suggest, recruit, organize, and lead a fund raising drive for new playground equipment at a local park. Of course, besides these ideas, there are the basics, which you can't forget about. It should go without saying, but spell it.

Nothing in all the world is comparable to reading Ayn Rand beneath New York's skyline or to studying Nietzsche atop a mountain summit. Since childhood, the studies of philosophy and science have interested me profoundly. Having read many books on relativity, quantum mechanics, existentialism, religion, capitalism, democracy and post-Aristotelian philosophy, my quest for knowledge has only intensified. Certainly, the purpose of my life is to discover a greater understanding of the universe and its people. Specifically, I plan to better grasp the interrelationship among forces, matter, space, and time. In addition, I hope to find a unified field theory and a convincing explanation for the birth of the universe. During the summer of tenth grade, I took a number theory course at Johns Hopkins University with students from Alaska, California, and Bogota, Colombia. My attendance of the New Jersey Governor's School in the Sciences is another accomplishment that exemplifies my dedication to knowledge. During the summer following eleventh grade, I took courses in molecular orbital theory, special relativity, cognitive psychology, and I participated in an astrophysics research project. For my independent research project, I used a telescope to find the angular velocity of win with the angular.

A great many scholarship competitions require a written essay. Scholarship committees do this for a variety of reasons. One of the main ones is to get an idea of what the person who's applying for the scholarship is like. Yes, GPA, community service, volunteerism and leadership are important qualities, but by the time you've gotten to where you're being considered, everyone you're competing against will also have strong records in all these areas. And so the scholarship committee will read your essay to see what sets you apart from the crowd, looking for a reason it.

Cari

I would tell myself that it is possible to manage doing a million things at once and that sleep is overrated. I would also tell myself to enjoy my time here because it only last four years. Finally, I would tell myself that nothing is too hard for me and if I just put in the extra time to study, no subject is too hard.

I wish I would've known how great all the people here are so I wouldn't have contemplated going to any other school.

The kind of people who come here are serious about their education, active in the community and like to have fun.

The first thing I would tell myself has to deal with change. I would ask myself what I expected, then tell myself to forget that and not expect anything. College is going to challenge and change you in ways that you can not even dream of. The things you would like to change will not necessarily change, and the things that you would like to keep the same could possibly change. Learning to allow change in your life will be difficult, but will ultimately help you to become a much more confident and knowledgeable person. The second thing I would tell myself deals with self-confidence. Learning to be confident in college will take making friends that really care about you and that will help you find out your strengths as a person. Learning to trust and enjoy the people around you will be the most important thing you learn your freshman year of college. The third thing I would tell myself is to get ready to work harder than you have ever worked in your life. You will need to spend more time on schoolwork than you ever have before, but it will be exceedingly more rewarding in college.

The thing I wish I knew before going to school is something important to know before going to any college. I wish I knew the importance of having self confidence. When I started college, I did not know anyone. Sometimes, I put myself down when I realized other people did things better or faster than me. I learned that it is important to know my personal strengths and be confident in the person who I am.

There is no way to describe a person who "should" go to Whitman. At Whitman, you will be accepted no matter who you are. I have met students at Whitman who love the environment, students who love to party and have a lot of fun on the weekends, students who are Christian and love God, students who are considered ?nerds? and spend most of their time in their rooms. What I have noticed about all Whitman students, however, is their willingness to learn and passion for education. These qualities are necessary for a student who goes to Whitman.

Bryant

Whatever happens through this process occurs for a reason. Don't fret over the transistion from high school to college like it is the judgement of alll your previous years through public education. It is a large step in life, but countless people have survived it, and made their own memorable experiences, so you can also. Everyone asks about college, and you might feel pressured to go to a well known college, such as the Ivy Leagues, but it should not mean anything. This does boost your confidence, supporting that you passed"judgement", but the Ivy Leagues are not for everyone. It is true that if you go to a name school, people will admire you, but the Ivy Leagues are not for everyone. Something that we all forget is that we should not tailor ourselves to fit a school, but find a school that fits us for who we truly are. Only then, can you have a memorable and joyous collegiate experience. In this light, those colleges that do accept you, recognize your spirit and want your contributions and dedication to learning.

It is a small liberal arts college not to far away from home. And the professors are really engaging.

Cindy

Be prepared to re-learn how to write, think, analyze and read. Whitman professors expect you to understand and interpret on a much deeper level than high school teachers ever did, and they demand more out of you without being intimidating. Push yourself to work hard and you'll get much more out of the class. Don't procrastinate! Reviewing is also key because there are fewer tests and papers, so they are worth more - take your time with big assignments and start early! Try new things, and don't be afraid to introduce yourself to new people. You only get four years - make the best of it! Try a new sport, and go to on-campus events. Go to lectures even if they don't sound interesting - professors and students go through a lot of trouble to bring someone to campus, it's worth going to listen to! You will definitely learn something new. Find a cause or club that you're very passionate about, and focus your energy into it. The power of the students can accomplish a lot and the school is very generous and understanding about funding good causes/projects.

I wish I had known how hard classes would be. IB prepared me for college in a really big way but writing those first few papers were very daunting. Come prepared to throw a lot of what you learned in high school away and learn new ways of thinking and writing. I also wish I hadn't brought so much random junk from home, because packing would have been much easier.

Whitman's a very environmentally conscious, and liberal school. People tend to be very passionate about whatever they are interested, which can become very overwhelming at times. If a person's not into trying new things or sports or even the outdoors, then perhaps Whitman isn't a good fit. Also students looking for a urban environment won't find it at Whitman - it's very rural but the town of Walla Walla is wonderful. The small student population is also a factor that should be considered - there are about 1400 students total, only undergraduates.

Alejandro

I think Whitman is the exact same size it needs to be. It's big enough to where you can meet a new person each day but small enough to get all the necessary help you might need for any subject in school. Upon coming here I was fearful of what lied ahead, but within the first week so many people introduced myself to me that I felt I would have no trouble feeling comfortable in the next 4 years!

Every person here has something to bring to the table, so no matter where you end up living you will be sure to have a great time! Just wanna rep my section---D's Nuts!!

Whitman drinks a lot...some like it, but i wish there was a little less of it.

Yes they are, and they are also working on expanding diversity which is pretty great!

They provide all the help you might need! The resources are there, all you have to do is seek them!

Fun is here! Way too many things to do within a given a week and you have to limit yourself to stay focused on academics...parties every weekend...events throughout the week (dance, theather, improv, music, etc.)

Outdoorsey, Intellectual, Friendly, AWESOME!!

Brett

Whitman itself is tiny, but it's as small as you want it to be. Explore, find new niches, make new friends, and the world expands.

I think everyone is comfortable with everyone else.

Not everyone is a crazy liberal, but I would say we're fairly liberal as a whole. At the very least, everyone is accepting. And yes, everybody is a nerd. I'm a music and anthropology nerd, some of my best friends are astronomy and chemistry nerds, and we all get along. Everybody is so interesting and intelligent! Also, when you hear about Whitman's high standards, they're being bashful; everybody works extremely hard, but every class is worth it.

Every professor knows me and chats with me when I see them at the campus center or on Ankeny field. I can talk to my German professor about Shakespeare, or to my anthro professor about our solar system. This also applies to any Whittie student. My flute partner and I have had extensive discussions on philosophy, physics, theater, and music, of course. Another friend and I are learning Russian from third friend. Intellectual stimulation merely starts in the classroom and extends to the entire atmosphere.

Frats and sororities are great because they do tons of community service and group bonding, as well as throwing parties everyone can go to. Whether or not you pledge Greek, they're an essential part of campus.

I've heard Whitties described as crazy liberals, nerds, and busy beavers.

Matt

Whitman is an amazing school, but the most important factor is the quality of kids. All of the kids i have met so far are bomb. They are all very outgoing yet also very dedicated to their beliefs and passions. Looking around i can see that many people will affect the world. People here are extremely environmentally conscious and the school itself is too. If i could change one thing it would be to have a little more school spirit.

Greta school with cool kids. I love it so far.

For the most part. There are places to party everynight of the week and i have some friends who do. The parties are usually awesome with everything you would expect from a college party, so that stereotype is false. There are some nerdy kids here, but i would say for the most part that kids are less nerdy and more that they are just plain smart. There are a decent amount of closet nerdy kids. People here are extremely outdoorsy and it seems that almost everyone is very athletic and probably plays a varsity sport or did in high school.

Hard, a lot of work, but very rewarding so far. Teachers are top notch and aren't afraid to give lots of homework. Very good classes that force diverse thinking.

Something for everyone. Plenty of drinking. Also there are always dry functions for those who don't drink. Frats are semi popular and on the rise.

nerdy, don't party a lot, very outdoorsy, athletic.

Whitman College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.