Atlanta, GA
Emory University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Emory University

Hunter

Best thing about emory is the academics and teachers. I havent taken one class I have not learned from or dislike. I would like to have a football team though. I'm a pledge for a frat, so that's fun yet time consuming.

Very northeastern, many affluent "jappy" people can be found all over campus.

Whitney

perfect size. people seem either impressed or cangratulatory when i tell them where i go to school but some people have never heard of it. most of my time is spent either in my dorm. the college town has a few good restaurants that provide a good variety from the cafeteria. the administration seems to do a good job and the most recent big issue has been the APES organization. School pride is moderate mainly because of a lack of sports.

i havnt noticed any student body problems. its a very welcoming community.

no. alot are but its a pretty diverse population

all the profs are great i love all my classes. i dont feel like im just a face in a big picture they all know my name regardless of the size of the class. most people participate and people have been known to talk about their material out of the classroom. most unique class so far has been classical mythology. the academic requirements seem fair and allow you to get a taste of all the departments.

good social scene. everyones nice and open to making new friends. alot of good bars and clubs nearby.

John

The best thing about Emory is the fact that it is social and also academically challenging with great rankings. I would change cafeteria food- it is pretty repetitive and boring. The size of the school is just right- you see people you know when you walk around. People are impressed when I say I go to Emory. I spend most of my time on campus between the dorm, the gym and fraternities. Emory's administration does a good job of presenting Emory in a positive way- I do not think they are always correct on their political stance. The biggest recent controversy on campus is the Apes fraternity getting in trouble / rushing. There is a decent amount of school pride- however the school could use some more school spirit at sports games. Emory is its own bubble in Atlanta where people from all different backgrounds learn and share experiences. One experience I will always remember is song-fest the inter Freshman dorm song competition. The most frequent student complaints are probably about the food at the DUC and that it is not very political or opinionated.

There is a large Jewish population on campus and a small close knit black community. It is possible to get involved in both if you put yourself out there and leave your comfort zone. There is a broad spectrum of socio-economic classes on campus however, probably most students are fairly well off. Students are not very politcally active or aware. Students discuss future incomes occasionally.

Not everyone is from Long Island although there are a lot of them here. Many students are either pre-med of pre BBA.

Professors do know my name however, you can get by in the big sized classes unnoticed. My favorite class was Arms and the Man- a Freshman seminar studying the psychology of soldiers in war and about war in general. It combined watching very interesting movies with entertaining war books. My least favorite class is Decision Science- the teacher is unclear. Class participation is common and students occasionally have intellectual conversations outside of class.

There are popular acapella groups as well as IM sports. There are also two step teams which are really cool. There are also religous groups such as Muslim Student Asociation, Hillel, Emory Students for Israel, Pakistani Student Association and Black Student Association as well. Most of the social scene revolves around fraternities and sororities. The good thing about them is that there is usually a fraternity or sorority for almost any student. There are restaurants, bars, movie theaters, sports games, malls in around Atlanta that you can go to off campus.

That everyone is either pre-med or pre-business. Most people are career oriented and from Long-Island

alex

Emory is a very prestigous school. Academics are important to all students. The school is a perfect size. You don't know everyone when you walk around campus, but you definitily see familiar faces. Because there aren't big time sports teams, emory's school pride is not exactly as high as at some other schools. The school really takes care of its students.

All groups are included and have a place. Korean studetnsfrom korea tend to hang out with each other and black students tend to hang out with each other. Economically, most people are affluent. Other than that, there is a lot of diversity. Studetns vary in political activism.

There is a large jewish population and a large population from new york, but there are people from many other places. Emory is not as economically diverse as some other schools that I have visited. Many Korean students from Korea and black students seem to hang out in groups that only consist of people like them. I have never really witnessed much anti-semitism or any other kind of racism or clickiness.

Most students are very intellectual and engage in intellectual conversation both in and out of the classroom. My expereinces with professors thus far have all been positive. The work load is managable. I need to work to get good grades, but A's are definitily attainable. There are too many general education requirements and the amount of classes that satisfy each GER is not enough.

Fraternities are very popular on campus and they generate most of the nightlife. My dorm floor has an open door policy. Dooley's ball happens every year which is like a week of social functions. People party 0-4 nights a week for the most part.

its made up of long island jews. It is not ecnomically diverse. There is diversity but groups tend to hang out together.

Mel

Best thing about emory are the resources all around, the opportunities (ie research facilities such as winship and yerkes, hope lodge, ronald mcdonald house) the plentiful volunteer opportunities, the amount of people is just right, when I tell people I go to emory they don't have any idea where or what that is, I spend most of my time on campus at the research lab, volunteering, or doing work in the library, The counseling is pretty bad most of the time, there is close to no school pride. Bad food is the most frequent complaint.

No student would feel out of place at emory we really do have a variety of people. There is some segregation though,

Smaller classes professors do no my name, my favorite class would have to be my bio seminar, my least favorite would have to be...I don't really not like any of my classes though my religion class can get dry. Students are not that competitive they usually want to help each other, the most unique class I;ve taken in buddhism with a former monk, I don't spend time with professors though Id like to. Academ requirements are ok, emory is geared towards both

Most popular would probably be indian dance groups, basketball team...traditions=Wonderful Wed. I hang out in the city of campus there are many little places to go like little 5, buckhead, etc

Jappy, rich, snobby, nerdy, can't play sports, mostly from long island

Cristy

Just the right size. People seem impressed when I tell them I go to Emory. Most people assume I spend most of my time at the library (which I do not). School pride exists but not as much as other schools. Probably because we don't have a football team. Most frequent complaints is that school is hard work. There exists lots of stress during exam times/paper dates.

A common stereotype Emory has is that most of its students are New York jews. This isn't necessarily true as I've met many people from all over the country and various other countries and from all sorts of religious backgrounds.

Emory's size allows me to have a close relationship with most of my professors. Intellectual conversations do exist outside of class. In fact, most students talk about school-related subjects when they hang out on nights and weekends. Education at Emory is geared to whatever the student wants it to be geared to.

Greek life is pretty popular at Emory. Athletic events aren't as popular as in other larger schools. Emory has a very social environment. People party as much as they study. Popular places to go are on-campus parties, clubs in downtown, and bars.

smart, great school, play hard-work hard atmosphere

Heather

The best thing about emory well theres a lot it hard to name one i love the people and the weather i guess are top 2 I would change the food! it stinks i'm on ameal plan and have to spend so much more money on food and were not near a super market!! Also i would change houseing its pitiful for such an expensive school to have such nasty housing options. I feel the size is just right. When i tell people i go to emory there impressed we have a very smart reputation and its well deserved. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm its very social or the library. "what college town" you really need a car our town is just a very restoraunts its nice but not big enough! I don't really know the administration that well. recent controversy is the houseing especially next year being a sophmore the choices were very limiting and not very good. We kind of have no spirit One experiance i'll always remember is when i found out what soroity i was in.. it was amazing! frequent complaints is the food!!!

The kids here are either asian or jewish to be honest were not that diverse. Someone who isn't used to jewish or asian people would feel out of place, also someone who doens't have money people are very well off here. Most students what ever they want to class sweat pants pjs what ever.

it is a very wealthy school but i'm from long island and the people are much more down to earth and yes everyone is very smart.

Most professors know my name but i go to office hours. Favorite class is probably sociaology it was interesting and not a lot of work. Least favorite chem lab!!! its actually not a class its attached to chem but it stinks our labs here are horrible and pointless. Students study a lot constantly atthe library. In class participation is very common Depends who your with if your having an ittelectual conversation It depends the student if they are competitive i don't think its as bad as my high school. The most unique class is nbb 190 the mis measure of men and women very different My major is NBB but i haven't declared yet so i don't know that mucha bout it too many requirments they should cut them down it is geared towards getting a job

Rich, Japy, materialistic, very long islan, smart

Ben

The school offers a tremendous amount of opportunities. In terms of the number of students that have graduated from Emory, the school is new. By far, the majority of students that graduated from Emory graduated within the last few decades. Considering this, it is understandable that not everyone has heard of Emory, but remarkable that so many people already have. The amount and quality of the effort going into making Emory an even more powerful institution is extraordinarily great.

These stereotypes are most certainly not accurate. Only a small percent of the students are from Long Island. Most are from all over the United States and the world. The average Emory student does not have a lot of money and those that do are not frequently open to let people know that. The majority of Emory students seem to love Emory. Without big name sports teams, I think, people do not know how to identify school spirit. Everyday, for instance, in the frequently warm weather masses of students visit the Clairmont pool to hang out together. Most organizations on campus throw successful campus wide events, Dooley's Week and Best in Show have students turn out in the thousands, and, when publicized, some sporting events like track, soccer and rugby have hundreds of students turning out to watch. I have met loads of attractive people at Emory. The likelihood of there not being a load of attractive people at a school where there are 12,000 students (graduate and undergraduate)is not very high.

Most professors know my name, many of them stop me to say hello, even if I had them three years ago. Emory has some of the most demanding general education requirements in the country, but I am glad that I took every one of my GERs. With class comments and syllabuses online, it is easy to get information about classes and figure out which ones one is interested in taking. There are many extremely talented professors instructing at Emory. For example, Mel Konner, Frederick Marcus and George Armelagos are fantastic.

Stereotypes that I hear a lot are that students at Emory are spoiled, or are from Long Island, are not the most attractive, are not the most friendly, and that there is not a lot of school spirit.

Nikki

Best thing? Emory is beautiful and the resources are amazing. One thing I'd change? People are far too rude. Emory is just the right size. Most people that I've encountered in Ohio have not heard of Emory. I spent most of my time in my dorm room. What college town? They are working on Emory village which is outside of college, but it could be a lot better. The administration does not follow through with what they say they will do. The waste a lot of money and don't have their priorities straight. The RAs don't care if freshmen drink, which is really sad. There is a lot of school pride but not as much as many other colleges because Emory lacks a football team. Something that is sort of unusual is that they have their own museum. Most frequent student complaints are about the dining hall and how depressing Emory is. Many students become depressed while at Emory.

Emory is predominantly white. There are many Asians and they stick together. Although Emory is methodist founded, the majority of students are Jewish, though there are some Catholics as well. Emory students are well-off for the most part. Most students wear jeans to class although occasionally someone will wear pjs. A lot of students are from Georgia but many are from all around. The diversity is nice. Students are predominantly liberal.

Emory puts on a good front for you at open house. Definitely stay with a student who is not involved with the tours so you can really see what Emory is like. I thought I would love Emory but when I got there it was the complete opposite of what I had expected. I actually transferred because I was so depressed. The alcohol abuse is disgusting. Emory is definitely a party school for smart students.

Professors know your name in smaller classes, but definitely not in the large lectures. Students study a lot but many go out and drink on Thursday nights. Emory is more of a party school than you'd think. Students at Emory are very competitive. Education is aimed toward getting a job.

If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, you are studying/doing homework. People party a lot at Emory. Fraternities are important because they host the parties. Drinking is pretty much the only option for a Saturday night. They try to put on events but most students party. Alcohol abuse is rampant at Emory. For freshman there is hardly any way to get off campus and it's really boring.

Smart, ivy league rejects, rich, stuck up.

Dylan

The best things about Emory are its diversity and connections. I'm not going to lie. Students get to meet a lot of people who own businesses and corporations and write Oscar-nominated screenplays and publish books and I for one appreciate it. There are a lot of different kinds of people on campus which tends to make like a bit more interesting. Various races, ethnicities, religions, etc. are present on campus and you can learn a lot by simply going to lunch. Not that all discussion is deep and philosophical, just that there is the possibility of it all the time. I love the size of the school, it's just right for me. People react really well when I tell them I go to Emory. They're usuall impressed. It sucks that we don't have a football team, but I got over it a while ago.

I don't think any kind of student would feel out of place at Emory unless it's a student who doesn't want to study or do any work. Even those can do so, just with obvious repercussions. Students don't dress up an awful lot to go to class. You'll see the occassional girl who's obviously trying to impress some guy and the people who have some type of interview or professional engagement, but I never get the impression that people are dressing in ways that they wouldn't dress if they were somewhere else. Different types of students interact on a regular basis because being part of different university activities requires it. Students are more politically aware than they are active but there are those that campaign fiercely for their candidate.

I absolutely LOVE my school!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as Emory being elitist, I don't know how much sway that claim holds with me. Yeah, there are a lot of rich kids here and I know there are not too many kids at state colleges who drives brand new BMWs, but that doesn't necessarily make us elitist. A lot of kids attend Emory whose parents are not rich and they haven't had the same opportunities as the rich kids. But they're here and not made to feel uncomfortable or anything. I don't hear too many conversations centering around students' wealth. The leftist and liberal charges I understand a little more, but those people have to understand that at a university whose mission concerns diversity, every viewis going to be espoused. If you don't like it, don't listen. While I don't agree with a lot of things that I hear, I understand why the university allows it. Wasting taxpayer dollars. Well, I'm not entirely sure how we're getting those taxpayer dollars, but I do feel the mainstream media is not a reliable critic on the worth or validity of a particular type of research. If grants are going to departments and people at Emory and they're using them in a truthful manner, it's not really anyone else's business. If it bothers them that much, they should take it up with the government agencies who give them the grants. Not only that, but research at Emory has done much more than the average person knows, like discovering breakthrough AIDS medication. If the public was able to determine the direction of research because of a misleading news media report, who knows if that would have happened? As far as the landscaping goes, frankly, I appreciate it. It's nice to walk to class and see pretty flowers and cut grass. I would much rather that than a gray, sterile, concrete campus that is very uninspiring. With regard to the rankings, it is the school's present rankings that make its alumni's degrees worth anything. If the school was ranked number 78, that degree wouldn't be so impressive. Not to mention the fact that I don't see any evidence of the university being obsessed with rankings. Nothing is ever said to students with regard to our part in increasing the rankings, so I don't know where that's coming from. As far as activism goes, having to go through a campus office before putting up flyers and the like is something I'm glad they do. No one is discriminated against, they just have to get permission. I don't want to be overtaken by zealots on my way to class every day. And there is activism on campus, it's just not intrusive and brash.

Yes, professors do know your name. Class sizes are generally small enough for that to happen and I like that. My favorite classes have been my Creative Writing classes because the creative atmosphere is awesome. Ideas are bounced back and forth in a really uplifting way and I like that. Students study a lot. We have to and there's really no other way to say it. Yes, Emory students do have intellectual conversations outside of class and I love participating in them because it usually makes me feel very academic and collegiate. I feel an Emory education can be tailored towards whether or not the student is interested in getting a job or learning for its own sake. The general education requirements force you to take classes outside of your discipline and there's no reason for you to be there other than to learn and I like that. Taking classes for fun is encouraged and a lot of students come in with enough AP credit that they can do that.

There are not any "most popular" organizations or groups on campus. I can't really think of one that is predominant, I just know that there are a lot out there for pretty much anything a person wants to do. There are religious groups, academic groups, fine arts groups, athletic groups, pretty much anything you want to do. Students in freshman dorms leave their doors open, students in other dorms are usually rooming with people they want to and the doors are kind of heavy to prop open for that random person walking down the hall. Your friends would probably be in your room already. Theater is pretty vibrant but I would say that the same people attend the events on a regular basis rather than the entire student body partaking of them. I haven't found anyone I want to date, but then, I'm not a social butterfly and don't know half the student body either. I met my closest friends in my dorm freshman year. We still hang out and genuinely like each other. Other's I've met through those same friends. If you're awake on at 2 am on a Tuesday morning, you're hanging out with your friends while pretending to study because you seriously have a test coming up or paper to finish or book to read so you don't look like a butt in class in the morning. People usually party every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Fraternities and sororities are more important to the people in them than anybody else. Last weekend I did homework, went to cabaret practice and worked. But then I'm one of the more boring people on campus I suppose.

I've heard all kinds of things about Emory, some true, some not so true. I've heard that Emory is elitist, leftist, and too liberal. The university has been accused of wasting tax payer dollars (which I don't really understand, us being a private university)and spending too much money on it's landscaping. I've heard people say that the school is mainly concerned with rankings and there's not enough activism on campus. Emory has been considered part of the Ivy League of the south and Newsweek has named us one of its 25 New Ivies.

Emory University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.