Orange Coast College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Orange Coast College

Rosangela

Orange Coast College is a great transition school for students planning to transfer to 4-year institutions or non-traditional students. It is a large campus with a variety of options such as the library, Starbucks, labs, horticulture and, a brand new planetarium. OCC offers honors courses and an Honors Program. Online classes are very interesting despite the difficulties. The professors make efforts to help students and understand the challenges due to this new situation. Online classes save our time but I prefer going to school.

Eloise

It's an okay college if looking for general education. There are good counselors. The student overall seems pretty nice and friendly. Teachers are mostly good and attentive to their students. Be sure to check rate my professors before choosing classes!

Alexandra

I believe Orange Coast College is a phenomenal school to start your college career. They provide an immense amount of resources, exceptional professors, and counselors willing to go out of their way, to make sure their students succeed. Orange Coast College has transitioned to online school smoothly. The faculty always makes sure their students have the resources to be successful, even if they're not there in person. As an incoming freshman this year, it was intimidating to take on my first year of college online. The Orange Coast College Counselors have guided me through this transition remarkably. They are always quick to respond to my questions from picking the right classes, to picking the right schools to transfer to. I am confident that I am on the right path to transfer out in two years, because of them. They have given me the opportunity to go to schools I didn't even think were possible for me. If you are looking for a superior school to start your college career, Orange Coast College is the place to go.

Eli

I have been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend such an amazing community college, it hardly feels like a community college at all. The professors I have met have been passionate about learning and empathetic to the students. I would recommend this college to any student searching a high level of education for a very good investment price.

Brandon

OCC is teeming with diversity and high energy students who are either visibly passionate about what they are there for or are simply content with getting by. Overall, the atmosphere is so welcoming and pleasant, you will truly enjoy your time there.

Orange Coast Community College is not just a two year school; it is an unforgettable journey that transforms a student, and makes them a scholar. The academic classes at this school go above and beyond the university feeder schools of the surrounding area. There are hundreds of diverse classes to choose from, making General Education requirements easy to satisfy; the courses are great for transferring over to universities in and out-of state. The departments, of all branches, go above and beyond by offering unique experiences such as: Aquarium Keeping, Literary Theory, Avionics, Pottery, and the list goes on. The majority of the professors truly care about their students, and work hard to ensure that scholars not only graduate, but thrive while doing so. Extra curricular activities are also extremely abundant on campus. There are hundreds of clubs to choose from, and twice a year there is a fair offered to get students involved with organizations on campus. It is hard NOT to be involved. The area is beautiful, located in the heart of Orange County California. The school's appearance certainly exemplifies the liveliness of the town itself. The upkeep of the school is truly fantastic. It is very clean and new buildings are constantly replacing the old; the math center is a feat of modern structures, and the planetarium has been expected by students for over a year. The appearance of the school constantly keeps the students talking excitedly. The food options are great; there's a Starbucks on campus, and multiple eating venues. The college is located in a popular area with good eateries. There are free tutoring services, for almost every subject. The tutors are extremely helpful, and they want to make sure that students get the help they need, if they are struggling with their courses, or want to excel in a class. All in all, this description does not even begin to depict what a brilliant place OCC is. My first two years of college here were a fantastic way for me to transition into adulthood, and feel confident in my skill set.

Jasmine

OCC is a good community college. It is peaceful and sends positive vibes. Most of the teachers that I've had are great. The councilors are also always there when you need them. The campus is always great with keeping everything clean. They always have opportunities for all students.

Joel

Orange Coast College is looked at as a pit stop for a lot of people, on their way to a University in order to earn their Bachelor's degree. Most students don't even think about the AA degree. However for a Community College, Orange Coast does an exceptional job at not only helping students excel academically, but preparing them for the next step of transferring to a University when they are done. The myriad of great facilities and professors makes for a great school to help out on your academic path.

Izar

It's a good school. It has lots of opportunities depending on the hobbies you like. The professors are really there to help you out. They make a way to be available and help you out in anything they can. The class sizes are pretty small, around 20 people per class.

Sophie

OCC is like a dream to me. The first thing I tend to mention when I'm asked about my school are the trees. Anywhere you go on campus you are guaranteed to see green, a colour of renewal and growth (which I think is a lovely, calming, and positive setting for a college campus and learning students). The plant culture is amazing and all the different types of flora help to create a very freeing and encouraging atmosphere; the campus is already quite large on its own, so the towering trees seem to make the campus reach the skies. There's something about the air here, (being only a few miles from the beach) that makes one feel they can breathe easier. We also get beach sunsets so come evening, the sky turns into a painter's palette. The only thing better than the campus are the people. Everyone seems to have such ambition, and character, and an extreme amount of friendliness. I love getting to know all the different histories and backgrounds of the individuals on campus. There are so many places to gather; one of my favourites being the cafeteria (where they offer an impressive vegan menu option), or the many fields of grass, or the Starbucks next to an Art building that I could write an entire review on itself. The professors somehow seem to oddly reflect the students. Once in a while you'll see a professor with a crazy hat and bodacious suit, or one dressed up as a persona in history. Its refreshing to see expression like that--inspiring as well. Orange Coast College has really become a second home to me. I'm not sure if it's the people, or the food, or the many flowers that allow students to feel so comfortable--perhaps its an amalgamation of everything-- but it sure does feel like a part of me, and from the peaceful encounters I experience, I believe most of my fellow students would agree.

As a community college there are a variety of programs offered for every type of student. Counselors are willing to help construct each of these individual plans and are encouraged to explore areas within and outside their major. The campus is always growing and willing to hear what the students need and want on campus. Professor's have many classes and it can be hard to personally get to know students; however, they are active and encourage student participation in classes. Though it is easy to get lost in the crowd of students flowing in and out; so if you are not certain what you want to do and have extra time it is encouraged to get as involved as possible on campus. Additionally, there is always an option of getting a quick bite to eat on campus between classes without wasting time; and I for one am very grateful for the breakfast burritos when I did not have time to eat a proper breakfast before class.

Allison

I think Orange Coast College is an amazing school with great students and teachers. The staff really cares and wants to help any way they can. The teachers are always available to help and the students all work together and want to succeed. The campus is very clean and it extremely easy to navigate.

Lilian

Orange coast college was the best experience of my life so far; I have grown as person mentally, emotionally, academically and spiritually through the classes I've taken and people I've met. I went against the stereotype of students who go to community colleges of just going home right after classes. I decided to actually be apart of my school and be involved through clubs, speech and debate and a society. Going to a community college first was a really great choice for me because I was able to be independent and save money while still getting a great education and experience. The only complaint I would have is the food on campus; however, I am a very picky person so it's difficult for me to find foods I enjoy. I've loved all my professors and managed to become friends with some of them. Overall, OCC is an amazing school and as a lot of people say around there, it's the "Harvard of community colleges".

Monica

I really enjoy attending Orange Coast College. The campus is very nice and well kept. They are continuing to expand and remodel/ add new buildings to continue growing the campus. The professors are all great! They always encourage you to come to the office hours and let students know about all the extra things the school offers to students, such as the waver for the first parking ticket and free examinations and also counseling. Their motto is "we'll help you get there" and I truly believe that they stand behind those words.

Jordin

I love my aviation department, the faculty is great and want me to succeed. My general education teachers are no different, the courses are interesting, well taught and you'll get a B if you do all the homework. It has a great atmosphere and its nice to be so close to the beach and have a wide variety of opportunities at the school.

Carlos

OCC is a great place for the true California experience. Not to far from the beach, also the great weather everyday. The professor are great and are always they're to help. The students are cool different types of cultures and groups to be part of. The school looks like a 4 year university at a junior college price.

Nina

I think it is a good place for people who are unsure of where they want to go, what they want to pursue, or are not ready for a serious change. I have had some amazing teachers and class discussions so I definitely think it depends on who your instructor is. Most people are friendly and there are many ways to get involved.

Khai

Orange Coast College is an amazing place to go. Although it may not give you the full "college experience", it is still a great place to be. The campus is nice and really easy to navigate. Everyone is nice and accommodating. The professors are great and are available to help you with almost anything. There is plenty of things to do, whether it is participating in sports or joining one of the unique clubs on campus.

Olivia

I really enjoy going to Orange Coast College, because both the students and faculty come from very diverse backgrounds. I love all of the professors I have had so far, and I made many good friends here. The campus is great and I feel like OCC is really helping me to pursue my career goals.

Karely

You don't have to worry about your classes not transferring. 9/10 professors are sincere (I have only met one that came off as a minimalist). They want you to do well and encourage you to seek them out during office hours. Questions don't go unanswered and the counselors are sincerely helpful.

Tiffany

Orange Coast College is the place to be if you live in the OC. Many students go here not expecting much--after all, it's a 2 year community college. But when they leave, most, if not all students are sad to go. OCC builds a community within a campus, making students feel comfortable and at home in an academic setting. Professors are kind and thoughtful (not rude and distant like some of those high school teachers) and are always looking out to best your education and your time. Many professors don't limit themselves to only caring about your education inside OCC--they encourage you to excel upon leaving as well because they know how important it is to get educated. The students are always a joy to be around. The campus is very diverse, being one of the top community colleges as a transfer school and international transfer school. All of the students are always accepting, never letting bigotry or judgment stop them from making friends, lending a helping hand, or being a good person. Choosing professors is easy and so is excelling if you choose the right people to learn from and the right people to be around. In addition, they're many on-campus and off-campus activities, clubs, and ways to get involved in social manners. Acceptance and tolerance is prided at OCC and I'm so proud to be a part of a campus that looks towards those values and outwardly states them instead of being at a college that would rather turn a blind eye to important events and/or movements. Right in the center of Costa Mesa, OCC has a wide range of eateries near campus for coffee, bagels, pizza, fine dinery, and even crepes. It's within walking distance, so you don't have to be far from campus to find something good to eat. Everything in the OCC cafeteria is cooked by OCC culinary students as well, so there's always something to eat on-campus if students are in a hurry. This will be my last year at OCC, and while I'm excited to move on and continue my academic journey, I'm also saddened to leave such a great community that has embraced me so tightly that it's hard to let go. If you're thinking about attending OCC but have other CCs in mind in the area, take the plunge and attend this community college. You won't regret it.

Dharma

It is a large campus with many opportunities to find what a student wants to do in life. The classes are affordable, but financial aid is also offered. The professors really care about the students and really want them to succeed. Some of the classes are meant to prepare students for transfer and are really hard, but there are many tutoring services available on and off campus by fellow students and professors.

Michaela

I am in my first year of college and overall, I'm glad to be going to Orange Coast College. I had a great first semester. There are so many opportunities for tutoring and guidance through the student success center where you can go to get help in any class you have trouble with. It is also possible to create study groups with others who are struggling with the same classes. It gives us the ability to learn and grow together! One of the things that I like the most is the encouragement from the professors. They all seemed to be very invested in each and every one of their students success. The professors are so dedicated to teaching young minds and shaping them for the future and they also care about your self worth as a student, both in and out of the class room. I love the college I'm attending and I plan to stay here for now to see where it will take me.

Courtney

Everyone in Southern California has either taken classes at OCC or knows someone who has. It makes as a great ice breaker in job interviews and is cool to know that we have a huge alumni. As far as transferring out of Coast, I feel that the counselors don't speak to each other so two can give you different answers so always make sure you read the catalog and don't be afraid to contact the school you are interested in transferring to. The transfer center at the college you're interested in will know all the information you need to know, and if you're transferring out of state, don't even bother making an appointment at OCC.

Brian

Orange Coast College is a place for students to learn and grow in order to meet the curriculum for the four year college or university that the individual student wishes to transfer. Orange Coast College (OCC) holds one of the best transfer rates to incredible universities such as UCI and Cal Poly Pomona. My opinion in terms of academic interests is purely favorable as the professor provides students with a great sentiment for learning.

emily

orange coast college is a great school you can go to for anything and everything. our school is open and welcome to everyone, we love our sports teams just as much as we love our art programs, and we are always open to new challenges. you saves much money since it is a community college but you still get the amazing college experience. the more involved you are, the better! I just started this year at orange coast college and I couldn't be happier with my decision to go to this school.

jennifer

I went from being in an online school to the very crowded Orange Coast College. I was terrified, but even on the first day, people went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and new where all my classes were. Ive only been a student for a few months but I'm already very proud to be a student here.

Kathren

Go Coast! My overall opinion of Orange Coast College is a simple one! I love OCC! First and foremost, the atmosphere is extraordinary. Students and staff are essentially friendly and truly care about the well-being of the campus. The campus is always well-maintained. Never any trash on the ground. There are lots of groups and organizations that students can join at any time. Students on-campus know what they want and will do everything in their power to succeed. I am ecstatic that I chose to attend Orange Coast College!

Aoi

I think that’s a great place to start off your college career, whether if you are a freshman or a returning student, it’s a place of many opportunities and accessibility. It’s a relatively safe and inviting community, I like going here because it is not that intimidating and I feel comfortable on campus.

Nancy

The campus is absolutely beautiful and filled with widespread chances of opportunities. They are currently under the construction for housing for students and the professors are all extremely helpful. The school offers tutoring and many classes fitting our choice of study.

Alexandria

I really enjoy the environment and all of the resources that the school has to offer. All of the teachers that I have had are very qualified and all know what they are talking about. if I ever need help or have a question they are more than willing to go out of their way. There is also a computer lab that is available for students to use and print out or just use computers. Also, my favorite part is that there is a Starbucks on campus so if you ever need a coffee break of a snack there is a Starbucks on campus!

Oseas

Orange Coast College (OCC) was a great school for me and for my fellow classmates. OCC helped me a lot to prepare for University. Each professor at OCC was helpful and knew their stuff. I never had a professor who was unorganized or unprepared for each class. The EOPS counselors helped me a lot as well. They helped me choose the right school i wanted to transfer too. im glad i went to OCC and graduated in 2018.

JonPaul

very happy to attend here. great choice to jump start and pursue my education. Ever sense I came here I have felt the extreme joy of education. This school has very high remarks and I personally haven't met anyone who didn't agree. The resources and opportunities here continue to amaze me.

Jay

Orange Coast college is the perfect community college to go to for figuring out what you really want to do beyond the school. The administration is great in helping students find their way across campus as well as good counselors to guide students into the career path they wish to pursue. For a junior college, there are a lot of students from all over the world that come to Orange Coast not only for the education, but to experience California since it is a beautiful state. There is a chance Orange Coast is adding their own dorms since it is such a popular school, but in the meantime, students live close by in houses, apartments, or with their parents. There are different places to eat on campus , but there are also plenty of food places outside of the campus that are affordable and convenient. For ways to stay involved in the school, Orange Coast offers a wide variety of clubs to join to open you up to different scholarship opportunities and meet new people. The professors here are very intuitive into their subjects and are great in helping explain topics further to help students understand the concepts better. The athletic teams here are very competitive with many having conference titles and making many state appearances. If you are a student who lives close to this campus and wants to go to school close to home, I would definitely recommend this place.

Erica

I love this school the campus is really big for a community college and the people are really nice and the staff is super helpful. I like this school so much that I even commuted an hour twice a day two days out of the week because i didn't want to transfer to another community college. It's a great school!'