Indian River State College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Indian River State College

Nakeem

im transfering there and it is a pretty good school . my mom is a student there now .she loves it . shes there for her RN and she suggested that i should transfer to the school , and continue my education there .

karina

I like this college because it is small, but I like the classroom to be more engaging. With a smaller group it is easier to speak with the professor and to share your ideas with the class. There are many local campuses in the treasure coast depending on which county you live in. The classes are easy to find, and the campus is clearly labelled. We do not have the most advanced technology throughout campus, but the computer lab does have the newest edition of the apple computers. We do not have many sports or public sports events which takes away from the fun atmosphere. Overall it is a decent school with some great professors.

Yilian

I started at Indian River State College not so long ago. However, this does not mean that I do not how is the campus life just yet. In a few days I will start my fall classes. I have never met someone who is more excited than me. I have fun in all my classes, this does not mean I don't pay attention. On the contrary, I love to learn new, and interesting things. But, Indian River State College makes you feel at home; even on the most serious classes, you might find a few minutes to laugh. I cannot wait to meet new classmates and share my knowledge.

Nate

It's a very small community, but it has tons of students eager to learn and a lot of amazing individuals who work for the school and are always available to help. I won't say it's perfect, but it has been an amazing place to jump start my college education after high school.

Gianna

It's a great school if you know what you are there to do. Most professors are very helpful if you show up to class and do your work. They have great science programs. Most school activities are held at the main campus which make it hard to attend. At the Pruitt campus, there is no food. They have a lunch room which contains an empty Subway counter which is no longer in use. They substituted it with a giant snack store which is powered by a computer. The library is very large and has many computers.

Tivia

Indian River State college is a really good school. I was a little nervous when I first started attending thinking it wasn't going to go well, but I've had a really good experience so far and also made some new friends. Really nice people and its a really diverse school. would really recommend people to go there starting off as a first choice.

Robyn

I believe IRSC is a great campus for people to join. The students are friendly and there always events that are taking place where you can meet new people as well as student employees. IRSC is a safe campus and the professors only want the best from you. They do all that they can to make sure you succeed to the best you can.

Juana

I enjoy being a student at Indian River State College because its a college that helps me and I am sure others as well to succeed academically, Indian River State College is not only a peaceful campus to attend but it offers free tutoring for students struggling in any course and this is what I find helpful for me. The campus is beautiful and the classes are clean and professionally kept.

Destiny

I currently attend Indian River State College as a dual enrollment student. I feel safe on campus; there are emergency contact poles posted across campus if you are in trouble. Extracurricular life is not overly campaigned for on campuses other than the main campus in Fort Pierce. You have to be very careful to research your teacher before taking a class because there are many teachers that are considered widely incapable. I have also had the experience (and know of others that have shared this experience) of signing up for a class and the teacher changes to a much less sought after one at the last minute. This happens quite often. The rigor of work at I.R.S.C. is also not very difficult. I would compare it to higher level high school classes. I do enjoy the atmosphere of the school. Students are generally pretty focused and it is not a party school. It is also one of the cheapest school's in the nation. Overall, I would say that Indian River State College is not a very good college for someone planning on going into a higher level career.

Scerick

Even though it recently became a state college, it still has the air of its former community college self. The KSU is completely unreliable, but all the other student services are impeccable. Attend IRSC if you're a local to the area, but not if you're coming to Florida to learn. If you want to go to a Florida college, go to FAU.

Cristian

I think that IRSC is a great place to pursue an education. It is affordable, they have lots of classes to offer, and they are available anywhere in the Treasure Coast area. They also have many great professors and tutors that make time for you and that really help you succeed.

Alyssa

Indian River State College, from my experience, is okay. I only have classes at one of the campuses and they have all been pretty easy, the teachers are very involved and helpful when they see a student needs help. I have dyslexia and ADD and have yet to find a teacher who hasn't helped accommodate me properly. I'm not big on campus life though, because I work full-time along with going to school full-time.

Shakira

IRSC is a great college! This is my home town so I am pretty used to being around in this area but to anyone new, there is nothing much to do, it's a pretty small town but if you have amazing friends, you all can make the best of it! All of the professors that I have had were very easy to contact and very caring about their students. The work is not extremely hard but you do have to study for your 'A'!

Meilin

I received my AA from this college, and now came back for my BS. The teachers are very likable and try to help out as much as possible. It is very affordable for students like my self who have to pay out of pocket, in comparison to over colleges and universities. The science lab classes are small therefore giving the students more interaction with the professors. I would definitely recommend Indian River State College to anyone who is having financial struggles, since its one of the most affordable colleges amongst others.

daimarys

Indian river state college is the best, to be honest. They teach so well, the teachers are nice, and they are so attentive to every student. This college is so quick to maneuver and get around the classes is simple. The schedules are amazing. They are just a great school, and this is coming from a dual enrollment student studying for criminal justice.

Laudys

It is a great school, I made a lot of friends and had a great college experience. The campus is beautiful and clean, the staff are super helpful. The classes are challenging but possible and the teachers provide you with all the tools necessary to pass.

ariana

I enjoy IRSC very much. the professors are always here when needed, and they encourage their students to be overachievers. We strive for the best, and everyone is always there when needed. Teamwork is always top notch. I truly recommend this college to new students looking for a place to get their education.

Whitney

I am overall extremely satisfied with IRSC. The professors are so very helpful, the content is thorough and the evaluations are fair. We really are given all of the tools we need to succeed, and our professors ensure we are doing well. I was dreading going back to school but in all honestly I've had a blast so far. Whenever I need to go in person to the testing center or meet with advisers it's always a pleasant experience. IRSC is amazing!

laura

I love it! It was a small collage when I started but it has grown significantly. They now have bachelorette programs! The teachers are well educated in thier specialty and are always available for help when you need it. The cafeteria food is really good too!

Vincenzo

I think Indian River State College is an awesome place. The teachers are very good at keeping contact with students and are almost always available to offer help with assignments and such. And the faculty are very good about helping set up classes and financial aid information and stuff like that.

I love how my area has many different campuses available for convenience. I currently take only online classes, but if I ever need anything - I can email my professor or stop by one of the campuses. Every staff member is very supportive and helpful. Great college!!

Hailey

Class sizes are usually smaller which is nice to have one on one with your professors. There is free tutoring on all the campuses and they are always very helpful. There is plenty of parking which makes it very easy to be on time for class. I've never had a professor that I haven't liked. Overall, IRSC is a great place to go to college.

Dillyn

Indian River State is an amazing university. The professors are professional and helpful. They try to explain the curricular as easily as they possibly can. Majority of them are outgoing and have a passion for what they do. The social life is great too! There are so many nice people that are trying to fulfill their goals and aspirations just like you.

Marla

I would have to say that Indian River State College is by far an amazing school considering that we started off as a community college. There are always new people to meet and everyone gets along just well. The environment is very welcoming, the diversity makes you feel like you belong to a home the Pioneer home. There are always activities for students, whether you enjoy sports, gaming. foreign languages, religious groups, honors society or simply being a part of the college community there is always something to do. Advisors, staff, just everyone on campus is always happy to give you a helping hand. I would have to say, my college experience has been by far the best experience even if my college is right next to home. You cannot do better than a college the literally welcomes everyone with open arms and open hearts.

Arielle

Great main campus, great pruitt campus, small class size and very easily accessible professors. Great learning environment. Very clean facility, always feel very safe and secure. All that being said there are many different programs and clubs on and off campus to get involved with. Different causes, learning opportunities, and friend making always available.

Madeline

I have experienced Indian River State College as a Dual Enrollment student and am generally pleased. It is your basic community college; however, the advisors and professors have been easily accessible and helpful in my educational journey. There are plenty of programs and resources readily available. If you're looking for an accommodating college experience, IRSC is a laid-back and overall enjoyable option.

atea

Overall I feel it's a good school. You get a good education for a great price. It's not that big of a school so that means smaller class sizes which is helpful for those who want to ask questions. The only downside is there isn't much to do on campus or in the town so you need to get creative.

Allison

I have attended this college for almost three years now and everything from the campus size to class size is absolutely perfect and extremely comforting. Campuses, as well as the classes, are not too big nor too small and are a perfect learning environment for less distractions and students seeking to have more one-on-one time with a professor.

Allison

It's a nice school. Most of the professors are extremely nice and helpful. The classes are a nice size; you will never feel like the professor is too busy to talk to you. The campus is nice, too. It is easy to find your way around. Taking some classes online is always an option.

Miracle

Over all India river state college is An amazing school and has it of great programs for their students to join the also offer jobs to students and help them to find jobs and offer job training for those who need it. They also tend to be very understanding.

Lyric

Indian river state college is a great college to attend. There are students of all ages and an abundance of educated, caring professors. The school is great for students who work full time. This is also an awesome for students who plan to transfer to a university for higher degrees. I love this school!

Yolanda

Mueller campus needs an overhaul of counselors. They rush you through the process and don't explain anything well or at all. I usually leave more confused than before I arrived! Leslie Simpson is the worst. Takes six weeks to return an email, forget a call back, getting an appointment with her is at least 6 weeks out and then she can't get you out of her office fast enough! She needs to go!

Kelsey

Indian River State College is a great community college. It is affordable and not difficult. The people here are generally nice and funny. We have a few events here but I usually don't attend because I am busy. We have a nice library on-campus also.

Marissa

I only went for dual enrollment during high school. It's good for general studies, and I've heard certificate programs too? I didn't look into anything like that. The teachers are (mostly) friendly and have office hours outside of class. They usually respond to emails pretty well too.

Zarian

Indian River State college is a great school for the Fort-Pierce/Port Saint Lucie Area. They have several campuses so if traveling is a problem they have that covered. The school has tons of events and offering for student to get adjusted into new college life. It also has many degree options for students, just find a counselor and they will help .

Maggie

I am dual-enrolled at Indian River State College and I am also considering attending there to finish my Bachelor's in Business. It's a close-knit school and the teachers are mostly very caring for the students and their success. This school has made a difference in my life, as I have met new people that I never thought would be friends and I have joined many honor societies. It truly is a wonderful college.

Truelove

It is a great college for nearby students that have transportation, a place to live, and access to off-campus food. None of the campus buildings are in a college town. It is only a low-cost education without college dorms, transportation, meal plans, or any community involvement. It does not inspire college pride or school spirit.

Alexandra

As a first time college student, I think Indian River State College is a great starting point. I was shaky on attending it at first, but once I did research, campus tours, and orientation, I realized it was actually a pretty great campus. There is a great student to faculty ratio, as I ever feel lost or need help, I know there's faculty around to help me out.

Chris

It is a great starter community college. You may get a certificate or an A.A. Degree. It is great for a nurse or someone in the medical field. However most majors only go through the A. A. Degree, then you must transfer to another university to complete your studies. The professors are very helpful, friendly, and caring. It is not recommended to go during the Summer, since scholarships are not made available to everyone, and tutors are difficult to find. There are many clubs and organizations to join to meet other students that one could study with. The college does not charge as much tuition and fees as some other colleges do. Housing is off-campus, and the school is not located in the best section of town. Security is more relaxed.

Kaity

I have been attending IRSC since my junior year of high school associated with Dual Enrollment. My entire experience has been great. I bounce from campus to campus and all facilities are kept clean, cold and comfortable. I’m thankful to be bettering my future at IRSC!

autumn

Overall, Indian River State College is a wonderful school. The students and staff faculty do not hesitate to support you in your journey. The Main Campus is beautiful and filled with activities to do. The class sizes are typically on the smaller side, which is great for one-on-one conversations with the teacher. The academic advisors are the sweetest people, they will go out of their way to make sure you are on the perfect academic path for your major.

Gillian

It is a good starting/ jumping off point before you head to a bigger university. It does not offer the most degree opportunities, mostly just 2 year programs but it does have good 4 year programs such as nursing or fire science. IRSC is dedicated into helping students of all ages, from high schoolers to adults find there passion through learning and help them get where they want to go, early in life or later.

Jason

It’s a great college to to start off at. Fun, cheap, and affordable to start working to get your associates degree. The intimidation of a university isn’t there to make you feel uneasy or pressured, Indian river state colleg is what I view as a stress free campus. Helped it always offered to students and the amount of opportunities to excel is astounding.

Evan

First of all, I would like to clarify that I was not an Aerospace major at IRSC. My IRSC experience was as a dual enrollment high school student, during which time I took 27 credit hours -- some on-campus, some online. Aerospace Engineering will be my major -- eventually -- when I get to the University of Florida after I complete my AA at Santa Fe College and the Prerequisites for Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering in Santa Fe's Honor's Program. With that in mind, I will endeavor to hit the highlights of my experiences at The River. Thankfully, I had the luxury of living at my parents' home because I honestly cannot imagine wanting to live in those dorms. I mean, who does that? "Ooh, yay! I got into IRSC and move into my dorm next month!" The whole point of IRSC is to stay home and save money before you go away to a real university to finish your degree, or to stay home and save money for the whole four years if you are majoring in something they actually have there and with which you're satisfied with the quality of the program. To actually move to this area and pay for on-campus housing to attend this school, or even worse -- off-campus housing -- is ludicrous. The "affordable" apartments and condos for rent near the main campus are in some pretty scary, high crime neighborhoods, and everything else in any of the counties where there is an IRSC campus is crazy expensive -- far beyond the means of all but the most affluent college students, and affluent is not the word I would use to describe most of IRSC's student body. I am going to skim over the food and extracurricular activities because I really wasn't interested in either. The extent of my experience with the food was primarily vending machines. When my high school's chapter of Mu Alpha Theta competed at the Math Olympics, we did grab a quick bite in the cafeteria, and it was fine -- primarily fast food fare, basically what you'd expect, I guess. Regarding the extracurriculars, I did see posters for different organizations, plays, and musical performances, etc., on campus, as well as on my online page. I am aware that the college has a vibrant musical arts department because it hosts the annual 4-County Honor Bands Festival, in which I have participated several times during high school. I am also aware of the politically, socially, and environmentally active groups on campus because those are topics of interest to me, so I guess their flyers -- physical and online -- caught my attention, and because my friends and I participate in causes on a regular basis. Now I will get to the meat of the matter -- the actual education I received from the courses I took at IRSC. Frankly, it depends on which class as to how much I got out of it and how much I learned. There were some classes I chose to take at IRSC because I knew the class was a walk in the park with that particular professor, and I was taking a particularly heavy load at school, including AP and Honors classes, and was preparing for difficult Solo and Ensemble Competitions or auditions, etc. Heck, I took one class that was an in-person class that actually conflicted with my high school AP Calc BC class. My mom almost had a stroke, but I knew the professor did not require attendance and that everything could be done online. I was right. I got an A. I have no idea what that class was even about right now. I don't even remember which class it was, but I got an A. There were other classes that I took because the professor was reputed to be an amazing teacher, and I wanted to learn the material. That was the case with U.S. History I and II. That professor was amazing and I learned a ton from him! I went to extra lectures that he gave at public libraries on Saturdays when I could because he was that good. So, the academics are as good as the professor and you get whatever you want from the classes you choose to take. I would recommend always asking around and researching classes and professors to find the right fit to meet your needs. Finally, the facilities at the three campuses I visited (attended classes at one, attended events at the other two) are all very nice and are nicely maintained. The one in St. Lucie West is very close to lots of great dining, shopping, and entertainment options. The one in Stuart is just a short drive to the same. The main campus in Ft. Pierce is a longer drive to a cute downtown area, and it's through a pretty rough, high-crime neighborhood. All-in-all, Ft. Pierce is a rough, high-crime place when compared to St. Lucie West and Stuart. For students considering dual enrolling at IRSC, I highly recommend it. For those considering it as a live-at-home to save money option, that works, too. For someone looking for that "college experience" in sunny Florida, there are far better options. Just my humble opinion.

Travis

I'm a Dual Enrollment student and to attend my college classes, I have to attend Indian River State College. My experience here has been good to say the least. I've met all kinds of people even if they were older than me, despite the age difference, they have treated me all the same. My personal highlight while a this college would have to be in the game room where they have a ping pong table. Many people would try to come in and battle each other on this table to try and find out who was the best. This was filled with many laughs and jokes that I will personally never forget and I will miss it when I do graduate from here.

victoria

I have enjoyed the curriculum at Indian River State College very much. The professors can be awesome depending on who you get, but there are resources available to you so you can rate them and see how others have rated the professors. The campus's are very clean and easy to navigate around. Overall a great school with many opportunities to succeed.

Joann

I think that Indian River State would be a good choice of college to go to. The environment is great and their very informative about any of the majors you're interested in. I haven't met one impolite person yet, and they are less expensive than a private college or university. I can't wait to be attending there this fall. Hopefully it will be like everything I have hoped for in a college. I also love that they have a little section of brochures, informing you about any career you choose. It's pretty easy to find a parking space, and you never have to make an appointment to go visit the college. I have been told that they offer help to students who need it. So hopefully, they won't be too busy to provide the help I might need in the near future. And if you want to attend that college, you must first attend an orientation, like every other college. And the good thing about it is, you are allowed to schedule when would be the best time to attend the orientation. The people I have met are very polite and have manners. The downside is, you have to pay for your lunch. But I'm pretty sure that every college and university you go to, will require you to pay for your lunch. From what I've heard, the class sizes are pretty small. Which is a plus, because that gives teachers the advantage of really getting to know who you are as a person. Their acceptance rate is at least 100%, which, if you ask me, is a pretty good thing, because if no other colleges have accepted you, at least you still have Indian River who has accepted you with open arms. You don't even have to send in your transcripts right away, or your math and reading scores. They will still accept you, but make sure to give them whatever it is that you need to give, or else you won't be able to attend their college.

ariana

This college is a good school for freshmen entering since it will show the difference of high school, which it did to me. I am grateful for the opportunity given to me to, attend this college, as a dual enrollment student. I also find this college interesting since a range of diversity is shown.

Abigail

They absolutely are not the best they have minimal security and they are so spaced out working their time with their work they have to do it is hard to get in the car with no my problem and I am scared but they are not my job I don’t want them I will always have to go to pick up the Facebook and Twitter is my way I am just asking if I have any problem

Tanesha

Great school! Been there since dual enrollment. Teacher are friendly and helpful.