Evangel University Top Questions

What should every freshman at Evangel University know before they start?

susana

I will work on my study skills and seek help more. i will also take placement tests ahead of time. i will plan my classes better and try to get advice from people who currently attend the school.

KingeAnn

If I could go back I would tell myself to be prepared for the amount of work in college. To start saving money and that its going to be easy. I would tell myself to be willing to go out of their comfort zone and make new friends and explore different oppertunities

Hortensia

I would share with myself, not to waste time just having fun or relaxing from school. This is the time to make use of the education opportunities. Why? when you are young, it comes easier to retain and apply. Also not to take for granted the assistance that is given. College is the time for adventure and investigation because it is so much to gain. When you get it, be serious, you will see the payoff in the end. Find something that you are interested in and stick with it. Do not allow others to sway you on your decision or direction you want to go in. College is fun and it is difficult at times, however the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it and see the benefits when it is applied. Share with her the things I am learning and how I'm going to use them. I'll share about our discussions online and the interaction I have with the instructors. Speak on things I know have been a question in our mind. Help her see the excitement that doesn't have to be put on hold. We never stop learning.

You will experience a lot through college. Some of what will happen will be good, but some will be very bad. You have a tendancy to keep your thoughts to yourself and obsess over frienships too much. Broaden your horizens. Socialize more. Do NOT let what dad says get to your head. You are a strong girl. Your boyfriend is what saves you in two years, because throughout the crazy transition, you're going to hit a hard low. You will be depressed. Do NOT let this stuff get to you -- to me. And PLEASE, for the love of God, search up as many scholarships and grants as you can before school starts. If you do not, you will regret it. College is a big place, Megan. A very big place, and an even bigger change. Just because you will be away from family and friends never means you can recluse. This school wants the best for you--for us. But you just have to let it in. If not, you will get hurt, and cause unnecessary stress. Trust me, it is ridiculous. (p.s.- Hobby Lobby is a great place to work, but don't do it.)

laurie

I would tell myself to focus on my school work and soak in everything I possibility can. I would remind myself that I am fortunate to have free education and to take advantage of this privilege.

"The past is gone, the future is a mystery, but today is a gift." These words were spoken by my elders throughout my whole life. Although, all I wanted to do was rush to college in order to finally start my life. I was involved in many things throughout highschool, but mentally I was not there. Ultimately, I graduated without any attachment to my hometown. The ability to have memories and friends to come back home to is a blessing, not a hendrance. The transition to college was easy for me as I expected. However, I was the only one who had no desire to go home, not even an ounce of homesickness. Therefore, my advice to myself in high school is to genuinely live in the present. Take a hold of the gift of today, make close friendships that you will miss and those which you can have memories of later. If you do not make those friendships and memories, it is as if that chapter in life was wasted. Moreover, do not waste the gift of today for it is precious, and one day you will desire the memories which only experience can bring.

TuaShannon

Hey im Tua Shannon Sherrod. I know a little bit about college. In order to do will you have to put time in to study your work. You cant be shy to ask the teacher a question or if you need help. If you need help stay after school talk to the teacher get with a freind, are help by some at school. When you have a test study for it. In also know how to ready in college because you will need it. You read everything about colege. Me I have trouble with reading in im not to tell people because they will help you out in anyway the can. So read, read, read!!!!!

Joylynn

College is a great place to make friends; all you have to do is put yourself out there. Keep your door open, study in a quiet yet public place such as the dorm lobby or the library, and talk to the people sitting around you in class. Just don't hide in your room all day. All those AP courses and dual credit courses are definitely worth doing the extra work in high school and will save you time and money in college. Set rules and guidelines for yourself to manage time. For example, don't get on social media until all your classes are done for the day, set aside time to do homework for each class. Do afternoon classes' homework between or before morning classes to leave extra time after classes for other activities. No, you don't need to jump into a relationship right away. Get to know people as friends first so you're not wasting your time on dating someone you will break up with anyway. Enjoy the friendships first. Learn, experience, and do new things as often as you can. It's worth it.

Charley

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I wouold tell myself so many things. First, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships and put in more hours at work. Second, I would tell myself to try and be more open to new people and new things when I first move into campus. I would also say to not try and latch onto the first people that I meet because there are so many people to meet and I do not have to be best friends with all of them. Lastly, I would tell myself to develop better time management and study skills. It would have been much better to start the school year off with these skills instead of developing them throughout my first semester at Evangel.

College can be very expensive. I would tell myself to learn to make a budget and really think about if I really need something. Yes, go out and have fun with friends, but make sure to have money saved to pay for school and emergencies. I would also tell my self to not be afraid. Step out and meet new people. Yes, I am shy, but after several years of college I finally just stepped out and made some wonderful friends. I love my friends oh so very much! One more thing I would tell myself would be to be organized. Set a time for homework and a time for hanging out with friends. Procrastination isn't the best to be practicing all the time. Here and there its not so bad, but it can be very stressful, which isnt good for anyone! Just have fun, but be responsible at the same time.