Rocklin, CA
Sierra College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sierra College

Sierra College is a gorgeous campus, full of greenery and foilage with the spaciousness that allows one to take a deep breath and really soak in the welcoming atmosphere.

The students at Sierra College are a highly diversified group of eager learners with representatives from every age group, ethnicity, and culture.

I would have much to say to my highschool self if ever given the opportunity to do so. I would, first and foremost, warn myself about the importance of deadlines and good work ethic. Applications must be turned in at least on time, if not as early as possible before the deadline. I would tell myself not to hesitate to go see a counselor about possible academic pathways, and remind myself that an academic counselor can mean the difference between a goal reached and a goal unfulfilled. I would work to encourage myself, and to reinforce my ambitions. I would remind myself that many people are not 100% sure of what they want to do when they graduate highschool, but that immersing myself in an academic atmosphere and trying different things will greatly help to make up my mind regarding my future career. Lastly, I would warn myself against the dangers of taking time off between highschool and college, as many people who do so never return to the college track.

Kimberly

In college, there are a so many different types of people raging in age, race, and views on topics. It is intersting to hear so many different views from so many different people.

Dear Kim as a High School Senior, I know your last year of high school was a fun filled year with little stress and little work. However, get ready for 4 years of long study hours and working hard to keep that GPA up. When you get into college you realize how important taking the time to really study is. You realize how important it is to read ahead in your textbook and to always pay close attention in class. You learn to study at every break you have and don't take any time for granted. Start building these habits and ideas into your life now as a high school senior. It will make that transition into college so much eaiser. Save every penny you can. College is expensive and you really don't realize the vaule of a dollar until you see your bank account at zero. Work harder than you ever had, that work will pay off with scholarships someday. College is tough but if you stick it out and do your best you will reach the end of that long road ahead. Sincerly, Kim as College student

The worst thing about school is probably the extra stress. I feel that now I am paying for my education I have to get straight A's. I study harder in college than I ever had to do in High School. My High School did not prepare me for college. The college homework load and tests are much harder than High School ever was. I have to put forth my best effort all the time just to keep my A. College is a lot of work and more stress, but I know that someday it will pay off.

Sierra College is best known for its students and faculty members. My fellow classmates support my academic goals by tutoring, being a friend, and donating their time to help others. I am a smart young woman, but I do not always know the answer to a science question of the correct formula to use on a calculus question. However, with the help of my classmates I am able to get all the work done at ease. Teachers are more than instructors. They are mentors who help prepare us for the long and succesful road ahead.

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would tell her to apply for as many scholarships my time allowed for. College may look like a fun and glamourous lifestlye, but glamour is not cheap. Even a community college has a price. From tuition, registration and book fees to parking passes, lunch and a night out with friends, school costs a lot of money. Money that an 18 year old girl with a car payment, phone bill and rent will not be able to come up with, without the assistance of a scholarship, financial aid, student loan, or Cal Grant. One other piece of advice I would give myself is to not stress over college applications and enjoy my senior year as much as possible. Colleges are going to be around forever but you only get a senior year once. Besides, the easiest way to go is junior college. An easy online application and you're in. Take 30 minutes to apply and go on enjoying the best and most exciting year of your high school career.

The worst thing about Sierra College is the lack of student activities. The only student activities available are posted on what looks to be a tall tree stump. There is no formal way of announcing ways for students to get involved in school projects, parties, group meetings, or co-ed functions. As a student going into my first year of college I would like to meet and mingle with other students as soon as I step foot on campus. However, Sierra makes it difficult to connect with other students when the activities are not adequately announced.

As a high school senior, I was in a rush to get out of high school. It was not that I had a bad experience, but because I felt that I was ready to move on and find my way in the world. I was a part of student council, I was a Varsity cheerleader, I was dating the football star and I even was taking the right classes to graduate, but I was ready to take the big step. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would have told myself to enjoy the time that I had in high school. I took for granted all the help I recieved from my parents that I dont recieve any longer. I would also tell myself to save my money, be careful who I spent my time with in college, and that my future is the most important goal. I would have told myself that I should stay true to my own goals and values even while exposed to other's goals and values. Most importantly, I would have reminded myself to remain true to myself. Thats the best advice I ever recieved.

I'd say ultimate convienience. There are 4 Sierra College campuses throughout the area. One in Truckee, one in Nevada County, one in Roseville, and the largest one in Rocklin. You are able to take classes at any of these locations without transfering credits because they belong to the same school! I would also brag about the amount of care that is taken into satistying students. From our fabulous health center to the cafeteria, the school looks out for their students and takes care of them to the best of their ablility.

The most frustrating problem that my school, Sierra College, faces currently is the demand of classes. We have 40+ students to one teacher as of now. California is now in a budget crisis where education funding has been cut drastically. Due to this development, my community college is limited on how many students may be in one classroom with one teacher. This has caused the demand for classes to rise, and the quantity of classes to fall. It is very hard to get the classes needed to graduate with the required 60 units to transfer to a university in California.

Frances

College is a hard transition from High School. As an adult, you are going to determine how much this period in your life is going to help or hinder your future success, so don't waste it. The most important thing you can do is make goals for yourself and decide on what is important to you. Focus on what you want for your future and beleive in yourself because you can do anything! College is all about you. You need to learn what you can handle and what your specific needs are. You will have to adjust to college classes and figure out how many units you can handle. You will be expected to work hard, and what you put in will be what you get, or your resulting grades You also need to know how to take care of yourself and identify your individual needs. Don't hesitate to ask for help. Seek out what you need and you will get it. Many people will be there for reasons other than to learn, but don't get distracted from why you are there. Don't be afraid of failing. There is more risk in not trying than failing.

College is one of the most important descisions you will make, so make a plan and stick to it. Don't be afraid to ask the alumini questions, or go to a councelor for advice or ask for help. College is not like High School, it needs to be taken more seriously and bad grades will reflect on you and your future career! Don't try to do too much at once; first figure out how many units you can handle, and also find a teacher who fits your learning style. Be open to changing yourself and what you want!

I cannot say very much against my College. It is one of the best community colleges in California, and it has a great science department with excellent faculty. But the worst thing is the music department. Music is my best subject; however, I don't take any music classes becuase of the lack of support in the music department. It is poorly funded. The theatre has a bad audio quality and it echoes, so that is a problem. The music department has worsened. There is also no longer an orchestra. It could use improvement.

Heather

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior with the knowledge I have now, the best advice I could give myself would be to come prepared. I would tell my past self make sure to look into what schools you would like to transfer to and look into the general requirements needed for those schools. If you attend a Junior College before a University not all courses are transferable, and not knowing which transfer may cause you to have to retake some courses. I would also tell myself that taking general education classes at a Junior college can be cheaper and easier. Taking a variety of courses at a Junior College can also help you when deciding what to major in. I would also advise my past self that it is easy to fall behind. It can seem harmless to miss a few classes to hang out with new friends, but falling behind in a class can happen quickly. College is a lot of fun but you need to be sure to set aside time to study and do homework.

I wish I had known which school I wanted to transfer to. It would have made it easier to pick the right classes and made it easier to transfer. Some classes offered at Sierra College do not transfer to other schools and knowing which shcool I was transfering to would have allowed me to meet thier requirements.

The most frustrating thing about Sierra College for me is the limited medical classes offered. They offer a nursing program that is on a lottery system and EMT courses, but no paramedic program.

Jordan

The advice I would give myself as a senior in high school while making the transition to college would be, "Focus. Study. Relax." Focusing is a key aspect in that you have so much more freedom in college and your work and grades are strictly based upon your motivation to complete work. In the beginning, I was so overwhelmed with the differences in college that I lost focus several times, and that affected me greatly. Studying needs to be a most practiced ritual as you cannot just expect to pass a test or surprise quiz off of things you read through once. When you study and begin to remember, it will serve you later down the road; during finals in the same class, in an advancing class, and later towards a career. Relaxing is vital in that a student will get stressed no matter what, and small breaks are needed in between homework. Whether it is taking a bubble bath to sooth your nerves or going to a party, a student needs to relax in whichever way suites them. Strictly school and no play only ticks a toll on the student and holds them back from their true potential.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend Sierra are people who like to smoke or do drugs. Just recently, Sierra College has turned into a smoke-free campus, and the Rocklin Police are the campus security who are always busting many students for drug sales. Many people who smoke have changed schools or quite smoking. Furthermore, the contract Sierra has made with the Rocklin Police department has been significantly extended and increased, so more people who use and sell illegal substances will be caught, cited, and possibly expelled. The same goes for those who smoke on campus now.

Honestly, I would tell myself to choose my classes wisely. I would inform my past self to find my passion and pursue it indefinitely. As a result, I would take only the classes which pertain to my major. This would save me time and energy by not taking an unnecessary class. I know this answer is simple and short, but it is the truth; and I believe that truth is the single most significant and powerful characteristic held in Homo sapiens.

Anybody can attend my school. Sierra College does not discriminate against race, age, size, disability, or social status. The type of person who should attend my school is the person who wants to learn the most. If a well educated person chose to take classes at my school, it would not be a challenge for them. If a student who was open minded and eager to learn new concepts attended my school, then they would benefit the most from being there.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the process of adding classes. It is challenging because there are many students who want to be enrolled in a class without previously registering. It is hard on the teacher because he or she must choose who to add into the class over another. This results in students not being able to take the classes they prefer. The solution to this problem is to register online for classes before the final deadline, so that the preferred classes will still be available.

Brett

Knowledge is one of the most valuable things in this world. All that any person needs to do to gain knowledge is to listen with an open mind. To be able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior would give me some essential advice that I wish I would have had. First, I would tell myself to reach for the stars and apply for colleges that seem out of reach. To apply and be rejected is more gratifying than not applying at all. Instead of doing this, I settled for junior college and took the easy way out by skipping the application process. Little did I know, the hardest task of applying to four year universities is the transfer process. As a senior, I would advise myself to apply for all of the colleges I possibly could. Another tip that I would give myself would be to start the research process much earlier. Research financial aid, scholarships, and different schools as early as possible for the greatest fighting chance. Knowing my plan of attack and staying organized would have helped me immensely. College is not easy, so being prepared is the key.

The worst part about my school is the fact that funding is low. I especially notice the cuts in funding because I am on the swim team. Many of the classrooms need updated technology, but the school simply cannot afford it at the moment. I feel that this situation will work itself out in time, but for now it is quite inconvenient.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of school pride. I understand that Sierra College is a community college, but there is no excuse not to respect the campus. People feel that it is ok to graffiti the bathrooms and leave their trash all over campus. On the up side, the campus is becoming smoke-free in January of 2010. I feel that students should have a bit more pride for their school.

Kenji

I would say take the classes one by one. Dont get overwhelmed and lazy. Keep up with work and try. Never give up.

Very very good mechatronics program. One of the best in the country

Parking is always horrible, its always hard to find somewhere to park.

Sierra College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.