Bakersfield, CA
California State University-Bakersfield

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-Bakersfield

Kelsey

Decide what school to go to based on what you want to do. Don't let parents or friends dictate where you go. Find a college with a thriving student life and be involved!

That there was no on campus life. I would have preferred a more spirited school.

There is no campus life. It is very much a commuter college. Students come for class and that is it.

Heather

My best advice to finding the right college would be follow your heart. That feeling you get when you know this is where you should be. A place where you can see all your goals coming true. For me that was in the desert of Bakersfield believe it or not. When I met the softball team there for the first time, I felt so welcomed. They were going to be my family for the next 4 years I thought. And it has always been my dream to play college ball and pursue exercise science as my major; so I can help young athletes like myself one day. Cal State Bakersfield offered me that. So parents and students need to find a college that they feel will help prepare them for a bright future with a great college experience. Follow your heart, and know anything is possible. You can attend any achool you want. Don't be deterred by all the keen students that apply, there is always a spot for the determined. And that I am, determined. Determined to succeed and continue in college until I earn my master's degree.

The best thing about my school is that the teachers and students want to be there. And that even though people look at Bakersfield as a hole, we are all in this college experience together. And the CSUB softball team makes it great also.

The weather can be a bit ruff. And sometimesI don't feel safe.

Bianca

California State University is a small, liberal school located in Bakersfield. A lot of students that attend school at Cal State chose it because it was their "last resort," so to speak, but it is a VERY good, engaging school with very open-minded and eager teachers willing to do whatever it takes for you to learn and understand the material. I initally went to a private school down south, but chose to come to Cal State because it's strong academic program, it was closer to home and they do whatever it takes to make their students happy.

The advice I would give is choose WISELY. I initially chose to go to a private university down south because I thought : It's a private school so I'll get a better education. After my first year I realized that it WASN'T any better than a traditional four year school. My professors didn't interact with students AT ALL. They came to class between "work," usually some sort of study they were currently working on and left promptly when class was over. I NEVER saw a teacher outside of the classroom. I also ended up paying around $28,000 for that year. At California State Bakersfield, I receive financial aid, not a lot, but enough to pay my tuition and for my books for the quarter. I ALWAYS see my professors outside of class and they are always available during their office hours. The class sizes are a little bigger than at the private school, but the professors have assistants, so it's not really an issue. You might THINK that you want some big, fancy school, but in the end, an education is an education. So choose wisely and weight out your pros and cons carefully.

The one thing that I don't like about Cal State is that the weekends are DEAD. Also, being a Biology major, I have noticed their aren't a lot of internship programs for pre-medical graduate school students to work with. I currently need 3,000 hours of medical office time to get into the Graduate school program once I graduate and am having a hard time finding an internship to help me do that.

Nitasha

The advice I will give parents and students when they are looking for the right college is to see if it fits you so, you are not an odd person there. Also, make sure to see if the school is on a quarter or a semester system. Sometimes students have a hard time adjusting to different system. Living in the dorms is not always the best idea for a first time student. It can be hard to live with people who party a lot and want you to join them. Try to live close to the college that you want to go to. It will be really helpful when you need help with your homework from a professor or someone else. Some students get really depressed from being away from their families. Remember moving far away from you family is sometimes not the best idea. But sometime you just have to do things that you don?t want to do; for example, moving far away from your family to go to school. Make sure they have good administration and nice and helpful professors. Finding the right school can be hard. Good luck and have fun finding the right school :)

I tell my friends that a lot of famous and smart people who are running our country went to this university.

When it is time to sign up for classes. There is always problems. Also the finacial aid office are a pain in the butt. They always loose my papers.

California State University-Bakersfield administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.