Salem, MA
Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Salem State University

Additional Loan Options

Washington University provides an open, diverse, and rigerous learning environment, while also encouraging students to enrich themselves through community involvement.

College is what you make of it: seize all the opportunities! Balance, balance, balance: eating vegetables and exercising are not healthy to forget Take random classes; you may find a new passion Communicate: Say what you mean in a straight-forward manner Get to know yourself: What do you want from college? Where do you see yourself? Do not be so afraid: Be brave and bold! Meet new people Make a list of goals you want to accomplish on-campus (for example, find the underground tunnels or go to the observatory) Go out once a month with friends and explore the city Attend classes and professor's office hours: Do not be intimidated by professors! They are there to help you. Take thorough notes Always have back-up chocolate supplies!

There is always construction being done on-campus. The meal plan costs a lot.

Brandy

Brandy this is the time that may seem like it is time for a bunch of fun and party time, but if you sit back and think about it in 5-10 years where do you see yourself? Think about it, It's your a senior now on your way to college do you think partying will always be the life? Going to college will be an opportunity of a life time that many never get a chance to see. When you graduate from high school thats when the beginning of an adult starts. It's called accountablility and responsibility. Take this time to really figure out what's important. Think about the vaules and morals you will one day want to teach your children. Take this time to take control of your life and steer it in any direction you want. Get all the education and knowledge that you can get you owe that to yourself. College offers so many opportunities and will take you to places you never thought you would go. Set an example in life pay the way for the next generation after you. Teach them that knowledge is everything.

Casey

There are so many different kinds of people, and everyone generally accepts people the way they are. Being in the Theatre Department, you get many ranges of sexualities, views, and imaginations. It makes every day different, new, and exciting. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Don't be afraid to just walk up to a group of people and sit down. You can always just sit in silence for a while and listen, or you could contribute to the conversation. Don't forget that learning doesn't just take place in the classroom, it takes place in the halls, in the dorm rooms, in the dining halls and anywhere else that there are people who are different from yourself. Take chances, and try something new. Push yourself to do something that you are afraid of, because once you accomplish it, you can do anything. Always do what makes you truely happy, and spread that peace to those around you.

Severely Right-winged, straigh edged.

Daniel

Because Salem State University has a reputation for being easy to get into, the stereotype of SSU students is that they aren't very bright, and aren't going to go anywhere in life. There definitely are some students here who seem "below-average" in terms of intelligence, but over all, students here are politically aware, and know plenty of general knowledge.

shabria

i would tell myself to take high school very seriously. college is no joke and is very exspensive. when you go to college you should do your very best because what you accomplish in college will most likely affect you the rest of your life. high school determines what college you will get accepted to. it determies if you will be able to achieve your future goals. also start applying for scholorships too. they will help you in the long run. make good grades so you can get hope scholorships and get into a good college.

kaitlin

not to be too concerned with picking out a major. take classes that interest you and you'll figure it out from there. Get involved with your classes and once you decide on a major, get involved with the department.

someone interested in a liberal arts education who wants to experience a campus that is surrounded by neighborhoods but close to a major city. Salem state also offers more physical science like geology or geography that not many schools offer. The classes tend to be small depending on the major and professors are helpful.

Parking! and sometimes the office hours of professors can be hard to coordinate with class schedules. I also wish there were more places to study or hang out on campus.

Salem State is fun and really allowed me to open up to a lot of people.

Salem State is fun and really allowed me to open up to a lot of people.

I like the city atmosphere and it has a lot of historical virtue. There is always something to do around the area and is just a fun and comfortable place to be. There is a lot of diversity and a lot of people to meet.

First I would have to tell myself to lighten up. College is fun and it doesn't have to be as stressful as everyone makes it out to be. There is no need to be shy because there are tons of other students just like you that are going to be experiencing something new. The independence is a great, a sense of freedom, yet it needs to be handled with responsibility. There isn't really anyone to watch out for you every second. You have to do things for yourself and make sure you get to class on time. The professors don't really care if you show up to class or not, it is your money that you are wasting. Like I said, college is fun and the people you meet there are one of a kind. So go ahead and let loose from time to time. However, just remember that you need to realize when it is time to buckle down and juggle between school time and social time because that is going to be the biggest struggle. Once you figure out how to balance school with your social life, you will have a very successful college career.

Emory

Assuming that I could indeed go back in time, I think that I would tell myself how much I do not need to worry about college! I spent a lot of my senior and junior year of high school stressing about the many factors of college acceptance along with college life and my academic future (as an undeclared student), and everything over the course of my first year here at Salem State turned out better than anything I imagined. Not only did I recieve great support from teachers and counselors about picking my classes and working towards a major - I even have a minor picked out because of them now - I did great in another area I have never done well in: making friends. This is sometimes an uncomfortable subject with me, but I really am not good at talking to people and making friends, and spent many nights fearing what it would be like going to a college where I would have none of my old highschool friends with me. I would tell my younger self that I don't need to worry at all, because my social and academic lives are working themselves out for the best.

I wish that I had known exactly how good these classes were going to be before I came so that I wasn't on the fence about collages! The very small class sizes coupled with interactive and caring professors gave me an experience that I honestly believed I was not going to get at this or honestly any college I could go to.

Possibly a city person who likes the weekend and night life at a college. Salem State is still a large commuter school, and many students leave the campus after regular classes and many others leave over the weekend. The downtown area might leave much to be desired for those types of people as well, though I personally am not that kind of person and actually like these conditions.

DEBORAH

My classmates are friendly when it comes to group activities, they are always interested in the class, and if you missed or dont understand an assignment they are more than willing to help out.

Our campus buildings are spread out and away from eachother. If you drive around the campus you will mostly see students walking to and from classes. Salem State is real close to my house. Students will hangout anywhere on their laptop whether its in the hall or at Dunkin Donuts. Theres multiple computer labs rather than just one big one.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to seriously thinking about my decision and research different schools in my area. I knew I didnt want to live away, so I felt like salem state was my only option. Going into colled with an undeclared major and still undecided two years later, I tend to think I made the wrong decision and now im stuck. If I could go back, I would tell myself to go to a community school to save myself the money, pressure to decide on a major, and time wasted in classes that might not be towards my chosen major.

Tyron

My school is best known for the campus diversity and the activity on campus. Each year the campus is known for their many things they do for example our walk for hospice, and various community service days. Also a lot of the campus diversity comes from the many programs. All of the programs on our campus serve to helping students get involved in the city and give everybody a chance to be their self. So basically one thing we are best known for is having a strong campus.

Basically I would tell myself three things. Balance your social life with school. Make sure you’re having fun but always remember play hard, but work harder. I think this is great advice to every college freshmen because you’re looking for what you see in movies so your main focus is really to have fun in school. Secondly I would tell myself everything is a learning experience, even if I was to fail at college it’s learning and growing experience. So everything that happens while in school whether good or bad the least that can happen is that you get a valuable lesson learned in life. Lastly I would advise myself on living. This is a serious transition in life you are learning to be responsible and living on your own for the first time in life. Basic things like eating right, taking medication and exercising are very important to remember.

I think this school is for the student who wants to get away from home but not too far. The reason I say that is most of the students who attend this school are looking to get away from their town and join a campus family that they feel best fits them. I think this school is the perfect place for someone to make long lasting friendships with people that are similar to them, because there are so many diverse groups of people who live on this campus and all interact with each other.

Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.