Drexel University Top Questions

What should every freshman at Drexel University know before they start?

Tommy

Trust yourself. Be open to legitimate advice from others (friends, family, enemies, etc.), but remember that every aspect of your life should be and is your decision in the end. If you think you are making the right choice about something, think it over a little more before you completely commit. If you know you are making the right choice, then do it. Others may think they know best, but only you know what is best for you. Also, know this: everything will get better. It may not seem like it right now, and this may be rather difficult to believe, but trust me (yourself), everything will get better as long as you continue to give life a chance. Some things are not easy, but that does not mean that they are not worth it. It is cliched but true: what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. You will come out of this mess much stronger than you ever could have imagined. So you know what, accept it, be proud of yourself for it, cross that river, and hit the reset button on our life and turn these bad past experiences into truly useful, personal experience.

Jonathan

The advice I would have given myself as a high school senior would have been to be prepared in all aspects. What I mean by all aspects is asking myself, what is it that I want to major in, what kind of career do I desire, and more importantly, which school do I want to attend to lay foundation for this chosen profession. In addition to asking myself these questions, having all my bases covered including being financially stable would be another aspect. If money is an issue, like it is for most students, applying for employment is a critical step. For example, to become an executive chef, I would apply for internships or employment at a fine dining restaurant, a 5 star hotel, or a reputable hospital. Furthermore, I would work my way up as a dishwasher to gain that essential experience that's needed. In the meantime, I would apply for as many scholarships and grants, as I can. Once college begins, I would embark on establishing connections and networking with students in various types of majors. Knowing all of this, when I was a high school senior would've assisted me in numerous means.

Brean

I would make sure to save money for books and to have a secure financial plan. Hoenstly, one of the toughest situations that I am facing right now is the financial situation because I do not have a plan for paying for the next three years. This has caused me a lot of stress not only in college in general, but also in my social life becuase I have not been able to spend money without feeling guilty about it. I would also suggest know what you want to major in and trying to take AP classes revelvant to that major. I ended up taking all the AP classes not relevent to my major and only recieved general education credit instead of credit for my major.

Rachael

Knowing what I know now about college and the transition, I would tell myself, "Work hard, play hard". There is no guilt in going out with friends or binge-watching Breaking Bad on Netflix if you have worked as hard as you possibly can. This goes for high school students, undergraduate students, graduate students, and even those who have already started their careers. If you work hard in high school, you will have no problem continuing your strong work ethic in college and beyond. The sooner you adapt to a hard-working lifestyle, the sooner you will be more effective and efficient at doing so. Work hard, play hard!

Natahlia

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to focus and be a lot more determined than I actually was in high school. A few tips I would offer would be to master the art of studying because it never goes away no matter how old you get or however many grades you get promoted through. I would remind myself to take my time and not to be in such a rush to accept adult responsibilities, as I wanted to before I took a glance at a university tuition bill. I would make a note to take advantage of the people who are willing to help me through the education process, so that I may exert my full potentials to the best of my abilties. The best thing I think I am recognizing while experiencing the transition from high school to college is that there is so much to explore. In highschool, some students may find themselves subdued to one way of living or one way of thinking, but in college you are opened up and introduced to so much more than that.

Claudia

Apply to as any schools as possible. If you already picked, do a lot of research on the financial help the school provides to students. In the first year, join groups you know you'll stick to for more than one year because after the first year, you don't see the same people anymore and you should maintain a steady group of friends. As the years go on, it'll feel harder to make friends because people already established their groups. Make friends in different majors, colleges, etc., because you shouldn't depend on people in the same classes. You may not see them again and the quarters only last 11 weeks, counting finals week. Do try to speak to a few people in your classes at the beginning of term though because you never know when you'll be sick and unsure about what you missed in class, especially if the teachers don't know how to use the online system and won't be placing their notes/powerpoint slides online.

shabon

I would advise myself to search for scholarships to pay for school. It was extremely difficult financial to complete my undergraduate degree. I am now back in school to recieve another BS degree in nursing and financial assistance remains the same. I would also advise myself to choose nursing as a major instead of biobehavioral health. I was able to work in the health field with this major but was not able to do what I really wanted like assessing patients.

Dear high school senior, You are about to begin on an amazing journey in your life. It will have high points and low points but do not worry, you will be able to get through everything you face and be proud of your accomplishments. As you begin this journey, you will need to remember to breathe. It may sound silly now but you will see just how important it is. Everyone needs to take time to just stop and listen to what their body is telling them. By breathing, you avoid stress which can consume your college self if you let it. While you will discover quickly how important GPA is, do not let a number define who you are. All of your life accomplishments can never be summed up by two numbers. Above all remind yourself that you are an amazing individual who has overcome so much to get to this point in your life. It will not always be easy but you will be able to keep pushing through because that is what you know how to do best. Be confident in your knowledge and enjoy this wonderful chapter in your life. Good luck and you got this!

Jasmine

If I could start my college career over again, I would have pursued a nursing degree after graduating high school. As a freshman in college you are unsure about what area of study you want to concentrate on. I knew that if I did not attend college, my parents would have been disappointed. So here I am today, pursing a second bachelor's degree in nursing because my first degree in business management and marketing has not given me much opportunities. Working in a hospital setting for five years has shown me how much job security nursing has. I've always been interested in how the human body functions and I'm great at comforting others, so I know that I'll be a fantastic nurse some day. I want to help educate patients on taking preventative measures to a live a healthier lifestyle. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and join in on the on-going development of raising awareness on health issues. I have a kind heart and a courageous spirit and I want to change lives and impact the health-care world llike never before!

Aaron

Dear High-School Me, I hope you are having fun and enjoying your last year of high-school. There are a few things I would like to prepare you for as you make the illustrious journey to your first year of college. I know you didn’t make it into your top school, but trust me when I tell you that everything happens for a reason. Your first year of college is a huge transition. While all of your surroundings change, I ask that you stay grounded and do not allow your new environment to shift the person whom you are. You have worked harder than most of your peers attending this university and you will continue to have to work harder than them. But I promise you, the payoff will be extraordinary. Go into every situation with an open mind with no preconceived notions of what something will be like it. Prepare to be confronted with challenges you have never faced before, prepare to be tested in ways you never have been. Your first year is tough; “embrace the grind” don’t try to run from it. And remember even in the big city, A County Boy Can Survive.