Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sam Houston State University

Athaliah

My classmates are eccentric, passonate, and fun; seriously the coolest and diverse group of people one could ever come across...

Do not be afraid to express your beliefs, because if you are not confident in what you believe you are just another lost soul. People are constantly looking for something to believe and grasp; when you are for something people will be interested in you. Set yourself on fire and people will come for miles to watch you burn, so ask yourself what are you on fire for? Stand for something or you will fall for anything.

The best thing about Sam is that it has a small school feel, even though the school is constantly growing the classes and the environment is very close knit. I really enjoy being able to make friends and see them the next semester without having to go find them.

Tony

My class mates are unique.

My class mates are unique.

Do not worry so much about your grades. The grades will only be there while you are in school. Focus more on obtaining the information the professor teaches you. Of corse you need to pass, but try to better understand the content of the lesson rather than cram to get an "A" on the test.

Javion

Considering the wealth of newly acquired knowledge I’ve had the privilege of learning, educational and life-related, I would advise my former self to follow his passion and embrace his uniqueness as an individual. I was cursed with the unfortunate ailment of social awkwardness that plagued me well into my sophomore year. Luckily, I was able to outgrow that very troublesome trait and accept my uniqueness, and in turn, I drastically increased my self-esteem and successfully interacted with a rather large number of my peers. I would have just wished this transition to occur at the inception of my high school experience. Knowing what I know now, I can easily attest to the fact that the entirety of my high school experience would’ve been much more desirable if I had embraced my differences as an individual and followed my own path as opposed to following others. All in all, I am thankful for the lessons that high school has taught me as it has been integral in bringing me to aforementioned conclusion and teaching me that individual differences are to embraced and not ignored as they define the aggregate worth of our existence as individuals.

Faculty and staff are not very supportive of student-run business and or profit -making operations on or near campus. Also, the deans of most of the individual colleges, including the Dean of Students, are rarely accessible by the students of the school.

I would recommend someone that is fond of the smaller yet personal classroom environment. I believe those that prefer a smaller campus and a corressponding classroom environment should attend this school.

If I were able to go back and give advice to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself two things. First, I would tell myself to enjoy school while it's free. In high school, we spend so much time wishing we were in college or not forced to attend school when in reality, it is so much better than constantly worrying about how you are going to pay your tuition, books, supplies, and living expenses. Second, I'd tell myself that I needed to work harder. While I took dual classes, and was in the top 10% of my class, I wasn't prepared at all for what an actual university was going to throw my way. It takes a lot of studying, time, and dedication to your degree to actually accomlpish anything. All in all, those are the two biggest things that I'd warn my ignorant self about.

If you love performing arts, business, or criminal justice, this is a great school. Otherwise, a prospective student should take into account how physically fit they are and how much they love rain because the campus is covered in steep hills and stair cases and rains at least once or twice a week during a dry spell.

There is only one thing I can think of that is frustrating to me about SHSU. While there are approximately 19,000 students, there are only 10,000 parking spaces. This, as you can imagine, makes it very hard to make it to class on time when you have go spend an hr looking for a parking spot.

Paula

My classmates are loud, and crazy but they do get their work done when the teacher ask them too.

To never give up on anything, make everything you do be your best in never let people tell you differnt.

All the attuteds in stuff why because with attudes like what these kids have is not going to work in the real world in right now they not understanding it.

Step outside your comfort zone. Do as many things as possible. Meet as many new people you can. Do not waste time on things that do not matter. Make everyday count. Study. Make mistakes. Fix the mistakes. Get enough sleep. Plan head. Don't procrastinate. Talk to your professors. Make life long friends. Most importantly, this is going to be an awesome part of your life, get ready.

If you are a person who enjoys urban living and being in a big city, SHSU might not be the college for you. It is a pretty small town with some activities to do while not in school, but not many. If you have a hard time making friends, you might also not like SHSU due to the many commuter students who attend. The town is pretty dead on the weekends.

A person who likes an intimate environment for learning would enjoy SHSU. Also if a person likes the "small town" feel of a place, Huntsville is great. The school is know for its education, business and criminal justice majors. If considering any of these firelds SHSU is the way to go.

Gabrielle

I have not meet a lot but some seem really nice and some seem like they are still in high school.

If I could go back and give myself advice I would say listen to the advice that is given to you whether it would be from a stanger or from your parents. I would also say that dont be afraid to start over in a new place. Dont try and keep hold of something just so you dont have to go to college alone. You will meet new people possibly better people then the one friend you try to keep. Be yourself dont change for any reason or anyone. Its okay to be sad and scared; terrified even, its normal. Remember why you are doing this and that you are loved and supported by your family and someone who loves you. Things are going to change and thats good because change reveals who people really are and who you are and how strong you are. Take one day at a time; one moment at a time. Breath when things get bumpy and remember its okay to cry. Dont be afraid to pick up the phone and call your family. Breath and you will make it through, hopefully :). Take it day by day and breath.

I believe that like any school if you dont really wanna go to that school then dont. If you are a party person this is not the school for you.

Kyra

My school is known for being the best education programs and one of the best criminal justice programs in the state of Texas.

Hey Kyra, This is your future self just writing to give you some advice. I know you are stressing out about college and leaving home, but just stop and breathe. Their are so many things I wish I could tell you but I will sum it up to the important things. Firstly, even though you have an academic advisor always check to make sure you are in the right class. Trust me this will save you a lot of stress. Don't procrastinate, while college is not as hard as they said, it is completly different, so stay on top of everything. Finally, don't forget who you are. I know everyone thinks you need to change and become this classy, proper lady, but that's not you. You're goofy and sometimes a cussword or two slips out, but that's what makes you, you. You're loved and you have an amazing suppport system that wll always be there. You make it through all the rough times and struggles and in the end you become a more refined version of yourself. That's what this whole adventure has been about. We turn out okay so don't worry.

A person that is not willing to get involved should not attend this school. We are very involveled with our community and with so many organizations it is hard to not be involved. Also most students that go to sam houston are known for having southern manners and being respectful and do not take kidly to rude, dishonest people.

LaShawn

Any guidance I received about college life was from a counselor who processed me and about 200 other kids in a 48 hour period a week before I graduated high school. Somehow that wasn’t enough to prepare me for what was to come. I never knew just how much of a balancing act college is until I experienced it myself. To my younger self I would say to spend your precious time wisely. Don’t waste all night at that unauthorized kegger and spend the next day hungover. Instead, go to bed early so you can make it to lab on time and focused. Not only is your time in college precious, it’s expensive. Someone is paying thousands of dollars and investing in you so that you’ll be able to reinvest in the future. Don’t squander that. And it feels a lot better to know you aced that exam because you studied hard rather than knowing you flunked it because you partied hard. College is what you make of it, as they say. How will you spend your best years?

Morgan

If I was given the chance to talk with my high school senior self, I would first hug myself and provide reassurance. Knowing the uncertain feelings of a first generation college student, I would tell myself to keep pressing the limits because I will succeed. I would reassure myself that it gets better and that high school is only a stepping stone in the game of life. I have a life full of experiences to encounter and no matter what stay true to my values. I would tell myself not to give my mom such a hard time, it’s not easy but admit when your wrong and she is right (it will happen a lot). Most of all I would say don’t panic! Life has a way of working itself out if you just stay focused, determined and humble. To quote The Rolling Stones “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime you find, you get what you need.”

The advising board is not the best.

Sam Houston State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.