Durham, NC
North Carolina Central University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Carolina Central University

Nashae

Whether one is attending NCCU because they want to get a decent paying job in the future or because they aspire to pursue a specific career, they all are there because they are driven and enthusiastic persons who are ready to change their world.

From the time I was a child, I had colossal dreams and knew that I would do everything in my power to achieve them. Fortunately, that same mentality has remained with me as I have matured into young woman. From Kindergarten all the way up until Senior year in high schhol, I received excellent grades and desired to attend college.

The worst thing about my scholl would have to be the crime-infested neighborhood it unfortunately is placed in.

Loquacious

I love my class of 2013. I just started to get really involved in my school and i absolutely love it! I love networking and meeting new people. My classmates are very helpful and love to help everyone succeed and excel. Of course there is a little bit of drama in every group, but I believe that no matter the drama, problem, or situation, my class (or generation) will strive and make this world a better place. Hopefully I'll receive this scholarship to achieve this goal to become an accountant.

Throughout my college experience that I have gained so far, I have learned many valuable things. At North Carolina Central University, I have learned to distinguish between friends, associates, and true friends. Everyone will go through this process and realize who to trust; but, its all about respect. Respect goes a long way in life. I have made many friends and associates by giving respect to my peers and teachers by therefore gaining a wonderful network to succeed. I've learned to have school pride, to be independent, and to strive for excellence! Although I have gone through a rough patch in my life because my mother went to jail & my father became a drunk, I will admit that my grades suffered a lot. I went into depression for awhile, but I want to take this experience and use it to my advantage to build me up instead of tearing me down. I am striving to maintain a 3.0 or higher throughout my college life to become better than my parents, to be independent, and to break the mode for my childern to come. I love NCCU and there is no other college that I can see myself loving.

I wish I had known about the financial struggle that I have been through while being at this school. My mother just recently went to jail and my father does not make enough to support the rest of my tuition. I am sadly struggling and I wish I would have known that all of this was going to happen. If I did, I would have signed up for the ROTC program or National Guard to pay for my schooling. "Sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to do, to get to where you need to be."

Destiny

For it only being my first semester, I have gotten better study habits, I have learned to live on my own, I have made new friends, and I have learned alot more about myself. I don't think I would of been able to accomplish any of this if I didn't have the college experience.

Cassidy

As a formerly homeschooled student, my college education thus far has been inexpressibly valuable to me in a number of surprising ways. Prior to enrolling in community college, my education had been hand-tailored to my individual needs, but this also meant that I grew up with very little peer interaction in an educational setting. College, as well as filling these gaps and developing my personal skills immensely, has given me the opportunity to hold numerous leadership roles on campus, and even to lead community service events as the president of my campus Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society chapter. What has been of the most value to me, however, is that college is helping me to rapidly attain the skills I need to fulfill my dreams of pursuing solutions to world hunger. College, effectively, is letting me attain my dreams so that I can help others attain their dreams of survival, and I believe everyone deserves to have a dream fulfilled.

Lakeisha

VEry helpul and motivational. Determines by which group of people you are around.

It is a great life experiance. You geta great education and you meet great people on your life.

There's nothing fustrated with my school.

diane

I have gotten a great experience from attending community college. Not only have I been able to obtain an AS degree in Business Administration but I will shortly be transfering to Cal Poly Pomona to work on my bachelors degree in Accounting so that one day I can become a CPA. Being a single mother of two kids it has been extremely hard to support my children but with knowing that one day I will have the skills and education to have a sucessful career it has made me remain possitive and look forward to what life has to offer.

Kesa

My college experience was priceless for me, the amount of knowledge that I have obtained comes second only to the amount of growth and independence I learned from being away from home. My college experience taught me to not be afraid to fly, I am a devoted family-oriented person, and I thought moving away from home would be the most difficult aspect of college. However, what happened is quite the opposite, I learned to be more fearless, because I anticipated missing my family too much, that as I handled the tough but necessary transition, I have earned a confidence that is impossible to learn without college. I know that in my life I can stand on my own two feet and that no matter how hard the situation looks or my anticipation of any extreme difficulty, I can get through it. That lesson has given me courage to move, relocate, and demand a life that is more satisfying. If I had not attended college, I would not be aware of my own strength and my ability to shape my own destiny.

I think NCCU is the perfect school for a student studying any of the liberal arts, sciences, education and business. Though the university is constantly growing NCCU remains a competitive university that provides students with a close relationship to published professors as well as opportunities within the communities that are in the Research Triangle.

The kind of student that should not attend NCCU is a student that feels that historical black universities do not provide an adequate education, no matter what the race of that student may be. I think people that are free thinking and understand the value of education can understand that NCCU though serving a predominately black population offers a competitive education to all students.

Alex

One thing I would change about central that I find myself on the fence about is the location. On the one hand central is the pinnacle of the community. How many African American kids can say I lived next to or across the street from a university. But on the negative side alot of times the surrounding community affects us more than we affect them. Too often we ( the students) get emails about crime on campus involving non-nccu persons.

Student body as a whole has some work to do as far as professionalism but aside from that one thing we have oozing out of our pores is school spirit. EAGLE PRIDE AMPLIFIED

NCCU might be small in size but we make up for it in heart and school spirit.Being a HBCU no more then 10 mins from duke and 30mins from chapel hill we catch alot of flack but one thing about it our graduation rates are in the top of hbcu's and we continue to dominate with academics. I could have went alot of places and some would say "better" schools but I could never trade my Historical Black College system education for anything in this world. Marroon and Gray ALL DAY

Many of the people I know and are familiar with on campus come from very upstanding homes. We are a student body thats plays hard but studies harder.

We are known for having one of the best law programs in the country.

NCCU is not a known for being a party school and for good reason. We manage to have our parties but they are always or for the most part in a structured environment such as a night club or the campus gym.

That everybody that goes to central is a hood rats or thugs.

College has taught me more about independence. I take most of my classes online. My grades are a lot better when I can do the work by myself. College has kind of taught me how to teach myself. Which is good because I want to be an online teacher. It has also given me a chance to learn how to deal with my anxiety and depression. Going to college got me out of my home an dliving on my own. My bonds with friends have also increased because we all help each other with work or with subject we have trouble understanding. College is the door to geting you started living your life indenpendently and it helps you start to mold your future. You take classes till you find something that intrests you and helps point you towards the career you want. Between studying and trying to get help for my anxiety and depression and trying to figure out how I am going to pay for school it makes it harder to focus on your school work so this scholarship could be very helpful to many people especially me. Thank you.

You should not attend this college if you like to work alone on assignments and if you don't like loud campuses. Also if you can't walk a long time you will have issues because parking is horrible on this campus. They charge lot just to park and half the time you get a ticket. If you need a lot of attention from a teacher this is not the place for you.

The most frustrating thing about this school is that they claim to be supportive and accomidating to people with disabilities. But, people with anxiety and depression not so much. You have to prove that you are actually sick so they believe you. They are not accomidating most of the time. They are not supportive they just want you to deal with it like it is something that you can just make disappear.

Kelli

I didn't think that I would have the 'college experience.' My family is still struggling financially and didn't have the opportunity to send me away to college. I was really uspet about attending community college. It seemed so unfair to me; I felt like I was being held back from going out and doing something with my life. As college progressed, I started to meet people that were exactly like me. My teachers have been supportive of me and want me to succeed. I realized that I was in a good place. I have community college to thank for helping me get my foot in the door for my future. Since I started my Grahpic Design class, I got the idea to start my own bags/totes business. I've already started selling my work. I can go to school and work towards my future goals at home. Had I gone off to school this year, I don't think I would have ever thought about starting my own business, and I would have never met my new friends. Next year, I'll be ready to take on college and begin part 2 on my college experience!

North Carolina Central University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.