Newark, NJ
Rutgers University-Newark

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rutgers University-Newark

William

My classmates are diverse, and our unwritten motto is: mutual acceptance and respect.

Rutgers-Newark is one of the most diverse campuses I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. The university is open to people from all walks of life and orientation, and every race, color and creed imaginable. A true melting pot, all cultures and ways of life were always met with mutual acceptance and respect. I cannot recall any hate crimes against any group. Students were so respectful of each other, that when our guest speaker at graduation talked about racism on campus, we collectively "booed" him. You will find every "slice-of-life" character at Rutgers-Newark, and I guarantee whatever prejudices you may have had when entering the university, you will leave them behind forever upon graduation. Thanks to Rutgers, I know that everyone counts, regardless of where they come from. Furthermore, I have learned that “tolerance” is not the answer, but “acceptance” of all people, regardless of orientation, faith, ethnicity or even political affiliation. If I had never set foot on the Rutgers-Newark campus, I may not have developed such a strong appreciation for my fellow men and women.

Although Rutgers-Newark is more of a "commuter" school, the administration has worked diligently over the years to create on campus housing.

There are basic conventions of analysis and communication that the world works on. The scientific process - things are never proven, they are merely never disproven; broad generalizations can be disproven with one counter example; the proper use of numbers, ratios, and marginal changes when proving or disproving points; and general formats for presenting ideas. These conventions are practiced by most of the educated world, regardless of their field of study, and without a college education I would never have been able to interact with that world. It is this world which drives forward much of the world's economic activity, and thus I feel my education has been a very valuable asset to me. Beyond that, my education has broadened my horizons, let me understand things I never would have understood before, and introduced me to some of the greatest people I have ever met. I do not know what might have become of my life if I'd never attended college, but if I do not regret my decision to attend, and if I could go back in time, I would not change my decision to go.

Those who expect to follow the beaten path and be successful.

Many students are either part time or full time while working jobs, and these students are not always fully prepared for class, making class move slowly.

Franchesca

Rutgers University is a very diverse university.

Rutgers University is a very diverse university.

I have gained alot through my college experience. I have been in classes with authors of books and lawyers, making me feel like I am really learning something. The professors bring their real life experiences to the class, making it a place where you want to go and learn because you are not just reading from the book. Rutgers University has been valuable to attend because of the relationships I have created with the professors and fellow students. The university, being the most diverse in the nation, has helped me form relationships with people that I would usually not relate with in the outside world. It brings people together, whether it being people that have the same major or people that are in the same Honor Society, relationships are created everyday and are everlasting.

I wish I would have known how diverse this university is, along with the different classes there are available to students. The professors are extremely intelligent, from previous state legislatures to authors of books we study in class. The university is the most diverse university in the nation so you meet people from all walks of the world. The classes are interesting, and the workload is not as difficult as one may think. Overall, the university is a place where the student has the ability to succeed if they put their minds to it.

Vinita

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, with the knowledge I now have of college life, i would deffinetely reassure myself. I was really nervous about making the transition to a new school, not just that but one that was located in Newark considering it has such a bad reputation. Furthermore i didnt know anyone else that was planning on attending this school so it took me completely out of my comfort zone. However after moving in i felt very at home right off the bat and I met a group of people that im still friends with that make living here very comfortable. Ive also been able to keep up with my work which was another worry. All in all i would tell myself to relax, realize that I have made a bunch of good choices and that I would be able to handle the road ahead.

Rutgers Newark has been called the most diverse campus for the last thirteen years, so I think someone who is not open to differences among students should not attend this school. The university has a lot to offer in many different fields, but if your not willing to take your initiative to take advantage of them you might want to attend a smaller more focussed school.

Karan

My school has an amazing biology department which works to make biology interesting for everyone.

Rutgers-Newark is best known for the campus diversity. About three in every four people here come from a different ethnical background. Meeting people from different backgrounds has given me an edge because I feel I have received insight that I would not have been able to gain elsewhere. My school produces students that are well-equipped for global competition due to the diversity of people and therefore diversity of thought that is found on campus.

If I was allowed to go back in time to address one issue normal college students face, I would give myself the following advice: the people you meet will have differing views and you should be organized in the way you argue since you will be involved in debates with people who argue well and people who argue in a fallacious manner. Over the course of my two semesters here at Rutgers University, I have met many people with different views. These differences occasionally fuel debate. The debates that ensued posed challenges for me as a person and a debater. Learning new information and being able to discuss an issue to hear all the views on the topic is something you will appreciate. The downside to the discussions is that sometimes you will argue with people that are very circular in their reasoning. You will need to have patience and understand that some arguments are not worth it. You will need to be prepared to disagree on certain issues to maintain civility. Finally, being able to debate will expand your overall knowledge so keep up with current events so that the discussions you engage in will enlighten you.

Albert

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, my past self would probably be amazed by how handsome and mature he looks in the future. I would tell my younger self to prioritize college research and applications as well as doing one's best on the standardized tests. He should be more confident and assertive of getting things done and not rely on parents too much. When things go awry, he should shrug it off and make the best out of the situation and strive to achieve more, learning from mistakes. When taking placement tests he should make the effort to review for them, more specifically the math placement test so he won't get placed in the same class he had/has in his senior year. If he does get placed in the same class, do not get discouraged for I didn't really learn it anyway. I'll tell me the mistakes I will make along the way so he could avoid them. Lastly I would tell me to do more inward thinking as to what I want to achieve in life and what do I want to accomplish and discover ourselves as an individual.

The dorms are above average in size. The campus is 20 min. from Manhattan. Parties are great. You'll never go hungry if you dorm. Student body is very diverse and lots of social interaction.

Most of the students are commuters. About 10-15% live on campus. Surrounding city is not as nice as NYC. Weekends are kind of boring.

Krista

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, i would go back and tell myself how hard life is after high school. I would also tell myself to better perpare myself for the outside world, because it is hard to function and make on your on. I would tell myself that it is best to appreciate the help that is given to you while your in high school, because after school your just on your own. You have no one to tell you how to fill out college appilcations, fasa's, or how to write scholarship essay's. So if i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the most important thing that i would say is to just pay attention and accept all help that is offered to you.

Derek

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that the next four years are going to be the most exciting, and memorable years of your life, so don't waste a single moment of them. You will see and learn things that will change your whole perspective on life. These next four years will open your eyes to a whole new world. The only advice I could give my self would be that every ounce of responsibility you show during college will pay pounds of dividends later in life. So take advantage of everything the university has to offer you. Attend all of the optional seminars, utilize your guidance officers, let the career services office help you with your career, most importantly make sure you study early and often. Do not procrastinate. College life is very fun and can be very easy if you simply DO NOT PROCRASINATE. For every time you do, you cause yourself unneeded stress and anxiety. There is a simple equation that you will not learn in class but will help you graduate: Study First + Party Second = having fun at college and graduating too.

The diverse atmosphere is very educational. Working with students and professors from so many different backgrounds is a great way to learn and experience school and life is a way that really expands your mind.

The amazing access my school has to New York City and the atmosphere of living in a big city.

Laura

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would start with "remember your guidance counselor?" Be aggressive in making sure you can get all the help possible to get to school as comfortably as possible, passive indifference is not the way to go. Make friends with your teachers, ask for college advice, they've all been there! I regret not having been more aggressive in my math placements. Had I taken more science and upper level math courses, I'm sure I would have been much more comfortable in related study areas. Saving up as much money as possible is advice I needed as a school senior, I never assumed I would be scraping up whatever I can get from work to pay my tuition. My top advice would be, save money, read as much as you can, practice what you've learned whenever you can, wise study skills, and remembering to maintain a scholar's mentality . That meaning I'm not going to college to get a piece of paper that states I learned something but to have the confidence that I have become innovative through it.

Definitely the worst thing about my school is the parking. Getting to class on time sometimes becomes a hassle when there is absolutely no parking withing a 10 mile radius (exaggerated). The only way I've gotten around that is waking up at 6 to get there at 8 for a 1 PM class. Parking and workload are my top school annoyances.

What I brag about most when I tell my friends about school is the workload for chemistry majors. Not something I'm necessarily happy about, but I can definitely say I'm really working hard.

Ashley, Your grades really do matter. I know that you cant tell now, but if you dont care about your grades we wont be able to get into the good college we want to get into later on down the road. And please stop skipping classes because one day soon you really will need to know some of the stuff they teach you. Oh and college is great! you`ll love it. Its way better then highschool and alot less confusing once you are actually here. Talk to you soon!

Rutgers University-Newark administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.