Walla Walla, WA
Whitman College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Whitman College

Anna

I would advise those trying to choose the right college to not only visit the schools you're interested in, but visit your top choices multiple times at different times of the year. For example, a campus can seem alive and happy and wonderful in the spring, and can be completely the opposite in the winter; dead and beige and so depressing you just can't stand it. I advise students to talk to their parents extensively about their experiences, because, believe it or not--they know a lot and have been through the same experience. Learn from them if you can. Make a list of important aspects a school needs to have for you to be both successful AND happy--for example, big time sports, school spirit, great class size, really great extracurricular opportunites, location, major options, class options, etc. And don't forget--follow your gut; it's usually right.

A person not academically driven should not attend this school. Unless you are passionate about school and learning and working extremely hard all year long, I don't suggest coming because Whitman really tests your endurance as a student.

I usually brag about the people at my school. Everyone is so smart, articulate, driven, yet there's a wonderful balance of laid-back attitudes to accompany the intense ones. In addition to the people, I love to talk about our beautiful campus; it's gorgeous in all seasons, and the art around campus is so refreshing and well placed. The amount of trees we have on campus as well is always lovely, because there's always something blooming, even in the winter!

Lee

A small liberal arts college, Whitman College is dedicated to allowing and encouraging students to grow as intellectuals: the school creates and promotes an atmosphere of challenge--challenge to really think deeply about all issues and never settle for a mimimum amount of work.

My classmates are self-encouraged and driven to explore the most creative aspects of any issue; they enjoy looking deep into primary sources and aren't afraid to say things in class which may go against the popular interpretation of the work.

Students (and parents) should never settle or be preemptively afraid of the application process. Many potential undergraduate students are scared away by SAT scores, GPA, and the like, while most schools actually place these quantitative values very low on their admissions priority list. Most schools will actually look first at the submitted essays, a student's involvement in their home community, and many other qualitative characteristics. Especially when applying to a smaller liberal arts school, admissions officers are looking for students who will nurture the schools creative, intellectual environment. Students at undergraduate schools should never be afraid to approach professors. When students take genuine interest and passion in any field of study, professors become invested. Most professors will go to great lengths to accommodate a student's intellectual growth. Students should never feel like--or tell themselves--that they are incapable of learning about things for which they are passionate. Parents should know their children, and be able to encourage them to grow: pursuing avenues they may not have even known existed, for at the end may be a passion for knowledge previously undiscovered. When a student is open to their own creativity, there is no stopping their intellectual exploration!

Meg

I think the biggest thing in finding a school is going to visit it! Walking around the Whitman campus, talking to faculty and students there made the biggest impact on me; so much so, that I applied early. I don't think there is *one* perfect school out there for each person; I think some schools are better fits though and once you're there, you have to be able to go about doing things yourself that will make the experience the best for you. Get involved in things you're interested in, even if you're nervous to do so at first! Go to your professors for help; they are usually more accomodating than you might expect. Keep up with your work, but make sure you are leaving time for other activities, friends, eating (!), sleeping, and other things that are not academically related. College is NOT just about academics and getting good grades!!

Tom

We are known for our extremely happy students, faculty, and staff members. We're all part of a very unified, cooperative community here at Whitman that emphasizes, along with academics, a strong sense of diversity, morality, achievement, discipline, and fun. I don't know a single Whittie that doesn't adore the Whitman experience. We really do love it here!

It's critical to find a handful of schools that you can really imagine yourself going to. Be realistic: don't dream too much about the Ivy Leagues and the Stanfords, because you're most likely not going to get into one of them! Find schools that are more attainable prospects and learn everything you can about them. You'll find that there are dozens, hundreds, of colleges that probably suit you much better than any "Reach School." It's not all about the name. Take a good look at yourself and decide whether you really belong in a school with a bunch of stuffed-shirt, legacy types. If none of the aforementioned applies to you, then maybe this will: don't just apply to the one state school that you're guaranteed to get into, just because you don't know where else you'd go. Do some research. Find the school that really speaks to you and your interests. Then go visit that school and talk to everyone there!

I wish I would have known actually how demanding the work load can be, how much attention there is to academics on campus.

The small town atmosphere and the challanging classes. I really have streched my knowledge, but at the same time I really feel supported in everything I do.

To visit colleges before making a decision. You can only experience a college by visiting and talking with current students.

The small classes. I also know my professors better than my friends from other Universities.

Lauralee

All of them are highly motivated students, but they do not neglect their social lives. Most people have somehow maintained a perfect balance.

Come to this college with an open mind because there are so many different personalities that one will come across. There will always be someone that is able to debate an idea one might have and chances are they will if given the opportunity. It is truly an intellectual, yet simultaneously happy college.

It seems like they consider the little things and make everything comfortable. Our facilities are well maintained and my college is not to make changes if they know it is for the better. One example would be our Sherwood fitness center. Back in the day it received rewards for its structure, but as time went on it became less and less of appealing. We are currently rebuilding it and it is going to be awesome.

Jonah

Think about what you want out of life, think long and hard, and then pick a college or colleges that fit that description. then you will be happy.

that fraternities are not so bad. I had a bad stereotype of them from big schools like CU. I did not join my freshman year because of these views, but when I did join my sophomore year it was great.

Community. Everyone has a sense of belonging to several communities large and small.

Claire

I'm actually not sure. I think it's better known for the artsy majors (english, theater, etc).

I know that this option isn't always a possibility, but, I would highly recommend visiting the schools you are considering before you attend the school. Several of the schools that were my first choice after reading about them turned out to be totally wrong for me when I visited. They just didn't feel right. As for making the most of your college experience, my words of wisdom would be : try new things and manage your time wisely. Really try to make time for social activities in between study sessions. It is very important to make time to de-stress during the week and social activities are a really good way to do that. Also, everyone I know who has good social connections seem happier than the more introverted people.

I LOVE the student body. Everyone is really nice.

Alice

I don't think there's anything I would've done differently. There are some specific personal athletic things I wasn't aware of; but overall I think encountering new and scary things is a big part of the freshman experience, and Whitman does a good job of helping adjust to the changes.

College is all about finding the right fit for you, and sometimes that takes some self discovery. While I thought I was destined to be a SoCal college girl, fate found a way to guide me in the right - and opposite - direction. After being rejected from my first and second choices, and after some prodding from my mother and the soccer coach, I reluctantly came out to Walla Walla - and within the first hour I knew I was going to spend four years there. Sometimes, you just know, and have to go with your heart. Other times, you find out along the way. A friend of mine transferred three times in four years, each time with high hopes, and his final choice has been the reward he was looking for. While difficult, the courage and foresight that it took him to keep trying was not only impressive but character building. Once you've found the college for you, maximize it by throwing yourself into campus life. Homesickness can be an early distraction, but the best cure is building a new home at your new school. It will happen before you know it.

People who need big cities and big schools. Whitman is small, and so is Walla Walla, so you know everyone on campus and you can't really get away from the social life if you want to. Whitman is also very liberal, so it can be hard for people with conservative views to come here. And lastly, people who aren't used to working hard to get good grades are going to have a nasty wake-up call.

Whitman College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.