Buffalo, NY
D'Youville College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend D'Youville College

Kaitlyn

My classmates are almost all on the same track I am academically so it is easy to relate to each other. Also D'Youville is a very health-field focused campus so many are on the same or similar path with similar interests. However, there is lots of variety and diversity to make everyone feel comfortable. Most people are very nice and approachable. Also while there are mostly young students there are a noticeable amount of older adult students. It is very interesting to get their perspectives.

There are so many things that I could tell myself with what I know now and there are many things that people did tell me as a high school senior that I now understand with new meaning. I left high school with lots of friends not realizing how much my life would change in just a few months. My biggest piece of advice would be to not have any expectations about college. Nobody can anticipate the way their lives are about to change or how little changes depending on the college and a persons personality. My second piece of advice would be to go away to college. Go live and experience something new and different. Go live on your own and become an adult. I didn't dorm at my school and that is one of my biggest regrets. I wish I had lived on campus at a college that was at least an hour away from home. You can always come home if it doesn't work out, but at least give yourself the option.

The kind of person that should attend this school is a hard-worker that is very motivated and will not give up easily when challenged. Also the person should want smaller class sizes and a more personal professor and student relationship. A large campus with lots of parties is not the atmosphere at D'Youville but that does not mean that it is all work and no play. There are plenty of opportunities and events for students and faculties, especially to learn and volunteer in the community.

Sydney

D'youville is a small community that is always there to support its students.

D'youville is a small community that is always there to support its students.

I would say, you dont always know what you want to do with your life and its okay to change your mind and alter the path you are on. Also do not be afraid to stand up for what you believe in because you never know people may say something cant be done, and you are always able to prove them wrong if you put your heart and mind to it.

The best thing about Dyouville is the class sizes. You are never a number and the teachers know who you are. making the whole experience more personal.

Meghin

My classmates at D'Youville are extremely focused, ready to learn, and willing to do whatever it takes to achieve their degree and goals.

I would first go back and tell myself to be ready to work hard. As a high school senior, I applied for a rigorous program at D'Youville; early assurance Pre-Pharmacy. I knew from the beginning it would be alot of work, but I underestimated just how much work it was going to be. My first couple weeks at college, I was like, "Jeez, this isn't bad at all, I have all this extra time to go to the gym, and have movie nights with friends. This semester will be super earsy." However, in my thrid week I had a rude awakening. I no longer had time for myself, or friends, or so I thought. I had to learn quickly to adjust to the work load, but to also make time for myself and friends. I learned to manage my time, to balance work and play. The second thing I would go back to tell myself is to be prepared to make sacrifices. When you get to college, there are so many choices you must make. I learned pretty quickly that there would be times that i would have to sacrifice my scoial life for my school work.

The most frustrating thing about D'Youville is the lack of things to do on campus.

Kristel

AS YOU JOURNEY IN LIFE, ONE OF THE MANY STEPS THAT YOU WILL TAKE IS TO PURSUE AN EDUCATION. SOME OF THE THINGS THAT YOU WILL REQUIRE IS A SPECIFIC CARRER,YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT AT FIRST BUT IT WOULD SURELY HELP IF YOU HAD A CERTAIN CAREER IN MIND. I HAVE REALIZED SOME THINGS , NOW THAT I AM OLDER, ONE DOESNT TRULY REALIZE WHAT THEIR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS UNTIL YOU GO OUT THERE AND FIND IT, LIFE IS MEANT TO BE ENJOYED AND LIVED WELL, THERE WILL BE DISSAPOINTMENTS BUT WHO IN THIS WORLD DOESNT GO THROUGH THAT ,TRY TO DO WHAT YOU LOVE, WHILE SERVING OTHERS , BECAUSE IT WILL BRING YOU PEACE AND COMFORT AND WILL MAKE OTHERS FEEL GOOD ALSO. TRY YOUR BEST TO DO WELL IN SCHOOL, YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR COLLEGE AND IT WOULD BE NICE TO TRY TO LEARN AND ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF COLLEGE AS YOU CAN, BECAUSE YOUR ONLY YOUNG ONCE AND IT WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU HAD ALL OF THE STUDYING DONE NOW, THEN WHEN YOU ARE OLDER. YOU WILL HAVE FUN WITH THE CAREER YOU CHOOSE AND IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT.

If I knew what I know now about college when I was in highschool, I would ask myself the question of what I really like. When I started college I was really undecided on a major. In highschool noone explained what kind of careers there are in this world. When i thought of careers I thought of basic ones; doctors, nurse,lawyer..etc. Being in college has made me do a lot of research of what I reallly love and possible careers doing what I really like.

Paige

I would tell myself to learn better study habits for science related classes and accept tutoring a lot sooner. I would also tell myself to watch out for those who say they are willing to help but are also out only to better themselves. I would also change some of the ways that i have approached certain situations and tell myself to look at all possible outcomes that could come from them. try to find a better way or more efficient way to handle things.

The worst thing about DYC is id have to say the ability to stay in the dorms. The school almost makes it impossible to make accomadations for those who do not live in the area to stay in the dorms when needed. They say its like our home away from home but what good is a home if you can be kicked out for vacations and school closings and you dont have any other place to stay?

The most frustrating thing about DYC is often people will say that they are there for you and willing to help, but when you find yourself actually needing help there not there. Then the second things are better or going someplace good then it will jump in and try to help which makes things worse.

kayla

If I could go back in time to high school I'd tell my younger self to have more courage. I use courage very generally to cover many areas of my life. I'd say, "Kayla, have the courage to make more friends outside of your comfort zone and stand up for what you believe in. Do not allow that person to spew slurs at that kid in the hallway for any reason, much less because he is 'different'. Have the courage to join more groups and spread yourself thinner through packed schedules and volunteering. Believe me, you can handle it and it will prepare you. Take a second and have the courage to tell those around you, even the ones who do not know their effect, ‘Thank You' before it is too late, please. Learn from your mistakes and stay true to yourself because college is going to test you but if you practice these courageous habits you will grow further than you thought possible, and it will not end there. Have the courage to not make excuses and be the exemplary older sister you are. Have courage, Kayla. You will be phenomenal."

My academics-class sizes are small and intimate. Also we're very close to Elmwood (art district)!

SUCH a small campus with almost no food or recreation options around at all. Very few social 'college experience' opportunitites and extremely limited activities through the school. Not even bus passes.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have one very important message for myself. I would tell myself to live more fully by being open to opportunities that come my way. Coming from a small town with little diversity, I was very shy growing up and was not exposed to different cultures. Today however, I am very fortunate to attend D'Youville College and live in the diverse city of Buffalo. I have been exposed to so many different ideas and ways of life, and they are all so beautiful to me. Most importantly, I have learned that there are more beliefs in the world besides mine. Therefore, there is more than one way to solve a given problem. Being open to different beliefs and opinions did not always come easy for me. It would have been helpful if I could have given myself such advice. Today, I am a more open person in general which has made me a more understanding person, who will be able to better care for my patients when I graduate as a nurse and later become a Family Nurse Practitioner.

I would have to say there are two best things about my school: diversity and small size. There is so much diversity in my school which has exposed me to so many cultures which is fantastic. The college itself is small which is nice because I come from a small town and I don't particularly like big schools. Teachers know who I am and they are able to help their students because there aren't too many.

Parking! I buy a 70 dollar parking pass every year and still have a very difficult time finding a parking spot. I do not like to park on the streets because D'Youville is in the city which means there are many rules to when you can and can't park on certain streets. It's a pain because many times the roads aren't marked with signs and I have gotten a few tickets because of it.

Brian

The most important thing that I would tell myself before entering college would be that there will be many distractions, including choices and situations that you have never encountered before. While there will be a time and a place to allow these distractions to take hold, and experience many of the new things that college life has to offer, the major point is to keep your eye on the prize. You are going to college for a reason, to better yourself and hopefully your quality of life, and spending a good deal of money for the education you are receiving. Make sure you take advantage of that education by going to classes, asking sound questions, getting to know your professors where possible, and utilizing all of the tools and services the college provides in order to help you to succeed in getting your degree and reaching your goals. After all, you are paying for them, make sure you are getting the most for your money. And finally, develop a network of fellow students in your major, and join the campus student association that is involved with your major and future profession.

I wish I had known how bad the parking situation was. If you take early classes it isn't that big of an issue, but if you have classes starting after 10am, finding a spot in one of the campus lots or even near campus can be a challenge for sure.

Other than the issue that students can have with parking, there hasn't really been anything that has really frustrated me. However, I am a little frustrated that on top of how expensive the tuition is, which I don't mind since I believe I am getting an excellent education here, I am being charged over $100 for Kaplan testing services which is required in order to help students prepare for the nursing licensure exam. This is required for the next five semesters.

D'Youville College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.