Hackettstown, NJ
Centenary University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Centenary University

Fixed  rate loan

Abigail

The dorms for freshman are really due for an update; walls are cracking, bathrooms are almost always broken, and mice/ants are often a large problem. Cafeteria is also not very accommodating to meal restrictions, and food is not very good. Overall, academics are pretty good, and professors are often very helpful and accommodating yet students do need to ask for help when struggling. Apartments on campus are the best housing option, but hard to get into and based on GPA and class standing.

stanley

Centenary University is a very good school for students who have trouble learning in a very large classroom. The teachers are able to work much closer with you and they are extremely helpful. The campus is pretty updated and nice. The cafe has pretty good food selection of assorted food groups, and they are also willing to make you any type of food if needed. The campus could be boring at times, but besides that this is a great university.

Kristina

I love Centenary. The academic aspect of the school is on par with that of larger universities, and the small campus makes it easy for students to feel right at home. There truly is a place for everybody here, and we are always ready to welcome our newest Cyclone to the family!

Jamie

Centenary University has been life changing for me. I have met numerous new friends and my life has become much more exciting. I’ve been able to improve in my riding (Equestrian) immensely by training with decorated coaches and riding top horses. Everyone is very nice here. I never feel as if I am intimidated of anyone. I really enjoy all of the classes I get to take. Especially my equine related classes. All of my Professors are very supportive. I couldn’t be more pleased with my decision to attend Centenary.

The teachers are great, I love working with the professors and that is the main reason I decided to attend Centenary. Class sizes are amazing and the academic center is really good at accommodating learning disabilities. Otherwise, though, the school is not so good. I'm constantly fighting with admissions about course loads, wasted money, and other personal academic accommodations and the food is terrible but they won't let you opt out of the meal plan as a resident on campus. The upper class man apartments are really good housing but other than that is is mediocre at best.

Cheyenne

The facilities are well maintained, and even though some of the older buildings still need a little help, the overall campus is wonderful. Teachers are easily accessible through email if they can't be talked to during class or office hours. There is a wide variety of food, extracurricular activities, sports teams, and overall diversity on campus.

Christine

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself to not rely on friends to take classes with me. I would remind myself that I am taking classes to learn, and I do not have to talk to anyone, or socialize at all if I do not want to. As someone who has struggled with anxiety disorder for most of my life, that bit of encouragement would have helped me a lot going into college. I would also tell myself to drop classes instead of just not showing up anymore! I would have spared myself some worries if I had dropped classes so a failing grade did not affect my GPA. I would have also reminded myself that all the good jobs require a college degree, so to stick with it, and I would be able to get the job I wanted.

Someone who is overly conservative.

The small class size is fantastic, and the campus is beautiful.

Kelly

Centanary is unique in the way that it is a relatively small college where every professor is concerned for your well-being and they know who shows up to class and who doesn't. It is in the quaint town of Hackettstown in the mountains of New Jersey, and the campus is beautiful. I also like that the campus is small and I can walk anywhere within a matter of 10 minutes.

Dear Kelly from the past, Take those AP exams for the eight AP classes you took. You would have gotten the scores needed to get credit for the college courses that you need to take now, which would have saved a lot of time so that you can take a few classes for fun. Also, learn how to actually read the textbook, it will definitely help you study. Don't worry about what other people think of you. If they think you're boring because you don't drink then they're the boring ones who need alcohol for their dull personality. If they think you're not a nice person because you keep to yourself then that's their loss for not actually getting to know you. One more thing...long-distance relationships don't always work out and it's going to hurt when it doesn't but you don't need a man in your life right now to make you happy; as long as you have your friends, family, and you continue to get good grades, anything is possible.

The worst thing about Centenary is that the dormitories are run down and dilapidated. The school was built in 1867 and it shows…bugs throughout the underclassmen dorms, hardly any hot water, cracks in the walls and doors, and no elevators in a three story building (which normally I would not complain about but my father is physically disabled and I live on the third floor). I understand that the freshmen and sophomores are at the bottom of the food chain at college, but the living conditions are appalling. It makes me question where the $42,000 a year goes.

Alyssa

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would absolutely tell myself to try much harder when it comes to my grades. The better your grades are, the better chances of you getting a scholarship and getting into advanced programs at your school. I would have told myself to go to community college first, instead of my parents telling me I had to go there. Going to community college first was absolutely something that helped me save money and progress as a student. While I did not want to go, now that I have gone, I would tell any one to save their money and go to community college first and then transfer. It is a good learning experience and the harder you work at community college, your future four year school will see how hard you have tried and that you have goals of making it to their school.

I'd say that the worst thing about my school would be the dorms for freshman and sophomores; they are really dated and really made me not want to live on campus. When they show you them on the tour you can see many prospective students feel a little uneasy about them. If they updated them, there would absolutely be nothing wrong with my school!

A person who enjoys getting to know everyone and having someone know your name. I had been emailing back and forth with a transfer counselor and had never seen her before; at orientation she spotted me and pulled me aside to talk about my application! She knew who I was and what I looked like and I had never even met her before! If you like having relationships with your peers and teachers, this is the school for you. A place where you feel safe and important.

Kevin

Don't worry about sports. Exercise is important and a good diet, but make sure your main focus is reading.

This school isn't a party school. It's a school for serious students who want to learn and excel their career.

My college offers flexible classes for working adults, allowing me to take night classes and online classes.

Centenary University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.