Salem College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Salem College

Alyssa

Salem College is a very nice school, however there are some things that need serious work such as better quality food that doesn't give us food poisoning constantly near the end of spring term. Maybe more transparency as to where our money goes, if not to better wifi and upkeep on all the dorms? Better policies towards students of color and those who are LGBTQ+ . We have these classes called REST, which is when students can learn about important topics such as Race and Ethnicity, Ethics, and the like. And we wish it was required so that some of our students (who very much need them). The campus is beautiful, and the people are typically nice save for the few bad apples who don't like POC or immigrants. Professors are super helpful (typically), and most students have great relationships with them. Overall, on the surface the school is great, however like any school it has its own deep dark secrets.

Sidney

Salem College is a women's college in which there is a focus on preparing women to enter their desired career field with the best resume possible. There is a heavy emphasis on academics here and students are encouraged to go beyond average. Professors, faculty and staff all support each student and are willing to help them in any way. Salem also encourages its students to develop well-rounded resumes through involvement in extra curricular activities. Upon graduation, Salem students are fully prepared to take the next step whether it be graduate school, medical school, or seeking employment in a career of their dreams. Salem is a place where young women come to become distinguished professionals.

Calleah

Thoughout my four years of being a student here, I've not only had the opportunity to engage in intellectual conversation in the classroom, but I've done so outside of the classroom . Whether it be open discussion with classmates and professors or in your room with friends, there is always a space where we are challenged to think and analyze what goes on in our daily lives. No this is not to say that every single thing we do is academic, but this is to say that Salem is a place that prepares students for the world. I can truly say that I have be pushed to think for myself and I've become more open hearing and respecting the different views that others may have. In doing so, I can truly say that Salem has been a huge help in my personal growth and I am glad that I made the decision to come here.

Sharissa

I will be attending this fall however my sister graduated a few years back and the school is everything she said it was. The people are all super nice and more than welcoming, the teachers and students I have meet so far are really caring and want you to get involved with all the activities and clubs and the campus itself is beautiful, it reminds me of a scene from a Disney classic.

Olivia

I think that Salem College is not only a good place to learn, but a good place to heal. Often times, girls are reminded of what they cannot do, but here you feel like you can do anything and the whole school is behind you; that is why I say it is a good place to heal. As a women pursuing medicine, I would say that the relationships I have built here with the faculty are invaluable. The faculty listen and treat you as they would a peer, which is really important to me feeling confident about my future. The overall atmosphere is so invigorating and refreshing. I am proud to be a Salem Sister.

Shannon

Salem has a very positive culture where we are truly part of a sisterhood that supports everyone. While there is of course some drama as there will be anywhere Salem consistently creates and accepting and supportive environment in which to pursue an education. The faculty and administration also pay personal attention to Salem students as individuals and you will never feel like a number here.

Priscila

Salem College is a college that helps empower women and has a faculty of professionals that constantly work with the students. It is a college that I am happy to be a part of and the sense of community is wonderful. I feel right at home.

Anna

I am honestly not that happy with my attendance at Salem College so far. I feel as if we were fed lies at orientations, campus visits, and in emails. I suppose it is a way of making money and they have to make the school look good. It it not all terrible, however it is not $40,000 a year good. Not even close. I feel alienated from administration and looked down upon honestly. Many times, the financial aid services here have done me wrong. The website says they are dedicated to helping their students and that we can walk in anytime. That's not true. Many people have looked at my profile before and neglected to point out details to me; all for me to later get an email saying I owe "blank" amount of money because of this "blank." Something no one told me about. Something, as a first year at this school wouldn't know. When going to someone about it, I was told, "you should be knowing what you are signing up for anyways." Cold. Dismissed. If you can't tell, I am not too pleased with this school. They then try to fine you for every little thing possible, making me question if it is really a non-for-profit school...we already pay $40,000 a year. Another thing about that; the food is terrible. That further makes me question where that $40,000 goes. My other peers are also very displeased with this school. It is kind of like this negativity always looming over our heads. On the other hand, the friends I have made there are great and everyone tries to take care of each other. Since we are all suffering together and it is a small community school, it is very close knit and that part is cool. So far, I have also had pretty good professors. I have learned a lot and am still learning. I am trying to not be too bitter. The main issue here is money, which can honestly affect your grades when you're always worrying if the next bill will even get paid. I have decided to try other ways of making money and to just finish out the rest of my degree there. I then want to transfer to Appalachian State in NC, where I feel that I will be much, much happier.

Kerri

Salem is a diverse, exciting, and welcoming school. Immediately I felt right at home. The bond of the sisterhood is something I won't find anywhere else, and I love having small classes and actually knowing my professors, deans, and president! Salem may be small, but we offer an unforgettable experience and prepare women to go out and change the world!

Esmarelda

It's a college my guys.

Salem College has changed my life. While this sounds super dramatic, I can't find any other words that are fitting enough to describe my experiences here. Everything about this campus draws me here. I was first initially interested in Salem because of the small class sizes which has rung true in every class. My largest class has been 40 students while my smallest class has been 5 students. My professors not only know me by name but they know be based on who I am. My love for Salem goes past the academics as well. Salem is one of the oldest college campuses in the United States and plays host to many traditions that bond her students. Whether that is Big/Little, Fall Fest, or our Honor Code, I know that I have a connection to all members of the Salem community which truly make me feel welcome to this environment. While it may seem that I was excited to attend Salem College ever since I heard of it, that was not always the case. I was hesitant about attending a women's college. However, I can say without a doubt that I couldn't be happier anywhere else. This institution rises women up in each and every field so that we can bridge intersectional inequality in terms of jobs and careers. I am proud to call Salem College my forever home.

Virginia

As a college senior, I don't believe that there is a better place for me to have landed. One amazing thing about Salem is the great sense of community between your Salem Sisters. The professors are amazing, they are very willing to go above and beyond for their students. Smaller class sizes are one of the greatest catalysts for proper learning. The campus is absolutely beautiful. All, in all, there is no place quite like Salem.

It is a school that is welcoming to everyone and extremely diversified. The students and the staff are always smiling and never judgmental of another human being. The school has great classes and great teachers along with having great sources if you need help in any course.

Raechel

It is my senior year, and Salem has given me more than I could have even begun to imagine. During my time here, I have found my voice, my purpose, and the proper tools and avenues to pursue that purpose. I have never been more sure of a decision in my life- Salem is more than my school; it is my home. If I were to go back in time, I would choose Salem again in a heartbeat. At Salem, I've been able to find so many intangible treasures, but I've also been able to attain an education that is well-rounded, practical, and worth all of the hard work that I've put into attaining my degree. Salem ever!!!

shelley

Salem is an awesome college, however I feel as though it is for people who aren't really looking for a large campus or your "typical" college experience. Everyone is really nice and considerate, but there are also a lot of strict rules and a lot of people here are sheltered. This can get kind of annoying.

Sheldon

Historic and oldest continuously operating college for women in the nation. established in 1772, older than our country. In the heart of historic Old Salem. All Women school eliminates the competition between the sexes and no distractions. Established on the Moravian religious fundamentals and has a lot of religious organizations on campus.

Angela

Ever since I visited Salem for the first time, it gave me the feeling of the comfort of home away from home. I love the atmosphere that the faculty, staff, and students all strive to have. There is a very trusting relationship between us all that allows the college to flow freely and smoothly. I love Salem also for the academic experiences it allows such as multiple majors, study abroad opportunities, and many academic clubs that allow tutoring and things of that nature. Salem College wants nothing more than it's students to succeed and move on to do great things.

Fabiola

Salem College is a place where student feel like they are home. The surroundings are amazing in a way that students can sit in the outside patio and enjoy lunch with their friends and family. As a freshman, I see how much passion the student on campus have for the Salem community. There are always student and staff that say good evening to one another and everyone get alone. When going to the campus there are so many feelings that happens as the students are giving tours, there are sensations that make the people that are visiting want to stay there forever and it a welcoming place. The classes that are though by the professor are amazing based on that the classes are not big like other colleges. When it comes to the professor they are always available whenever a student is in need of clarification of a material of if they have any question. One thing that I really true love is that the college has a town hall every month of the day, yet, it gives the student updates that are occurring in the college and what need regulation there are. I loved my first semester because you are able to pick the schedule that you want and each department has their own advisor, in which the student has the advisor until the student chooses their major. When it comes to public safety the police department has a training of self-defense so that the student is well inform.

ashley

This was one of the worst years of my life. They have a tradition that allows hazing of the underclass, in the middle of the night around 3-4 in the morning all the seniors run through the hallways pounding on the underclassmen’s doors with hammer, bats and other assorted items. It is has been a long standing tradition that is allowed by the school. With such a high rate of women be survivors of assault and other violent acts it is hard to comprehend why a school would allow just behavior. To wake up in the middle of the night and having 100 + people running, screaming and pounding on doors with large items is not an environment I would ever want to be a part of. They enforce strict rules about guests and micro manage the dorms yet they allow and support hazing on campus. I was bullied by security on campus, they would come in and search my room, flipping things over and leaving things a mess. They never found any alcohol but still searched my room several times in a disrespectful manor. There was a major divide between legacy students and non-legacy students. Girls bullied each other on campus and staff would feed into it. Staff and campus leaders (president, student services) are MIA. I never knew anyone who ran campus, heard from the president, any department heads or other helpful staff. I was lost on campus and felt like there was no one to reach out to. There was no strong bond with the departments until JR or SR years. If you are looking for a women's college go to Stephens College. I ended up transferring and was so glad I did! Amazing community of female leaders and an environment that fosters innovation!

Leigha

Salem College academically is a great school to go to. The class size is between 12-20 people so there is a very small student to professor ratio making it very accessible to get extra help if need be. It offers division 3 athletics which still requires a serious athlete commitment without competing with academics.

Lizet

Salem College is a very comfortable campus but no matter how personal the experience is, there is nothing like home. Keep in mind that this is coming from an out of state student. The food and house is okay but will take time to get use to. The professors and students are friendly and make it easy to make close relationships starting with the Big-Little program.

Julissa

It definitely needs some major changes with administration, but one would not have a better experience or relationships among professors and classmates. There also needs to be changes in our dorms and food. I had to go off campus because it's a shame they only have one good dorm to offer and so many sophomores end up there because of "medical notes."

Esmarelda

The campus is gorgeous and filled to the brim with history (and Pokestops). It is rare that you can walk through campus without seeing someone you know and can say hello to. Some people say that there is nowhere to go to be alone, but if you pay attention there are plenty of places to go when needing alone time. The academics are exactly as I expected; they are difficult at times but ultimately meant to ensure education. I've yet to meet a member of the faculty or staff that does not try to help you.

MaKayla

Salem is so diverse and extremely welcoming. From the moment I applied they have been nothing but so genuine and son kind. They do everything they can to make you feel at home. The faculty are always checking up on the students and making sure everything is ok with them. They really treat you like a family.

Natasha

In my opinion, Salem College is a great school for if your someone who is not super social and prefer to be by yourself.

Take our Scholarship Match Quiz!