Durham, NC
North Carolina Central University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Carolina Central University

Kesa

My college experience was priceless for me, the amount of knowledge that I have obtained comes second only to the amount of growth and independence I learned from being away from home. My college experience taught me to not be afraid to fly, I am a devoted family-oriented person, and I thought moving away from home would be the most difficult aspect of college. However, what happened is quite the opposite, I learned to be more fearless, because I anticipated missing my family too much, that as I handled the tough but necessary transition, I have earned a confidence that is impossible to learn without college. I know that in my life I can stand on my own two feet and that no matter how hard the situation looks or my anticipation of any extreme difficulty, I can get through it. That lesson has given me courage to move, relocate, and demand a life that is more satisfying. If I had not attended college, I would not be aware of my own strength and my ability to shape my own destiny.

I think NCCU is the perfect school for a student studying any of the liberal arts, sciences, education and business. Though the university is constantly growing NCCU remains a competitive university that provides students with a close relationship to published professors as well as opportunities within the communities that are in the Research Triangle.

The kind of student that should not attend NCCU is a student that feels that historical black universities do not provide an adequate education, no matter what the race of that student may be. I think people that are free thinking and understand the value of education can understand that NCCU though serving a predominately black population offers a competitive education to all students.

Alex

One thing I would change about central that I find myself on the fence about is the location. On the one hand central is the pinnacle of the community. How many African American kids can say I lived next to or across the street from a university. But on the negative side alot of times the surrounding community affects us more than we affect them. Too often we ( the students) get emails about crime on campus involving non-nccu persons.

Student body as a whole has some work to do as far as professionalism but aside from that one thing we have oozing out of our pores is school spirit. EAGLE PRIDE AMPLIFIED

NCCU might be small in size but we make up for it in heart and school spirit.Being a HBCU no more then 10 mins from duke and 30mins from chapel hill we catch alot of flack but one thing about it our graduation rates are in the top of hbcu's and we continue to dominate with academics. I could have went alot of places and some would say "better" schools but I could never trade my Historical Black College system education for anything in this world. Marroon and Gray ALL DAY

Many of the people I know and are familiar with on campus come from very upstanding homes. We are a student body thats plays hard but studies harder.

We are known for having one of the best law programs in the country.

NCCU is not a known for being a party school and for good reason. We manage to have our parties but they are always or for the most part in a structured environment such as a night club or the campus gym.

That everybody that goes to central is a hood rats or thugs.

College has taught me more about independence. I take most of my classes online. My grades are a lot better when I can do the work by myself. College has kind of taught me how to teach myself. Which is good because I want to be an online teacher. It has also given me a chance to learn how to deal with my anxiety and depression. Going to college got me out of my home an dliving on my own. My bonds with friends have also increased because we all help each other with work or with subject we have trouble understanding. College is the door to geting you started living your life indenpendently and it helps you start to mold your future. You take classes till you find something that intrests you and helps point you towards the career you want. Between studying and trying to get help for my anxiety and depression and trying to figure out how I am going to pay for school it makes it harder to focus on your school work so this scholarship could be very helpful to many people especially me. Thank you.

You should not attend this college if you like to work alone on assignments and if you don't like loud campuses. Also if you can't walk a long time you will have issues because parking is horrible on this campus. They charge lot just to park and half the time you get a ticket. If you need a lot of attention from a teacher this is not the place for you.

The most frustrating thing about this school is that they claim to be supportive and accomidating to people with disabilities. But, people with anxiety and depression not so much. You have to prove that you are actually sick so they believe you. They are not accomidating most of the time. They are not supportive they just want you to deal with it like it is something that you can just make disappear.

Kelli

I didn't think that I would have the 'college experience.' My family is still struggling financially and didn't have the opportunity to send me away to college. I was really uspet about attending community college. It seemed so unfair to me; I felt like I was being held back from going out and doing something with my life. As college progressed, I started to meet people that were exactly like me. My teachers have been supportive of me and want me to succeed. I realized that I was in a good place. I have community college to thank for helping me get my foot in the door for my future. Since I started my Grahpic Design class, I got the idea to start my own bags/totes business. I've already started selling my work. I can go to school and work towards my future goals at home. Had I gone off to school this year, I don't think I would have ever thought about starting my own business, and I would have never met my new friends. Next year, I'll be ready to take on college and begin part 2 on my college experience!

Andrea

My classmates is always loud, talkative, and repeatively absent from class from partying the night before.

What i have gotten so far out of this college experience is the abiltiy to take care of my responsibilities and becoming more independent. College life is not what everyone has made it seem before I had left. Some people said college would be hard, and that the students is mean, the real world will hit me hard, and im too small to be out on my own. I have been attending NCCU since august 16, 2010 and i have been doing great ever since. I have all my responsibilities tooken care of and have no worries thus far. I am currently a freshman who plans on doing something great with my life. I plan to reach this goal with all the guidance and financial support I can recieve, any free guidance that will lead me in the right direction I am willing to take. Three years from now you can see me graduating from college a step closer to reaching my goal.

i think the best thing here at central is the community service how it gives back and involves itself with the community. Also the sponsers, how they take the time out their busy schedules to help out at every football game, do fundraisers, and set up events around the school.

Travell

Very good university but expensive to go

Very good university but expensive to go

I have learned alot and how to be responsible and the valuable thing is being able to get a job after

I really can't afford being here

Alicia

Throughout my high school life I was set on the fact that the last place I would ever go was another classroom. I had absolutely no desire to go to college after high school. I was going to be free to travel and live on my own time. Things have changed. I am now going to Columbus State Community College, for a two year degree in Early Childhood Development. How did this one eighty come about? God did a one eighty in my heart. Throughout high school I was blessed by going to the Dominican Republic, serving a small school in a rural area. Once I graduated I had to go back, I had the opportunity to teach English in the school. My parents were not so found of me going so we made a deal. I would go to school when I got home. Living in the Dominican with these joyful children I saw what I was supposed to do with my life. I will not be able to fully love children like them without education. I want to show children like them what they can do. They deserve more than anyone I know; yet they have nothing.

Kristen

I have gotten out of my college experience that when you attend college you are stepping into a new world. I use to always hear people tell me that once I graduated from high school, but I never knew what they meant by it. Now I know, college is a life of doing things on your own. You no longer have your parents telling you it is time for school, or their being phone calls sent home for missing class. Also, professors expect that any reading requirements be read prior to class, and there aren't as many reminders. You are no longer spoon fed, professors are known for beginning a lecture, but if time runs out in class, the rest is left up to you. College has been valuable to attend because it taught me to be a responsible person. I learned that in order to make it in the real world you have to have determination, goals, and courage. Even though I am only 21 years of age, I have fought battles that you have to be strong to upkeep. I believe with all that I have faced I am me today and plan to grow.

I believe that you have to be a person who is outgoing. When I first got to NCCU, I would walk past other students and just look at them and immediately they would smile and speak. This action made you speak back and showed that our school is a friendly campus. Also, if you are someone that likes a small class size group, study groups, and one on one times with your professor, then this is the school for you. There are a lot of activities that a student can participate in and the area is close to stores.

I brag most to people about our school athletic events. As a athlete I know how much of a family each of the sports are. We all try to support each other in the games we play. The biggest athletic events on our campus is our homecoming football games and any regular season basketball games we're playing a rival. I brag about how we have a screaming eagles squad that cheers to other players, along with a band that tears the house down. Some cheers may tell a player to sit down & great music entertaining in the band.

Farah

When I first attended NCCU I was a quiet girl that did not speak up for herself. Everyone walked all over me because they knew I was so nice. After my first I found that I was speaking my mind and speaking up more. Where ever I was, I walked with my head up because of that eagle pride that grew within me! I'm still that nice, sweet girl that everyone loves but I have also learned how to say no and not take just anything from anyone. NCCU also taught me how to present myself. Showing us how to act in the business world, what to say and what not to say. The University prepares you for your furture.

The best thing about my school is the events and activities that they have there. There's always something happening. On Tuesdays and Thrusdays they have what you call 10:40 break and it's where all the students come together between classes to have a good time and meet new people.

Anybody can attend this school. It is open to all students that are looking to get a good education. Once you've been in the school for at least a year you'll see that it has changed you for the better. I know it has changed me in the way I walk, talk, and even dress.

Kiara

My school is Best known for school spirit. We are very involved with school events and rasing money for our school. As well as making up things like spirit week to show off our school pride. Another thing my school is known for is high Achievers a lot of people at my school are super smart and have validictorian credentials. Half of the seniors are all A students and are very heavily involved with academics

ive learned how to stand on my own and be more mature and do the thingsi need to do on time it has taught me how to also be a more effective communicator. And put my career first

I feel that the kind of person that should attend North carolina central university should be someone with good work ethics, in order to manage their study and homework time. Someone who is determined and self driven a person that is there to learn and apply their education to their field of study. A person that has good time management and can make most of their time for work and the other half of their time for studying. And Someone with school spirit and is proud to be apart of the school and represents the school in a positive way.

North Carolina Central University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.