Newark, NJ
Rutgers University-Newark

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rutgers University-Newark

As a high school senior, I was enrolled in the Running Start program and working at the college assisting students with computer help in the library. I was taking two classes at the college, and one at the high school. If I could go back now, being that college was paid for through my high school and running start, I would tell myself to load on more classes, and to take full advantage. Looking back now, I thought that two classes was enough to get me my degree within the next year, and with the amount of credits I still needed, and my finances, it wasn't. Looking back now, I only wish I could have gave myself a heads up about how much college costs! As much as people warn you, you never really realize it until you have to start paying for yourself!

John

I would advise myself to pursue the full diversity of opportunites available on campus. It can be quite easy to become too narrowly focused on GPA and to miss the opportunities which are not only personally fulfilling but will help position oneself to enter the professional world upon graduation. By becoming a well-rounded individual, one who pursues interests in a variety of ways, college becomes a lot more satisfying.

Its proximity to the opportunities available in New York City.

How to utilize the library resources on the various campuses.

Jeremy

Assume you could go back in time to yourself as a high school senior. Knowing what you know now about college life and making the transition, what advice would you give yourself? I would tell myself as a high school senior to look up scholarships and look into Bright futures. I say those two things because first of all everyone is not going to get financial aid. So what do you do then? Apply for scholarships because that’s the thing that could save your life rather than taking out a loan. I would also tell myself “would you rather spend ten minutes on something that could get you 2,000 dollars or would you rather spend hours on something that is important but it will guilt you the rest of your life?” Because like I said taking out a loan is an option. But who wants to have someone harassing them about money? Let’s be Honest I know I don’t and I know you don’t either. I would tell myself look up bright futures because you never know if you believe what one or two people tell you. I am a product of these words.

emmanuel

i would tell myself to work harder and get even better grades. i would also tell myself to start the applications process and the enrollment process much sooner.

i dont think theres anything wrong with my school. perhaps the buildings and classrooms need updating, but thats it. i love everything about rutgers-newark

Anyone trying to seriously further their education. Rutgers-Newark also offers internships with neighboring schools such as NJIT and UMDNJ

Rutgers Newark probably gets a 8 out of 10 in my book. There is not a lot of school spirit, and there is a lack of feeling like you are on a college campus at times. Probably one of the reasons why I feel this way is because I am a commuter. I spend most of my free time between classes in the computer lab or in the library. The only place else to go during free time would be the campus center, but if you need a quiet place to get things done, you need the library. I do like that there are multiple computer labs on campus. I also like that the university is so diverse. The people on campus come from many different cultures, and they bring unique ideas into the classroom.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

There are two libraries on campus. The best one to get work done is in the Law Library. Even though you are technically supposed to be a law student, just as long as you are not talking and are not obnoxious, no one will say anything to you. The Dana Library is also a pretty nice place to get work done. In the quiet room, there are nice comfortable chairs to sit in and there are even booth-like tables to spread your work out on. I've spent many hours in that library typing up last minute papers and studying for numerous exams!

What are your classes like?

I love my classes. My first two years I got most of my required gen-ed classes out of the way. My third year I took a lot of classes in my major, which was so much fun. I made friends since most of the people in my classes were in more than just one. The majority of the professors are super friendly and are willing to spend time with you if you need help. They have what are called office hours. During that time, you can drop by their office and they will spend time with you answering your questions. This is a nice time to get to know the professors since some of the classes are in lecture halls and there are a lot of students in them.

There are several fraternities and sororities on campus that are pretty popular. I do not personally belong to any of them, but I always see fliers around campus or people wearing their Greek labeled sweatshirts. I do however, belong to quite a few honor societies. These honor societies are pretty active and stay involved. As for the dorm life, I am not really sure since I am a commuter. I heard that there are a lot of activities and such on campus for those who dorm, but I'm not sure.

Unique. Every student at Rutgers Newark has a unique feature about them. No one is singled out because they are "different" since everyone is different. Wearing sweatshirts and sweatpants to class is not abnormal for most students. No one really judges one another. Rutgers Newark has so many different kinds of students, from all age ranges and all ethnic backgrounds. Everyone seems to get along, and no one singled out.

Academics are pretty good at Rutgers Newark. If you want to learn, you will. Most professors are very friendly and easy to approach. Since I am, what most would consider, a nerd, I sit up front in most of my classes and participate a lot. This allows the teacher to have interactions with me and get to learn my name. If you are a student that is not very interactive with lectures, the teacher will most likely not know your name since most classes are a little on the large size. Even though classes are large, there are always opportunities to participate and be active in classroom discussions.

Well this is a little bit difficult to say... I think the biggest one is that we are not smart. Yes, we are not main campus Rutgers, but not everyone WANTS to go to main campus. Me, for one, got accepted to main campus, but did not want to go there. Rutgers Newark has a world full of resources for Criminal Justice than New Brunswick does, and I didn't want to see a million people that went to my high school, just about every day in college. There are a lot of smart people on campus, so no, the stereotype is not true that people on Newark campus are not as intelligent.

JodiAnn

The most unique thing about my school compared to the other schools I've considered is the diversity in racial backgrounds and cultures. Rutgers is known to be the most diverse university in the State of New Jersey. In addition to its acceptance of students with diverse background, Rutgers also accepts students who are not so eductated and works along with such students to become the executives of today's society and graduate with honors.

If I could go back in time as a high school senior and advice myself; knowing what I know now about college, I would advise myself that college is very competitive and challenging. There will be students who are way more advance than I am and in order to make it to the top I have to work very hard and be sure to stay focus. I must be ready to face the real world and the challenges that it brings. My collegiates will not have pitty and push me ahead of them, the professors will not give me an easy 'A' and the recruiters are not looking for the regular so I must be unique or stand out. I have to be sharp and on point with my grades, be active in community services and join organizations/clubs. In addition, I would also advise myself to try to get an internship to gain some experience in my career field and never procrastinate and wait until the last minute to do my work. If I had all this in mind as a high school senior, I would have better grades and be more ready to meet all my challenges.

I wish I had known we were going to do so much case studies and group projects. After all, that is what college is all about; however, due to the fact that I was attending a small community college with little group projects and no case study to do, I was under the impression that college can be a walk over until I came to Rutgers University. It is more challenging and I wish I had known that, because I could have been more prepared so I can meet all my expectations with ease.

Andrea

One of the many things I got out of my college experience was that it is ok to be different. Newark is a very diverse and large city. I grew up in a small white town in South Jersey. Newark made me make friends I was never able to be around because of where I grew up and allowed me to know that everyone really was equal, no matter where you come from, what language you speak, or what color you are. Although this is something every child learns when they are young, or at least should learn when they are young, it's a lesson you must experience to believe it for yourself. The diversity was something I will take with me for life, because I have made life long friends from everywhere during college. Hard work does pay off. I believe college and a diverse community allowed me to make all my own mistakes, learn on my own, and still graduate in 4 years. If I stayed at a college around my house, I know I would not be as accepting and challenging to new ideas, people, and places if it weren't for going away to Rutgers.

I think everyone could find a place for themselves at this school.

How diverse the campus is. I have never met so many people from so many places around the world and the US.

Krista

There are many people in the world who aren’t able to attend school or will never get the chance to receive an education because of circumastances, finances, or whatever it may be. I am blessed to be given the opportunity to come to school and learn. In high school, I took education for granted. As a college student though it’s not something I’m just given. I have to want it and strive for it. I have been challenged in my classes and have learned a lot from my peers and from my teachers. These people will be unforgettable along with the experiences I have had with them. I hope to apply all that I have learned from my teachers, classes, friends, and experiences to my life now as a student and eventually to my future career.

Abdurrahman

Rutgers University is known for football and basketball. Also it is known for a great enviroment to study with excellent professors and shooling.

In Rutgers University, I completed bachelor of arts majoring in mathematics, and I completed urban education program. There I extend my knowledge in mathematics, and I got prepared to teach math in secondary school. II got teaching certificate from New Jersey by compliting urban education program. Because the competition to teach now is huge, I did not get a teaching job in public schools. Anyway, I starting tutoring geometry, SAT in math section, algenra I, II, and precalculus. Tutoriing job gives me an opportunity to be in touch with my occupation and hopefully to get a teaching job soon. In many states, there is necessary to have a master degree in order to teach. In New Jersey is not the case, but teaching candidates with master have better opportunities for teaching job in secondary schools. So, I applied in Western Governor University in Utah to persue master degree in teaching mathematics from 5-12 grades. I hope, I am going to get the way in compliting master degree, too. I deeply believe Rutgers University prepared me to pas challanges in teaching and learning. Now I hope a scholarship will help me make my dream come true by getting master degree.

A person who is interested to work seriously and who is a hard working student.

Rutgers University-Newark administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.