Salem, MA
Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Salem State University

Fixed  rate loan

Salem State is fun and really allowed me to open up to a lot of people.

Salem State is fun and really allowed me to open up to a lot of people.

I like the city atmosphere and it has a lot of historical virtue. There is always something to do around the area and is just a fun and comfortable place to be. There is a lot of diversity and a lot of people to meet.

First I would have to tell myself to lighten up. College is fun and it doesn't have to be as stressful as everyone makes it out to be. There is no need to be shy because there are tons of other students just like you that are going to be experiencing something new. The independence is a great, a sense of freedom, yet it needs to be handled with responsibility. There isn't really anyone to watch out for you every second. You have to do things for yourself and make sure you get to class on time. The professors don't really care if you show up to class or not, it is your money that you are wasting. Like I said, college is fun and the people you meet there are one of a kind. So go ahead and let loose from time to time. However, just remember that you need to realize when it is time to buckle down and juggle between school time and social time because that is going to be the biggest struggle. Once you figure out how to balance school with your social life, you will have a very successful college career.

Emory

Assuming that I could indeed go back in time, I think that I would tell myself how much I do not need to worry about college! I spent a lot of my senior and junior year of high school stressing about the many factors of college acceptance along with college life and my academic future (as an undeclared student), and everything over the course of my first year here at Salem State turned out better than anything I imagined. Not only did I recieve great support from teachers and counselors about picking my classes and working towards a major - I even have a minor picked out because of them now - I did great in another area I have never done well in: making friends. This is sometimes an uncomfortable subject with me, but I really am not good at talking to people and making friends, and spent many nights fearing what it would be like going to a college where I would have none of my old highschool friends with me. I would tell my younger self that I don't need to worry at all, because my social and academic lives are working themselves out for the best.

I wish that I had known exactly how good these classes were going to be before I came so that I wasn't on the fence about collages! The very small class sizes coupled with interactive and caring professors gave me an experience that I honestly believed I was not going to get at this or honestly any college I could go to.

Possibly a city person who likes the weekend and night life at a college. Salem State is still a large commuter school, and many students leave the campus after regular classes and many others leave over the weekend. The downtown area might leave much to be desired for those types of people as well, though I personally am not that kind of person and actually like these conditions.

DEBORAH

My classmates are friendly when it comes to group activities, they are always interested in the class, and if you missed or dont understand an assignment they are more than willing to help out.

Our campus buildings are spread out and away from eachother. If you drive around the campus you will mostly see students walking to and from classes. Salem State is real close to my house. Students will hangout anywhere on their laptop whether its in the hall or at Dunkin Donuts. Theres multiple computer labs rather than just one big one.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to seriously thinking about my decision and research different schools in my area. I knew I didnt want to live away, so I felt like salem state was my only option. Going into colled with an undeclared major and still undecided two years later, I tend to think I made the wrong decision and now im stuck. If I could go back, I would tell myself to go to a community school to save myself the money, pressure to decide on a major, and time wasted in classes that might not be towards my chosen major.

Tyron

My school is best known for the campus diversity and the activity on campus. Each year the campus is known for their many things they do for example our walk for hospice, and various community service days. Also a lot of the campus diversity comes from the many programs. All of the programs on our campus serve to helping students get involved in the city and give everybody a chance to be their self. So basically one thing we are best known for is having a strong campus.

Basically I would tell myself three things. Balance your social life with school. Make sure you’re having fun but always remember play hard, but work harder. I think this is great advice to every college freshmen because you’re looking for what you see in movies so your main focus is really to have fun in school. Secondly I would tell myself everything is a learning experience, even if I was to fail at college it’s learning and growing experience. So everything that happens while in school whether good or bad the least that can happen is that you get a valuable lesson learned in life. Lastly I would advise myself on living. This is a serious transition in life you are learning to be responsible and living on your own for the first time in life. Basic things like eating right, taking medication and exercising are very important to remember.

I think this school is for the student who wants to get away from home but not too far. The reason I say that is most of the students who attend this school are looking to get away from their town and join a campus family that they feel best fits them. I think this school is the perfect place for someone to make long lasting friendships with people that are similar to them, because there are so many diverse groups of people who live on this campus and all interact with each other.

Derek

I would advise myself to stay focused on my education rather than my social life. When I was a senior in high school I was more worried about my reputation rather than my future.

I commute to school and my main arguement is the commute. Driving through Salem is dreadful no matter what time of day it is.

Salem State has a great business school, especially for a state university. I mostly brag about the education level for a state college.

Michelle

I would tell myself that it was okay to not be sure about what I wanted to do in life. It seemed like everyone was so sure about what they wanted to do, and I wasn't. I enlisted in the United States Air Force a year after I graduated. It gave me the time to grow and think about what I wanted to. I always knew I wanted to help people, I just didn't know how. After my deployment I realized that I wanted to continue my education and become a pharmacist so that I could do more humanitarian work in or out of the military(depending if I am able to come back after school). Even though I am 27 and a junior at CSU Sac, I feel so much more prepared and sure about what I want to do in the future. I was able to make a decision on my future while still be the same 17 year old that just wanted to help someone back in high school.

Benjamin

Hello Ben! Congratulations on finishing high school and getting into Salem State University. Now I know your excited to begin your summer before going off to just another year of school, but there are a few things you should know first about money, classes friends and life in general. First off don't just slack off this summer. Apply for more scholarships and summer jobs, its never too late and trust me, you're going to need the extra money. Next studying for classes is just as important in college as it is in high school. During the summer you need to wake up early in the week so you are prepared for any 8 and 9 am classes you may have. Being prepared for this means that you are more likely to not sleep through these crucial classes. Don't worry about your roommate or making friends. The people you will meet will mostly be friendly and excited about school just like you, everything will work out fine. And finally relax, you'll make it out just fine, trust me.

The academics and student groups allow for interesting studies and lifelong friends.

The food service gets boring and the city all but shuts down after 11pm.

Rebekah

Hey senior me... WAKE UP! Stop sleeping through classes and give this your best effort. When you finally reach age twenty-six, you will greatly wish that you had paid more attention and tried harder this year. Also, try to think ahead a little. Next year isn't the only year you need to plan for, and your decisions today will determine if you have food to eat or clothes to wear once you're twenty. High school has more of an impact on your future than you think, so stay engaged and try your hardest. You won't regret that.

Kimberly

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first say to take more AP classes. Taking AP classes helps a lot with taking place of certain classes in college. I would also tell myself to make sure I participate in a lot of activities in college because they look great on resumes. I would also recommend to exercise all the tutoring facilities colleges offer because they really do help a great deal. I went to a community college before transfering to a four-year school and I would tell myself that it was a great decision because it was a great experience that saved me money. The last thing I would say would be to try and get a job related to the field I was majoring in. This would help me to gain experience and add excitement to my resume.

I think this school fits all personality types. Students should really consider their major and check out the programs Salem State offers for that major.

The most frustrating thing about Salem State College is the parking situation. If you have a 8'oclock class you should get there a little after seven to ensure a parking spot. This isn't a problem for me because I am an early birs but it is the biggest complaint I hear from other students. Also, the parking sticker is $50 and it doesn't even guarantee a spot. Other than that there isn't anything that bothers me about Salem State.

Abigail

Salem State University is best known for it's outstanding residence life program. Moving from a home lifestyle to a campus with hundreds of other students can be quite intimidating. Through programs that keep students active with their community, this transition is made much easier. The staff are incredibly well trained and educated and know how to make a wary student feel comfortable and confident.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell her to stop worrying so much. Making the move from a small town to the city is a giant change, but an incredible learning experience. I would tell her to relax, and take deep breaths, as well as to not wish away the time she has left at home. College changes you as a person entirely, as you learn so much about yourself along the way. My senior self was very anxious and wary of what was to come. Little did she know, it was going to be a lifestyle change that would prove to be nothing short of perfect.

When bragging about my school, I tend to focus on it's price and location. Attending a school in the Boston area can be extremely pricey, but Salem is close enough to the city yet far enough where they price isn't breaking my parent's backs. There's plenty to do such as head to the beach or take a train into the city, plus tons of malls and movie theaters. It's ideal for someone who likes to live a step up from the suburbs.

Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.