Newark, NJ
Rutgers University-Newark

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rutgers University-Newark

Maisha

Dear High school senior self, use this last year as a practice exam to work and study at your full potential. Be determined to develop the best study habits you can , which will ensure a smooth transition into college life. You only have one more shot at pulling up your GPA to get into the college of choice. Take the focus off getting a job and try instead, to win a spot on the college basketball team. The skills of being a teammate and working with others will prove to be invaluable to you later in life where interpersonal skills will seem to be a commodity in the working world. Take lots of pictures this year of you , your peers, and teachers. you may not see them again and it's nice to be able to look back at those pictures with a since of pride. You never know who will become famous in those pictures. Lastly, develop good cleaning habits as it pertains to your room. You may be living in a shared space for atleast two years after high school. No one wants a junky roomate. Do this for twenty one days and it will become a habit.

I didn't like the location of the school. It's located in the inner city, I did not stay on campus, i commuted and toook public transportation so you had to go off grounds tin order to access public transportation. I am told that this has changed and the school now has shuttles to take students and staff too and from campus. This would be the only thing I did not like about the school. Besides this, I had a wonderful experience, great freinds and most of the professors were great as well. I would definitely recommend this school.

Anyone can attend this school. However, Rutgers Newark is especially known as a cummuter school. In addition to this, I bleieve Rutgers neark, school of business is one of the best and is well known for it's school of Business.

Mark

As a high school senior, I acted out against my fellow classmates, and a few teachers, because I wanted to believe that they were inferior. If I were able to go back in time and give myself advice, I would have one all-encompassing suggestion: to not undervalue my self-worth. As a teenager, I doubted my intelligence, so I didn’t prioritize earning good grades. I requested to be placed in a special education-like program, and essentially coasted through my junior and senior years. Needless to say, some of my new classmates weren’t particularly studious either. During high school, many of these “friends” engaged in various activities that could have, and already have for some, come back to haunt them. Perhaps it was the fact that I was aware that I was capable of much more that took the biggest toll on my self-esteem. If I could go back, I would encourage “high school senior Mark” to stop feeling sorry for himself and that everything else would fall into place. Fortunately, two years after graduation, that same student would go on to be named among the top community college scholars in the state of New Jersey.

Last semester, I earned my Associate's Degree from Union County College. At times, I wish that I had known that transferring to Rutgers a couple semesters early could've helped me get acclimated to my new school faster. Also, seeing as I've paid for all of my college expenses without any financial assistance from my parents, I wish I had known that there were even more scholarship search engines for me to explore. For this reason, receiving the Campus Discovery Scholarship would make a big difference for me.

From my experience, I wouldn't advise a lazy or unmotivated person to attend this school. During my time leading up to attending Rutgers Business School, I've done a lot of work in order to be prepared. These include ordering my books early, meeting my academic advisor, contacting professors, making payments, and much more. This has been tiring at times, and if I was weak-minded, I might have been discouraged at some point. Fortunately, I have set a goal to graduate from this school and earn high grades, and I won't make any excuses for myself.

Allison

Hey Allie. I know this seems weird to you, receiving a letter from someone you don’t know, but I promise you, you do know me, or at least you will. Now before you ask me how life is going, let me say one thing. In the movies, whenever a character travels to the past someone wiser always says never to be seen, never to touch anything, claims that even small changes alter the destined course. That’s true, so I’ll give advice instead. You didn’t participate in a lot of activities in high school. Change that in college. There is a place for your talents, even if you don’t recognize it at first. If you’re unhappy, it’s because of you, not those around you. Happiness comes in many forms, at many times. Create your own luck. Don’t be afraid. Don’t fake friendships. Your best friends will find you. Go to career fairs and utilize the career center. Finding a job isn’t easy and the people there will help you. Be patient. Sometimes things are worse than expected, sometimes better. Don't worry. You'll be happy. I promise. Love.Yourself

The best thing about Rutgers-Newark was that most of the degree programs/classes were small and that allowed for better learning. The professors, at least mine, were always accessible and willing to offer help or advice. I enjoyed that the campus was small and that their wasn't much walking distance between buildings or classes as well.

The most frustrating thing about my school was the fact that, even though it preached diversity, it didn't really practice it. Each group of ethnicities hung around together, and there were all sorts of separate clubs for each culture, and it often felt segregated. In addition, I feel that if a student didn't participate in a club/organizational activity, they would not enjoy the campus very much. It was very independent and lacked a sense of community in some aspects. Also there weren't enough activities planned on weekends. The campus was dead every Saturday and Sunday.

Joel

The school is best known for it's convenience, location wise, and the business school that they have. Rutgers University-Newark has the benefit of being in the largest city of New Jersey and in the greater New York City Metropolitan area, which definitely add to its appeal. The Business School at the university is very efficient and a lot of the teachers & advisors are tremendously helpful with their time and advice.

If I could give advice to my high school self, the first thing I would tell myself is to be dedicated to what I'm doing and have a vision of where I want to be. I would warn him that it would be a big diservice to himself to act wishy washy and float through life believing that he could get away with it. Another caution I hope my high school self would heed is to truly participate in class and activities. I would share with him how much it is an honor to truly present himself to the world and that he would be doing no favors by hiding the greatness and unqiue qualities that is within him. The last advice I would give to my teenage self is to not pick a major in hopes of getting a good job in a struggling economy; pick a major that interests you and one that you believe you have the talent for. The guide would be that trying to find a good paying job is valuable, but it's even more beneficial to find an avenue that is fit for you so the money is a great bonus.

The most frustrating thing about the school is registering for classes. There is so much competition in trying to get specific classes that one needs to complete their degree that it's very plausible that one may not be able to register for all the classes they wanted. This is especially true if you're a freshman or sophomore.

As a high school senior, I was enrolled in the Running Start program and working at the college assisting students with computer help in the library. I was taking two classes at the college, and one at the high school. If I could go back now, being that college was paid for through my high school and running start, I would tell myself to load on more classes, and to take full advantage. Looking back now, I thought that two classes was enough to get me my degree within the next year, and with the amount of credits I still needed, and my finances, it wasn't. Looking back now, I only wish I could have gave myself a heads up about how much college costs! As much as people warn you, you never really realize it until you have to start paying for yourself!

John

I would advise myself to pursue the full diversity of opportunites available on campus. It can be quite easy to become too narrowly focused on GPA and to miss the opportunities which are not only personally fulfilling but will help position oneself to enter the professional world upon graduation. By becoming a well-rounded individual, one who pursues interests in a variety of ways, college becomes a lot more satisfying.

Its proximity to the opportunities available in New York City.

How to utilize the library resources on the various campuses.

Jeremy

Assume you could go back in time to yourself as a high school senior. Knowing what you know now about college life and making the transition, what advice would you give yourself? I would tell myself as a high school senior to look up scholarships and look into Bright futures. I say those two things because first of all everyone is not going to get financial aid. So what do you do then? Apply for scholarships because that’s the thing that could save your life rather than taking out a loan. I would also tell myself “would you rather spend ten minutes on something that could get you 2,000 dollars or would you rather spend hours on something that is important but it will guilt you the rest of your life?” Because like I said taking out a loan is an option. But who wants to have someone harassing them about money? Let’s be Honest I know I don’t and I know you don’t either. I would tell myself look up bright futures because you never know if you believe what one or two people tell you. I am a product of these words.

emmanuel

i would tell myself to work harder and get even better grades. i would also tell myself to start the applications process and the enrollment process much sooner.

i dont think theres anything wrong with my school. perhaps the buildings and classrooms need updating, but thats it. i love everything about rutgers-newark

Anyone trying to seriously further their education. Rutgers-Newark also offers internships with neighboring schools such as NJIT and UMDNJ

Rutgers Newark probably gets a 8 out of 10 in my book. There is not a lot of school spirit, and there is a lack of feeling like you are on a college campus at times. Probably one of the reasons why I feel this way is because I am a commuter. I spend most of my free time between classes in the computer lab or in the library. The only place else to go during free time would be the campus center, but if you need a quiet place to get things done, you need the library. I do like that there are multiple computer labs on campus. I also like that the university is so diverse. The people on campus come from many different cultures, and they bring unique ideas into the classroom.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

There are two libraries on campus. The best one to get work done is in the Law Library. Even though you are technically supposed to be a law student, just as long as you are not talking and are not obnoxious, no one will say anything to you. The Dana Library is also a pretty nice place to get work done. In the quiet room, there are nice comfortable chairs to sit in and there are even booth-like tables to spread your work out on. I've spent many hours in that library typing up last minute papers and studying for numerous exams!

What are your classes like?

I love my classes. My first two years I got most of my required gen-ed classes out of the way. My third year I took a lot of classes in my major, which was so much fun. I made friends since most of the people in my classes were in more than just one. The majority of the professors are super friendly and are willing to spend time with you if you need help. They have what are called office hours. During that time, you can drop by their office and they will spend time with you answering your questions. This is a nice time to get to know the professors since some of the classes are in lecture halls and there are a lot of students in them.

There are several fraternities and sororities on campus that are pretty popular. I do not personally belong to any of them, but I always see fliers around campus or people wearing their Greek labeled sweatshirts. I do however, belong to quite a few honor societies. These honor societies are pretty active and stay involved. As for the dorm life, I am not really sure since I am a commuter. I heard that there are a lot of activities and such on campus for those who dorm, but I'm not sure.

Unique. Every student at Rutgers Newark has a unique feature about them. No one is singled out because they are "different" since everyone is different. Wearing sweatshirts and sweatpants to class is not abnormal for most students. No one really judges one another. Rutgers Newark has so many different kinds of students, from all age ranges and all ethnic backgrounds. Everyone seems to get along, and no one singled out.

Academics are pretty good at Rutgers Newark. If you want to learn, you will. Most professors are very friendly and easy to approach. Since I am, what most would consider, a nerd, I sit up front in most of my classes and participate a lot. This allows the teacher to have interactions with me and get to learn my name. If you are a student that is not very interactive with lectures, the teacher will most likely not know your name since most classes are a little on the large size. Even though classes are large, there are always opportunities to participate and be active in classroom discussions.

Well this is a little bit difficult to say... I think the biggest one is that we are not smart. Yes, we are not main campus Rutgers, but not everyone WANTS to go to main campus. Me, for one, got accepted to main campus, but did not want to go there. Rutgers Newark has a world full of resources for Criminal Justice than New Brunswick does, and I didn't want to see a million people that went to my high school, just about every day in college. There are a lot of smart people on campus, so no, the stereotype is not true that people on Newark campus are not as intelligent.

Rutgers University-Newark administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.