Rocklin, CA
Sierra College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sierra College

Sean

I would tell myself not to take college so easy it is a huge step between high school. I would also tell myself to meet a consuelor more so i could set up a better plan for my degree and not waste so much time on unesscary classes.

Some one who has to work to support themselves either being an older adult or someone that doesnt have too much money avialable to them yet want to attend good colleges.

How many cheap it is compared to going to universities right of high school. That you can recieve that same education and transfer to your desired school saving thousands of dollars a year in tuition.

Savannah

I would tell myself to get rid of the guy because he is holding me back and hurting me. Then I would tell myself to work harder and get on track with scholarships. Keep my head up and do not let high school drama knock me down. Get started with my life earlier so it did not hit me as hard and live my life. Actually be happy with where I am going and who I am. Self- esteem helps loads when transitioning.

That growing up is very hard and if your not ready for it it will hit you in the face with reality. That things after high school are not a piece of cake.

Student's that are not willing to do the work and try. I know most people believe you can skate through community college, but honestly you still have to work and keep focused don't let yourself get too overwhelmed.

George

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice about my future, I would tell myself to pursue what I really love. While i have figured out that I should study my passion, I wish I would've realized it earlier. When choosing a course of study, many people are concerned about practicality as opposed to passion. Because of this, they often choose something that they are not truly dedicated to or do not love; they go for a field or job that is considered "stable." The fact of the matter is, however, that no matter what you love, there is always an opportunity for you. I wish I would have began studying music earlier in my college career; I would have enjoyed school much more. I am glad that I made the change now, and I find myself more deeply interested in going to school and continuing my education. If you do what you love you'll never have to work a day in your life, and I now truly understand the relevance of that statement in my life.

I wish I had known of all the resources available to me before i came. Knowing that there all a variety of ways to get the help I need is always something that is comforting in your first year of college. There are counseling and career connections, as well as alot more financial aid than i thought I could earn. There are so many things to help you in so many ways.

If you are a person who is financially set back, Sierra is good for you. With a wide variety of financial aid available and a low cost to attend, this college allows you to learn at a price that won't put you in debt. Even if you aren't severely strained financially, Sierra is a great way to save money before jumping into a larger university. If you are not sure of a major, Sierra is a great place to go to find out. Utillizing counseling and career resources help you to figure out your future.

Brianna

Sierra College is best know for its nursing and firefighting programs, and for being the best community college in the state.

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior and tell myself what I know now about college and making the transition, I would tell myself that there is no shame in going to a junior college and that the classroom enviornment is very welcoming. At my high school, students were pressured to go to a four year university right out of high school and were told that it was best if that school was away from home. I would also tell myself that the classes are very interesting, that I would already know many people in those classes, that the transition wouldn't be as hard as I thought it would be, and that on top of all of this I would still get good grades and have a great college experience. I would also point out that my time at a four year university (especially in this time of decreased class offerings) would be made easier by having all of my general education classes already done, and that I would save a huge amount of money. This is what I would say if I could go back.

There is nothing really bad about Sierra College, but the one thing that could be better would be school spirit. The only people who really go to the games or participate at Homecoming are the players, the cheerleaders and their friends and family.

Randi

In most of my classes, the students usually are fully interested in the subject and they often are very communicative in the classroom.

I would tell myself that I need to make sure to not only use the time in the classroom wisely, but I also need to take time outside of the classroom to study. I must study beyond what the professor's have discussed during class and to set up meetings with my professors to discuss what I should study more in depth. I would also tell myself that there are many resources when I'm in need of assistance, so don't be afraid to use them!

The type of person that should attend Sierra should be a hard working student who is looking to acheive a goal successfully. There are many different educational routes that a person could take while attending Sierra. Therefore a person could attend if they have a specific goal in mind or if they need to search through the many different classes to find what catches their attention best.

Sierra College is a gorgeous campus, full of greenery and foilage with the spaciousness that allows one to take a deep breath and really soak in the welcoming atmosphere.

The students at Sierra College are a highly diversified group of eager learners with representatives from every age group, ethnicity, and culture.

I would have much to say to my highschool self if ever given the opportunity to do so. I would, first and foremost, warn myself about the importance of deadlines and good work ethic. Applications must be turned in at least on time, if not as early as possible before the deadline. I would tell myself not to hesitate to go see a counselor about possible academic pathways, and remind myself that an academic counselor can mean the difference between a goal reached and a goal unfulfilled. I would work to encourage myself, and to reinforce my ambitions. I would remind myself that many people are not 100% sure of what they want to do when they graduate highschool, but that immersing myself in an academic atmosphere and trying different things will greatly help to make up my mind regarding my future career. Lastly, I would warn myself against the dangers of taking time off between highschool and college, as many people who do so never return to the college track.

Kimberly

In college, there are a so many different types of people raging in age, race, and views on topics. It is intersting to hear so many different views from so many different people.

Dear Kim as a High School Senior, I know your last year of high school was a fun filled year with little stress and little work. However, get ready for 4 years of long study hours and working hard to keep that GPA up. When you get into college you realize how important taking the time to really study is. You realize how important it is to read ahead in your textbook and to always pay close attention in class. You learn to study at every break you have and don't take any time for granted. Start building these habits and ideas into your life now as a high school senior. It will make that transition into college so much eaiser. Save every penny you can. College is expensive and you really don't realize the vaule of a dollar until you see your bank account at zero. Work harder than you ever had, that work will pay off with scholarships someday. College is tough but if you stick it out and do your best you will reach the end of that long road ahead. Sincerly, Kim as College student

The worst thing about school is probably the extra stress. I feel that now I am paying for my education I have to get straight A's. I study harder in college than I ever had to do in High School. My High School did not prepare me for college. The college homework load and tests are much harder than High School ever was. I have to put forth my best effort all the time just to keep my A. College is a lot of work and more stress, but I know that someday it will pay off.

Sierra College is best known for its students and faculty members. My fellow classmates support my academic goals by tutoring, being a friend, and donating their time to help others. I am a smart young woman, but I do not always know the answer to a science question of the correct formula to use on a calculus question. However, with the help of my classmates I am able to get all the work done at ease. Teachers are more than instructors. They are mentors who help prepare us for the long and succesful road ahead.

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would tell her to apply for as many scholarships my time allowed for. College may look like a fun and glamourous lifestlye, but glamour is not cheap. Even a community college has a price. From tuition, registration and book fees to parking passes, lunch and a night out with friends, school costs a lot of money. Money that an 18 year old girl with a car payment, phone bill and rent will not be able to come up with, without the assistance of a scholarship, financial aid, student loan, or Cal Grant. One other piece of advice I would give myself is to not stress over college applications and enjoy my senior year as much as possible. Colleges are going to be around forever but you only get a senior year once. Besides, the easiest way to go is junior college. An easy online application and you're in. Take 30 minutes to apply and go on enjoying the best and most exciting year of your high school career.

The worst thing about Sierra College is the lack of student activities. The only student activities available are posted on what looks to be a tall tree stump. There is no formal way of announcing ways for students to get involved in school projects, parties, group meetings, or co-ed functions. As a student going into my first year of college I would like to meet and mingle with other students as soon as I step foot on campus. However, Sierra makes it difficult to connect with other students when the activities are not adequately announced.

As a high school senior, I was in a rush to get out of high school. It was not that I had a bad experience, but because I felt that I was ready to move on and find my way in the world. I was a part of student council, I was a Varsity cheerleader, I was dating the football star and I even was taking the right classes to graduate, but I was ready to take the big step. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would have told myself to enjoy the time that I had in high school. I took for granted all the help I recieved from my parents that I dont recieve any longer. I would also tell myself to save my money, be careful who I spent my time with in college, and that my future is the most important goal. I would have told myself that I should stay true to my own goals and values even while exposed to other's goals and values. Most importantly, I would have reminded myself to remain true to myself. Thats the best advice I ever recieved.

I'd say ultimate convienience. There are 4 Sierra College campuses throughout the area. One in Truckee, one in Nevada County, one in Roseville, and the largest one in Rocklin. You are able to take classes at any of these locations without transfering credits because they belong to the same school! I would also brag about the amount of care that is taken into satistying students. From our fabulous health center to the cafeteria, the school looks out for their students and takes care of them to the best of their ablility.

The most frustrating problem that my school, Sierra College, faces currently is the demand of classes. We have 40+ students to one teacher as of now. California is now in a budget crisis where education funding has been cut drastically. Due to this development, my community college is limited on how many students may be in one classroom with one teacher. This has caused the demand for classes to rise, and the quantity of classes to fall. It is very hard to get the classes needed to graduate with the required 60 units to transfer to a university in California.

Frances

College is a hard transition from High School. As an adult, you are going to determine how much this period in your life is going to help or hinder your future success, so don't waste it. The most important thing you can do is make goals for yourself and decide on what is important to you. Focus on what you want for your future and beleive in yourself because you can do anything! College is all about you. You need to learn what you can handle and what your specific needs are. You will have to adjust to college classes and figure out how many units you can handle. You will be expected to work hard, and what you put in will be what you get, or your resulting grades You also need to know how to take care of yourself and identify your individual needs. Don't hesitate to ask for help. Seek out what you need and you will get it. Many people will be there for reasons other than to learn, but don't get distracted from why you are there. Don't be afraid of failing. There is more risk in not trying than failing.

College is one of the most important descisions you will make, so make a plan and stick to it. Don't be afraid to ask the alumini questions, or go to a councelor for advice or ask for help. College is not like High School, it needs to be taken more seriously and bad grades will reflect on you and your future career! Don't try to do too much at once; first figure out how many units you can handle, and also find a teacher who fits your learning style. Be open to changing yourself and what you want!

I cannot say very much against my College. It is one of the best community colleges in California, and it has a great science department with excellent faculty. But the worst thing is the music department. Music is my best subject; however, I don't take any music classes becuase of the lack of support in the music department. It is poorly funded. The theatre has a bad audio quality and it echoes, so that is a problem. The music department has worsened. There is also no longer an orchestra. It could use improvement.

Sierra College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.