Atlanta, GA
Emory University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Emory University

Mel

Best thing about emory are the resources all around, the opportunities (ie research facilities such as winship and yerkes, hope lodge, ronald mcdonald house) the plentiful volunteer opportunities, the amount of people is just right, when I tell people I go to emory they don't have any idea where or what that is, I spend most of my time on campus at the research lab, volunteering, or doing work in the library, The counseling is pretty bad most of the time, there is close to no school pride. Bad food is the most frequent complaint.

No student would feel out of place at emory we really do have a variety of people. There is some segregation though,

Smaller classes professors do no my name, my favorite class would have to be my bio seminar, my least favorite would have to be...I don't really not like any of my classes though my religion class can get dry. Students are not that competitive they usually want to help each other, the most unique class I;ve taken in buddhism with a former monk, I don't spend time with professors though Id like to. Academ requirements are ok, emory is geared towards both

Most popular would probably be indian dance groups, basketball team...traditions=Wonderful Wed. I hang out in the city of campus there are many little places to go like little 5, buckhead, etc

Jappy, rich, snobby, nerdy, can't play sports, mostly from long island

Cristy

Just the right size. People seem impressed when I tell them I go to Emory. Most people assume I spend most of my time at the library (which I do not). School pride exists but not as much as other schools. Probably because we don't have a football team. Most frequent complaints is that school is hard work. There exists lots of stress during exam times/paper dates.

A common stereotype Emory has is that most of its students are New York jews. This isn't necessarily true as I've met many people from all over the country and various other countries and from all sorts of religious backgrounds.

Emory's size allows me to have a close relationship with most of my professors. Intellectual conversations do exist outside of class. In fact, most students talk about school-related subjects when they hang out on nights and weekends. Education at Emory is geared to whatever the student wants it to be geared to.

Greek life is pretty popular at Emory. Athletic events aren't as popular as in other larger schools. Emory has a very social environment. People party as much as they study. Popular places to go are on-campus parties, clubs in downtown, and bars.

smart, great school, play hard-work hard atmosphere

Heather

The best thing about emory well theres a lot it hard to name one i love the people and the weather i guess are top 2 I would change the food! it stinks i'm on ameal plan and have to spend so much more money on food and were not near a super market!! Also i would change houseing its pitiful for such an expensive school to have such nasty housing options. I feel the size is just right. When i tell people i go to emory there impressed we have a very smart reputation and its well deserved. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm its very social or the library. "what college town" you really need a car our town is just a very restoraunts its nice but not big enough! I don't really know the administration that well. recent controversy is the houseing especially next year being a sophmore the choices were very limiting and not very good. We kind of have no spirit One experiance i'll always remember is when i found out what soroity i was in.. it was amazing! frequent complaints is the food!!!

The kids here are either asian or jewish to be honest were not that diverse. Someone who isn't used to jewish or asian people would feel out of place, also someone who doens't have money people are very well off here. Most students what ever they want to class sweat pants pjs what ever.

it is a very wealthy school but i'm from long island and the people are much more down to earth and yes everyone is very smart.

Most professors know my name but i go to office hours. Favorite class is probably sociaology it was interesting and not a lot of work. Least favorite chem lab!!! its actually not a class its attached to chem but it stinks our labs here are horrible and pointless. Students study a lot constantly atthe library. In class participation is very common Depends who your with if your having an ittelectual conversation It depends the student if they are competitive i don't think its as bad as my high school. The most unique class is nbb 190 the mis measure of men and women very different My major is NBB but i haven't declared yet so i don't know that mucha bout it too many requirments they should cut them down it is geared towards getting a job

Rich, Japy, materialistic, very long islan, smart

Ben

The school offers a tremendous amount of opportunities. In terms of the number of students that have graduated from Emory, the school is new. By far, the majority of students that graduated from Emory graduated within the last few decades. Considering this, it is understandable that not everyone has heard of Emory, but remarkable that so many people already have. The amount and quality of the effort going into making Emory an even more powerful institution is extraordinarily great.

These stereotypes are most certainly not accurate. Only a small percent of the students are from Long Island. Most are from all over the United States and the world. The average Emory student does not have a lot of money and those that do are not frequently open to let people know that. The majority of Emory students seem to love Emory. Without big name sports teams, I think, people do not know how to identify school spirit. Everyday, for instance, in the frequently warm weather masses of students visit the Clairmont pool to hang out together. Most organizations on campus throw successful campus wide events, Dooley's Week and Best in Show have students turn out in the thousands, and, when publicized, some sporting events like track, soccer and rugby have hundreds of students turning out to watch. I have met loads of attractive people at Emory. The likelihood of there not being a load of attractive people at a school where there are 12,000 students (graduate and undergraduate)is not very high.

Most professors know my name, many of them stop me to say hello, even if I had them three years ago. Emory has some of the most demanding general education requirements in the country, but I am glad that I took every one of my GERs. With class comments and syllabuses online, it is easy to get information about classes and figure out which ones one is interested in taking. There are many extremely talented professors instructing at Emory. For example, Mel Konner, Frederick Marcus and George Armelagos are fantastic.

Stereotypes that I hear a lot are that students at Emory are spoiled, or are from Long Island, are not the most attractive, are not the most friendly, and that there is not a lot of school spirit.

Nikki

Best thing? Emory is beautiful and the resources are amazing. One thing I'd change? People are far too rude. Emory is just the right size. Most people that I've encountered in Ohio have not heard of Emory. I spent most of my time in my dorm room. What college town? They are working on Emory village which is outside of college, but it could be a lot better. The administration does not follow through with what they say they will do. The waste a lot of money and don't have their priorities straight. The RAs don't care if freshmen drink, which is really sad. There is a lot of school pride but not as much as many other colleges because Emory lacks a football team. Something that is sort of unusual is that they have their own museum. Most frequent student complaints are about the dining hall and how depressing Emory is. Many students become depressed while at Emory.

Emory is predominantly white. There are many Asians and they stick together. Although Emory is methodist founded, the majority of students are Jewish, though there are some Catholics as well. Emory students are well-off for the most part. Most students wear jeans to class although occasionally someone will wear pjs. A lot of students are from Georgia but many are from all around. The diversity is nice. Students are predominantly liberal.

Emory puts on a good front for you at open house. Definitely stay with a student who is not involved with the tours so you can really see what Emory is like. I thought I would love Emory but when I got there it was the complete opposite of what I had expected. I actually transferred because I was so depressed. The alcohol abuse is disgusting. Emory is definitely a party school for smart students.

Professors know your name in smaller classes, but definitely not in the large lectures. Students study a lot but many go out and drink on Thursday nights. Emory is more of a party school than you'd think. Students at Emory are very competitive. Education is aimed toward getting a job.

If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, you are studying/doing homework. People party a lot at Emory. Fraternities are important because they host the parties. Drinking is pretty much the only option for a Saturday night. They try to put on events but most students party. Alcohol abuse is rampant at Emory. For freshman there is hardly any way to get off campus and it's really boring.

Smart, ivy league rejects, rich, stuck up.

Dylan

The best things about Emory are its diversity and connections. I'm not going to lie. Students get to meet a lot of people who own businesses and corporations and write Oscar-nominated screenplays and publish books and I for one appreciate it. There are a lot of different kinds of people on campus which tends to make like a bit more interesting. Various races, ethnicities, religions, etc. are present on campus and you can learn a lot by simply going to lunch. Not that all discussion is deep and philosophical, just that there is the possibility of it all the time. I love the size of the school, it's just right for me. People react really well when I tell them I go to Emory. They're usuall impressed. It sucks that we don't have a football team, but I got over it a while ago.

I don't think any kind of student would feel out of place at Emory unless it's a student who doesn't want to study or do any work. Even those can do so, just with obvious repercussions. Students don't dress up an awful lot to go to class. You'll see the occassional girl who's obviously trying to impress some guy and the people who have some type of interview or professional engagement, but I never get the impression that people are dressing in ways that they wouldn't dress if they were somewhere else. Different types of students interact on a regular basis because being part of different university activities requires it. Students are more politically aware than they are active but there are those that campaign fiercely for their candidate.

I absolutely LOVE my school!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as Emory being elitist, I don't know how much sway that claim holds with me. Yeah, there are a lot of rich kids here and I know there are not too many kids at state colleges who drives brand new BMWs, but that doesn't necessarily make us elitist. A lot of kids attend Emory whose parents are not rich and they haven't had the same opportunities as the rich kids. But they're here and not made to feel uncomfortable or anything. I don't hear too many conversations centering around students' wealth. The leftist and liberal charges I understand a little more, but those people have to understand that at a university whose mission concerns diversity, every viewis going to be espoused. If you don't like it, don't listen. While I don't agree with a lot of things that I hear, I understand why the university allows it. Wasting taxpayer dollars. Well, I'm not entirely sure how we're getting those taxpayer dollars, but I do feel the mainstream media is not a reliable critic on the worth or validity of a particular type of research. If grants are going to departments and people at Emory and they're using them in a truthful manner, it's not really anyone else's business. If it bothers them that much, they should take it up with the government agencies who give them the grants. Not only that, but research at Emory has done much more than the average person knows, like discovering breakthrough AIDS medication. If the public was able to determine the direction of research because of a misleading news media report, who knows if that would have happened? As far as the landscaping goes, frankly, I appreciate it. It's nice to walk to class and see pretty flowers and cut grass. I would much rather that than a gray, sterile, concrete campus that is very uninspiring. With regard to the rankings, it is the school's present rankings that make its alumni's degrees worth anything. If the school was ranked number 78, that degree wouldn't be so impressive. Not to mention the fact that I don't see any evidence of the university being obsessed with rankings. Nothing is ever said to students with regard to our part in increasing the rankings, so I don't know where that's coming from. As far as activism goes, having to go through a campus office before putting up flyers and the like is something I'm glad they do. No one is discriminated against, they just have to get permission. I don't want to be overtaken by zealots on my way to class every day. And there is activism on campus, it's just not intrusive and brash.

Yes, professors do know your name. Class sizes are generally small enough for that to happen and I like that. My favorite classes have been my Creative Writing classes because the creative atmosphere is awesome. Ideas are bounced back and forth in a really uplifting way and I like that. Students study a lot. We have to and there's really no other way to say it. Yes, Emory students do have intellectual conversations outside of class and I love participating in them because it usually makes me feel very academic and collegiate. I feel an Emory education can be tailored towards whether or not the student is interested in getting a job or learning for its own sake. The general education requirements force you to take classes outside of your discipline and there's no reason for you to be there other than to learn and I like that. Taking classes for fun is encouraged and a lot of students come in with enough AP credit that they can do that.

There are not any "most popular" organizations or groups on campus. I can't really think of one that is predominant, I just know that there are a lot out there for pretty much anything a person wants to do. There are religious groups, academic groups, fine arts groups, athletic groups, pretty much anything you want to do. Students in freshman dorms leave their doors open, students in other dorms are usually rooming with people they want to and the doors are kind of heavy to prop open for that random person walking down the hall. Your friends would probably be in your room already. Theater is pretty vibrant but I would say that the same people attend the events on a regular basis rather than the entire student body partaking of them. I haven't found anyone I want to date, but then, I'm not a social butterfly and don't know half the student body either. I met my closest friends in my dorm freshman year. We still hang out and genuinely like each other. Other's I've met through those same friends. If you're awake on at 2 am on a Tuesday morning, you're hanging out with your friends while pretending to study because you seriously have a test coming up or paper to finish or book to read so you don't look like a butt in class in the morning. People usually party every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Fraternities and sororities are more important to the people in them than anybody else. Last weekend I did homework, went to cabaret practice and worked. But then I'm one of the more boring people on campus I suppose.

I've heard all kinds of things about Emory, some true, some not so true. I've heard that Emory is elitist, leftist, and too liberal. The university has been accused of wasting tax payer dollars (which I don't really understand, us being a private university)and spending too much money on it's landscaping. I've heard people say that the school is mainly concerned with rankings and there's not enough activism on campus. Emory has been considered part of the Ivy League of the south and Newsweek has named us one of its 25 New Ivies.

Katherine

Atlanta and great professors fewer general education requirements Just right People are generally impressed when I tell them I go to Emory, but surprised that I'm not premed or business. Sorority lodge and the library Atlanta isn't a typical "college town" but there are tons of great restaurants and bars that are affordable for college students As far as I can tell, the adminstration seems competent and reasonable A conversative speaker was invited by College Republicans and got booed offstage People bitch about there not being enough school pride and blame it on our not having a football team, but I think that's stupid. You make your own school pride. Emory's unusual in that's it's the most Northern school that could possibly exist in a Georgia. I'll never forget the time my sorority had a pledge event with ATO. It ended with me wrestling my "little sister" to the ground while yelling that I was the crocodile hunter and she was my crocodile. I love Greek life. People complain a lot about GERs (General Education Requirements). There are a ton, and since everybody has to take them they're hard to get into.

Somewhat. There's definitely a jappy, coked out contigent, but they're far from the majority of students. Emory's pretty diverse, and it's hard to stereotype the students.

If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm leaving a bar and anticipating drunk ordering wings. All the devoted partiers go to the Virginia Highlands area on Tuesdays and hit up the bars there- Moe's and Joe's, Noche, and Fontaine's. The bars are small and always packed on Tuesdays, with lots of table hopping and drink spilling. Once they close, everybody goes to Maggie's, a bar in Toco Hills that will let in anybody with an ID that says 21, no matter how shitty the ID is. Tuesday night going-out is a hangover from pre-1982, when there were no classes on Wednesday (aka "Wonderful Wednesday"). The Wonderful Wednesday tradition continues with food and entertainment at Asbury Circle, but now there are classes.

Jappy, coked out trust fund kids.

Mel

I believe that the best thing about Emory is the professors. Aside from being very smart and intelligent, they are very friendly. They are always available for office hours and/or by appointment if you are having difficulties in class. Also, Health Services is very good at this school. The doctors are always availableand if you really sick, they always accept walk-ins. I think my school size is just right. I know most of the people here, and most of them know me. What is so amazing about everything is despite its small size, you still meet people every time you go out and such. When I tell people about Emory, I always get a positive reaction from them. Emory has a great reputation, and I feel really proud telling people I go here. Most of my time on campus I spend it in the library. Obviously i go there to study, but sometimes, especially during finals, you ran into everybody at the school. Most people say the library is like another Maggies, our famous bar. The only thing that I would change about Emory is its pride. People don't usually attend school events or sports games, so school pride is not a big thing here. I think its because we don't have a football team.

One thing that I have noticed about Emory is its lack of diversity. Yes, Emory has students from around the world, but in very, very small percentages. People here are mostly from the same background, and international students may feel out of place. I was born in Colombia, and later moved to the States. i felt a big cultural shock when I came here because the people were so different from me.I would enjoy my time here more if Emory had more people from Latin America and other parts of the world. Most students wear to class comfortable clothes. Sweats, big T-shirts, and baggy sweaters. Fashion isn't really big here.

Although there is a really high percentage of students from the north and who are jewish, most of them don't fit the typical Emory stereotype. Yes, most people at Emory are very wealthy, which is why they can afford to pay $40,000 dollars of tuition and want to belong to the university known as the Ivy League of the South. But you also notice that people at Emory are very ground to earth and don't believe in showing off because a majority at the school comes from a high social status.

As I mentioned before, I love the professors at this school. Most of them try really hard to know their students name, which makes us feel special. My favorite class without a doubt is Portuguese 412. I am a Portuguese minor, and I really like my professor. She is originally from Brazil, and she loves to teach others about her country. I think my least favorite class is PE. I workout a lot outside of class, so sometimes it can be really boring going back to the gym twice a day. Students study a lot at this school Most of them are really committed and can spend hours at end trying to get their work done. All nighters are really common amongst students. The most unique class I have taken has to be theater. I really loved the interactivity in the class. I learned so much about myself, and expressing myself in front of others. I am a Journalism major. At first I thought it was going to be an easy, but I was mistaken. Its a lot of writing, and sometimes its a little too much. But Emory has a great Writing Center that helps me with my grammar and organization which has been a big help for me. Education ar Emory is geared toward getting a job. Most of the professors prepare us for our future careers, especially in my field. My professor right now is teaching us about vocalization in case we want to go into broadcast.

Without a doubt, greek life is really important here. Most of the school body belongs to a fraternity/sorority and most of the social events revolve around these. I belong to tri-delt and I absolutely love it. There is always something to do, whether its a mixer or a date party. You meet tons of girls/guys who are really happy to meet you too. Athletic events aren't really popular. Most people don't go to them, either because they don't know about it or because they don't care. Although recently, the basketball games are becoming a big hit on campus because the team just beat Rochester, the number one team in the country. Tuesdays are really fun here, most people go to the Highlands, where most of the bars are. All of us meet at the same place and drink the famous margaritas that are sold at Noche. Finally, everybody heads to Maggies, to end the night. On night that you don't want to drink, there are tons of stuff to do. Atlanta has a lot of delicious restaurants. You can also go to the movies or go shopping to one of its many malls.

Emory Students are thought to be rich, liberal, jewish kids from the North, mostly from New York and Long Island. Most people say students go to Emory because they could not get into an Ivy league school. Also, people believe that Emory is a very diverse university.

Brian

As a memember of a fraternity, I have to say that Greek life is the best thing about Emory. It make social networking a hell of a lot easier and it's fun to be around a huge group of cool guys that have similar tastes and ambitions, but who are still diverse in personality. Emory often feels a little bit too small in terms of its student body. At times it seems that everyone knows everyone through Greek life, classes, etc. However, most of the time, it seems just right. It can often feel like a cozy little community. The Emory Administration seems to be a bit greedy. Students who are not on financial aid pay about 45,000 dollars to go here, and yet we are still over-charged on parking, books, printing, food, etc... Sometimes Emory feels like a money-hungry corporation. There's not much school pride at Emory, but it's definitely growing. Emory students know how to party. If there was a way to calculate the ratio between partying and studying, one would discover that Emory students somehow find a way to do a lot of both. I suppose Emory students are pretty intense in both social and academic activity.

While Emory has a diverse student body, different ethnic and social groups do not intermix well. Asian students hang out with other Asians, Jews with Jews, black students with black students, etc... Most Emory students are from suburbs of large cities (New York, Chicago,and Boston seem to be the most common). One only needs to visit an Emory parking lot to understand the financial background of Emory Students (sometimes it looks like an Audi or BMW dealership here) Many students are politlcally aware. Since a bulk of the student body is from the northeast, it seems that students are mostly politically liberal.

It is true, that many Emory Students fit the aforementioned description. However, most of these students are concentrated in Greek Organizations, which only make up 30% of the student body. The other 70% of Emory is rather diverse, not only ethnically, but socially.

My experience in Emory academia revolves around the English department: - Great teachers who are friendly, approachable, and extraordinarily intelligent - I have found the liberal arts education at Emory to be extremely inspiring - Some students have intellectual discussion outside of class. Some students party. - The Business School at Emory is geared for students to find jobs, the liberal arts education is geared toward learning for its own sake

Sometimes it seems that social life revolves around Greek life. Much of the bar and party scene does revolve around fraternities and sororities. However, I'm sure that there is a broad and diverse social life beyond the walls of Greek life. 2am on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, you are Maggies Bar and Grill (Emory's dive bar). Emory has some pretty impressive guest speakers (Jimmy Carter, Salmon Rushdie, The Dalai Lama). I hope that most students take advantage of these opportunities.

The most common stereotype is that Emory Students are rich, Jewish, and Jappy. It is said that most of us are from Long Island.

Emory University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.