Winston-Salem, NC
Winston-Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Winston-Salem State University

Lisa

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that college is possible. Having a family or not being financially sound does not mean college has to be put on the back burner. There is so much assistance available to those who want to make a future brighter for themselves. Being a college student doesnt mean life stops. The opportunity is there to find new friends, make life long connections with people whom share alot of the same interest. Although at times it can feel as though it gets tougher, it's really getting easier, so hang in there! In the end the sense of accomplishment smoothes the rest of lifes highway out for you.

One who is not goal/career oriented. I believe someone needs to have a good idea of what they want out of their future.

The availability of Online degrees.

Alexis

Granted the chance of going back in time , I would advise myself to remember who I am and keep focus on my goals. When I first attended college I had lost sight of those things and did not handle certain situations the right way. Getting used to college life was not hard at all for me. I found it fun, making every single decision on my own about where I was going and how late I should stay out. When it came to doing things for myself ,that is where I lacked skills.I was making decisions for me based on other people that were counting on me to live on their dreams,and although I experienced the hard way I had learned what is right for me is the only right thing!

People with determination, and character should attend Winston-Salem State University.Determination to graduate and make something positive of themselves and character to make friends and give life to the campus. Coming from a student's point of view, it is the students that make the university come alive.

A person with no integrity and lack of maturity as well as no self confidence should not attend this institution.Students with non positive outlooks on their life will not only cause harm to themselves but the campus as well.Senior high school students will not want to attend a university where the campus is not surrounded by positive people.It will lead them to the impression of not having the college experience they were hoping for.

Shivani

My school is best known for their Motor Cross Management Program, as well as their Nursing program.

I feel that there is a University that is perfect for every individual. Even though people differ greatly there is a place that will suit you like a glove, but you must find it. So many high school students do not have parents who graduated from a 4-year college so I stronly advise is to seek he assistance of a guidance counselor. Their purpose is to provide resources to make information about different colleges and universities readily available. Find out the date, time, and prices of college tours especially! Being able to visit the campus, and asking individuals about their experience that currently attend the school help aid in what is a very difficult process. The more comfortable you are with your decision, the easier the transition to this 'new world' will be. Start your research early and take your time and you will be fine!

The worst thing about Winston-Salem State University is the lack of ethnic and culturally diversity. I believe that aside from an providing an education, the purpose of an University is to give students an understanding of what the real world is about. As the population of immigrants, and different cultures increase in the United States it is highly important for individuals to have experiences dealing with individuals that may be completely different from themselves.

Tameisha

Compared to other colleges, Winston-Salem State University feels more like a big family. Everybody gets along very well. There is always someone willing to help you out in any way possible. Here, it feels like the entire school engages in parties together and studies together.

College work is not very hard, but balancing college life with social life is. When you choose a college, chose a college that is the right size for not only you, but is a good size for your social life. A large school will probably interfere with school work and a very small school will probably bore you beyond belief. Also choose a school with class sizes that encourage a close relationship with you and your professors. A class size of about 20 to 30 students is favorable. Choose a school that the student body actually stands behind and is proud to be a part of because this will insure that your college experience will be enjoyable. Get involved in as many activities as you can because this will help in building a strong network and career connections for yourself. Picking the right school is like marrying the right person; make sure you are both on the same page because if you are not, there is a good chance that you are wasting your time.

The worst thing about Winston-Salem State University is the Financial Aid Department. It is completely unorganized. Most campus complaints are directed toward this department. Some students are not even emmitted into school for different semesters at a time because of their financial aid problems. If there is a problem with your financial aid at this school, the department does not notify you, and if they do it is usually on very short notice. The lines filing out of the financial aid office have exceeded five hour waits on the return of every school year.

Demetria

Winston-Salem State University is a historically african american university that offers a baccalaureate and also graduate progrmas to students of other race. Winston-Salem State, "WSSU", is know for their competitive Nursing program of which why I am attending the school. It has been stated that, "U.S. News and World Report has ranked the university among Top Public Comprehensive Colleges in the South - Bachelor's Category for the last nine years (2001-2009)." -The Winston-Salem State University website.

Come to college to focus as you planned. Set high goals and follow through with them. Do not come and expect to party and have fun. This is not a four year vacation. You pay for you classes, you attend them. Create a schedule to follow by. Mangimg your time along with organization will bring you a long way. Be careful of who you call your friends, they come and go but your family and professors will not. Build a bond with your professors. If you are struggle, do not lay back and wait for a change to come. "Hard work pays off!"

I wish I would had known more about the enivorment, campus life and also more about the nursing program. As of attending a college with not alot of knowledge about the university and nursing program, it is a very interesting but good school. I recommend if you are looking forward to attend a Historically Black College or University with a concentration in nursing, you attend this school. May I end with a famous quote, it is said, "college is what you make it."

Charisma

Winston-Salem State University is a school where you are sure to find the career that most pleases you--and has many great opportunities instore for you.

Winston-Salem Statue University is unique because it is very cultural and diverse compared to what I am used to. This university has many opportunities for individuals to enjoy. It has a wonderful nursing program, fine arts, computer science, business and much more.

The advice that I would give myself is to try alot harder when looking for scholarships so that I could be financially stable in the future. Also, I would say, do not take the sciences in high school for granted because if you digest the information in the beginning it will be alot easier to remember it later on in college. I would also say continue doing well in school and making good grades because it will assist you in making it into college. I would also recommend myself to join in more extracurricular activities and be even more active, because even though academics is the main attention of most colleges, "what you can bring to the table" is also weighted as much.

Shaneka

My school is best known for their nursing program which i hope to be in one day and its known for being a Historically Black College University. It is also known for having a higher graduation rate in the nursing program than a lot of other schools.

I think if I had the opportunity to go back in time and give myself advice about college knowing what i know now i would tell myself to keep my priorities in order and to never procrastinate. I would also tell myself to stay focused and take all the necessary precautions so that when its time for you to attend college you will be fully prepared. Be active and open-minded in everything that you do. Be confident in yourself and believe that you can do anything that you put your mind to. Last but not least i would tell myself not to turn down someone that is trying to help you, yes be independent but not to independent that you feel like you in this alone, cause your not.

I consider the best thing about my school to be the price yeah it is pricely but nothing thats so outrageous that i couldnt pay for my schooling. It is also racially oriented.

It is good to get the college life experience but dont get wrapped up in the college life style and forget about the education you are paying for. There are benefits with living close to home. There is academic help on campus so dont be afraid to use it. Get out there and have fun but dont forget college is the doorway to a happy, successful future!

Small size (good teacher student ratio) because teachers can interact with students better

Sometimes can be unorganized. Just because it is a HBCU you have to take certain classes such as african american culture

Christine

Just stay focused and keep your head up. There are times when you will be frustrated, but don't lose focus and don't give up! College is the best decision you can ever make, so make the best of the experience ok!

I wish I had known how boring and uneventful it was going to be before I got there.

The faculty - especially the financial aid department

Monique

It is a good school and the professors will work with you to complete the class.

I would tell myself to make sure I save up for college. Make sure I start out strong and try not to procrastinate. As soon as I get an assignment either start on it or finish it and do not wait until the last minute. Be outgoing and social because you may meet a lot of people that can help you to do great in class. They can help you with your work or let you borrow there book if you do not have one. And make sure I do my best and do not settle for a C.

Any type of person should attend this school and we are striving to be more diverse.

Winston-Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.