Newark, NJ
Rutgers University-Newark

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rutgers University-Newark

Roxana

The advice I would give myself is to know that everyday has its challenges but you learn to get through them. At first not so easy like getting through that first midterm or final, but after you succeed because you studied, you find it easier to move onto harder subjects. If going into a 4-year university, I wouldn't take all the easy classes first and hard last; I learned to balance out the classes so you can focus on some classes more than others in a semester, i.e. take an art history (elective) and a major class (biology). Research your major and see what options you have in your future career, i.e. aiming for the therapist job so are you willing to go for your masters? Some people find themselves in a job they didn't go to school for and what a waste that is. Or some people are doing the job but feel overqualified. Especially in this economy employers are no longer looking for that BA/BS, because the competition is more intense. They want to see Masters or higher and also relevant work/volunteer experience. Also get a job that is related.

I wish I had learned more about what the school offered/resources it has. I came across resume building and correcting on my last year. It helped me a lot not only with job-related information but also how you can incorporate your interships, community service, and college credit that is all related to your major. I found this resource when I attended a workshop for the Career Development Center. I know it sounds obvious but not many students used it because it was offered to Business/Finance majors. Sometimes the information that you need is in front of you.

Any person can attend this school. It is a very diverse school. It is not to far from Mahattan and also there are trains and buses that can take you to the school. The school also has parking garages buy a permit. I met many people that lived far away or close. Also this school is a big commuter school unlike its other campus in New Brunswick which is mostly for people who dorm.

Nancy

My school is best know for diversity. There is an abundance in diversity in cultural backgrounds which makes socializing both interesting and educational. Meeting people from other countries is a great experience and it is fun to hear their perspective on life and current events. My advice would be to meet as many people possible, which will broaden your awareness about the world and the variety of people that exist. Everyone has a story to tell.

The most important thing to realize as you enter college, is that you do not need to know right away what your major will be. Most people transitioning into college aren't too sure what they want to do for a career, and that is a common feeling. To me, college is where you are introduced to different fields of study, and within the first year you will find something that resonates with you. A person should always follow their passions, yet some don't get to realize them until their first two years in college. I recommend taking a diverse amount of courses such as natural science, history, art, and literature to get a feel of what is offered. My choice of a liberal arts major allowed me to explore different areas academically and I recommend this major to anyone who is not 100% sure yet what they want to do after college. This is a major decision a person must make, but a liberal arts major for the first year or two will definitely help guide you to your inner passion and will help you find what you are interested in most.

For me, the worst thing would be not enough class time options such as weekend classes or night classes for people who work and need certain classes such as chemistry of biology. In order to complete these requirements, personal sacrifices in a persons' work or home life need to be made to accomodate class times; however, these sacrifices are only temporary and very much worth it.

Jacob

From countries throughout the world, mostly india, middle east, and asia, most are fairly intelligent and most are motivated.

Prior to going to college, know what you want to do so you can set yourself up accordingly and put the research in to do so. For example, if you're going to be a business major, make sure, prior to attending Rutgers, attend a community college and take all the business classes there that will transfer toward your major. In addition, there's no point attending a larger, expensive school for all 4 years. Start at a community college, ease your way through college faster and cheaper, while taking classes that you've researched that'll transfer to the desired school. If you get good enough grades, and in community college you will, you will be all set up when it comes time to transfer. Dont lose hope and stay motivated. Class seems pointless at times but as long as you put in the work the good grades and rewards will show up.

Anyone looking to attend a school that is geared towards the students should go elsewhere, the classes, structure, and design of the program and websites, tools, and resources available are pretty bad. In addition, if you are attending for the parties and outside of school events and socializing, this isn't the place. If you are focused, wnat to land an internship or work for a large corporation, this is the place for you

Aladekemi

Rutgers University-Newark is best known for research. Prospective students who want a career in the science field as a researcher, or even in the psychology field, would have many opportunities to actually do research and eventually be published (as a student!).

Knowing what I know now, I would make sure that I tell my high school self to take school seriously. If I would have taken high school as seriously as I am taking college, I would only have one thing to worry about: my grades. Instead, because of my nonchalant behavior in high school, I now have to worry about getting kicked out of school because of lack of funds. If my high school self was not so interested in immediate gratification, I would be swimming in scholarship money right now and I might have had the opportunity to study abroad. The most important thing I would tell my high school self that my mother actually does know what she is talking about and everything that she told me, she already experienced.

A person who is not willing to do the work for the grades should not attend Rutgers University. All of the professors are pretty nice and are willing to help you with whatever you need, if you ask. Someone who expects good grades without producing the work, will not do well at Rutgers University-Newark.

Tasfia

When I was struggling with my academics and work in my first semester of college, I always wanted to go back in time and give myself some advice about the college life. If I could go back in time, first of all, I’ll tell myself to be more punctual than was then. It’s very important to have good time management skills in college in order to have a good academic career. Second of all, I would tell myself to set some goals for the first semester of college. For example, getting A’s in every subject, going to the gym every week, getting some volunteer hours done etc. These plans help a student in achieving his goals meritoriously. The last but not the least, I’d tell myself to be less scared about new college experience and to be more confident. Because anything can be done with a little bit of confidence and a little bit of faith in you.

Rutgers Newark is one of the most diverse school in United States. It's small school with a very diverse population. People who like diversity definitely should check out the campus.

If you want a big school then I don't think you'll like the Rutgers Newark campus. The Newark campus is smaller compare to the New Brunswick one. Other than that everything is fine.

Danielle

I would love to be able to go back and start over from high school as far as my schooling goes. The transition from high school to college was one of the hardest things for me personally. I took many college level classes in high school only to find out they are nothing like real college courses. It is a big adjument when you are in a classroom with a teacher five days a week constantly telling you what to do and reminding you of assignments, then all of a sudden you are to only go to class a couple times a week and are to depend on a syllabus for instructions. While you may have a teacher they try to teach you to not be so dependent on them. Not to mention online classes where you have very little interaction and reminders other than the occassional email. It took a while but I got the hang of the college classes and am now furthering my education.

Maisha

Dear High school senior self, use this last year as a practice exam to work and study at your full potential. Be determined to develop the best study habits you can , which will ensure a smooth transition into college life. You only have one more shot at pulling up your GPA to get into the college of choice. Take the focus off getting a job and try instead, to win a spot on the college basketball team. The skills of being a teammate and working with others will prove to be invaluable to you later in life where interpersonal skills will seem to be a commodity in the working world. Take lots of pictures this year of you , your peers, and teachers. you may not see them again and it's nice to be able to look back at those pictures with a since of pride. You never know who will become famous in those pictures. Lastly, develop good cleaning habits as it pertains to your room. You may be living in a shared space for atleast two years after high school. No one wants a junky roomate. Do this for twenty one days and it will become a habit.

I didn't like the location of the school. It's located in the inner city, I did not stay on campus, i commuted and toook public transportation so you had to go off grounds tin order to access public transportation. I am told that this has changed and the school now has shuttles to take students and staff too and from campus. This would be the only thing I did not like about the school. Besides this, I had a wonderful experience, great freinds and most of the professors were great as well. I would definitely recommend this school.

Anyone can attend this school. However, Rutgers Newark is especially known as a cummuter school. In addition to this, I bleieve Rutgers neark, school of business is one of the best and is well known for it's school of Business.

Mark

As a high school senior, I acted out against my fellow classmates, and a few teachers, because I wanted to believe that they were inferior. If I were able to go back in time and give myself advice, I would have one all-encompassing suggestion: to not undervalue my self-worth. As a teenager, I doubted my intelligence, so I didn’t prioritize earning good grades. I requested to be placed in a special education-like program, and essentially coasted through my junior and senior years. Needless to say, some of my new classmates weren’t particularly studious either. During high school, many of these “friends” engaged in various activities that could have, and already have for some, come back to haunt them. Perhaps it was the fact that I was aware that I was capable of much more that took the biggest toll on my self-esteem. If I could go back, I would encourage “high school senior Mark” to stop feeling sorry for himself and that everything else would fall into place. Fortunately, two years after graduation, that same student would go on to be named among the top community college scholars in the state of New Jersey.

Last semester, I earned my Associate's Degree from Union County College. At times, I wish that I had known that transferring to Rutgers a couple semesters early could've helped me get acclimated to my new school faster. Also, seeing as I've paid for all of my college expenses without any financial assistance from my parents, I wish I had known that there were even more scholarship search engines for me to explore. For this reason, receiving the Campus Discovery Scholarship would make a big difference for me.

From my experience, I wouldn't advise a lazy or unmotivated person to attend this school. During my time leading up to attending Rutgers Business School, I've done a lot of work in order to be prepared. These include ordering my books early, meeting my academic advisor, contacting professors, making payments, and much more. This has been tiring at times, and if I was weak-minded, I might have been discouraged at some point. Fortunately, I have set a goal to graduate from this school and earn high grades, and I won't make any excuses for myself.

Allison

Hey Allie. I know this seems weird to you, receiving a letter from someone you don’t know, but I promise you, you do know me, or at least you will. Now before you ask me how life is going, let me say one thing. In the movies, whenever a character travels to the past someone wiser always says never to be seen, never to touch anything, claims that even small changes alter the destined course. That’s true, so I’ll give advice instead. You didn’t participate in a lot of activities in high school. Change that in college. There is a place for your talents, even if you don’t recognize it at first. If you’re unhappy, it’s because of you, not those around you. Happiness comes in many forms, at many times. Create your own luck. Don’t be afraid. Don’t fake friendships. Your best friends will find you. Go to career fairs and utilize the career center. Finding a job isn’t easy and the people there will help you. Be patient. Sometimes things are worse than expected, sometimes better. Don't worry. You'll be happy. I promise. Love.Yourself

The best thing about Rutgers-Newark was that most of the degree programs/classes were small and that allowed for better learning. The professors, at least mine, were always accessible and willing to offer help or advice. I enjoyed that the campus was small and that their wasn't much walking distance between buildings or classes as well.

The most frustrating thing about my school was the fact that, even though it preached diversity, it didn't really practice it. Each group of ethnicities hung around together, and there were all sorts of separate clubs for each culture, and it often felt segregated. In addition, I feel that if a student didn't participate in a club/organizational activity, they would not enjoy the campus very much. It was very independent and lacked a sense of community in some aspects. Also there weren't enough activities planned on weekends. The campus was dead every Saturday and Sunday.

Joel

The school is best known for it's convenience, location wise, and the business school that they have. Rutgers University-Newark has the benefit of being in the largest city of New Jersey and in the greater New York City Metropolitan area, which definitely add to its appeal. The Business School at the university is very efficient and a lot of the teachers & advisors are tremendously helpful with their time and advice.

If I could give advice to my high school self, the first thing I would tell myself is to be dedicated to what I'm doing and have a vision of where I want to be. I would warn him that it would be a big diservice to himself to act wishy washy and float through life believing that he could get away with it. Another caution I hope my high school self would heed is to truly participate in class and activities. I would share with him how much it is an honor to truly present himself to the world and that he would be doing no favors by hiding the greatness and unqiue qualities that is within him. The last advice I would give to my teenage self is to not pick a major in hopes of getting a good job in a struggling economy; pick a major that interests you and one that you believe you have the talent for. The guide would be that trying to find a good paying job is valuable, but it's even more beneficial to find an avenue that is fit for you so the money is a great bonus.

The most frustrating thing about the school is registering for classes. There is so much competition in trying to get specific classes that one needs to complete their degree that it's very plausible that one may not be able to register for all the classes they wanted. This is especially true if you're a freshman or sophomore.

Rutgers University-Newark administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.